Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Just talked to the Samsung USA rep for T-Mobile today. Take this with a grain of salt but he says:

US will get SD 835, 8GB RAM, USB-C, 2K resolution screen, two edge style S8's (no more flat screen model), home button is gone and fingerprint reader area will be at the bottom portion of the screen (just above the bottom bezel) and that recent image leaks are pretty accurate.

P.S. And pre-orders will start end of March and the S8 WILL BE in T-Mobile stores on April 18. (According to him. We shall see.)

It's highly rumored that Samsung will have the 8 GB LPDDR4X memory chip from SK Hynix.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11021/sk-hynix-announces-8-gb-lpddr4x4266-dram-packages

With the display, It's also highly rumored to remain 2K(QHD), But they will ditch Diamond Pentile for RGB, which will increase sharpness and quality, since there will now be 3 subpixels to a pixel instead of 2.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm most excited by two things: the camera gains (best smartphone camera of 2016 getting an upgrade? Can't wait!) and the software gains. Let's see what they do to close the gap with software now that Google is challenging their Android domination largely by selling the idea of superior software.

Can their software keep up with the new standards so that we can enjoy class leading hardware? If the s6 and s7 are any indication, there is promise.

Love competition!

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I'm most excited by two things: the camera gains (best smartphone camera of 2016 getting an upgrade? Can't wait!) and the software gains. Let's see what they do to close the gap with software now that Google is challenging their Android domination largely by selling the idea of superior software.

Can their software keep up with the new standards so that we can enjoy class leading hardware? If the s6 and s7 are any indication, there is promise.

Love competition!

The 8 GB LPDDR4X, SD835, and updated Grace UI matched together. The S8 is going to fly!!!! (if these strong rumors are true).

Looking forward to the front autofocus on the camera as well.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Alle...gn-gets-tipped-by-a-case-maker-render_id89960

Alleged Galaxy S8 edge design gets tipped by a case maker render

Galaxy-S8-edge-case-renders.jpg

I guess this means Samsung will never have front-facing dual speakers? Hopefully they come up with something for some sort of dual-speaker setup. Maybe how HTC/Apple do it now?
[doublepost=1484322120][/doublepost]Here's another render based off rumored details:

galaxy-s8-unofficial-render-1200x867.jpg

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
That looks so much better without the home button. The double tap home for camera would be the biggest loss though

Reactions: macfacts

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
And now we got another 3D render from a different case maker. This one is completely different.

20170113_091158.png
20170113_091217.png
20170113_091233.png
20170113_091158.png

Reactions: v0lume4

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
That looks so much better without the home button. The double tap home for camera would be the biggest loss though

I've gotten used to double tapping the side power buttons for the camera on the Pixel and 3T (the 3T actually allows you to double tap the fingerprint button too!). It's a bit awkward double tapping a side button but once you get used to it, it's fine.

Also, maybe Samsung can still save that feature. As I mentioned, the 3T still allows it with its fingerprint button.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
If the rumors are true, the S8 is shaping up to be a delicious-looking phone.

With Samsung leading the way in the race to eliminate bezels (the S6 Edge, now the S7 Edge) and the supposed renders we've seen for the S8 -- you have to wonder, can Apple fully eliminate the bezels this year if even Samsung can't? Samsung has been doing this for years.

My guess is beginning to lean towards a "no." Anyone else's thoughts?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Alle...gn-gets-tipped-by-a-case-maker-render_id89960

Alleged Galaxy S8 edge design gets tipped by a case maker render

Galaxy-S8-edge-case-renders.jpg

I guess this means Samsung will never have front-facing dual speakers? Hopefully they come up with something for some sort of dual-speaker setup. Maybe how HTC/Apple do it now?
[doublepost=1484322120][/doublepost]Here's another render based off rumored details:

galaxy-s8-unofficial-render-1200x867.jpg
I must say that is stunning.

Watch, some utter idiot will say they somehow copied Apple, when Apple eventually make something like this. Lol.

I'd certainly miss having a Home Button to press though, I love how solid, sturdy and tactile the one on the S7 and S7 Edge is.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I must say that is stunning.

Watch, some utter idiot will say they somehow copied Apple, when Apple eventually make something like this. Lol.

I'd certainly miss having a Home Button to press though, I love how solid, sturdy and tactile the one on the S7 and S7 Edge is.

Where you've been? Those idiots you speak of already exist. They're already saying Samsung is copying based on rumors of the next iPhone reducing bezels. Like seriously, even though THEY KNOW reducing bezels has been what Samsung has been doing for years. SMH.
[doublepost=1484335013][/doublepost]Did Sammy just accidentally give us a hint of what the S8 might look like? New AMOLED video released today.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Can't deny I'm getting excited about the S8. It reaffirms my decision to return the Pixel (an $815 expense) for the 3T's comparable experience (at $439 flat, no tax). Allows me to feel better about getting a flagship device for this year. And it may very well start with the S8.

The S7E is, in my opinion, the phone of 2016. They still lead in screens, cameras, and design at this stage. How can I not be excited for its follow up?

When exactly will be the announcement?

[doublepost=1484337707][/doublepost]Android Police is confident the S8 will have a headphone jack.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/01/13/rumor-the-galaxy-s8-will-have-a-headphone-jack-after-all/

Rumor: The Galaxy S8 will have a headphone jack after all

We can now say with a high degree of confidence that the Galaxy S8 will have a 3.5mm headphone jack. This information, I assure you, is not based on phone cases or renders thereof. The source has also proved reliable in the past.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It looks aesthetically very nice indeed but .... As someone who found the edge an absolute pain to hold and use in day to day use without hand gymnastics and lots of false touches and whilst I preferred the edge aesthetically, the standard S7 was for me more user friendly from practicality pov. I really don't want a device with so little room to grip, heck I'm sure I'm not the only one either who occasionally tapped on the capacitive buttons on the chin too accidentally, and the fact they seem to be focusing on edge only and reducing the chin even more, I just don't think it will work for me practically ...

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Can't deny I'm getting excited about the S8. It reaffirms my decision to return the Pixel (an $815 expense) for the 3T's comparable experience (at $439 flat, no tax). Allows me to feel better about getting a flagship device for this year. And it may very well start with the S8.

The S7E is, in my opinion, the phone of 2016. They still lead in screens, cameras, and design at this stage. How can I not be excited for its follow up?

When exactly will be the announcement?

[doublepost=1484337707][/doublepost]Android Police is confident the S8 will have a headphone jack.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/01/13/rumor-the-galaxy-s8-will-have-a-headphone-jack-after-all/

Rumor: The Galaxy S8 will have a headphone jack after all

We can now say with a high degree of confidence that the Galaxy S8 will have a 3.5mm headphone jack. This information, I assure you, is not based on phone cases or renders thereof. The source has also proved reliable in the past.
Glad you are enjoying the 3T. It sounds like it's what the 3 should have been. :)

That's great news that Samsung will not do the absolutely stupid move of removing the Headphone Jack, why remove it when they can allow us to choose what we want to use, be it Wired or BT.

Samsung know how to design a phone reviews properly without having to leave out key features like a 3.5mm jack out to "save space". :)

Reactions: v0lume4

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I can't believe how under the radar the Iris Scanner is. The Note 7's wasn't bad. I expect the S8 to have one. I am contemplating ditching the iPhone 7+ for one. I have my iPad for iOS though. Eh decisions decisions.

As for the rumor from the T-Mobile rep, I don't expect QHD because of the VR hype. I expect a 4K screen.

Reactions: Klyster

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
It looks aesthetically very nice indeed but .... As someone who found the edge an absolute pain to hold and use in day to day use without hand gymnastics and lots of false touches and whilst I preferred the edge aesthetically, the standard S7 was for me more user friendly from practicality pov. I really don't want a device with so little room to grip, heck I'm sure I'm not the only one either who occasionally tapped on the capacitive buttons on the chin too accidentally, and the fact they seem to be focusing on edge only and reducing the chin even more, I just don't think it will work for me practically ...

If they even go with the Note 7 design with smaller bezels, you'll be fine. I don't think I heard a single complaint about false touches on the Note 7. To this date, there's nothing like it. With that being said, I think as bezels get smaller, there might be more need for a case for protection.

Reactions: MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

This is a fair comment. I certainly had the occasional accidentally touch. Didn't bother me that much because I understood it as part of getting used to novel technology. The learning curve, as it were.

I think as edge screens improve and become more wide spread, people will learn and adapt. And as mentioned, I believe OEMs will continue refining the design (like the Note 7) both hardware and software wise to make things better too.

At least I hope so.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I can't believe how under the radar the Iris Scanner is. The Note 7's wasn't bad. I expect the S8 to have one. I am contemplating ditching the iPhone 7+ for one. I have my iPad for iOS though. Eh decisions decisions.

Yea, I really liked the Iris Scanner and can't wait to get it back.

As for the rumor from the T-Mobile rep, I don't expect QHD because of the VR hype. I expect a 4K screen.

I think Samsung felt the change from Diamond PenTile to RGB is good enough at the moment. (per rumors)

But the Note 8 will definitely have 4K.

Reactions: nviz22 and Klyster

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Yep. I used the iris scanner, it was handy at times, I'd like it included.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
S8 with a 6 inch display sounds very interesting to me and with the option to buy the S pen seperately? nice

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
well thats whats being rumoured
Maybe they might make a Pro model specific to South Korea with 8GB of memory and a stylus, but I find it highly unlikely that the rest of the world will get either of those options with the S8. Just way to expensive for a phone that usually sells 50-75 million units over a year compared to a Note series that sells less than a 1/4 of that.

Additionally, Samsung has devoted resources into the Chrome series hybrid laptop with digitizer and is likely to be creating 100000 units of the foldable phone/tablet with stylus. Just don't see the S8 having that, without spending $1000 US.

msavic

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
One thing I'm hoping Samsung fixes in the S8 is the horrific image processing they apply to images. The sensors they use are good enough that excessive amounts of noise reduction and over sharpening are unnecessary and cause more harm than good.

They had fairly good image processing on the S6 but the S7 was a complete step backwards in that regard.

I also would like them to further improve video recording, out of all the devices I have tested so far, the iPhone 7+ seems to provide the best looking 4K video. I feel that may be partly because of it's fairly good software stabilization which leads to smooth panning shots.

Reactions: MRU and spriter

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Maybe they might make a Pro model specific to South Korea with 8GB of memory and a stylus, but I find it highly unlikely that the rest of the world will get either of those options with the S8. Just way to expensive for a phone that usually sells 50-75 million units over a year compared to a Note series that sells less than a 1/4 of that.

Additionally, Samsung has devoted resources into the Chrome series hybrid laptop with digitizer and is likely to be creating 100000 units of the foldable phone/tablet with stylus. Just don't see the S8 having that, without spending $1000 US.

Rumored 8GB RAM is almost a sure thing.

The rumored Pro model with a stylus is a weird rumor. Cause it's said the Pro model would not be designed with a S-Pen holder. IMO, that kind of defeats the purpose. No way would I be carrying around a loose S-Pen. That alone makes me feel this rumor is not true.

But then again, if the Pro model does have a digitizer, then it would most likely have a S-Pen holder. It's slightly possible Samsung might do that. Then market the Note 8 with 4K display and something else. I highly doubt it, but there is a possibility since Samsung has to come back strong. Also, the S6 Plus was not the norm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.