Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
1. How many NATIVE games are there? So far, there aren't many and most of them are old games. Do we even have latest games at all? Baludr's gate 3? That's only one, dude.

2. Those are MOBILE games, not PC/Console games. They mainly focused on mobile devices and you even included Apple Arcade which supports my claim. Also, Genshin is not even available on Mac despite your claim too.

3. "if you want AAA gaming according to whatever your definition is, use a different platform" You already proven failure as you say that. PC can do the same thing since a long time ago. You want games on Mac but no AAA games? Really? How ironic. Not all Macs can play games in 2020 and most of them are not even support Apple Silicon. You dont realize that the performance difference is huge cause most of them are PC friendly.

As of Apple Silicon Mac, the gaming market is already doomed and I dont think Mac will rise again for gaming industry as they are focusing on mobile games.
If not being able to play whatever games you’re talking about makes you this emotionally unstable, then you really should detox.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
That's only one, dude.
Am I?
You want games on Mac but no AAA games?
Actually I am not interested at all. My use of AS is different. YMMV.
Last time I checked this thread is about wether Apple gave up on gaming. And clearly they haven’t. Certain game publishers/developers though don’t see value in supporting MacOS for the games you apparently want to see/play. Well, tough luck.

EDIT: do the obvious. send the publishers/developers emails. complain to publishers/developers. get on social media. complain to publishers/developers. don’t buy their stuff. complain to publishers/developers. get influencers dedicate to your cause. complain...

Last edited:

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
Am I?

Actually I am not interested at all. My use of AS is different. YMMV.
Last time I checked this thread is about wether Apple gave up on gaming. And clearly they haven’t. Certain game publishers/developers though don’t see value in supporting MacOS for the games you apparently want to see/play. Well, tough luck.
You dont represent all people especially for gamers. Even Intel Mac lack games tho they got some games cause it used x86 but not anymore. Apple does not have any advantages over x86 and PC and yet they aren't even trying.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
EDIT: do the obvious. send the publishers/developers emails. complain to publishers/developers. get on social media. complain to publishers/developers. don’t buy their stuff. complain to publishers/developers. get influencers dedicate to your cause. complain...
It’s totally, like, mean ol Apple’s fault tho, not the devs!?

Reactions: Slartibart

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
Never said. probably never will. Again, this time to you: enlighten me, what makes a „gamer“?

you might have missed this
Hahaha, the performance has nothing to do with gaming. Nintendo and consoles are example. The platform is more important and macOS lacks from it.

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
Apple makes more on gaming than almost anyone making games.
Mobile-Is-the-Biggest-Games-Platform-in-the-World.png

Because they have a huge mobile game market call iOS. Apple isn't in both PC and Console.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Thank you. At least someone else gets it on this site. I would devote time and resources on a macOS port of my game IF and ONLY IF the marketshare was much higher. Hardware? Don't care. It could be an RTX 3090 in the $700 M1 Mac Mini but if the marketshare is NOT there, I won't even consider a port of my game to Mac.

Marketshare won't just increase magically especially if a lot of people use Windows specifically because it can run a vast number of games that Mac can't. It's Apple's responsibility to build better software for running Windows games on Mac just as it was Valve's responsibility to build Proton when they wanted people to move to SteamOS/Linux. Valve didn't create SteamOS and say "well it's up to the developers to build games for this platform," that would be a ridiculous POV to have when your market share is so low.

Likewise, Apple should turbocharge an effort to bring something like Proton to Mac. If people could all of a sudden run most Windows games on decent settings there would be very little reason to go with a Windows only machine, especially amongst college aged people that can afford the Apple tax and are likely already on iPhone.

Apple wouldn't do that though because that means no platform lock in. Even though something like Proton for Mac would be a gamechanger for many of Apple's customers, Apple care more about ensuring developers lock IN to the Apple specific technology ecosystem by building Metal specific Apple-only games rather than expanding Mac's reach OUT into the already existing AAA game market. One makes a lot more money for them than the other in the long term; ultimately the customers suffer.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
I want to know how many people in college purchased a Windows machine specifically because they want to play games during their downtime, I reckon it's a large portion of people. I know a lot of people (including my brother sitting in his dorm right now lol) that don't want to buy a Mac because they want gaming compatibility. I know cost must play a factor.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
Hahaha, the performance has nothing to do with gaming.
?… ?????
Nintendo and consoles are example. The platform is more important and macOS lacks from it.
Well, you mention Nintendo… Mario Kart doesn’t count, I assume? No ”real” game… okay, what makes “Zelda: Breath of the wild” a real game… and e.g. “Oceanhorn 2“ on Apple Arcade not?

• Haha
Reactions: sunny5

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
?… ?????

Well, you mention Nintendo… Mario Kart doesn’t count, I assume? No ”real” game… okay, what makes “Zelda: Breath of the wild” a real game… and e.g. “Oceanhorn 2“ on Apple Arcade not?
Are you trolling or what? You kept failing to prove your point.

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
If you bothered to click on my link it fleshes out Apple's iOS App Sotre. But thanks for the graphics though I can use it on my next argument with r/PCMasterRace.
PC gamers dont realize that at all, lol. They might be surprised about the truth.

Reactions: Adarna

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
And who might have made that decision? ??
any iOS or iPadOS game runs on MacOS now - and vice versa… if the developer allows it… if.the.developer.ALLOWS.it. … if this isn’t an incentive, well… oh… but who actually cares? I assume the M1 Max audience who wants it for gaming is minuscule… why care?
Since you keep failing to prove your point, I would suggest you to take a rest.

Joe Dohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2020
Apple wouldn't do that though because that means no platform lock in. Even though something like Proton for Mac would be a gamechanger for many of Apple's customers, Apple care more about ensuring developers lock IN to the Apple specific technology ecosystem by building Metal specific Apple-only games rather than expanding Mac's reach OUT into the already existing AAA game market.
This doesn't make sense. If I really want to lock in people in my new platform, then a very effective strategy is to make customers need the other platform less and less while using my platform for everything. The way it is, Apple is forcing you to pick a Windows machine if you want high-performance gaming. It would be ideal for them if their platform could do everything a Windows PC can do, while still having features only they offer. Why would I buy a Windows PC and an Apple PC / device if I can just keep an Apple-centric workflow?

Microsoft gets most of this right. For example, they are actively developing a good WSL (Windows subsystem for Linux). This means that not only you can run Linux within Windows, but do it with very good performance, killing any need for dual boot. And soon, you'll be able to even run Android apps there. And to top it off, they are developing WSLG, which allows you to run graphical Linux programs with hardware acceleration and no extra configuration (right now, getting graphical applications to run under WSL is annoying).

It baffles me that Apple is not integrating virtualization to offer a permanent solution for gaming without much extra effort. They have so many cores at this point, and virtualization has so much to offer – even from a security standpoint.

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
PC gamers dont realize that at all, lol. They might be surprised about the truth.
The problem with PC, console and even Mac gamers is they're stuck with the "triple-A" gaming titles rather than looking at revenue.

But then again if they were into revenue they wouldnt waste their time playing triple A titles all that often and complain about FIFA

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
The problem with PC, console and even Mac gamers is they're stuck with the "triple-A" gaming titles rather than looking at revenue.

But then again if they were into revenue they wouldnt waste their time playing triple A titles all that often and complain about FIFA
It's such a bummer since most iOS games aren't available and optimize for AS Mac so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.