Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Congratulations z970mp..for creating sorbet and getting the job done!!

Most impressive! Have to admire people who do things I’d have absolutely no way of being able of doing.

Reactions: Romain_H and z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@mortlocli I wouldn't be so sure of that. When I first joined this forum, I proclaimed in my very first post that I would never be able to do something, because it seemed so impossibly complex at the time.

Fast forward to a short four years later however, and ... well, you know.

Never underestimate your ability to learn, and do great things as a result. :)

Last edited:

PowerfulEra

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2017
Wow just wow looks like i got the highest ever recorded geekbench score on the quad. Keep in mind that my lcs has been built from ground up extensively still. Previously it was 3675 with the 6.5gb ram. It was the highest ever score that i have seen on the quad previously. But now this thing oh man a different animal. It can easily open 720p videos from youtube with 6600. Z970MP you are a legend. Whats the password btw cant create a new account.
20211101_001739.jpg

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@PowerfulEra The default password is 'sorbet', which the login window / change password preferences pane will tell you from the password hint.

In hindsight, I probably should have included that somewhere in the documentation for better clarity ... or better yet, maybe a default password shouldn't have been included at all ...

-

I'm overjoyed. :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PowerfulEra

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Jack Neill Silly question, but after running the system tuneup script (as instructed in the Welcome to Sorbet Leopard document), have you tried rebooting a second time afterward? One of the things the script does is repair the permissions, and maybe something (a kext, probably) wasn't playing ball due to being restored to disk instead of being traditionally installed. And in that case, a permissions repair should have solved it.

Otherwise, this will require more investigation ...

@Amethyst1 For whatever it's worth, I have never been able to get a different Geekbench score (outside of a 1 or 2 point difference; never over that) on any given OS just by re-running the benchmark, which would fluctuate if it were indeed due to margin of error.

Historically, that's been my experience. So in my opinion, a whole 34 point positive difference in Geekbench probably would not qualify for being within the margin of error in that regard. Just saying.

Last edited:

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
@Jack Neill Silly question, but after running the system tuneup script (as instructed in the Welcome to Sorbet Leopard document), have you tried rebooting a second time afterward? One of the things the script does is repair the permissions, and maybe something (a kext, probably) wasn't playing ball due to being restored to disk instead of being traditionally installed. And in that case, a permissions repair should have solved it.

Otherwise, this will require more investigation ...
I did not read the document lol. Let me try the script. I did restart tho.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
So in my opinion, a whopping 34 point difference probably would not qualify for being within the margin of error in that regard.
I have seen scores fluctuate by a few dozen points between consecutive runs.

In any case, 3709 is still less than one per cent higher than 3675.

IMO, people focus way too much on these stupid synthetic benchmarks anyway. To hell with them. What matters is if it’s actually faster in real-world use cases.

Whatever - many thanks for your hard work on Sorbet Leopard. :)

Last edited:

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I have seen scores fluctuate by a few dozen points between consecutive runs.

In any case, 3709 is still less than one per cent higher than 3675.

IMO, people focus way too much on these “stupid” synthetic benchmarks anyway. To hell with them. What matters is if it’s actually faster in real-world use cases.
I went down a rabbit hole like that on my 2020 i5 Air and thermal modding and constantly trying to get GB5 numbers up. In the end my MB works exactly the same albeit a few degrees cooler.

Reactions: Amethyst1

PowerfulEra

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2017
Most certinally still i have the highest score babyyy. Gonna max it out with 32gb ram and fx 4500 then we can see the true max i guess. Fingers crossed for 3.8k

• Wow
Reactions: Jack Neill

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Doesn’t the Quad max out at 16 GB though? A faster GPU doesn’t affect GB, neither does having more RAM (as long as there’s enough so that the memory benchmarks don’t cause crazy paging).

Last edited:

PowerfulEra

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2017
Before my 2nd FX 4500 i had the chance to test it with and without on gb. If i recall correctly in my case it affected 50-100 points something. Well it supports 32gb theoratically even 64 but memory controllers nor apps can use more than 16 gbs. This madlad used his quad as a server for a while and back in the day. The memory controller cant make use is his claim not mine. As far as we know this is the only recorded case of 32gb in 11.2

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Before my 2nd FX 4500 i had the chance to test it with and without on gb. If i recall correctly in my case it affected 50-100 points something
Did you run GB several times and average the results in both cases to rule out possible fluctuations? I don’t trust a single run of GB due to my experience.

The highest recorded GB2 for a Quad is 3738 by the way. :)

Well it supports 32gb theoratically even 64 but memory controllers nor apps can use more than 16 gbs.
What’s the point of having more than 16 GB then?

Last edited:
Reactions: Project Alice

PowerfulEra

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2017
''The highest recorded GB2 for a Quad is 3738 by the way.''
Damn didn't see would it be possible to link it or can you tell me where can i find it.

Well the point is the for sake of having it lol and can't you squeeze some more points out of with the bandwith of 32gb am i wrong? Just imagine Amethyst1 having a 32gb ram in the Quad what an unusable beast lol.

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.