Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Geekbench is flawed the only reason the iPhones score higher is because of optimised HTML test.if you look at the snapdragon 820 is scrored like 500 in that test and the iPhone does like 30,000 and it majorly boosts it's single core numbers.

the 820 scores 22-2300 in geekbench 3 and in geek bench 4 it drops to like 1500 because of that little test they added to boost the iPhone.

apple owns the browser and has that test optimized to scrore high.

Apples chips score well beyond Geekbench. They are powerful mobile chips and they deserve credit where It's due.

How much more powerful they are however is overblown. Software plays a large role (look at the pixel as prime example of a perfectly snappy OS - snappier in my experience than iOS 10 on an iPhone 7 is) as does optimization, and also iOS is displayed on much lower resolution devices than most flagship android counterparts, less pixels to push with a powerful chips leads to these kinds of larger discrepancies.

The reality is modern smart phones offer more than enough power for basic "single core" functions like texting and making phone calls. You can still do that stuff with much weaker phones more or less lag free. Even an iPhone 4s running iOS 9 is capable enough for those functions.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The reality is modern smart phones offer more than enough power for basic "single core" functions like texting and making phone calls. You can still do that stuff with much weaker phones more or less lag free. Even an iPhone 4s running iOS 9 is capable enough for those functions.

Exactly. And the 835 chip will fit nicely with Samsung's features. Like VR and higher res display. The extras is what I care about, since the basics are already capable enough as you said.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Exynos or Snapdragon? Snapdragon is a lot more unstable.

We get Exynos here in Canada. And the battery life is awesome. Although my Note 7 was the Snapdragon. On the Note 7, the Snapdragon was silky smooth, no complaints at all. Maybe Grace UI made it that way. That being said, I'm looking forward to the next version of Grace UI on the S8. I think Samsung have found their path in making the software experience better. No shock, considering the new head mobile is a software guy.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Apples chips score well beyond Geekbench. They are powerful mobile chips and they deserve credit where It's due.

How much more powerful they are however is overblown. Software plays a large role (look at the pixel as prime example of a perfectly snappy OS - snappier in my experience than iOS 10 on an iPhone 7 is) as does optimization, and also iOS is displayed on much lower resolution devices than most flagship android counterparts, less pixels to push with a powerful chips leads to these kinds of larger discrepancies.

But the point is that as processors develop, the lower core functions work faster in addition to providing higher end computing and energy efficiency throughout the process.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
We get Exynos here in Canada. And the battery life is awesome. Although my Note 7 was the Snapdragon. On the Note 7, the Snapdragon was silky smooth, no complaints at all. Maybe Grace UI made it that way. That being said, I'm looking forward to the next version of Grace UI on the S8. I think Samsung have found their path in making the software experience better. No shock, considering the new head mobile is a software guy.
I'm also using an Exynos S7 Edge, and it is quite simply brilliant, consistently smooth and fast, and the battery liddell is phenomenal.

Samsung build TouchWiz with Exynos in mind, IMO. I wish they would stop using Snapdragon, not only for Performance reasons but also Security, as more hackers target the more popular Snapdragons e.g. the recent Modem exploit.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
watch the video I posted a few pages back with the gs7 running beta 5 grace UI vs the 256gb iPhone 7 plus speed test.the higher GB has faster data speeds and the gs7 holds its own against it.

here I'll just repost it for you guys.mind you the iPhone is scoring 1500 more points in single score in the latest Geekbench.that just shows you how bad that test shows real world results.they added an HTML test in the CPU tests that favors the iPhone .my gs7 went from. 2300 single score to 1500 single score in gb4 vs 3 and it's because of that test they added.makes zero real world results because in web browsing they are neck to neck.

here is latest beta of the gs7.it fly's with last gen soc and the gs8 should pull ahead of the a10 this spring.

here it is

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
But the point is that as processors develop, the lower core functions work faster in addition to providing higher end computing and energy efficiency throughout the process.

Right but generation to generation to generation someone's ability to make a phone call isn't going to be diminished.

Right in front of me I can take my 4s running iOS 9 and my 6s running iOS 9 and the difference in opening up these core apps is milliseconds to a second and slightly more sluggish animations.

Benchmarks are nice and all but that iPhone 6 that runs at half the speed of an iPhone 7 isn't an outdated piece of junk....It works fine and runs fine, more than well enough to not be hindered when sending a text, checking email visiting a web page etc...

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
That benchmark isn't the important one though. It's always about single core geek bench scores because you have to remember that phone calls, texts, and modest web browsing are considered low power functions.
My understanding is that in Android multiple low power cores are used for those basic functions to, at any given time my S7 Edge (Exynos 8890) is using between 3-6cores at very low and varying frequencies, and then it pushes them up when more power is required. When I open very resource intense tasks then it goes up to 8 cores.

So multicore matters with Androids.

Take a look at how things are varying as I use my S7 Edge right now, 2 cores are Stopped, 2 are running at 1040MHz and 4 are running at 442MHz, CPU is at a low 28% Load
00d76ede09a67f532c3ac1ef59f22f22.jpg

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
that's the reason the exynos gets better battery.i have never seen my 820 turn cores off completely

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Fixed the lag issues I was having with the S7. There is a feature called Wipe Cache where you have to boot the phone into safe mode I believe. Either way, once I did that, the lag went away. I also downloaded BK Disabler,. and disabled a bunch of bloatware which has drastically helped my battery life.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
My understanding is that in Android multiple low power cores are used for those basic functions to, at any given time my S7 Edge (Exynos 8890) is using between 3-6cores at very low and varying frequencies, and then it pushes them up when more power is required. When I open very resource intense tasks then it goes up to 8 cores.

So multicore matters with Androids.

Take a look at how things are varying as I use my S7 Edge right now, 2 cores are Stopped, 2 are running at 1040MHz and 4 are running at 442MHz, CPU is at a low 28% Load
00d76ede09a67f532c3ac1ef59f22f22.jpg

Android normally wins in multi-core scoring. The A10 is an anomaly in that comparison. Exynos for everyone makes me not care about how much "better" the A series chips can be. If it's snapdragon, different story. Like others say, Exynos is optimized for Galaxy in mind. I am on the fence between the S8 and iPhone 8+, but I will wait to make a good decision.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
New case leak. There was another case leak from another brand, and it showed similar button placement. Interesting to see there is a headphone jack cut out. Hope it's true. Actually, when I take a second look, it could very well be the cut out for the mic.

37994975911305731410.jpg

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Looks like the usb port will be to one side.
I wonder what the top cutout is for?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Just talked to the Samsung USA rep for T-Mobile today. Take this with a grain of salt but he says:

US will get SD 835, 8GB RAM, USB-C, 2K resolution screen, two edge style S8's (no more flat screen model), home button is gone and fingerprint reader area will be at the bottom portion of the screen (just above the bottom bezel) and that recent image leaks are pretty accurate.

P.S. And pre-orders will start end of March and the S8 WILL BE in T-Mobile stores on April 18. (According to him. We shall see.)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Just talked to the Samsung USA rep for T-Mobile today. Take this with a grain of salt but he says:

US will get SD 835, 8GB RAM, USB-C, 2K resolution screen, two edge style S8's (no more flat screen model), home button is gone and fingerprint reader area will be at the bottom portion of the screen (just above the bottom bezel) and that recent image leaks are pretty accurate.

P.S. And pre-orders will start end of March and the S8 WILL BE in T-Mobile stores on April 18. (According to him. We shall see.)

8gb of RAM? That's the only hard part to believe. I predict 6gb.

8gb would be something though...!

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

No flat screen? That's the model I get. I see no reason to pay $90 more for a edge I don't care for or feel I need. That makes it tough. Think I'll skip this one.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
8gb of RAM? That's the only hard part to believe. I predict 6gb.

8gb would be something though...!
Yep, 8GB made me raise my eyebrow a bit. Maybe the S Korea version will get Samsung's new 8GB RAM modules, but I doubt the rest of the world will. I think you are correct and it will be 6gb, but we shall (maybe) find out at MWC.
[doublepost=1484201071][/doublepost]
No flat screen? That's the model I get. I see no reason to pay $90 more for a edge I don't care for or feel I need. That makes it tough. Think I'll skip this one.
Yep, he claims there will be a regular sized S8 with edged screen and then a plus model. No flat screen model at all.

If what this guy said pans out, then I'll give him much more credibility next year and when the Note 8 is set to be released.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Will the S8 have on screen navigation buttons then? If the in-display fingerprint scanner sits right above the center of the bottom bezel, does that mean on-screen software keys will flank the scanner? Does that mean the scanner will also be an on-screen home button?
[doublepost=1484235703][/doublepost]
Place for a pen ?

Good theory. There were rumors of such a possibility.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Will the S8 have on screen navigation buttons then? If the in-display fingerprint scanner sits right above the center of the bottom bezel, does that mean on-screen software keys will flank the scanner? Does that mean the scanner will also be an on-screen home button?
[doublepost=1484235703][/doublepost]

Good theory. There were rumors of such a possibility.
??? Good point. No idea how they plan to implement the fingerprint reader and software navigation buttons?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.