Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I had the S6 Edge. The battery wasn't too bad for me. My issues were that it got extraordinarily hot and the edge screen made it hard for me to hold without accidentally touching the screen.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I've had mine since release. My lag didn't start till about 4 months ago.

Fair enough. I had that problem with the S6 that it lagged after a while

But none with S7. Samsung really got rid of a lot of the additional bloat ware they used to have. I also disabled a lot of that bloat ware or uninstalled what I could which may have helped.

I keep a black background (which also serves to extend battery life due to the nature of the Oled tech) with a dark theme as well. Battery easily lasts all day (end the day with anywhere from 15-70% depending on usage, most often ~40%...I also use always on display) and it's smooth.

I also think with the release of nougat on s7 that it will be even smoother as Samsung is further trimming bloat and streamlining their version of android.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
LAG LAG LAG. That is all Android does mostly on Samsung phones. But it is terrible. You have to turn off a ton of stuff to stop the lag, and save battery life. Gotta love it when I may need to make a 911 call, and I can't get into the dialer fast enough because my phone stops responding. Seen that a ton of times.

Google NOW just came out. Again, Siri was much better than anything Android HAD.
The lag on this aging iPhone 5 is so bad that frankly I've gotten used to it. :D

Also Google Now (now called Google Assistant) has been out for a while. Perhaps confused the two?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Also Google Now (now called Google Assistant) has been out for a while. Perhaps confused the two?

Actually, Google Now and Assistant still remain two separate entities ...

Even if you have a pixel, if your not using one of the few supported language regions then you won't get the assistant feature, you will get the now common Google Now instead.
A long press won't in those instances bring up the assistant interface, it will just default to show you Google-on-tap like any other OEM device on Marshmallow / Nougat.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
LAG LAG LAG. That is all Android does mostly on Samsung phones. But it is terrible. You have to turn off a ton of stuff to stop the lag, and save battery life. Gotta love it when I may need to make a 911 call, and I can't get into the dialer fast enough because my phone stops responding. Seen that a ton of times.

Google NOW just came out. Again, Siri was much better than anything Android HAD.

You have had to call 911 ton of times?

As far as Siri being better than Ok Google, that has not been my experience.

Reactions: nordique

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Actually, Google Now and Assistant still remain two separate entities ...

Even if you have a pixel, if your not using one of the few supported language regions then you won't get the assistant feature, you will get the now common Google Now instead.
A long press won't in those instances bring up the assistant interface, it will just default to show you Google-on-tap like any other OEM device on Marshmallow / Nougat.
Oh, I wasn't aware. Thank you.

Reactions: MRU

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Galaxy-S8.jpg

S8 Maybe?
https://www.sammobile.com/2017/01/0...r-look-at-the-galaxy-s8-but-it-probably-isnt/

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Let the flood gates open wide on the leaks. I'll be looking at the S8 as an indicator for what to expect on the Note 8.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
It would be nice if Samsung offered a way to reduce lag and bog, especially when it happens 6 months into their products. Good thing android is customizable.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
It would be nice if Samsung offered a way to reduce lag and bog, especially when it happens 6 months into their products. Good thing android is customizable.

Even better is the fact that not everyone experiences these lag issues. In fact, I would say majority don't. Sorry to hear you got lag. Then again, I don't think there is a single phone where people have not complained of lag. Just glad my experience with my S7 Edge has been nothing but silky smooth.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Even better is the fact that not everyone experiences these lag issues. In fact, I would say majority don't. Sorry to hear you got lag. Then again, I don't think there is a single phone where people have not complained of lag. Just glad my experience with my S7 Edge has been nothing but silky smooth.

Exynos or Snapdragon? Snapdragon is a lot more unstable.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I think Single Core scores matter the most because of core smartphone functions.

All I know is the Note 7 was damn near as snappy as vanilla Android. The 835 and 6gb will most likely make the S8 fly. Especially if Samsung slims down TW/Grace UX even more.

Also, I think the VR will take advantage of multicore.

Also the Note 7 seemed snappier than the iPhone 7 plus. Basically cause of iOS animations.

Reactions: potentmf

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
All I know is the Note 7 was damn near as snappy as vanilla Android. The 835 and 6gb will most likely make the S8 fly. Especially if Samsung slims down TW/Grace UX even more.

Also, I think the VR will take advantage of multicore.

Also the Note 7 seemed snappier than the iPhone 7 plus. Basically cause of iOS animations.

Didn't use the Note 7 so can't comment on that aspect. I do hope that the S8 is everything I want so I can ditch iOS for a top of the line speced phone.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
835 just scrored 210k in AnTuTu someone tell motley fool lol

That benchmark isn't the important one though. It's always about single core geek bench scores because you have to remember that phone calls, texts, and modest web browsing are considered low power functions.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
That benchmark isn't the important one though. It's always about single core geek bench scores because you have to remember that phone calls, texts, and modest web browsing are considered low power functions.

Geekbench is flawed the only reason the iPhones score higher is because of optimised HTML test.if you look at the snapdragon 820 is scrored like 500 in that test and the iPhone does like 30,000 and it majorly boosts it's single core numbers.

the 820 scores 22-2300 in geekbench 3 and in geek bench 4 it drops to like 1500 because of that little test they added to boost the iPhone.

apple owns the browser and has that test optimized to scrore high.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.