Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
Genshin Impact is on PC and Console, so it IS a PC/Console game.

The Mac is not PC and it’s not Console, so yes, this is correct.
Then Among Us is PC/Console game. How is it different? You see, there are quite a lot of mobile game being available on PC and console. Being on PC/Console does NOT conclude it's mobile or PC/Console games.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
2019 and 2020 the Laptop sales went up (yes true), but just because of Corona and mainly bought for Home Schooling and for Home Office (BYOD). In other words, mainly lower spec Laptops were sold, reflected in the stats you posted.
I mean, did you even open the link? The numbers were for gaming computers only. No business/school/casual computers.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Synthetic benchmarks convincingly show the gaming potential of Apple Silicon. It will still obviously take a while until the gaming situation improves. The problem right now is that devs have to support both the Intel Macs and the Apple Silicon Macs, which spreads the already tight Mac support budget even thinner. And supporting Intel Macs is a mess as you have to deal with a much larger variety of hardware and driver bugs. Couple of years from now, when Intel Mac support is no longer necessary, making games for Mac will be both cheaper and more lucrative.

Digital_Sousaphone

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2019
People buy what they want to buy because they can afford it.

Is that a foreign concept that you do not get exposed to?

I'm pointing out that your obsession with PC gaming is exposing your blind spots in how the rest of humanity spends their time and mone.y How Apple is able to ID growth industries to provide goods & services other than PC gaming to hundreds of millions of people.

You remind me of this young boy who was obsessed with WWF wrestling.

When you broach a topic other than wrestling he cannot phantom that there is life beyond wrestling.

My sincerest apologies for distracting you from PC gaming. I'm sure it brings you more wealth than Apple could ever imagine.
I haven't got a clue what your point may be and I have a sneaking suspicion that you don't either. Super cringey.

• Haha
Reactions: elbert

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
I mean real gaming. Games like Cyberpunk, borderlands, fall cry 6, final fantasy XIV, world of Warcraft, minecraft… Not these arcade “games”.

It’s great their chips are faster and reduced power usage but compatibility matters. No nvidia discrete graphics card option is a mistake. A lot of software is only compatible with Intel/AMD chips. Software used in businesses where upgrading or finding alternative options that work with M1 isn’t an option.

It looks like Apple is more centered around the Hollywood/movie/music industry and not the business+gaming market which is a huge mistake to be a niche product. It’s also becoming harder and harder for enterprise businesses to manage their Mac fleet.

Is this experience shared or is my assertion mistaken? What has your experience been with these M1 chips in the business sector? Are there real games that work with M1 chips? Maybe I’m ignorant on the topic.

This isn’t my first post but it is. Had to make a new account for some reason.
Apple is a for profit business. They go to markets that they know they can get a good return.

Apple is reportedly on top when it comes to video game revenue, despite not developing consoles or major AAA games of its own.

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple made $8.5 billion in operating profits from gaming in 2019. According to the post, this totals more than Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, and Activision combined.

The top 1% of spenders made up for over 64% of sales on the App Store, spending about $2,694 each year. These players are known as "whales", and are often the target for microtransactions in free-to-play games.

The numbers the Journal used came to light as part of the recent antitrust trial between Apple and Epic, the developers of Fortnite. However, Apple says the numbers discussed were flawed and too high.

Reactions: playtech1

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
Apple could have snapped up one of the many titles that came off the console exclusive list this year to show the power of their new computers...but they didn't. A lot of new titles coming to PC, not so much Apple. It's almost like there is no interest in the Mac ecosphere.

I'll frame it this way.

Apple has $10 million idle cash to invest in and these are their opportunities for it
Among the options above what would give Apple the best overall financial returns?

Apple provides the tech & its up to the gave developer to port their work to it.

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
As of Apple Silicon Mac, the gaming market is already doomed and I dont think Mac will rise again for gaming industry as they are focusing on mobile games.
Rightfully so. Below is a graph on share of games market revenue segmented by platform

Over a period of 5 years these platforms shrank
  • PC/MMO games
  • TV/console/VR
  • Casual web games
  • Handheld games
Over a period of 5 years these platforms expanded
  • Smartphones & watches
  • Tablet games

MW-HM611_gaming_20190702103202_NS.jpg

Source: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/pc-gaming-is-in-a-decline-and-deserves-to-be-2019-07-03

Apple will invest in markets that has potential for growth.

Last edited:

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68030
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
EDIT: do the obvious. send the publishers/developers emails. complain to publishers/developers. get on social media. complain to publishers/developers. don’t buy their stuff. complain to publishers/developers. get influencers dedicate to your cause. complain...
Well they already aren’t buying their stuff xD
There is zero point to complain to publishers as they aren’t their customers and they don’t care to have them as customers because they can always tell you to buy a pc/console instead

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68030
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
You're basing your statements on a very narrow and limited use case r/PCMasterRace & not how over a billion iPhone users use them.

Apple did not become a nearly $3 trillion company by catering to frictionless parts replacement market that dominates PC gamers.

Triple A titles have comparably small revenues than the App Store. It only matters to you because their marketing is very effective on you.

Apple has shipped more iPhones & iPads than the whole Intel/AMD PC industry combined. Apple is not wanting for revenue.

They let others cater to that frictionless parts replacement PC market as it is too expensive & bothersome to cater in the same way that Apple decided to let others cater to the sub-$999 desktop/laptop market, sub-$399 smartphone market and the sub-$329 tablet market.

As pointed out by sunny5 gaming revenue favors smartphones/tablets & and not Windows anymore.

Apple can easily ignore your gaming interests because the net plus to them is not worth their time. Let small time companies like Intel/AMD/Nvidia cater to it. Hell, they should be thankful Apple aint interested or they'd lose their shirts.
Great. Trillion dollar company doesn’t help me play games tho. As they quite literally don’t invest any of it.

Reactions: Adarna

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I think people are missing the point. Those that make the decision to buy/make high-end gaming PCs and laptops AREN'T only mobile gamers. Mobile gamers are casual gamers. PC gamers are not. The market share really doesn't matter to those who want AAA gaming titles that push the boundaries of what is possible.

The poster that pointed out making proton for mac is exactly right. Then one could buy a $2200 to $2500 MBP and do it all. That, of course, will never happen so Apple continues to lose sales to those of us that prefer one main device that can game.

They clearly don't care and that is their prerogative. Again, market share doesn't matter at all for this conversation. The question isn't which gaming is the most profitable (and wait until micro-transactions get banned anyway), it's can the mac use all that M1 power and play AAA PC and console titles? and the answer is clearly no.

Reactions: tpfang56

echodriver

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2020
Rightfully so. Below is a graph on share of games market revenue segmented by platform

Apple will invest in markets that has potential for growth.
You do realize that chart is normalized to 100%, right? And that the explosion in mobile devices means they're taking a larger market share - but that doesn't mean that PC gaming is a sector that is shrinking, either. It's just not growing as fast as an emergent market, as you'd expect

Look at NVIDIA's earnings sometimes - they're growing in all sectors, to include GPUs for gaming, because the gaming market is still growing

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Synthetic benchmarks convincingly show the gaming potential of Apple Silicon. It will still obviously take a while until the gaming situation improves. The problem right now is that devs have to support both the Intel Macs and the Apple Silicon Macs, which spreads the already tight Mac support budget even thinner. And supporting Intel Macs is a mess as you have to deal with a much larger variety of hardware and driver bugs. Couple of years from now, when Intel Mac support is no longer necessary, making games for Mac will be both cheaper and more lucrative.
I could totally see developers skipping Intel Macs altogether and say if you want to play this game, go install BootCamp or get an Apple Silicon Mac. Gamers are usually savvy enough to install bootcamp.

The reason is quite simple. The number of Apple Silicon Macs sold will quickly dwarf the number of Intel Macs with dedicated GPUs. Maybe 1 or 2 years of sales should do it. Developers don't want to support a dead-end architecture, especially online games which get updates for years after release.

Let's say Apple sells 25 million Macs in 2022, of which, 99% are Apple Silicon. 30 million in 2023.

That's 55 million active Apple Silicon macs in just 2 years. All of them are fully capable of playing AAA games.

There is no way there will be 55 million active Intel Macs with powerful dedicated GPUs in 2023.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slartibart

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
You do realize that chart is normalized to 100%, right? And that the explosion in mobile devices means they're taking a larger market share - but that doesn't mean that PC gaming is a sector that is shrinking, either. It's just not growing as fast as an emergent market, as you'd expect

Look at NVIDIA's earnings sometimes - they're growing in all sectors, to include GPUs for gaming, because the gaming market is still growing
The chart tells me that Apple's strategy to focus on the growth industry of smartphone/tablet/watch games gave them a better return than them slugging it out on the mature market of PC gaming.

At the end of the day Apple made a killing more than any gave developer with triple A titles.

Prior to 2020 what was the Mac's competitive advantage in PC gaming? Does the Mac address the requirement of PC gamers for frictionless parts replacement? PC gamers expect seamless parts swapping. The Mac does not offer that.

Prior to COVID the PC industry as a whole has been declining since the iPhone came out in 2007.

NVidia's earnings is helped by crypto. Gamers were complaining about them not being served.

Simply put PC gaming is not a priority. It's a "nice to have" but Apple can live without it especially when they constantly look for the next iPod or iPhone.

If you want to waste time then wait for the Mac to get triple A titles. But if you value it then buy a gaming PC.

Last edited:

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I think this sort of argument that "Apple doesn't need you" is not only a strawman designed to make the other person look stupid, but it doesn't benefit anyone.
Not really, it’s how Apple operates. One of the examples I always point to is FCP7. It was the thing that folks bought Macs for, but what they wanted was “the same thing but add features and faster” and Steve Jobs wanted to go in an entirely new direction. There was a meeting where he essentially told the gathered FCP7 users effectively “we don’t want you” and went on to create FCPX for future customers. A lot of those folks dropped Apple and never looked back. Today? FCPX has more active seats than FCP7 at the height of it’s popularity.

By saying “I don’t care of FCP7 folks never buy another Mac, I’m making FCPX the way I want to,” Apple shows how and a little of why they gun for what they think will be profitable niche’s. As a result, at any given time, they “don’t need” wide swaths of the computing population. They don’t need folks that want 1U servers with Apple logos, they don’t need folks that want eGPU’s, they don’t need folks that want wireless access points with Apple logos. And, they don’t need AAA gaming (which, I guess, can also be described as 3D rendered, lootbox delivery platforms).

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Besides content creation, what else can Apple pro devices do that is exclusive to them?
That’s actually it. AND it’s the point. Apple knows that anyone wanting what PC’s can do but Macs can’t will just get a PC. And, there are billions than do. It’s not a bad thing.

They COULD chase after trying to make the Mac everything OR chase after several million a year that want those things that only Macs can do, are more familiar with Macs OR just want an alternative to PC. They can focus on making profitable Mac products focused on that goal and ignore whatever anyone outside of that group wants from the Mac.

Reactions: Adarna

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Not really, it’s how Apple operates. One of the examples I always point to is FCP7. It was the thing that folks bought Macs for, but what they wanted was “the same thing but add features and faster” and Steve Jobs wanted to go in an entirely new direction. There was a meeting where he essentially told the gathered FCP7 users effectively “we don’t want you” and went on to create FCPX for future customers. A lot of those folks dropped Apple and never looked back. Today? FCPX has more active seats than FCP7 at the height of it’s popularity.

By saying “I don’t care of FCP7 folks never buy another Mac, I’m making FCPX the way I want to,” Apple shows how and a little of why they gun for what they think will be profitable niche’s. As a result, at any given time, they “don’t need” wide swaths of the computing population. They don’t need folks that want 1U servers with Apple logos, they don’t need folks that want eGPU’s, they don’t need folks that want wireless access points with Apple logos. And, they don’t need AAA gaming (which, I guess, can also be described as 3D rendered, lootbox delivery platforms).
So why should they not take the next logical step and make gatekeeper require apps be purchased from the mac app store with no option to turn off?

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Then Among Us is PC/Console game. How is it different? You see, there are quite a lot of mobile game being available on PC and console. Being on PC/Console does NOT conclude it's mobile or PC/Console games.
It’s not, it’s just accurate to say it’s a PC/Console game and not accurate to say it’s not a PC/Console game. Just as it’s not accurate to say Fruit Ninja is NOT an arcade game.

“Something being green does NOT mean it’s green”. Sure!

• Haha
Reactions: sunny5

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
So why should they not take the next logical step and make gatekeeper require apps be purchased from the mac app store with no option to turn off?
Why would that be the next logical step? The market for the Mac is so small compared to some of their other lines, it’s not even worth the effort. The Mac will be dead long before Mac App Store only sales happen.

It’s far easier and more effective to put a gatekeeper on reality so that you can’t buy and legally, effectively AND easily FCP or Logic Pro without a Mac. :)

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011

As opposed to mobile gaming micro-transactions. Pot, meet kettle?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.