Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fra9000

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2020
Italia
I don't understand unconstructive behaviours of people on volunteer-based projects as this very one. @z970 has started and accomplished small, medium and large initiatives PPC community is benefitting from. He doesn't need to demonstrate or proove anything to anyone.

Therefore we should just appreciate his "Disney-talk" especially since usually they have been followed by great achievements like this one.

I believe this forum community does prefer collaborative and positive attitude over stupid threads-fights.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Jack Neill 'Structured' as in certain applications will be moved to the Utilities folder, more accurately reflecting their locations in 10.6. As a side effect, this will also boost the performance of opening the Applications folder Dock shortcut in Grid View, as there are now less items to render.

@B S Magnet How about wait until the update is released? Nothing is final during development, which is why there are a lack of specifics at this time. You've gotten nothing but clarity and transparency in my publicly-available works so far, so I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around why you still actively look for problems to point out even now.

And frankly, I wish people here used "disneytalk" more often in order to invoke more of the imagination rather than the overused literal, at least for a short period of time. Apple themselves understood this, and the need for a little bit of wonder / excitement in computing (details be damned).

Likewise, I find myself longing for the same thing in much of the entire industry. I wish more developers would introduce new concepts with proposals you can immediately connect with, and not just post some robotic changelog to comb through alongside a haphazard summary, and then call it a day. Therefore, I'm making the change I personally want to see.

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Wow, it's got own versioning scheme :D. OK, I'll wait.
I wonder if editing /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist to show, e.g. "10.5.9 v1.4" as version would be feasible without causing all kinds of havoc, apart from being ugly as heck that is.

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Amethyst1 At that point, I would be more concerned with aesthetic authenticity rather than overall compatibility.

Still, perhaps there is a method to signify the image version in some other way ...

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Still, perhaps there is a method to signify the image version in some other way ...
You could modify the build (in the same file). Stock 10.5.8 client is 9L31a (unless any subsequent security updates incremented it further), so maybe Sorbet could adopt a 9L31a1, 9L31a2, 9L31a3, ... scheme or something like that?

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Amethyst1 There's an idea. It might be risky for app compatibility, though; I'm unsure what relationship certain applications or libraries might have (if any) to the OS build they detect they're running on.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
@Amethyst1 There's an idea. It might be risky for app compatibility, though; I'm unsure what relationship certain applications or libraries might have (if any) to the OS build they detect they're running on.
Good point. A better idea would be to place a file in the root of Sorbet’s partition/image, named .version, which contains the version number as plain text. That wouldn’t mess up anything, and the leading dot would ensure the file would be hidden in Finder and thus not cause confusion or be accidentally deleted. And a simple cat /.version in Terminal would reveal the version.

Reactions: ChrisCharman

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I changed mine back to 10.5.8, the .9 was bothering my OCD.

I come here to talk about Macs and Apple stuff. I am going to pause on viewing this thread for a while. It's getting tense in here...

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
..anyway just popped in to say..when using Sarfari on some web sites, Im sitting there waiting for it to get done..and then realize the web page is already loaded. Yeah - I know Im not that sharp...but it is pleasantly surprising.!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MacFoxG4 and z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Regarding browsing on Sorbet, I've noticed that too. I think it's a nice change of pace, and finally does these machines some justice (for once).

Last edited by a moderator:

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
oh righty.. I might have flown off the handle a bit..just wasn't expecting that in here.. I Apologize.

Just been adding a bit to 'done today with a PPC' thanks to your excellent work!!

Reactions: z970

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
Announcement:

Two additional applications from OS X 10.6.8 will feature in Sorbet Leopard V3 / 1.4, now bringing the number of imported apps from Snow Leopard to 7. After slight modification, they are both fully functional on PowerPC, and are also significantly smaller in size than their Leopard predecessors.

In addition, the Sorbet Leopard V3 / 1.4 Applications folder will be structured (almost) identically to the configuration seen in 10.6.8, for an even closer look and feel between the two.

I hope installation process could be fixed too (just a request).

s4mb4r4m4

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2021
@z970 Thanks for continuing to work/improve on it. Looking forward to a 1.3/1.4 download. Getting on the bus earlier, I'd wish for some kind of .pkg installer that upgrades a 1.2 to a 1.4, but installing it is part of the fun :)

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Sorbet Leopard Development - Feature Showcase #6 (Bonus)

The about Command

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Ever wanted a Terminal-friendly utility that could show you a brief (but highly accurate) overview of the system information, IRIX-style? Enter the about command. about displays the Mac OS X release name, OS version, build number, image revision, generation date, and kernel version.

Additionally, it displays the machine family, machine model, CPU type, CPU cores, CPU clock speed, bus clock speed, L1 (data + instruction) cache, L2 cache, and L3 cache (if present). Finally, it will also display the amount of installed RAM, as well as the average CPU usage over the past minute / 5 minutes / 15 minutes, and current swap status.

All information relayed is super exact, down to the singular byte and hertz units.

about will make its debut alongside Sorbet Leopard Rev. 1.4 on November 12.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Ever wanted a Terminal-friendly utility that could show you a brief (but highly accurate) overview of the system information, IRIX-style? Enter the about command. about displays the Mac OS X release name, OS version, build number, image revision, generation date, and kernel version.
Nice. Is the CPU frequency the maximum speed or the current speed?

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Dronecatcher Current speed, I believe. The maximum speed can be shown with sysctl hw.cpufrequency_max (in most cases, they are the same).

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Dronecatcher My guess is that the system then switches to the minimum frequency (if supported), which can also be shown with sysctl hw.cpufrequency_min.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
And that some how came from Silicon graphics user group?
From their 45 degree angled icons, I thought I was on a Haiku OS web site.
For the uneducated, Z.. I guess you had to somehow port that to run on PPC?

Looks amazing - informative but with simplicity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.