Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
I believe we've just been discussing various aspects of Sorbet don't think any were intended 'put downs.' It certainly made me think about aspects I wouldn't have thought about before.
Don't know bout you guys - but I find the discussion in here a great little escape from the 'outside' world. And I learn stuff.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
There is a slight issue with Migration Assistant - when I transferred my 10.6.8 firewire CCC backups to both my iMac G5 and Pismo G4; these were different accounts from different hard drives; the transfer stalled at the end with "One minute remaining". I left it for an hour in hopes but in the end cancelled.
I then discovered that none of my apps / games had been copied over, and re-opened Migration Assistant, which offered to resume the task.
At this point my apps / games were copied over and all was well.
So, it seems that at least for me Migration Assistant needs to run twice to finish the job properly.

@Hellfirechrome I've put Sorbet onto my Pismo G4 550, and to be honest if there's a performance increase over the previous Leopard installation it's very slight and maybe not worth the bother at this level of processor / GPU.
An Xbench run put it far lower than Leopard, probably because I had ATI drivers from Jaguar which give much better graphics.
I might try them later in Sorbet but for the moment I'm currently restoring my Leo install to the Pismo.

Just to confirm, Sorbet is running great on the iMac G5 2.0 ;)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: ChrisCharman

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
good to hear about the Imac G5, Hugh.

I haven't install sorbet on my G5 iMac yet..leant it to someone..but am looking forward to getting around to doing that.

Cubbie36

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2017
Is Macintoshgarden down for everyone else? Can't download the sorbet leopard installer cause MG seems to be down.

fogWraith

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2021
Sajberspejs
Is Macintoshgarden down for everyone else? Can't download the sorbet leopard installer cause MG seems to be down.
Your IP has probably been caught in the web, the system has been on the fritz since a certain other site has been attacking the garden... though, if you send me a message with the IP I'll look it up for you and hopefully have it resolved asap.

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
Just installed Sorbet on my new to me iMac G5 and it is running really well. One weird issue I have noticed, however, is that if I plug in my 4th gen iPod Touch to a Mac running Sorbet, it won't sync or charge (this happened on both my Sawtooth and my iMac G5). My iPod Video (5th Gen Classic) will sync and charge and my 6th gen iPod will charge even though it can't sync because it needs an OS newer than Leopard. The 4th Gen iPod Touch does work and I am able to charge and sync it under vanilla Leopard. Any ideas as to what might be going on?

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@MacFoxG4 Support for iOS devices has been disabled by default because unlike regular iPods, it requires a daemon (usbmuxd) to run in the background (which consumes CPU threads + RAM), which many people don't tend to make use of (much like Spotlight). Most of the time, I certainly didn't.

More comprehensive documentation explaining this upfront was probably needed on my part. Well, at least now we know where to improve in the future.

Anyway, navigate to:

Applications > Utility Scripts > Peripherals > iOS Devices > Enable iOS Device Communication

Rebooting afterward shouldn't be necessary. At least restart iTunes, though.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Now this is interesting.

This guy on reddit, running vanilla 10.5.8, recently reported an inability for iTunes 10.6.3 to connect to the iTunes Store. For reference, I just checked another 10.5.8 (w/ iTunes 10.6.3) install on my end, and sure enough, I was unable to do so as well. I ensured beforehand that it had a connection to the Internet, as well as the correct date and time.

Picture 1.png

Can anyone else on regular Leopard confirm if they are still able to connect to the iTunes Store? Maybe Apple finally pulled the plug with a recent TLS upgrade?

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
iMac G5, 10.5.8, iTunes 10.6.3, logged into the store OK but not able to view my account or make a purchase.
I am in the UK.
By contrast, a Macbook Air on 10.6.8, iTunes 11.4, logged into store, not able to view my account but apparently still able to make a purchase.

Hugh
Hi @Hughmac

Have you relinked the 10.5.8 copy of iTunes against LWK? Also from the UK by the way! I’ll check mine when i get a chance and report back.

@z970 Is iTunes on Sorbet relinked against the certificates included in LWK or have you used the latest certificates available on Apple Open Source Projects?

Reactions: lepidotós

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Hi @Hughmac

Have you relinked the 10.5.8 copy of iTunes against LWK? Also from the UK by the way! I’ll check mine when i get a chance and report back.

@z970 Is iTunes on Sorbet relinked against the certificates included in LWK or have you used the latest certificates available on Apple Open Source Projects?
Sorry, no re-link as I'm not sure what you mean. I don't normally use LWK as I'm an InterWeb user.
All working fine in Mojave so there's nothing wrong with the store ;)

Hugh

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@ChrisCharman The version of iTunes shipped with Sorbet Rev. 1.4 is the system stock variant, linked against the default certificates (which in this case I suppose would be the ones from 10.13.6, unless iTunes uses its own certificates, which I would need to double-check). I did try linking iTunes against WebKit during testing, but that made no difference in neither usage nor connectivity except inflate the application size, so it wasn't included in the end.

I wonder if this is a US-specific issue?

Last edited:

ChrisCharman

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2020
Bournemouth, UK
@ChrisCharman The version of iTunes shipped with Sorbet Rev. 1.4 is the system stock variant, linked against the default certificates (which in this case I suppose would be the ones from 10.13.6, unless iTunes uses its own certificates, which I would need to double-check). I did try linking iTunes against WebKit during testing, but that made no difference in neither usage nor connectivity except inflate the application size.

I wonder if this is a US-specific issue?
I’ve just tested under vanilla Leopard in the UK using relinked and stock versions of iTunes and the same issue presents itself. Seems Apple have changed something on the backend. Perhaps they’re finally moving away from WebObjects or changed something else and have broken compatibility with older versions of iTunes?

Reactions: lepidotós and z970

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
I’m from the US and I also have noticed that iTunes 10.6.3 won’t connect to the store. This applies to both vanilla Leopard and Sorbet.

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
I’m from the US and I also have noticed that iTunes 10.6.3 won’t connect to the store. This applies to both vanilla Leopard and Sorbet.
Was watching Mikes Mac shack live stream last night where he took Sorbet for a ride on a white imac g5. He liked it alot and is keeping it as his default OS on that machine. YT played pretty darn well on it as well. He was impressed. Noticed that Itunes did not connect to the store but chalked it up to a 14ish year old OS - something to work on in future releases ... or not :)

Mercedes33

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2021
Germany
Hello
I have a question. I own a Powermac G5 Quadcore with the LCS-System and I want to install sorbet Leopard but I don't know if its work with the LCS System. I think the Quad have a special Watersystem program which I maybe not in Sorbet Leopard installed. Do you know if I would have no problems with the LCS system when im installing sorbet Leopard.
And how can I put my Data from Leopard to Sorbet Leopard? Can I upgrade it or I have to install it completely new?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Hello
I have a question. I own a Powermac G5 Quadcore with the LCS-System and I want to install sorbet Leopard but I don't know if its work with the LCS System. I think the Quad have a special Watersystem program which I maybe not in Sorbet Leopard installed. Do you know if I would have no problems with the LCS system when im installing sorbet Leopard.
And how can I put my Data from Leopard to Sorbet Leopard? Can I upgrade it or I have to install it completely new?

The LCS system will be invisible to the OS, though it will respond to the thermal sensors as it would with conventional cooling.

Sorbet Leopard is a disk image rather than an installation so it will wipe out the previous install - if you install it on another partition data migration is possible.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
That's an interesting point, Drone.
I haven't got around to putting the latest version on my iBook. Was thinking about having Linux on the second partition but I am now thinking of using it as a data partition. Certainly would make reinstallments easy n quicker

HAL2010

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
The Netherlands
Installed it in a partition on a CF-card in my Mac Mini and restored my old Leopard with Time Machine. So far so good. Thanks! Now I have a Mac Mini G4 with 2 OS’es that don’t exist in the real Mac World. OS 9.2.2 for the Mac Mini and Sorbet Leopard.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
A CF-card..gee, haven't thought about those for a while.
..and sorbet boots up ok from one of those..or do you mean you installed it from there, HAL?

HAL2010

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2014
The Netherlands
A CF-card..gee, haven't thought about those for a while.
..and sorbet boots up ok from one of those..or do you mean you installed it from there, HAL?
It boots up from the CF-card. I installed the card in the Mac Mini, put the Mini in target mode and installed from another Mac. I already had all the stuff so I gave it a try.

Reactions: ChrisCharman

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
The levels of misinformation and ignorance on so called dedicated Mac channels is shocking - hopefully Action Retro will do a proper job!
Sean is one of my favs - fun content and he moved (or is moving?) and has threatened us with showing more than just his arms with his new ample video space. I dont think Mike gives a crap what any of us thinks, truthfully. I figure for him (a self professed vintage x86 guy & new to osx/macos) its more about participating in his immediate group of mac-nerd friends which I totally get. That proto type g5 that he has (I think is the one he used to demo Sorbet - forgot to ask) is pretty neat.He was dropping it on a powerbook as well but I fell asleep before he really started - something about it being pretty hot and then I was out like a trout. Can't keep up with those late hours anymore.

Misinformation? I'm sure we're swimming in a sea of hyperbole, so put a life jacket on :D Rest assured, if we think we might run up against some flagrant misinforming, we can put it through its paces over here or over at TD or on MY or any of their discords. Lotsa places to publicly correct their hernest efforts to entertain.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.