Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yeah, I can see how this would truly be a perfect fit on a Tizen phone. Really looking forward to a Galaxy class Tizen phone release. But for now, I'm in a wait and see mode for Bixby on the S8. Let me just add, you have no clue how much I miss my Note 7. But, I digress, back on topic.
Oh ...i do. I miss my Note 7 too (rip good buddy). It was the best Android phone I had. It had the feature set I wanted in a phone. I am really looking forward to the Galaxy S8!

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Oh ...i do. I miss my Note 7 too (rip good buddy). It was the best Android phone I had. It had the feature set I wanted in a phone. I am really looking forward to the Galaxy S8!

Yeah, I really miss my Note 7, it was a beast of a phone. Well, on the bright side the Note 8 is going to feel like a huge upgrade from my Note 5 when that comes out. (As long as it doesn't explode, what's up with Samsung? sheesh)

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yeah, I really miss my Note 7, it was a beast of a phone. Well, on the bright side the Note 8 is going to feel like a huge upgrade from my Note 5 when that comes out. (As long as it doesn't explode, what's up with Samsung? sheesh)
I had a Nite 5 too but battery life was pretty bad compared to the N7 and current phones for me. I jumped to the V20. I don't have a Samsung phone right now until the S8 comes out.

Reactions: Fernandez21 and MRU

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
How do you find the V20 ?

I like it so far! Great battery life.... getting 6 plus hours SOT consistently. I use Nova so the LG skin is not a factor for me. I like the second screen too. But like the Pixel....not really a fan of back FP scanners.

Reactions: MRU

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I agree to a point though. Only if Bixby (hopefully they change the name) is better than the builtin Google product. Otherwise it is another duplicate app. I can see them doing this if they are going full steam ahead with Tizen though as they will need a voice assistant.

Which means it has to be better than GN, since people keep ignoring that Assistant is Pixel exclusive right now. I'd hope it is.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
But Apples services are the only ones that come pre-installed on your iOS device. They are not duplicated unless you choose to use alternative apps and install them additionally.

Samsung's duplicates are pre-installed additionally to the already better versions that come either baked into Android or mandatory installed according to their pre-requisite licensing with Google. That's the difference.

Adding insult to injury, you can then mostly only 'disable' these duplicates at best and can not properly uninstall them. Wasting resources on your device.

So Samsung are essentially spending resources on developing apps which will have to stand as duplicates on their devices because the Android licensing requires them to pre-install google's services. When Google's services are then better than the duplicate ones Samsung has developed, it makes you wonder and question why Samsung bother spending that resource in the first instance .... especially when development time and resources could be spent elsewhere.

Samples of duplication that come pre-installed on most Galaxy devices ...

1. Gallery - Samsung backup now supporting photos too.
2. Google Photos with photo backup
3. OneDrive (part of Microsoft deal) which likewise offers photos backup.

4. Google Docs / Sheets
5. Microsoft Office apps

6. Google Play Music
7. Samsung Music
8. Deezer / Spotify pre-installed in some regions

9. Samsung Game Centre
10. Google Games

11. Samsung Marketplace Store
12. Google Play

13. S-Voice
14. Google Now

And I could go on ....

Now add Bixby.

I don't know about the others but for music on the Note 7, I had to download Samsung music from the app store. Only Google play music was preinstalled.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I don't know about the others but for music on the Note 7, I had to download Samsung music from the app store. Only Google play music was preinstalled.
So did you just ignore everything else I wrote and pick out one thing that wasn't on your Note 7 ?? Even disregarding that; it's still dependant on either carrier / region firmware.

But the point remains. Samsung's duplication of Apps and services that come pre-installed on it's devices is entirely different to your proclamation that Apple has duplicated services and apps, which as i pointed out, those alternatives which DO NOT come pre-installed are therefore NOT duplicates.

When you factor in with Samsung, other ancillary Apps like Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, Twitter, Skype and such which may come pre-installed (again dependent on firmware variation) and it's no wonder Samsung receives the criticism it does for pre-installing a lot of needless bloat.

The S8 as great as the hardware will be; will undoubtedly follow Samsung's pattern and we will hear rumours of a less heavy TW prior to release, and then discover on release it still comes with anywhere between 48-56 apps pre-installed and at least a dozen of them are apps with duplicated functionality of Apps pre-installed on the device.

Adding yet another app to that list, even if it's a step beyond S-Voice is not something I am going to get excited about.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I do agree that Samsung duplicates apps. Wish they would make them optional and downloadable at first use.

But at the same time. My Google Pixel which is stock Android of course can't do something simple like open a .mov file from Dropbox.
My V20 and OPO3 can open the same file but for some reason the Pixel doesn't recognise the file format.
So while I like the thought of stock Android and what all that means. But I also prefer the apps non-stock skinned Android has to offer.

Reactions: mrex and MRU

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
So did you just ignore everything else I wrote and pick out one thing that wasn't on your Note 7 ?? Even disregarding that; it's still dependant on either carrier / region firmware.

But the point remains. Samsung's duplication of Apps and services that come pre-installed on it's devices is entirely different to your proclamation that Apple has duplicated services and apps, which as i pointed out, those alternatives which DO NOT come pre-installed are therefore NOT duplicates.

When you factor in with Samsung, other ancillary Apps like Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, Twitter, Skype and such which may come pre-installed (again dependent on firmware variation) and it's no wonder Samsung receives the criticism it does for pre-installing a lot of needless bloat.

The S8 as great as the hardware will be; will undoubtedly follow Samsung's pattern and we will hear rumours of a less heavy TW prior to release, and then discover on release it still comes with anywhere between 48-56 apps pre-installed and at least a dozen of them are apps with duplicated functionality of Apps pre-installed on the device.

Adding yet another app to that list, even if it's a step beyond S-Voice is not something I am going to get excited about.

I agree with you on some of those, s-voice is horrible and I really don't like the duplicate services that eat up processing and ram, but some of those duplicate apps I like better than the stock Google ones, such as the calendar, internet browser, music app, and calculator. I also like how the Samsung apps also are skinnable with their themes. I am also of the mindset of competition is better, so if Bixby is actually better than Google Assistant then I'm all for it. But there has to be a way to completely remove the duplicate app and service so it isn't taking up resources and let us choose. It would be awesome if at set up there is a way to make it completely stock, make it all Samsung, or some mix in between that lets us choose what we want while still providing maximum optimization.

Maybe something like this, only on the right it shows the Samsung app and on the left the Google app and you choose what you want?
e0f9bac3ff361435fc0d6bbca5afa3a9.png

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Well I gotta say, when it comes to duplicate apps, I'm actually using Here Maps as my default navigation app. Google maps had misguided me a few times. I have it set for quickest route, but a few times it gave me the run around. Here Maps has never gone wrong for me yet.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
So did you just ignore everything else I wrote and pick out one thing that wasn't on your Note 7 ....

I didn't ignore everything you wrote. I acknowledged them and said I don't know about them because I don't use them or remember seeing them in the app drawer.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So is there going to be a sd830 and Samsung is just bypassing that?
The first rumors were for the sd830 but given the latest news from Qualcomm and Samsung the S8 might come with the sd835. Still just rumors so far :)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I can't wait to see what the smaller of the two will shape up to be like. While the s7e has amazing form factor, I'm ready to go back to a smaller phone (assuming Samsung continues their trend of a no compromise smaller option).

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
But Apples services are the only ones that come pre-installed on your iOS device. They are not duplicated unless you choose to use alternative apps and install them additionally.

Samsung's duplicates are pre-installed additionally to the already better versions that come either baked into Android or mandatory installed according to their pre-requisite licensing with Google. That's the difference.

Adding insult to injury, you can then mostly only 'disable' these duplicates at best and can not properly uninstall them. Wasting resources on your device.

So Samsung are essentially spending resources on developing apps which will have to stand as duplicates on their devices because the Android licensing requires them to pre-install google's services. When Google's services are then better than the duplicate ones Samsung has developed, it makes you wonder and question why Samsung bother spending that resource in the first instance .... especially when development time and resources could be spent elsewhere.

Samples of duplication that come pre-installed on most Galaxy devices ...

1. Gallery - Samsung backup now supporting photos too.
2. Google Photos with photo backup
3. OneDrive (part of Microsoft deal) which likewise offers photos backup.

4. Google Docs / Sheets
5. Microsoft Office apps

6. Google Play Music
7. Samsung Music
8. Deezer / Spotify pre-installed in some regions

9. Samsung Game Centre
10. Google Games

11. Samsung Marketplace Store
12. Google Play

13. S-Voice
14. Google Now

And I could go on ....

Now add Bixby.

I feel this is important to serve as a hedge in case Google ever decides to go rogue. Remember what happened when Google withheld their maps app from iOS? Users on iOS 5 suffered until Apple countered with their own maps app with iOS 6. Fast forward to today. Apple Maps is good enough for my needs and Google can suddenly pull their own maps app from the App Store tomorrow and I won't be disadvantaged in the least.

There is no money to be made in being a dumb hardware shell for stock Android and google apps. Criticise Samsung all you want. You can't deny they are pretty much the only profitable android OEM out there.

Much as you hate all the duplicate apps on your Samsung phone, the alternative poses a far more serious risk to them.

Reactions: sunking101

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I feel this is important to serve as a hedge in case Google ever decides to go rogue. Remember what happened when Google withheld their maps app from iOS? Users on iOS 5 suffered until Apple countered with their own maps app with iOS 6. Fast forward to today. Apple Maps is good enough for my needs and Google can suddenly pull their own maps app from the App Store tomorrow and I won't be disadvantaged in the least.

There is no money to be made in being a dumb hardware shell for stock Android and google apps. Criticise Samsung all you want. You can't deny they are pretty much the only profitable android OEM out there.

Much as you hate all the duplicate apps on your Samsung phone, the alternative poses a far more serious risk to them.

There is little chance of them going rouge. You are comparing two completely different scenarios that have something very important differently between them, but also the chances of Google pulling any iOS apps going forward is now remote.

1. Googles apps on iOS are not baked in. They are the third party and are equally at Apple's discretion, as Apple could indeed remove them from the store. Whilst it is always possible for Google to pull app support on iOS, that would now likely never happen as they gather too much information from iOS users who utilise them and that is Google's bread and butter now. The decision to remove maps was equal part Apple as Google knew they were working on their own and that Apple wanted to replace relying on a Google service as a stock application on iOS.

However ...

2. Samsung use Google's Operating System and as a fundamental part of the licence to use Android they are 'required' to include Google's apps and services. Google would not remove them from its own operating system. Indeed if anything it has clamped down on its insistence that they are mandatorily included.

The only way Google would remove Google's apps from a Samsung device would be if Samsung decided not to use Google's Android OS and go fully Tizen.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm okay with the duplicate apps and because I'm an AT&T customer I sometimes even have three versions of similar apps! And as an Amazon Prime customer, I can even have four apps that do the same basic thing different ways! :eek: But I'd really like more than 32 GB of on board storage if that's going to be the case. I do miss the 64GeeBeez my Note 7 had. :p

My HTC is more pared down like the Pixel. I actually had a more difficult time adjusting to such a spare environment than I did adjusting to the app cacophony that exists on my S7 Edge. I find I prefer switching among similar apps or services to take advantage of nuanced differences that suit individual situations than sticking to one app to meet all my varied needs.

I suspect I am still a bit giddy from leaving iOS and am in rebellion against uniformity mode at the moment. ;)

I'm loving the S8 rumors so far. I do hope they take their time and get it right. I don't think I'll be preordering one.

Reactions: MRU and jamezr

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Must resist the temptations of the S8. I think I'll be waiting for the Note 8 to come out before making my decision. Worst case scenario, I pay a cheaper price for the S8. Actually that would be the best case. The worst case would me falling in love with the Note 8 and paying that premium.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Latest possibilities with the S8:

Soundblasters: Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 edge rumored to boast Harman-branded stereo speakers
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Soun...-boast-Harman-branded-stereo-speakers_id88677

Samsung Galaxy S8 rumors: new evidence hints at front camera with autofocus
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...-hints-at-front-camera-with-autofocus_id88687

Samsung Galaxy S8: no 3.5mm jack, fingerprint embedded in display, ditches PenTile display
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...ed-in-display-ditches-PenTile-display_id88699

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Latest possibilities with the S8:

Soundblasters: Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 edge rumored to boast Harman-branded stereo speakers
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Soun...-boast-Harman-branded-stereo-speakers_id88677

Samsung Galaxy S8 rumors: new evidence hints at front camera with autofocus
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...-hints-at-front-camera-with-autofocus_id88687

Samsung Galaxy S8: no 3.5mm jack, fingerprint embedded in display, ditches PenTile display
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...ed-in-display-ditches-PenTile-display_id88699
The first two features wouldn't tempt me. I play through a good Bluetooth speaker when I use speakers at all. Or I use wired headphones. Feature number three makes me even more grumpy.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I have moved on from wired headphones but I still think it is lame removing the jack, especially when they poked fun at Apple over it

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The first two features wouldn't tempt me. I play through a good Bluetooth speaker when I use speakers at all. Or I use wired headphones. Feature number three makes me even more grumpy.

Stereo speakers can help with gaming, watching things with other people, or navigation use. I look forward to it. I think both Samsung and Google need to get speaker improvements in their flagships in 2017.

Agree about the second feature -- doesn't affect me, but will be a big deal to younger folks who take selfies more often.

As for the third, I've been on bluetooth earphones for over a year now and only occasionally use the headphone jack. I dislike the removal of it nonetheless because I understand serious audiophiles want to continue using cables. But I am absolutely excited about the home button no longer being physical.

Reactions: tbayrgs

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Stereo speakers can help with gaming, watching things with other people, or navigation use. I look forward to it. I think both Samsung and Google need to get speaker improvements in their flagships in 2017.

Agree about the second feature -- doesn't affect me, but will be a big deal to younger folks who take selfies more often.

As for the third, I've been on bluetooth earphones for over a year now and only occasionally use the headphone jack. I dislike the removal of it nonetheless because I understand serious audiophiles want to continue using cables. But I am absolutely excited about the home button no longer being physical.
Oh yeah having the home button change will be nice. The Samsung one currently doesn't work well for me as a finger print sensor.

My selfies turn out pretty well with the current cameras. The HTC one is particularly good. They already usually are well focused so I'm not sure what improvement autofocus will bring. I will have to wait and see.

My Nintendo 3DS XL has surprisingly good stereo sound for games so I can see the merit of your point. I guess I'll just have to again wait and see what this new beast is like before I grumpily dismiss it.

Reactions: epicrayban
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.