Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Hi, I used CCC Version 3.4.7 on Leopard to restore the DMG files successfully to a new partition. First, zip the Sorbet Leopard zipped file to get a 9GB DMG file, and then mount the DMG, then run CCC, for source , choose mounted Sorbet Leopard, for destination, choose the newly created partition, then execute the restore process, the whole process will take up to nearly 1 hour.

Just to make sure, you did check Erase destination prior to restore? With that setting it should work as intended.
I just did it again to a different disk and it worked. I have a drawer full of of drives and I need to do a better job at figuring out which ones are good and which ones aren't. Lol

Took 25min on CCC on Leopard. I'm going to be adding the aforementioned ADB kexts (thanks for the warning @Amethyst1 ) Then I can play around with this too.

Also, does anyone happen to know what the command to disable\enable shadows is? I searched it last night and couldn't find it. I'm not sure how much performance difference having them off makes but I don't care, it looks horrible with them disabled IMO lol.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I just did it again to a different disk and it worked. I have a drawer full of of drives and I need to do a better job at figuring out which ones are good and which ones aren't. Lol

Took 25min on CCC on Leopard. I'm going to be adding the aforementioned ADB kexts (thanks for the warning @Amethyst1 ) Then I can play around with this too.

Also, does anyone happen to know what the command to disable\enable shadows is? I searched it last night and couldn't find it. I'm not sure how much performance difference having them off makes but I don't care, it looks horrible with them disabled IMO lol.
Just remove the script from login items in System Preferences -> Accounts (Users and Groups)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: Project Alice

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
A stopgap image is now in production to resolve the missing keyboard kext issue, among several other elements to enhance the user experience. Hopefully it should be out later today.

To those with ADB-based notebooks, please hold on just a little while longer. Thank you.

So it’s better not to install the current image and wait for the updated one?

PowerfulEra

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2017
A stopgap image is now in production to resolve the missing keyboard kext issue, among several other elements to enhance the user experience. Hopefully it should be out later today.

To those with ADB-based notebooks, please hold on just a little while longer. Thank you.
Damn already started using it as the main os. Would it be possible to create a updater alongside with the newer version?

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@barracuda156 That is correct. The new image is nearly finished already, so it should be out later this evening if all goes well.

@PowerfulEra I'm afraid not. This should be the last revision for the short-term though, until the fully rebuilt version is released (probably alongside the app store) at some point in the farther future.

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
Typing this from my 1.5ghz Sawtooth using the included LWK on Sorbet Leopard. It runs really well on here. No issues so far.

Reactions: z970

s4mb4r4m4

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2021
Sorbet Leopard will support GeForce FX 5200 / Radeon 9200 graphics cards and lower upon release.

You're a star! :)

Will grab that revised image as soon as it's out and give it a go in the 12"!

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Sorbet Leopard v2 has been released! Alongside it comes a revised version of the original Full Changelog to better represent this version.

Some of the changes include:

o Full ADB-based notebook compatibility

o Machine-tailored network settings

o Display-tailored window sizing and placement settings

o A more comprehensive system tune up script

o The bundled Welcome document has been revised to convey information in a more cohesive manner

o Bundled documents are now located on the Desktop front and center

o Window shadows are now on by default

o The built-in WebKit and Terminal optimizations now apply system-wide

o The file system is now 2 GB smaller (Disk Utility cannot shrink partitions below 8 GB)

o Other minor changes and adjustments to enhance the overall user experience

-

Just make sure to manually set a hostname in System Preferences > Sharing > Computer Name, as that no longer comes built-in.

Otherwise, please continue to enjoy Sorbet Leopard!

Last edited:

s4mb4r4m4

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2021
@s4mb4r4m4 Yes! The uploaded file has been denoted 'Sorbet Leopard v2'!

Let the downloading begin!

I read another post earlier that if I wanted to move from my existing Leopard to Sorbet, it's not as easy as wiping the older partition and expanding the 20GB Sorbet disk, as that can cause problems? Is there an official way to do a full disk install?

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@s4mb4r4m4 User accounts from an original Leopard installation cannot be migrated over, unfortunately. And in my experience, as long as the 7 GB file system has at least 20 GB to breathe for caching, local storage, and swap operations, no problems are likely to arise.

Again, an official installation guide is coming soon. Although the best route I can offer you now is to prepare an Apple Partition Format partition 20 GB in size or larger using Disk Utility, select the 'Restore' tab while focused in that partition, and set the 'Source' box to the Sorbet Leopard DMG, then set the 'Destination' box to the newly-created partition it is to be restored to.

Depending on the OS and version of Disk Utility, any combination of having 'Erase destination' and 'Skip checksum' selected or deselected may be used in order to get Disk Utility to restore the image, as it will not in some configurations, as per my experiences.

At this time, I cannot offer any guidance on the alternative usage of Carbon Copy Cloner or other disk management tools due to a lack of data.

s4mb4r4m4

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2021
Oh no, of course not. Sorry, I may have worded my question poorly. I have a partition waiting and ready to go once this download completes. But, if everything goes well and Sorbet kicks the ass it sounds like it does, and I want to blow away my old Leopard that's got 100gb of the 120gb disk, I'd love to just boot into Sorbet, delete the old Leopard partition and then drag the slider up, but someone mentioned in an earlier post that the "sliding up" can cause problems in APM.

Perhaps cloning the 20GB partition at the end, to a 20gb partition at the start, booting into that, and then deleting the partition at the end and sliding down to expand from the start of the drive is a better plan.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@s4mb4r4m4 Pardon me if I'm incorrect, but I don't believe it's even possible to 'slide up' in DU. The partitioning tool allows you to make downward subsets of each main partition, and 'sliding up' a partition subset would effectively just shrink the size further until you hit the very beginning of that partition. Sliding down in contrast expands the space to either the end of the disk, or the beginning of the next partition.

In which case, I have not heard of, nor experienced any problems that APM might have with the process of deleting a subset partition, expanding the upper partition into the now empty space, and then using that for the OS. However, I am also not claiming to know every square inch of APM's inner workings, so he might have a point yet.

In either case, your proposal sounds like a relatively safe route as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: s4mb4r4m4

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
Just downloaded the new version. I should be able to get around to installing it sometime tomorrow. Thanks for your hard work and for keeping us in the loop.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
erm...forgive me if Im asking the obvious..but Im about three quarters thru a restore on an iBook, the 'Apple Partition Format' recommended - is that APFS?
Ive just realised Id selected 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@mortlocli Apple Partition Map is the partitioning scheme that all Mac hardware used (regardless of the OS) from 10.0 until 10.6. Mac OS Extended (Journaled), or HFS+, is the file system (which would sit on top of the APM partitioning scheme) that Mac OS X used from (I believe) 10.2 until about 10.13.

APFS, otherwise known as Apple File System, is the flash-optimized file system which Apple recently developed to replace HFS+, first becoming macOS' default file system in 10.13.

In any case, the partition type does not matter as the disk image will map its own file system onto the partition independent of the preexisting file system that said partition was formatted with.

Last edited:
Reactions: mortlocli

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
@mortlocli I wouldn't be so sure of that. When I first joined this forum, I proclaimed in my very first post that I would never be able to do something, because it seemed so impossibly complex at the time.

Fast forward to a short four years later however, and ... well, you know.

Never underestimate your ability to learn, and do great things as a result. :)
Ha...not wanting to rain on your parade, Z..but Ive been fooling around with Linux for longer than that...and it still does my head in. Ive always been impressed with a light weight distribution named Slitaz. Always wondered how it would go on a PPC. Its real basic as far as bells and whistles go.

Reactions: Amethyst1 and z970
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.