Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Whacko !!!
..fired up my iBook, checked 'About this Mac'.. stated 10.4..?
Ha - then remembered I needed to do a start up disk change.
Reboot - and there it is: 10.5.9.

After a day with a dental appointment in the morning, then a wasted afternoon dealing with the IRD (tax dept) and the local City Council..it feels like I just got a new toy!!!
Xmas came early this year!!

Thank you Z!!..and all the others whos input guided me on the way!!
Bloody Marvellous!!

Reactions: MacFoxG4 and z970

attilio

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2021
I'm sorry for my english

powerbook g4 with Sorbet Leopard

1 download Sorbet Leopard on Mac mini g4
2 unzip Sorbet Leopard
3 mount Sorbet Leopard
4 connect mac mini g4 with firewire to powerbook g4
5 turn on the powerbook with the letter T
6 on the mac mini partition the powerbook with only one apf partition
7 CCC Version 3.4.7 downloads
8 Sorbet Leopard source disk
9 powerbook g4 destination
10 wait 1 hour
11 shut down the powerbook reboot and we will have only one partition with Sorbet Leopard

Reactions: macosdon

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
When I go to run the 'system tuneup'.. it asks for a password.
If I type in 'whoami' it responds: Mac
Ive not encountered this before. Is there a generic password for Mac ?
I normally create an administrator with password then a user as myself which I would normally log in as. (..old linux habit.) Have not yet done that.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
I'm sorry for my english

powerbook g4 with Sorbet Leopard

1 download Sorbet Leopard on Mac mini g4
2 unzip Sorbet Leopard
3 mount Sorbet Leopard
4 connect mac mini g4 with firewire to powerbook g4
5 turn on the powerbook with the letter T
6 on the mac mini partition the powerbook with only one apf partition
7 CCC Version 3.4.7 downloads
8 Sorbet Leopard source disk
9 powerbook g4 destination
10 wait 1 hour
11 shut down the powerbook reboot and we will have only one partition with Sorbet Leopard
Attilo - did you create a second partition for Sorbet?

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
I normally create an administrator with password then a user as myself which I would normally log in as. (..old linux habit.) Have not yet done that.
Aha - so it tis!!
Ta matey!!

s4mb4r4m4

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2021
Make sure you read the guide on the desktop after the restore.. the password was in there.

I had an issue with the tune up script, there was an error about a missing public folder of some kind. Re-ran it and I think it was doing something, but couldn't tell as there wasn't any verbose indicators that something was happening. Looked in activity monitor and no CPU or disk use... restarted and read the script to see what it was designed to do, and I'm now repairing permissions via disk utility. Lots of warnings about files that have been modified and won't be repaired, but I assume that's part of making Sorbet what it is. Will let it do it's thing.

Reactions: mortlocli

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Make sure you read the guide on the desktop after the restore.. the password was in there.

I had an issue with the tune up script, there was an error about a missing public folder of some kind. Re-ran it and I think it was doing something, but couldn't tell as there wasn't any verbose indicators that something was happening. Looked in activity monitor and no CPU or disk use... restarted and read the script to see what it was designed to do, and I'm now repairing permissions via disk utility. Lots of warnings about files that have been modified and won't be repaired, but I assume that's part of making Sorbet what it is. Will let it do it's thing.
oh silly me... just read down a little bit more to see wot was next..and there is the password.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020

oh it was still running ok... lots of info about permissions and things that cant be unchanged. Dont see any error message about a missing file.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
@ortlocli Apple Partition Map is the partitioning scheme that all Mac hardware used (regardless of the OS) from 10.0 until 10.6.
APM is used on PPC (and maybe 68k, don’t have any to check) Macs. Intel Macs use the GPT (GUID Partition Table) scheme. So, for all intents and purposes, APM is the way to go for Sorbet Leopard.

Mac OS Extended (Journaled), or HFS+, is the file system (which would sit on top of the APM partitioning scheme) that Mac OS X used from (I believe) 10.2 until about 10.13.
Right - it sits on top of APM on PPC Macs, but on top of GPT on Intel Macs.

Reactions: mortlocli

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
@z970
One really silly question. Can you made it as generic Leopard Installer, not image of preinstalled system? Your work is really great but I'm very suspicious about pre-made users & so on... Excuse me...

How would that be any different? If you have security concerns over the image, installer does not add any guaranteed safety.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
no one partition where it was installed
my hard drive is only 80gb
my iBook only has 40 gb. I used an osx 10.4 install disk to boot up, but before installing, used disk utility to create a 20gb partition..ie partition one and two. Proceeded to install osx 10.4 onto partition 2, leaving partition one for Sorbet.

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
Ok I have an unexpected problem: Disk Utility on 10.6 PPC does not want to scan the image for restore. (My HDD is partitioned into two volumes, one has 10.5.8 and another 10A109, so I cannot use Disk Utility in 10.5.8, since I want to install 10.5.9 into that volume.)

Where to get needed version of CCC?

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
Ok I have an unexpected problem: Disk Utility on 10.6 PPC does not want to scan the image for restore. (My HDD is partitioned into two volumes, one has 10.5.8 and another 10A109, so I cannot use Disk Utility in 10.5.8, since I want to install 10.5.9 into that volume.)

Where to get needed version of CCC?

No luck with CCC, ver. 3.4.7 does not start in 10.6 PPC :rolleyes:

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
Sorbet Leopard v2 has been released! Alongside it comes a revised version of the original Full Changelog to better represent this version.

There is some issue with DMG, Disk Utility does not want to scan it. I have booted into 10.5.8, and it’s the same. It says “Invalid argument”, whatever it means.

s4mb4r4m4

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2021
I had an issue where it wanted to scan it, but only if I chose to erase the disk. If I left that unchecked and just restored to a blank partition, it went fine.

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
I had an issue where it wanted to scan it, but only if I chose to erase the disk. If I left that unchecked and just restored to a blank partition, it went fine.

Ok will try that. Now I am getting this (in 10.5.8 and 10.6 PPC alike):
Screenshot 2021-11-02 19-03-02.png

s4mb4r4m4

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2021
I had that same error. Try to not scan it. Leave the box unchecked for erase destination, and just drag the image into the source, and your partition into the destination, and click restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.