Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
My biggest hope is that they redo the home button. It's time to either go capacitive or introduce new technology that can allow the fingerprint sensor to be underneath the display. It's really time to move on from physical home buttons.

On the software side, Samsung should continue improving TW. If their marriage of TW and MM is any indication, TW with Nougat should be superb.

Lastly, please start selling unlocked versions earlier. However, I'm not sure the unlocked S7's are actually getting updated any quicker than the Tmobile S7. Doesn't seem like it, so this last bit is not a dealbreaker because I'm thankfully on Tmobile. Even so, unlocked versions just means more options for consumers.
[shrug] Only thing I can suggest is consider an LG G5 in the meantime. If you want to save money, I got a used LG G4 for $220. I was concerned about not having a physical home button, but I did get used to it. Especially given the tradeoffs of being able to customize those buttons and having a larger viewing area otherwise.

Nancy bout

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2013
Oh yeah I am NOT gonna upgrade or buy another I'm gonna wait it out -
6s PLus almost paid for (120$) which is a drop in bucket lol
I just can't wait but will! If I upgrade to 7 plus in black - I KNOW ill be not thrilled (maybe I'll TRY it for 2 weeks?)
BUT---- better off waiting

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Curious to see how the S8 actually looks and possibly succeeds. I think I will wait for the iPhone 8 Plus before making a decision. Can't go with Samsung with a Qualcomm processor and carrier bloat because software makes up the bulk of the experience.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I sure hope Samsung don't go the Dual Rear Camera route with the Galaxy S8, phones with dual cameras look awful, and from what I have seen, none of the Dual Camera 2016 phones and phablets even came close to the Galaxy S7/S7 Edge, Note 7 and Pixel/Pixel XL.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I sure hope Samsung don't go the Dual Rear Camera route with the Galaxy S8, phones with dual cameras look awful, and from what I have seen, none of the Dual Camera 2016 phones and phablets even came close to the Galaxy S7/S7 Edge, Note 7 and Pixel/Pixel XL.

I dunno... having two lenses may make a more complete experience.

Maybe Samsung goes the Apple route and only include 2 lenses with the Edge...we shall see.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
I dunno... having two lenses may make a more complete experience.

Maybe Samsung goes the Apple route and only include 2 lenses with the Edge...we shall see.
How does it make a more complete experience? None of these Dual Camera Phones seem to offer anything truly concrete over what Galaxy S7 and Google Pixel offer, lol.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
How does it make a more complete experience? None of these Dual Camera Phones seem to offer anything truly concrete over what Galaxy S7 and Google Pixel offer, lol.

Because having two possible lense choices to choose from on any picture you take is generally better than one.

Yes, it's not the only consideration but...

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Must say the more I use my S7 Edge, the more I cannot wait for S8 as I wonder how much more can be done, the S7 Edge is proving to be one awesome device, the only way I could imagine improving it is with an even bigger battery , USB Type-C and Grace UI.
And it is already getting Grace UI in Nougat :)

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Must say the more I use my S7 Edge, the more I cannot wait for S8 as I wonder how much more can be done, the S7 Edge is proving to be one awesome device, the only way I could imagine improving it is with an even bigger battery , USB Type-C and Grace UI.
And it is already getting Grace UI in Nougat :)

I would also like to add...

1) Support for an S-Pen, which is currently rumored.
2) Further streamlining of TW, which is most likely happening.
3) Increase screen to body ratio (already a rumor)
4) Just use the Note 7 form factor. I still think it's really the best out there.
5) Make SD card slot also compatible with their new UFS cards.
6) More MP on the rear and front cameras. I like the flexibility of cropping.
7) Iris Scanner, loved it on the Note 7

That's about it for now.
I'm also loving my S7 Edge. It's been flawless so far.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
You should make an impressions thread, I love trying budget phones. I have a ZMAX Pro and really like it

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I swear Samsung did a marketing campaign mocking Apple's lack of headphone jack. LOL.

Both companies make brutally idiotic mistakes. Jobs mocked the first gen Galaxy Note. Now, Apple makes a Plus model with each new iPhone iteration.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Great read. I agree.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/12/9/13884662/samsung-headphone-jack-user-hostile-stupid

Taking the headphone jack off phones is user-hostile and stupid when Samsung does it too

For once I actually agree with The Verge.

Removing the the 3.5 mm audio jack is like Microsoft forcing a touch-based interface in Windows 8.

Fortunately for the world and for Microsoft. They didn't get away with it. Unfortunately for all of us, it looks like Apple and now Samsung will.
[doublepost=1483048592][/doublepost]
I swear Samsung did a marketing campaign mocking Apple's lack of headphone jack. LOL.

One of the executives made a comment about the inclusion of the headphone jack at the release of the Note 7.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Both companies make brutally idiotic mistakes. Jobs mocked the first gen Galaxy Note. Now, Apple makes a Plus model with each new iPhone iteration.
And it's even larger than the Note5 and S7 Edge.

Honestly, how do they manage to make a 5.5inch screen device so huge and heavy??? My Aunt got a iPhone 7 Plus, and it is much larger than my S7 Edge, it actually feels larger and heavier than my 2yearold Note 4 with 5.7inch Display, while the iPhone has smaller capacity battery than them, and what seems like less hardware in general, they even removed a headphone jack and it's accompanying hardware. Incredible.

iPhone 7 PLUS is more comparable to a LG V20 which has not just a 5.7inch Display but another 2.1inch display ON TOP OF THAT, lol. And yet you get a Display same size as a much much smaller S7 Edge.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
And it's even larger than the Note5 and S7 Edge.

Honestly, how do they manage to make a 5.5inch screen device so huge and heavy??? My Aunt got a iPhone 7 Plus, and it is much larger than my S7 Edge, it actually feels larger and heavier than my 2yearold Note 4 with 5.7inch Display, while the iPhone has smaller capacity battery than them, and what seems like less hardware in general, they even removed a headphone jack and it's accompanying hardware. Incredible.

iPhone 7 PLUS is more comparable to a LG V20 which has not just a 5.7inch Display but another 2.1inch display ON TOP OF THAT, lol. And yet you get a Display same size as a much much smaller S7 Edge.

Right... except the note 4 is actually wider and thicker than the iPhone 7 plus.

How can a wider and thicker phone feel smaller?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Right... except the note 4 is actually wider and thicker than the iPhone 7 plus.

How can a wider and thicker phone feel smaller?
What does it matter, the Note 4 is over 2years old and I've borrowed mine to someone so when I played on the 7 Plus I was quite shocked at its size and heft vs. The S7 Edge and felt that it's closer to the older Note 4.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

The V20 feels smaller in hand compared to the 7+, and visually looks more compact. The bezels on the iPhone got to go. Also, even the smallest back case, makes the 7+ feel and look bulky. The V20 is slightly taller than the 7+ when you put them side by side.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
My biggest hope is that they redo the home button. It's time to either go capacitive or introduce new technology that can allow the fingerprint sensor to be underneath the display. It's really time to move on from physical home buttons.

On the software side, Samsung should continue improving TW. If their marriage of TW and MM is any indication, TW with Nougat should be superb.

Lastly, please start selling unlocked versions earlier. However, I'm not sure the unlocked S7's are actually getting updated any quicker than the Tmobile S7. Doesn't seem like it, so this last bit is not a dealbreaker because I'm thankfully on Tmobile. Even so, unlocked versions just means more options for consumers.
I dont have any issues with the home button with the fingerprint sensor. It works fast for me even when i dont think i had my thumb on it very well,.... meaning in the correct spot.....it still reads it fast. A capacitive button would be cool too but either way i dont care. Its working well for me.
[doublepost=1483295234][/doublepost]
I agree with what you are saying.....I don't think we are that far apart. Android has the unique problem of a bunch of emerging companies that are producing great phones at a great value and lower price point. But some of the people buying those phones are apple customer as well. They see the return of technology for the price and either switch or add second phone
So Apple's problem is they either has to lower their price point (which they are reluctant to do) or introduce new must have products or features.

The iPhone SE has a lower price point but also removes some features as well.
Apple isnt going to ever lower their price points. Never have, never will. Siri still sucks, the OS still lacks features. Im not sure why so many are so loyal to them while lacking like they do. Still good phones but geez, TRY to catch up?
I guess some people dont care to have freedom of choice and thats ok. simple system has its advantages i suppose but im no techie and i enjoy the extras i get from Android.....and Samsungs extras on the Galaxy.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
I dont have any issues with the home button with the fingerprint sensor. It works fast for me even when i dont think i had my thumb on it very well,.... meaning in the correct spot.....it still reads it fast. A capacitive button would be cool too but either way i dont care. Its working well for me.
[doublepost=1483295234][/doublepost]
Apple isnt going to ever lower their price points. Never have, never will. Siri still sucks, the OS still lacks features. Im not sure why so many are so loyal to them while lacking like they do. Still good phones but geez, TRY to catch up?
I guess some people dont care to have freedom of choice and thats ok. simple system has its advantages i suppose but im no techie and i enjoy the extras i get from Android.....and Samsungs extras on the Galaxy.

Because people like phones that work and work smoothly without having to modify them to work properly. The iPhone does that and does it well. Siri works better than Android's form of it from my experience on all my Android phones.

Reactions: Six8

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Because people like phones that work and work smoothly without having to modify them to work properly. The iPhone does that and does it well. Siri works better than Android's form of it from my experience on all my Android phones.
I don't modify mine and it works just fine. What are you even talking about there?And Siri is a disaster compared to Google Now. Not even close to working as well.

Reactions: Klyster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.