Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satanic Goat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Mine was supposed to arrive today, the hour slot passed, phoned DPD Driver is 90 minutes behind. 3 hours go by phone DPD again. You are the next stop. Another hour goes by, another call to DPD. Driver has gone back to the depot. Shambles.

GarethR

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Well my watch arrived....and it’s as brilliant as all the reviews. I’m so happy with it (from my series 0 - which is now a dedicated sleep tracker).

One small problem.

Vodafone. Ugh.

Activating cellular for the watch has been and continues to be a painful process.

I’ve been upgraded to a CTR14 plan, new 12 month contract (but 40gb for the same price as I paid for 25gb, so that’s ok)

Converted over to the OneNumber thing.

WiFi calling enabled.

Then nothing. The Apple Watch app just says ‘waiting’ with a spinning disc in the cellular section of settings.

Called back today to try and get it sorted, was told to unpair the watch and re-pair it. Unpairing seemed to trigger some sort of error which disabled wifi calling and it now won’t re-enable.

The second line technical team are now locked out of making changes as my account is ‘broken’ so my case has been escalated to third line network team with no estimate for a fix...

Yay.
I'm in a similar position with Vodafone. They've been truly useless in trying to get it activated. I've not even got the secondary number showing in my account yet, so no amount pairing/unpairing/resetting would make the slightest bit of difference anyway until the new line is provisioned on their end.

thomyorke68

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2018
The original screenshot posted was from Littlewoods. Same company as Very but with a different business model - Littlewoods charge higher prices but typically interest free, whereas Very tend to be competitive price wise, but charge higher interest beyond any buy-now-pay-later period.

Oh ok I didn't know that.

Given you're with Monzo you shouldn't have any issues getting them to sort it. It isn't entirely uncommon for retailers to perform their own security checks on higher value in demand items and it was probably something simple like an address inconsistency or something which might have triggered them to flag and reject the purchase (or maybe the use of a voucher code which took them below their margin limit on the item). You also have to consider - from Very's perspective folks paying with debit cards isn't good business for them - they're in the business of selling finance to customers which they can earn long term interest from.

I did nothing wrong and didn't use any vouchers, paid £799 straight up using my debit card. All my details were correct. Also, I have bought high value stuff from Amazon and eBay and Apple and Curry's PC World and they never performed any such checks. I placed the order and I received the order. Simple as that!

When placing my order, I didn't sign up for finance. I did get an option to create a Very account, which would've allowed me to get finance but I skipped that and paid directly using my card. I have read that they perform these checks when you open a Very account to buy something on finance, but I am not sure why they performed a check in my case, when I paid upfront.

Also, I do wonder - from their perspective they may not have actually 'charged' you - it might be because of the way Monzo works by hiding the whole pre-auth/presentment thing from customers, and in fact from Very's side they've just pre-auth'd the amount, but of course Monzo would show the full amount deducted and the transaction in your feed.

Yeah, I can see an option to "Question This Payment", but they won't let me revert it until the 7 days are over (they'll actually revert it automatically). Very should change their system, like Apple, to do a £1 auth and then deduct the whole amount before shipping. This is so much better, as at least people won't have to wait for ages to get their refund back if their order gets cancelled for stupid reasons.

GarethR

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
When placing my order, I didn't sign up for finance. I did get an option to create a Very account, which would've allowed me to get finance but I skipped that and paid directly using my card. I have read that they perform these checks when you open a Very account to buy something on finance, but I am not sure why they performed a check in my case, when I paid upfront.
Thats the thing - they're really only geared towards purchases made through finance so it might explain the additional security checks - it might be an automated thing. I'm assuming your delivery address matched the billing address?

Yeah, I can see an option to "Question This Payment", but they won't let me revert it until the 7 days are over (they'll actually revert it automatically). Very should change their system, like Apple, to do a £1 auth and then deduct the whole amount before shipping. This is so much better, as at least people won't have to wait for ages to get their refund back if their order gets cancelled for stupid reasons.
Have you spoken with COps? They're normally pretty good - if you can provide them with the evidence the order was cancelled they'll often manually reverse the payment showing there and then - especially if it is just a pre-auth. They'll give you the caveat that if the retailer does present the transaction it will show up though.

Reactions: hop

AVBeatMan

Suspended
Nov 10, 2010
I can't remember if I've asked this before so forgive me if I have but, those who have chosen the SS series 4 over the aluminium, can I ask why?. I had a look in the Apple store and yes, I agree that the SS looks better, but only slightly and, to me not £300 more. Just wondering why you chose the SS?

hop

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I can't remember if I've asked this before so forgive me if I have but, those who have chosen the SS series 4 over the aluminium, can I ask why?. I had a look in the Apple store and yes, I agree that the SS looks better, but only slightly and, to me not £300 more. Just wondering why you chose the SS?

Partly looks nicer, and while I don't get much fancy stuff, I've really liked having a nice watch, but particularly having sapphire instead of glass. I've still got a S0 and the display, despite me not being very careful with it, still doesn't have a single scratch.

Reactions: Mr.C

AVBeatMan

Suspended
Nov 10, 2010
Partly looks nicer, and while I don't get much fancy stuff, I've really liked having a nice watch, but particularly having sapphire instead of glass. I've still got a S0 and the display, despite me not being very careful with it, still doesn't have a single scratch.

I had the S0 SS and last year the aluminium S3. Got the aluminium S4 now and have time to return so just wondering if the extra £300 is worth it.

Think I’d like to. Would need to return to Curry’s (in the UK) and then buy from Apple. Don’t think Curry’s sell the SS.

MagicTorch

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
UK
Thank you, and thanks for the tip! Oddly, the Vodafone rep I spoke with initially asked me to make sure WiFi was turned on!!!

No problem. For info, even after Cellular is active, in the Apple Watch app, I get ‘‘waiting’ with a spinning disc in the cellular section of settings, when I have WiFi switched on. However, if I swipe up on the Watch, turn WiFi off, return to the Watch App cellular section, after about 10 seconds, the springing disc goes away & is replaced with a message confirming cellular is active on the Watch. I could be wrong, but I think ultimately, whilst connected to WiFi, the Watch does not need to bother having its own cellular active (it can just piggy back of phone, which probably saves battery life).

I wonder how many queries/phone calls that Vodafone would save, if their script for staff to follow, told the staff to ask customers to switch WiFi off, before going through the process of adding a Watch to a customers existing plan!

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
The extra cost was a bargain compared to what Mercedes wanted to upgrade my new car to CarPlay - £2000. It’s all relative.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
I had the S0 SS and last year the aluminium S3. Got the aluminium S4 now and have time to return so just wondering if the extra £300 is worth it.

Think I’d like to. Would need to return to Curry’s (in the UK) and then buy from Apple. Don’t think Curry’s sell the SS.

I think it’s worth it, the extra weight and the materials is something I like about the SS models.

captpicar

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2015
Scotland
Same here. Was due tomorrow. Not sure what’s going on. Extremely annoying.

Will get on blower to Apple if it doesn’t update again by morning.
Hi, I think the watches will be on the flight tonight and will be delivered on Tuesday.
Normally they fly west westwards. Shanghai, Incheon, Kazakhstan, Germany and into UPS hub in England (can't remember the name) and a flight to regional centres.

However, my 2018 MBP flew eastwards and had an extra day travel:-
Shanghai > Anchorage > Louisville > Amsterdam, Ferry to sorting hub outside London > truck to Edinburgh > Glasgow

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
Still no movement on my Nike edition (delivers 8th-15th) from Apple ordered on the 14th. Got another ordered via Very for delivery on Tuesday.

Now playing the waiting for 'Dispatched' email game before cancelling the other order.

captpicar

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2015
Scotland
Hi, I think the watches will be on the flight tonight and will be delivered on Tuesday.
Normally they fly west westwards. Shanghai, Incheon, Kazakhstan, Germany and into UPS hub in England (can't remember the name) and a flight to regional centres.

However, my 2018 MBP flew eastwards and had an extra day travel:-
Shanghai > Anchorage > Louisville > Amsterdam, Ferry to sorting hub outside London > truck to Edinburgh > Glasgow

Looks like the watches have left Shanghai. Prob on the attached fight. No arrival airport, but looks like Inchoen

Attachments

• 5F4A86A8-156C-4167-BA45-E3FE8B616FF7.png
    5F4A86A8-156C-4167-BA45-E3FE8B616FF7.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 147

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
Still no movement on my Nike edition (delivers 8th-15th) from Apple ordered on the 14th. Got another ordered via Very for delivery on Tuesday.

Now playing the waiting for 'Dispatched' email game before cancelling the other order.

Dispatched from Very's supplier, Apple order cancelled...thanks for nothing.

captpicar

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2015
Scotland
My delivery date now showing 10 October.
UPS flight about to take off heading to Europe with the latest batch :)

My date is showing the 11th now. Normally UPS shows a date later than delivery.

Unfortunately I go to work tomorrow afternoon for 4 weeks. Was really hoping it. would be delivered by lunchtimtime tomorrow. Still a slim possibility, but.....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-10-08 at 11.01.17.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-08 at 11.01.17.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 172
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.