Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
@fra9000 Oh man, what I wouldn't do for one of those ... :)

@mortlocli How is the performance difference between the two?
I cant say ..been a bit distracted with other very boring but pressing stuff. GRRRR!!!
I'll need to re-install lubuntu 12.4 ..and find some sort of quantifiable tests to run.

Andy1248

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2021
Works OK for me. Took 3 attempts. Read the post about how important it is to unzip within Mac OS. I unzipped on a Macbook 1,1 running Snow Leopard and produced a dmg file of 8.58gb. This file then as per instructions restored onto a new partition on My Powerbook G4. 1.5Ghz.

I am running the 'Tune up' now. This has put new life into my Powerbook. Absolutely a brilliant piece of work. Thank you for this.

Edit - 'Tune up' took about 1 hour 30 mins. The percentage completed indicator works well to keep you informed of progress, as it seems likes nothing is happening but it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: z970 and lepidotós

attilio

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2021
Installation of Sorbet Leopard v2 on ibook g4 through Firewire port

1 download Sorbet Leopard v2 on mac mini g4 where Leopard is installed
2 unzip Sorbet leopard
3 connect the firewire cable from the mac mini g4 to the ibook g4
4 download on mac mini Carbon Copy 3.4.7
5 mount Sorbet Leopard.dmg on the mac mini g4
6 switch on the ibook g4 by pressing and holding the key T
7 on the mac mini with disk utility format the ibook g4 disk with a single apf partition
8 open Carbon Copy 3.4.7
9 Sorbet leopard origin disk on the mac mini g4
10 ibook destination disk g4
11 wait about 40 minutes
12 at the end of the copy unmount ibook g4 on the mac mini
13 restart ibook g4 with Sorbet Leopard

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@s4mb4r4m4 Ordinarily I would object, but these are dire times, and the economy is in the trash, so ... if you insist ...

A tip jar has been established @ the Macintosh Garden page and will remain active for an unspecified period of time.

Last edited:

alectrona6400

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
i may even test this on a 15" iMac G4 (tessera/original model) and i will get back to see how it runs. just have to wait until i receive it to do the unskippable tuneup i do with every computer i get...

Reactions: lepidotós

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
And if I try opening dmg in DU and using mounted image as source, then I get this error:
View attachment 1900449

I give up, this just does not work.
I don’t think I’ve gotten the restore function to work in DU in probably 10 years.

I think it might work if you try restoring to something of the exact same size as the image.

These days if I can’t use CCC, I’ll use clonezilla.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I am unable to connect to my wireless network on Sorbet.
FEA87F0D-63DF-42E1-BEBB-BADF58D4FF44.jpeg
It says connection failed, no matter how times I try. I verified the password is correct.

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
Hi @barracuda156

I realise that you’ve also tried disk utility under 10.5.8, so it’s probably an issue with the .dmg, however i thought i’d just make you aware that the 10A190 (Not 10A109 btw) version of disk utility shouldn’t be used as it still needs to be fixed and doesn’t function correctly. If CCC doesn’t work perhaps try SuperDuper, though if you’ve already attempted using the command line via Terminal without success then you’re probably better off waiting for another update, as i’m doing, before attempting to install @z970’s tweaked version of 10.5.8.

Yeah, my initial though was 10.6 DU is problematic, however dmg failed to be scanned for restore in clean 10.5.8 (in fact it failed to be scanned even on Big Sur, I tried that too).
I even tried unzipping the dmg on Quad itself instead of copying unzipped dmg from Intel Mac (Quad has slow internet connection, so I download huge stuff on laptop), and, as expected, with the same result.

Theoretically I can use CCC on other machine, connecting Quad in target mode, but it is unnecessarily painful. There must be a way to force OS to skip scanning part, but procedure I found failed.

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021

Tratkazir_the_1st

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2020
Russia, Moscow region
Got it installed (unallocated IDE drive).
1. Disk Utility from regular Leopard couldn't handle this image (downloaded & extracted it to Desktop). Made Imagescan - just not work. Used CCC to restore image.
2. After applying Maintenance script & reboot - tried to use Migration Assistant (was planning to transfer users&apps from leopard) - just not work. Itt launches, accepts password & that's all - closes without any messages. Terminal output:

cd /Applications/Utilities/Migration\ Assistant.app/Contents/MacOS/
ls -la
total 56
drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 26 июн 21:27 .
drwxrwxr-x 9 root admin 306 21 июн 23:12 ..
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root admin 27504 26 июн 21:27 Migration Assistant

./Migration\ Assistant
objc[180]: Class pkgutil_Utilities is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class Receipt is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class ReceiptBOMPathEnumerator is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class ReceiptBOM is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class BOMPathTransformer is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class ReceiptDatabase is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class ReceiptDB is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class ReceiptDBPathEnumerator is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class DBPathTransformer is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class ReceiptPkg is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class TaskOutputLineEnumerator is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.

(I see much 10_6 here...)

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I had tried to copy my apps to the new install but they were not launching and I had to reinstall the iLife/iWork suites again but all working now. I copied my small drive library to iTunes and its fantastic how a laptop from 2004 can manage, navigate and play my music better than the embarrassment the Music app is on even my M1. Really solid work here.

Maybe I missed it somewhere but what is the Webkit browser and how is it different than Safari?

Reactions: Amethyst1

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Got it installed (unallocated IDE drive).
1. Disk Utility from regular Leopard couldn't handle this image (downloaded & extracted it to Desktop). Made Imagescan - just not work. Used CCC to restore image.
2. After applying Maintenance script & reboot - tried to use Migration Assistant (was planning to transfer users&apps from leopard) - just not work. Itt launches, accepts password & that's all - closes without any messages. Terminal output:

cd /Applications/Utilities/Migration\ Assistant.app/Contents/MacOS/
ls -la
total 56
drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 26 июн 21:27 .
drwxrwxr-x 9 root admin 306 21 июн 23:12 ..
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root admin 27504 26 июн 21:27 Migration Assistant

./Migration\ Assistant
objc[180]: Class pkgutil_Utilities is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class Receipt is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class ReceiptBOMPathEnumerator is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class ReceiptBOM is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class BOMPathTransformer is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class ReceiptDatabase is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class ReceiptDB is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class ReceiptDBPathEnumerator is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class DBPathTransformer is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class ReceiptPkg is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.
objc[180]: Class TaskOutputLineEnumerator is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Frameworks/SlingShot+10_6.framework/Versions/A/SlingShot+10_6 and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration. Using implementation from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemMigration.framework/Versions/A/SystemMigration.

(I see much 10_6 here...)
So, are we saying that some of the frameworks for Migration Assistant are from 10.6?

Cheers :)

Hugh

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Tratkazir_the_1st Yeah, this isn't due to any mention of 10_6 (which is entirely coincidental), however there are a lot of BOM and Receipt errors. It looks like Migration Assistant doesn't like the fact that some of them were deleted, and thus refuses to continue. The BOM / Receipt problems, in addition to the partially unreadable permissions database, seem to be directly responsible for most of the issues here.

Argh, live and learn!

@Jack Neill The included 'WebKit' is just a renamed version of Leopard WebKit, which up until late 2018, was the second continually-updated browser alongside TenFourFox. WebKit is what Safari has been based on since 2005, and the two are essentially the same under the hood.

The only real difference between the two in this case, is that the WebKit browser is based on a much newer version of the WebKit rendering engine (they're called the same thing) that is roughly equivalent in capability to Safari 11.0.3, released in early 2018, and it also comes with newer security certificates built-in.

The particular copy of Leopard WebKit that comes with Sorbet Leopard has been pre-configured for maximum performance out-of-the-box, centrally by taking full advantage of the advanced rendering features available to it.

@Hughmac No, otherwise their inclusion would be noted in the Changelog. Not only that, I mentioned in an earlier post how the frameworks would go untouched due to potential system instability, and that continues to hold true now.

PowerfulEra

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2017
I recall seeing in this forum that person behind the webkit wanted to come back but he couldn't due to not having more time and ppc machine? and someone mentioned that he offered him to donate a quad but said he never responded back. Would low to see him back or someone try to update it? That would be really good since its gone. We still have the interweb and this version of the webkit with updates so it functions again but still.
@Tratkazir_the_1st Yeah, this isn't due to any mention of 10_6 (which is entirely coincidental), however there are a lot of BOM and Receipt errors. It looks like Migration Assistant doesn't like the fact that some of them were deleted, and thus refuses to continue. The BOM / Receipt problems, in addition to the partially unreadable permissions database, seem to be directly responsible for most of the issues here.

Argh, live and learn!

@Jack Neill The included 'WebKit' is just a renamed version of Leopard WebKit, which up until late 2018, was the second continually-updated browser alongside TenFourFox. WebKit is what Safari has been based on since 2005, and the two are essentially the same under the hood.

The only real difference between the two in this case, is that the WebKit browser is based on a much newer version of the WebKit rendering engine (they're called the same thing) that is roughly equivalent in capability to Safari 11.0.3, released in early 2018, and it also comes with newer security certificates built-in.

The particular copy of Leopard WebKit that comes with Sorbet Leopard has been pre-configured for maximum performance out-of-the-box, centrally by taking full advantage of the advanced rendering features available to it.

@Hughmac No, otherwise their inclusion would be noted in the Changelog. Not only that, I mentioned in an earlier post how the frameworks would go untouched due to potential system instability, and that continues to hold true now.

Alb_rn

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2021
I'm having an issue with ejecting discs from my g5 from the keyboard, f12 only brings up the dashboard and a long press doesn't seem to do anything instead of opening the drive like on 10.5.8. Is there something I'm missing?

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Alb_rn Nope, probably not. The current build is a bit of a mess, and there's only so much that can be done to set things straight.

Good news though, a completely rebuilt image has been in production now for a while, and should be available shortly. This one should fix all the bugs seen in v2 and before.

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Announcement:

Two additional applications from OS X 10.6.8 will feature in Sorbet Leopard V3 / 1.4, now bringing the number of imported apps from Snow Leopard to 7. After slight modification, they are both fully functional on PowerPC, and are also significantly smaller in size than their Leopard predecessors.

In addition, the Sorbet Leopard V3 / 1.4 Applications folder will be structured (almost) identically to the configuration seen in 10.6.8, for an even closer look and feel between the two.

Last edited:

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
All good news! The iBook is on its way, but I'm feeling like testing it on my Sawtooth just for fun. I still have that empty third partition open, after all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.