Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I also wonder how Samsung will include dual speakers in such a bezel-less design.

Surely they're not sticking to one downward firing speaker...

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Can't wait to see the leaks. I never had a scratch on my Note 7 that I used without a screen protector, and the same goes with current S7 Edges. No screen protectors. If it wasn't for the Note 7 issues, I would have never had the opportunity to test scratch resistance on my phone in real world usage. Now that I know Gorilla Glass 4 and 5 are plenty scratch resistant for my use, I'll never use another screen protector again. So I'll be able to enjoy that 90% screen to body ratio even more.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC and MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Can't wait to see the leaks. I never had a scratch on my Note 7 that I used without a screen protector, and the same goes with current S7 Edges. No screen protectors. If it wasn't for the Note 7 issues, I would have never had the opportunity to test scratch resistance on my phone in real world usage. Now that I know Gorilla Glass 4 and 5 are plenty scratch resistant for my use, I'll never use another screen protector again. So I'll be able to enjoy that 90% screen to body ratio even more.

Yep, my S7 Edge is still naked from day one. No noticeable scratches or marks of any kind.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yep, my S7 Edge is still naked from day one. No noticeable scratches or marks of any kind.
Oh you're brave! I've got mine in the folio case with the clear window in it. Thank goodness, too, because last night I forgot to take it out of my back pocket before I got in the car and I sat on it! :confused::eek:

Fortunately I remembered before I put my full weight down on it. Thankfully the case took the weight that did start to settle on it. The S7Edge lives another day! Thank goodness I lost weight. I'll be grateful to Apple Watch and those health rings for that!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Oh you're brave! I've got mine in the folio case with the clear window in it. Thank goodness, too, because last night I forgot to take it out of my back pocket before I got in the car and I sat on it! :confused::eek:

Fortunately I remembered before I put my full weight down on it. Thankfully the case took the weight that did start to settle on it. The S7Edge lives another day! Thank goodness I lost weight. I'll be grateful to Apple Watch and those health rings for that!

Close call. Glad it was okay.

Reactions: 5105973

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
Why can't the trigger word be customized to whatever we want? I don't want to say "OK Google" or "Hey Bixby" in public.

Seems like it would be super easy to implement.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Why do all these companies think people actually care about voice assistants?
We've reaching points where things we really want haven't been improved for years such as battery technology (we all want a smartphone that lasts for two or three days with usage) so as developments in these areas falter; they have to develop something, anything, to justify the constant update cycle, and I guess AI Assistants are just one of those at moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
facepalm Samsung..come on. Stick to making great hardware, stop with the duplicate apps

Why can't they try? No one complains when Apple does it. I feel Apple should stick to hardware and OS but they branched out to many services like maps and music streaming, both duplicates of Google maps and Spotify.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Why can't they try? No one complains when Apple does it. I feel Apple should stick to hardware and OS but they branched out to many services like maps and music streaming, both duplicates of Google maps and Spotify.

But Apples services are the only ones that come pre-installed on your iOS device. They are not duplicated unless you choose to use alternative apps and install them additionally.

Samsung's duplicates are pre-installed additionally to the already better versions that come either baked into Android or mandatory installed according to their pre-requisite licensing with Google. That's the difference.

Adding insult to injury, you can then mostly only 'disable' these duplicates at best and can not properly uninstall them. Wasting resources on your device.

So Samsung are essentially spending resources on developing apps which will have to stand as duplicates on their devices because the Android licensing requires them to pre-install google's services. When Google's services are then better than the duplicate ones Samsung has developed, it makes you wonder and question why Samsung bother spending that resource in the first instance .... especially when development time and resources could be spent elsewhere.

Samples of duplication that come pre-installed on most Galaxy devices ...

1. Gallery - Samsung backup now supporting photos too.
2. Google Photos with photo backup
3. OneDrive (part of Microsoft deal) which likewise offers photos backup.

4. Google Docs / Sheets
5. Microsoft Office apps

6. Google Play Music
7. Samsung Music
8. Deezer / Spotify pre-installed in some regions

9. Samsung Game Centre
10. Google Games

11. Samsung Marketplace Store
12. Google Play

13. S-Voice
14. Google Now

And I could go on ....

Now add Bixby.

Last edited:

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I'm sorry I have to disagree with a few of you. Samsung has had a new focus on software since the S7. So far so good. Bixby sounds extremely promising, especially when you consider its from the creatirs of Siri. I love the concept of how Bixby is completely open to developers to fully explore.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN13101Q?il=0

I'm sure most of you have seen what Bixby will be capable of.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm sorry I have to disagree with a few of you. Samsung has had a new focus on software since the S7. So far so good. Bixby sounds extremely promising, especially when you consider its from the creatirs of Siri. I love the concept of how Bixby is completely open to developers to fully explore.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN13101Q?il=0

I'm sure most of you have seen what Bixby will be capable of.

I agree to a point though. Only if Bixby (hopefully they change the name) is better than the builtin Google product. Otherwise it is another duplicate app. I can see them doing this if they are going full steam ahead with Tizen though as they will need a voice assistant.

Reactions: MRU

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I agree to a point though. Only if Bixby (hopefully they change the name) is better than the builtin Google product. Otherwise it is another duplicate app. I can see them doing this if they are going full steam ahead with Tizen though as they will need a voice assistant.

Yeah, I can see how this would truly be a perfect fit on a Tizen phone. Really looking forward to a Galaxy class Tizen phone release. But for now, I'm in a wait and see mode for Bixby on the S8. Let me just add, you have no clue how much I miss my Note 7. But, I digress, back on topic.

Reactions: jamezr and MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.