Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
PSA -

For those who like to theme their OSes, don't forget to run the Use OS X Mountain Lion Theme and Revert to Mac OS X Snow Leopard Theme scripts immediately after running the Mountain Leopard installer and uninstaller packages, respectively. Their effects were specifically designed to complete the selected theme and finalize the change in UI assets.

Thank you.

PC mcLinMorph

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2021
The sorbet requires an existing Leopard-installation i assume? (I tried with tiger but it says missing file and aborts) :)

macosdon

macrumors member
May 29, 2019
Don't know why, the Mac will freeze and become unresponsive when once connected to the internet no matter via WIFI or Ethernet. Running Sorbet Leopard V1.4. Such issues happened occasionally before when running Tiger or Leopard and previous Sorbet Leopard versions.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@macosdon That suggests a hardware problem rather than a software issue.

Scroll through Console's history and see if you can find anything that might point to a common denominator. A rogue peripheral, perhaps?

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
Don't know why, the Mac will freeze and become unresponsive when once connected to the internet no matter via WIFI or Ethernet. Running Sorbet Leopard V1.4. Such issues happened occasionally before when running Tiger or Leopard and previous Sorbet Leopard versions.

Oh, 1.4 already out?

macosdon

macrumors member
May 29, 2019
@z970 couldn't tell, same issue happens on iBook g4 and powerbook g4. both Macs run smoothly if no internet connection enabled, but will quickly freeze when once connected to the internet. can't find something useful in Console's log files.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
A quick Xbench test between Leopard and Sorbet - 2 similar sized partitions on a 500GB spinner, iMacG5 2GHz, 2GB RAM.
Xbench was run just after a fresh boot with time to settle down...

Leopard Xbench.jpg

Sorbet Xbench.jpg

Cheers :)

Hugh

Nothistime

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2021
Hi what about iTunes Store? How can I connect to the iTunes Store with iTunes 10.6.3 in Sorbet Leopard? Anyway Sorbet Leopard is great! Thanks

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
It goes without saying that most of us use Mac OS X Leopard regularly and leverage its great features constantly.

*twitch*

We do?

I tried going back to snow leopard a few years ago (well, I was forced to as its the latest OS my old school mini supports without running like garbage) and it was well... terrible due to all the missing features I actually use daily.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
A quick Xbench test between Leopard and Sorbet
Is that compared to a fresh, speed optimised 10.5.8 install?

For me that would have to be the difference - as every Leopard install I've had for the last 10 years or so has employed all the Leopard speed hacks that Sorbet uses, I think it's a given that vanilla Leopard is a bit sluggish.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Nothistime As listed in the Changelog, the lack of connectivity to the iTunes Store is a known issue at the moment. A fix is still being searched for.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Is that compared to a fresh, speed optimised 10.5.8 install?

For me that would have to be the difference - as every Leopard install I've had for the last 10 years or so has employed all the Leopard speed hacks that Sorbet uses, I think it's a given that vanilla Leopard is a bit sluggish.
No, sorry, it's my normal Leopard installation (with enhancements found on this forum of course), but I migrated the account from this to Sorbet so has the same apps / startup stuff.
I know, it's not a definitive test, but on the whole Sorbet seems more snappy.

Hugh

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
No, sorry, it's my normal Leopard installation (with enhancements found on this forum of course), but I migrated the account from this to Sorbet so has the same apps / startup stuff.
I know, it's not a definitive test, but on the whole Sorbet seems more snappy.

Hugh
Aah, right.

Guess I'll get round to testing when I need to do a new install at some point.

Hillstones

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Shocking that Snow Leopard is faster than Leopard. Snow Leopard is optimized for Intel, and even the first generation Intel Macs were 2-3x faster than the PowerPC G5. So…duh.

Sorry, but no one is running Leopard as their daily Mac. I have a dual Power Mac G5 and a Mac Pro 1,1 Dual Xeon and of course Leopard runs faster on Intel hardware, and Snow Leopard runs even faster.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Shocking that Snow Leopard is faster than Leopard. Snow Leopard is optimized for Intel, and even the first generation Intel Macs were 2-3x faster than the PowerPC G5. So…duh.

Sorry, but no one is running Leopard as their daily Mac. I have a dual Power Mac G5 and a Mac Pro 1,1 Dual Xeon and of course Leopard runs faster on Intel hardware, and Snow Leopard runs even faster.

You seem to be arguing against a point nobody has made?

This is a thread about a tweaked install of Leopard for PowerPC - Intel doesn't come into it and neither does Snow Leopard.

Hellfirechrome

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2021
Twin Peaks
OK so.... how's this gonna run on a 550mhz G4 Pismo? Anyone give it a shot yet? I'm loading it onto my TiBook today BUT I'd love to know if I should even bother on the Pismo workhorse...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.