Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I believe it’s in Apple’s interest to minimise as many barriers to Apple Ecosystem entry as they can. Inability to run Windows apps without paying a hefty sum for Parallels middleware, and not even getting any assurance that it won’t be killed by either Apple or Microsoft at any moment, nor avoiding the performance penalties that virtualisation brings, is a big barrier to a lot of Windows users.

It’s in Microsoft’s best interest to sell as many copies of Windows as possible, plus as many of their apps as possible, including the ones that don’t run on Mac OS, like Visio or Project. Bypassing Parallels would be of benefit to them too.
The Apple Ecosystem doesn’t include running Windows, though. Even when BootCamp was a thing, the moment the system was booted into another OS, it’s no longer in Apple’s Ecosystem. So, not having BootCamp as an option actually keeps the computer in the Apple Ecosystem. The future at least as far as Apple is concerned, is clear. If someone needs Windows, there are a wide variety of Windows systems out there, one of which will suit their intended purpose perfectly. They’ve never been about being the “everything” company, they pick and choose who they want as customers. And, as long as that number can continue to support selling 30 or so million Macs a year, they’ll continue making Macs.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Just a thought, I hope Apple aren’t against supporting AAA games because of the culture. It’s possible, as ‘gamer’ culture can undeniably be extremely toxic, and the polar opposite of Apples core social values.
No, it’s nothing to do with Apple and all to do with the fact that there’s not enough Macs to make it worthwhile to developers. I mean, one of the biggest games gacha games of the last year, Genshin Impact is already running on ARM for iOS. It really wouldn’t take a ton of work to make it available for the Mac. However, even that small amount of work isn’t worth it for the developer.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
Gamers needs upgradeable and repairable Hardware.

Consoles would like to have a word with you.
And if you protest they're a different platform, GPD-Win3 is a handheld PC that sells like hotcakes.

While upgradeable / repairable PCs are convenient, I don't think they're critical when deciding which computer to buy.
The problem with Apple is simply you're stuck with a very small selection of games, no good exclusives, and you simply can't easily access games that are never going to get ported.

Sure, there's virtualization, but it's not good enough on certain devices (e.g, the iPad has it, but it runs slowly).

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
If I can recommend one which is a “real” game (I should say closest thibg to a AAA game) and actually an apple arcade exclusive then it is Fantasian.

Great if you like old school rpgs.

Not even close to AAA,

AAA games titles have e.g latest graphics features, this game is like a AAA game from from 2000-2005.
You can see all the simple mesh edges, no antialiasing, textures are simple, too.
Game mechanics are simple, simple animation, no fur, no cloth animations, and much more…

But might be fine to just have some fun…

This is latest AAA graphics:

Last edited:

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Just a thought, I hope Apple aren’t against supporting AAA games because of the culture. It’s possible, as ‘gamer’ culture can undeniably be extremely toxic, and the polar opposite of Apples core social values.
Gaming is the post profitable division at Apple.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
This is just not true.

Most gamers play on laptops. The CPU and GPU can't be upgraded. Same for consoles.
For casual games like candy crush, etc. or Siedler, SimCity it’s fine, but not the newest AAA games.
People who tends to play these games don’t grab a laptop, and this is the league Apple will never be able to play.

And consoles usually (if there is no chip shortage) cost around 400-600€$€ instead of 2800€$
No parent who has an average income will ever get a Notchbook Pro for their Kids to play games, and then after 2-3 years another Notchbook.

Last edited:

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
For casual games like candy crush, etc. or Siedler, SimCity it’s fine, but not the newest AAA games.
People who tends to play these games don’t grab a laptop, and this is the league Apple will never be able to play.

And consoles usually (if there is no chip shortage) cost around 400-600€$€ instead of 2800€$
No parent who has an average income will ever get a Notchbook Pro for their Kids to play games, and then after 2-3 years another Notchbook.
The data simply does not back this up. In 2025, gaming laptops are set to outsell gaming desktops by more than double.

The steam hardware survey supports the same, that most gamers have mid-range GPUs from laptops.

The "PC Master Race" nerds who build their own computers and buy high end GPUs are the niche.

1634984858864.png

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
It has nothing to do with money. I can easily buy a Mac for 2.000€ and a 600€ Xbox one series X and a 600€ ps5.
I’m still unable to play games on my extremely expensive one task Mac.

Or I buy a 2.000€ Pc where I can do both work and have fun. It would be insane to buy two different stationary computer for 4.000€
That sounds like your priorities are different to some. It does sound like its money to me, but to you, it's just logical (and clearly so, hence when you said it's "insane" to buy two instead of one). So I think your priorities are different to some (ie many Mac buyers). So you have the majority view it seems to me.

But let me run your numbers. To build a games PC that achieves what the PS5/Xbox does, costs about double what a PS5 does. Something equipped with earlier in the year’s priced 3060 GPU (not today's inflated GPU prices). So if your price for a PS5/Xbox is 600, then 1.200 for a games desktop.

So if you want to play a lot of games, then it’s 1.200 for a games desktop. Or 600 for a console, where the games cost more.

The bottom line is that if you choose a Macbook Pro, it’s going to cost you at least 600 extra for playing games, and you’ll have to do that at home. But if you want to play games outside of home, you can’t, because games notebook PCs require wall socket power to operate properly. So really, we are just talking about 600 euros … or 1.200 maybe, if you play a heck of a lot of games.

This cost basis also ignores the fact that those Mac users who are interested in performance are driven by productivity efficiencies in the OSX platform. OSX combined with software Znd some services that work together well, is essentially why people spend big on Macs.

It’s not a choice decision for such users in attempting to save some bucks to just have one machine. It’s more a matter of priorities, and for many, productivity is more important than gaming. And some even prefer using MS Office on the Mac.

I don’t know anyone who relies on just one piece of IT based technology to live their lives. I think the number of technological items in our workplaces and homes is increasing. We’ve got smart phones, watches, door bells, TVs, security cameras, voice control in the home of when you’re coffees going to be poured. We’ve got smart tablets, smart washing machines, smart TVs (some in your smart fridge’s door), smart exercise machines, smart shoes, and some of us have smart wives. Which means the idea of wanting one piece of hardware to accomplish all, is not the way society is going.

Last edited:

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
That sounds like your priorities are different to some. It does sound like its money to me, but to you, it's just logical (and clearly so, hence when you said its "insane". So I think your priorities are different to some (ie many Mac buyers).

Let's run your numbers. To build a games PC that achieves what the PS5 does, costs about double what a PS5 does. Something equipped with earlier in the year’s priced 3060 GPU (not today's inflated GPU prices). So if your price for a PS5/Xbox is 600, then 1.200 for a games desktop.

So if you want to play a lot of games, then it’s 1.200 for a games desktop. Or 600 for a console, where the games cost more.

The bottom line is that if you choose a Macbook Pro, it’s going to cost you at least 600 extra for playing games, and you’ll have to do that at home. But if you want to play games outside of home, you can’t, because games notebook PCs require wall socket power to operate properly. So really, we are just talking about 600 euros … or 1.200 maybe, if you play a heck of a lot of games.

This cost basis also ignores the fact that those Mac users who are interested in performance are driven by productivity efficiencies in the OSX platform. OSX combined with software that works together well, is essentially why people spend big on Macs.

It’s not a choice for such users in trying to save some bucks to just have one machine. It’s more a matter of priorities, and for many, productivity is more important than gaming. And some even prefer using MS Office on the Mac.

I don’t know anyone who relies on just one piece of IT based technology to live their lives. I think the number of technological items in our workplaces and homes is increasing. We’ve got smart phones, watches, door bells, TVs, security cameras, voice control in the home of when you’re coffees going to be poured. We’ve got tablets, TVs (some in your smart fridge’s door), smart exercise machines, smart shoes, and some of us have smart wives. Which means the idea of wanting one piece of hardware to accomplish all, is not the way society is going.
The point is still valid. I don't even have the option to play most modern games on a $2k MacBook pro. So, if I even want the option, and I only want one main device? Windows it is.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
The point is still valid. I don't even have the option to play most modern games on a $2k MacBook pro. So, if I even want the option, and I only want one main device? Windows it is.
There are some games that can be played ... https://www.macgamerhq.com/apple-m1/native-mac-m1-games/ Preferably one with metal I guess. If you're buying a notebook for productivity, then OS X might suit you better. And now the M architecture will greatly increase your productivity. If the notebook is about gaming, then for sure, best to buy X86.

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
The fact that macs can now run iOS games is a “gamechanger” for them. Now they can upgrade their games, keeping their iPhone and Mac together. I think we will soon see some real changes, now that Mac hardware matches what ever else in in PC laptops.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68030
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
I don’t know, you’d have to ask the developers that are making their applications available via Apple Arcade on the Mac (we agree that developers ARE making their applications available via Apple Arcade on the Mac, right?). Only they know why they’d publish their games there and, in some cases, on Steam, too. I’m guessing it’s because there’s a financial benefit to them doing it.

Could be wrong, though. Maybe they’re doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.
No need. The results speak for it self. The Mac store is a graveyard. And the ones on Apple Arcade are already games on the iPhone

if you develop a game for PC you have zero reason to even care for the Mac/iOS as most of the time the game break the TOS of apples religious publishing rules.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68030
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
The Apple Ecosystem doesn’t include running Windows, though. Even when BootCamp was a thing, the moment the system was booted into another OS, it’s no longer in Apple’s Ecosystem. So, not having BootCamp as an option actually keeps the computer in the Apple Ecosystem. The future at least as far as Apple is concerned, is clear. If someone needs Windows, there are a wide variety of Windows systems out there, one of which will suit their intended purpose perfectly. They’ve never been about being the “everything” company, they pick and choose who they want as customers. And, as long as that number can continue to support selling 30 or so million Macs a year, they’ll continue making Macs.
That’s 100% wrong. The fact OS X could run boot camp made sure the computer existed in their ecosystem in the first place and not in Some old warehouse of unsold goods.

A computers main purpose is to be a tool.
And if apple still wants OS X to end in obscurity they can do as they do now.

Or they do it like they did with the iPhone and maki it useful and sell billions of devices.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68030
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Consoles would like to have a word with you.
And if you protest they're a different platform, GPD-Win3 is a handheld PC that sells like hotcakes.

While upgradeable / repairable PCs are convenient, I don't think they're critical when deciding which computer to buy.
The problem with Apple is simply you're stuck with a very small selection of games, no good exclusives, and you simply can't easily access games that are never going to get ported.

Sure, there's virtualization, but it's not good enough on certain devices (e.g, the iPad has it, but it runs slowly).
I think the price tag would like to have a word with you. 600$ for an Xbox is not equivalent to a 2.000$ of I upgraded hardware. By the way, the Xbox and every consul on the market still have upgradable storage

robco74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2020
Apple likely could offer an Arcade+ tier, and try to coax a few more devs to port titles to it, but then they'd be up against MS Game Pass. MS made a smart move by bundling the console with the service with a zero interest loan. I wonder if or when Apple will consider something like the iPhone upgrade program for the Mac. They need to flesh out the consumer lineup a bit more to make gaming capable Macs more affordable. I hope we see a new mini with M1 Pro at least. The Xbox expandable storage is nice, but is currently quite expensive.

AAA gaming has all the problems of other media. Production costs are quite high, which means very little room for failed titles. And this is with deplorable working conditions at many game studios, combined with immense pressure to get titles out the door to the point where most are buggy messes on launch. Apple can't fix a broken business model.

Reactions: Nightfury326

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
And the ones on Apple Arcade are already games on the iPhone
Yes, that’s how it works.
if you develop a game for PC you have zero reason to even care for the Mac/iOS as most of the time the game break the TOS of apples religious publishing rules.
I don’t develop a game for PC AND Apple Arcade, however others do. You’d have to ask them why they do it though. I’m guessing it’s because they obtain some financial benefit from it, but maybe it’s just because they had some time on their hands with nothing else to do.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
That’s 100% wrong. The fact OS X could run boot camp made sure the computer existed in their ecosystem in the first place and not in Some old warehouse of unsold goods.
OS X does NOT “run” BootCamp. BootCamp puts the hardware in a state where it can boot into other OS’s. If you’re booted into another OS, you’re not booted into OS X. You may be confusing BootCamp with virtualization?
The vast majority of Macs sold never had BootCamp installed, so BootCamp is also NOT required for OS X to work.
And if apple still wants OS X to end in obscurity they can do as they do now.
The first year Apple sells fewer than 5 million Macs, OS X WILL end in obscurity. :) I mean, it’s eventually going away, just as sure as the Apple II went away.
Or they do it like they did with the iPhone and maki it useful and sell billions of devices.
I agree with you that they should do like they did with the iPhone and not have the Mac run other OS’s.

thislsmadness

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
If this was 2011 then the answer is an instant hell no. However, I don't think its a far fetched idea in 2021. We are in the midsts of a services + content armsrace and Apple is reinventing itself and a lot of the old guard are stepping back. They're already invested in music. They're now investing billions in movies/tv... Apple has the biggest comedy series currently running (who the **** imagined that would happen?)

Gaming is the next logical step. It's a huge risk but someone at Apple has to be looking at that Appstore data and seeing those videogame profits dwarfing everything else.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Gaming is the next logical step. It's a huge risk but someone at Apple has to be looking at that Appstore data and seeing those videogame profits dwarfing everything else.
That’s the thing though. If someone were to, say, put you in charge of Gaming at Apple, from DAY ONE, you’d be in charge of the greatest profits in all of the gaming world! You could LITERALLY do nothing and you’d still be number one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.