Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Amethyst1 The top two lines are just echoed text. Going forward, this text (specifically the second line, housing the Revision and Generation data) will be manually modified with each successive build to reflect differing iterations.

@mortlocli about is an OS X-native utility and contains no code from SGI. Quite simply, it is a shell script comprised of echo, uname, machine, and sysctl that lives in /usr/local/bin.

@Dronecatcher Since only certain machines (not all) have different minimum speeds and maximum speeds (shown by the above sysctl commands), it stands to reason that sysctl hw.cpufrequency is indeed the current speed setting that the system is running at. That's how I interpret it, anyway.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
@Dronecatcher Since only certain machines (not all) have different minimum speeds and maximum speeds (shown by the above sysctl commands), it stands to reason that sysctl hw.cpufrequency is indeed the current speed setting that the system is running at. That's how I interpret it, anyway.

No, it's the hardware ID speed it's reporting. You can estimate the speed if you use the power saver settings but you're lost with a scaling frequency CPU like on the DLSD.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
@Amethyst1 The top two lines are just echoed text. Going forward, this text (specifically the second line, housing the Revision and Generation data) will be manually modified with each successive build to reflect differing iterations.

@mortlocli about is an OS X-native utility and contains no code from SGI. Quite simply, it is a shell script comprised of echo, uname, machine, and sysctl that lives in /usr/local/bin.

Oops - got confused with that link..
No matter.. Looks an excellent tool

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
Correct, but it doesn't have Sorbet support.

I think to make that happen would be a simple check for a/some Sorbet exclusive file and adjust accordingly.
I'd imagine it should work just fine, the same as anything else designed for 10.5-10.5.8, as 'Sorbet Leopard' is a custom and optimised version of Leopard but doesn't change any of the underlying technologies or frameworks to retain compatibility and stability. Anything designed for Leopard should still work - Sorbet is only '10.5.9' in spirit. The aim of this project is to improve upon Leopard but it is still fundamentally the same cat.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Correct, but it doesn't have Sorbet support.
Looks like it does to me. Shows 10.5.9.
neo.png

Cheers

Reactions: amagichnich and Doq

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Just an idea - instead of having to manually modify the about script for every new revision, you could store the revision in a hidden text file (as described here) and make the script echo the contents of that hidden text file:

echo "Revision: $(cat /.version)"

This would require modifying only that hidden text file for a new release, not the about script itself.

Example (I put the file in the current folder):

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-09 um 17.54.22.png

Reactions: z970

s4mb4r4m4

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2021
I wonder what is involved in making a bootable installer?

Is there a way to just boot to some sort of recovery environment where you have access to terminal and disk utility.. can partition an internal drive from the USB, mount the Sorbet image and then restore from there and then reboot into it?

Doesn't need to be a full interactive installer but after the restore it could go into the normal user setup/wifi joining interactions?

I've just sourced a 15" 1.67/2GB PB G4 which will become the Sorbet Leopard machine, and the 12" G4 1.5 will get some linux action.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@s4mb4r4m4 That's not a bad idea. Doing so would probably play out very similarly to how Mac OS 9 Lives! structured their universal installer.

However, it would massively increase image size (because now we're talking about an image inside of an image), and the end benefit would be questionable when you could just boot into the restored image from an external device, and then restore said restored system image from said external device to an empty partition on an internal HD just as well, while saving time and taking up less space in the process.

Reactions: MacFoxG4

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Surprise midnight launch!

Sorbet Leopard Revision 1.4 has been released, and brings with it the following changes:

o Completely rebuilt system from scratch

o Restored support for all languages

o Added about command

o Added Java Preferences 13.9.8 (from 10.6.8)

o Added System Profiler 10.6.0 (from 10.6.8)

o Updated Finder sidebar 'Desktop' icon to 10.6.8 variant

o Updated 'Desktop & Screen Saver' preference pane icon to 10.6.8 variant

o Changed Applications folder contents to reflect that of the Applications folder in 10.6.8 (save for WebKit and Utility Scripts)

o Changed default Terminal font to Menlo, Size 14 (up from Menlo, Size 13)

o Revised Welcome document

o Removed leftover Intel code hidden within system frameworks

o Fixed Migration Assistant issue

o (Mostly) fixed the permissions database

o (Hopefully) fixed Wi-Fi connection issues

o (Hopefully) fixed disk image restoration issues

o Other minor tweaks to further enhance the overall user experience (that I've conveniently forgotten)

Additionally, a full changelog reflecting all modifications up to now has been made available @ the Garden.

I expect R14 to be the final image version for at least the foreseeable future. Otherwise, further revisions will most likely be offered as a single post-installation update to be applied at the user's leisure.

Anyway, please enjoy. :)

Last edited:

Andy1248

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2021
V1.4 working fine for me. As before I unzipped using a Macbook 1,1 A1181. Copied the dmg file by USB to my Powerbook G4. Erased my old Sorbet Lepard partition and and restored with the dmg. The copy took 38 mins. Then did the tune up which this time took only 14 mins. All looking good. Once again many thanks for a brilliant piece of work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.