Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoerBoer

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2018
Really looking forward to the USB bootable image as this was the thing I was most interested in. Great work @z970!

macosdon

macrumors member
May 29, 2019
AppleADBButtons.kext
AppleADBKeyboard.kext

are missing. I’d look into those first. At least the keyboard is ADB on pre-2005 iBooks and PowerBooks AFAIK.

Great! Just manually installed these two missing kext files, the internal keyboard is working perfectly now.

One more thing, how do I import other language pack? Any ideas? Thank you! @z970

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
One more thing, how do I import other language pack? Any ideas?
What I'd do is... grab a retail 10.5.6 (or grey 10.5.7 - the newer, the better) image, open the (hidden) System/Installation/Packages folder, look for the package for the desired language pack and install it, either by simply double-clicking it or using Pacifist. As I've never tried this method, it's possible that this might overwrite existing files with older versions from the install image.

Last edited:

stxtc

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2021
Idaho, USA
Hey, I restored the image to a USB drive using CCC 4.1.24 on Monterey, and I booted it on my 1.42 GHz iBook G4, it gives me a prohibitory sign after the Apple logo. How should I install this using a USB drive?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Hey, I restored the image to a USB drive using CCC 4.1.24 on Monterey, and I booted it on my 1.42 GHz iBook G4, it gives me a prohibitory sign after the Apple logo.
Boot again with Command-V held down after turning on. That will boot verbosely with lots of text, so you can see what's up. Post a photo of the text that's on the screen when it stops.

macosdon

macrumors member
May 29, 2019
What I'd do is... grab a retail 10.5.6 (or grey 10.5.7 - the newer, the better) image, open the (hidden) System/Installation/Packages folder, look for the package for the desired language pack and install it, either by simply double-clicking it or using Pacifist. As I've never tried this method, it's possible that this might overwrite existing files with older versions from the install image.
Thank you! I'll give it a try!

macosdon

macrumors member
May 29, 2019
Hey, I restored the image to a USB drive using CCC 4.1.24 on Monterey, and I booted it on my 1.42 GHz iBook G4, it gives me a prohibitory sign after the Apple logo. How should I install this using a USB drive?
Please see my previous steps. Try to restore to a USB device on a PowerPC Mac instead of an Intel or Apple Silicon Mac.

Reactions: stxtc

stxtc

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2021
Idaho, USA
Please see my previous steps. Try to restore to a USB device on a PowerPC Mac instead of an Intel or Apple Silicon Mac.
Could I install Tiger on to one half of the hard drive then restore Sorbet Leopard to the other half when the install is done, and delete the Tiger partition?

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
Wow just wow looks like i got the highest ever recorded geekbench score on the quad. Keep in mind that my lcs has been built from ground up extensively still. Previously it was 3675 with the 6.5gb ram. It was the highest ever score that i have seen on the quad previously. But now this thing oh man a different animal. It can easily open 720p videos from youtube with 6600. Z970MP you are a legend. Whats the password btw cant create a new account. View attachment 1885389

What is LCS?

And by the way, why do you run 2.2.7 when there is 3.x version?

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
Of course Disk Utility restore never works, and I couldn't get DD to do it either; it kept saying resource busy.
I suppose it could be the hard disk I'm trying to use but the errors seem to be pointed at the image, not the destination disk.

Just to make sure, you did check Erase destination prior to restore? With that setting it should work as intended.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Amethyst1 Thanks for covering the keyboard issue for me. I was not expecting the pre-USB PowerBook keyboards to be ADB-based; I really thought they phased that out with the Yikes! G4. Going forward, this is definitely something to include in the revised image.

@k24a1 This seems to be an issue with DiscordPPC as a whole rather than something limited to Sorbet Leopard. They most likely changed something in their website that prevents usage with any older versions of WebKit. For Discord, I suggest using TenFourFox / AquaWeb micro for now.

@stxtc Yes, if they're both on separate partitions.

@barracuda156 At times, a restore has only worked for me if Erase destination was deselected, and even then, only on Leopard Disk Utility, not Tiger. Other times it's worked fine either way.

I suppose your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1 and stxtc

stxtc

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2021
Idaho, USA
@Amethyst1 Thanks for covering the keyboard issue for me. I was not expecting the pre-USB PowerBook keyboards to be ADB-based; I really thought they phased that out with the Yikes! G4. Going forward, this is definitely something to include in the revised image.

@stxtc Yes, if they're both on separate partitions.
Okay! Will try this when I get home from work ?

Doq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
Could I install Tiger on to one half of the hard drive then restore Sorbet Leopard to the other half when the install is done, and delete the Tiger partition?
You can do this. You will want to install Tiger to the back partition (2nd) instead of the front partition (1st), so that when you delete it you'll have a better time extending the Sorbet partition to fill the disk (as it'll extend from the end instead of from the beginning. I've had issues with extending volumes from the beginning on APM).

Reactions: Amethyst1 and stxtc

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
A stopgap image is now in production to resolve the missing keyboard kext issue, among several other elements to enhance the user experience. Hopefully it should be out later today.

To those with ADB-based notebooks, please hold on just a little while longer. Thank you.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
You’re welcome - I faced the opposite issue with Jaguar on a 2005 12” PowerBook: its (USB-based) keyboard and trackpad didn’t work, which made me aware of this difference.

Reactions: z970

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Up and running on a 2 GHz iMac G5.
Wifi working, location set - getting cold in the outside shack so will restore my user account from the iMac's 10.5.8 partition to Sorbet tomorrow.

Many thanks for all the work :)

Hugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.