Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
This is unrelated, but the amount of work done to bring a Snow Leopardish experience to Leopard is really bringing dreams of a patched and modernized version of 10.0 DP2 to mind, especially for G3s. I'd think the Platinum interface would save at least some resources over Aqua. I would start on that myself, but I'm openly incompetent.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Misinformation? I'm sure we're swimming in a sea of hyperbole, so put a life jacket on :D Rest assured, if we think we might run up against some flagrant misinforming, we can put it through its paces over here or over at TD or on MY or any of their discords. Lotsa places to publicly correct their hernest efforts to entertain.
My point is if you have a channel dedicated to retro Mac, at least make an effort and do some research - one couldn't even get Sorbet's name right and talked about downloading the free version...amongst other nonsense during an uninformative "review."

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
'..the free version'??
Gee - that guy really hadn't done his homework, eh.
But it is like - just a 'hobby' sort of attitude..I guess?

You ok, Drone?
..you know theres a lot of well intending erm..experts out there, eh?

Reactions: lepidotós

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Yes, just 'old man yelling at clouds' :p
Hey you just reminded me of one of my favorite British Sitcoms - Waiting For God. Love that one. :)

Yeah, yanno these guys are all over the place in interest, experience, intent, budget and skillset, so it is up to us to filter out the questionable statements. Then again, the livestream events are meant for that sort of "hey dumby, that's not right" banter in the chat. I can see an expectation for accurate content to have more relavence with polished videos that Sean or Ken puts out but the live, hey lets break stuff and see what it does livestreams are a little different.

Reactions: mortlocli

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
off topic, I know (..so spank me.)

reminds me of when Id been texting my sister about the volume of paintings Van Gogh was turning out. I texted - :
"He must have been racing with the devil."
Her reply as quick as a flash was: "Better to be racing with the devil, than waiting for God."

Reactions: Dronecatcher

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Hey you just reminded me of one of my favorite British Sitcoms - Waiting For God. Love that one. :)

Yeah, yanno these guys are all over the place in interest, experience, intent, budget and skillset, so it is up to us to filter out the questionable statements. Then again, the livestream events are meant for that sort of "hey dumby, that's not right" banter in the chat. I can see an expectation for accurate content to have more relavence with polished videos that Sean or Ken puts out but the live, hey lets break stuff and see what it does livestreams are a little different.
Fair point - my comments were aimed more at the "Daves Vintage Apple Tech" video but again, I'm not the target audience so shouldn't be so grouchy...actually I don't know what their target audience is - newbies would be lost and old hands wouldn't already done their research.
I was just looking for some compare and contrast, real world comparisons.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
off topic, I know (..so spank me.)

reminds me of when Id been texting my sister about the volume of paintings Van Gogh was turning out. I texted - :
"He must have been racing with the devil."
Her reply as quick as a flash was: "Better to be racing with the devil, than waiting for God."
Poor old Vincent knew he was up against the clock...

I actually did a Van Gogh themed fan vid many moons ago with an appropriate song:

Reactions: mortlocli

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@lepidotós What are some of the features and characteristics you would like to see in a hypothetical new version of Rhapsody / 10.0 DP2, if it were to happen?

For reference purposes. :)

Last edited:

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
@z970
Carbon 1.6.1 is an obvious one, as well as a newer Darwin and Cocoa, if possible, but those are less realistic.
If it were possible to strip the Blue Box menu bar and integrate it into the X menu bar more cleanly, that would be a very nice to have feature that could possibly be backported to Classic if it works similarly. Admittedly I don't know if that's possible, I just skimmed the idea off Frogfind.
General optimization and bugfixing is another obvious one.
Tear-away menus was a cool feature in NeXTSTEP that I use all the time in the Window Maker desktop, and I've seen people grumble about their removal from X.
If a dock is included, it'd be nice if it was optional, and the option of the Control Strip would be nice if possible and not too inconvenient for quick access to settings.
I don't expect this, but a rough implementation of relatively modern Web capability (around Tiger's level) is a nice-to-have. And 10.13's security certificates if it's still the same format.
At least a G3 minimum would be very nice, maybe a 603e if looking for a challenge but if the web stuff bumps it up to G3, that's fine, 9.2.2 was G3 only as well IIRC.
I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting or just have never encountered. Maybe an option to either use the more NeXTish Rhapsody UI or the more Classic Mac-styled 10.0 DP2 UI? That would probably be unrealistic as you'd have to maintain two (or more if you count DR1 and DR2 as being different enough to warrant separating) different yet still integrated desktops. Generally just more hardware support? That seems like it's obvious enough not to need saying, but I'm just putting it in here to make sure I've exhausted all of what I had in mind.
A completely unrealistic fantasy scenario would be support for POWER9 and more recent hardware. Just getting G3s to be viable daily drivers to cut down on e-waste and legitimize older computers and architecture diversity as more than just toys for the sole purpose of video gaming is my dream.
Oh, almost forgot, a Startup Disk item in the Control Strip!

Last edited:
Reactions: MacFoxG4 and z970

s4mb4r4m4

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2021
@z970 If you need additional testers for the USB install method, I'm available.

I'm also going to try an M.2 SATA to IDE converter instead of mSATA. I wonder if the physically larger SSD will generate less heat in the voltage conversion than the little mSATA?

Reactions: fra9000

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Do I have to format a partition n APFS? Can I install this on a partition that was done with Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

If I have to install this on a APFS partition, can I use my MacBook Air M1? That is the only machine that I have that can make a APFS partition.

One more noob question- I want to install this on my Pismo with a G4 550mhz. The mSATA that I have installed has a 24GB partition that I left on there for this OS. If I have to partition with APFS, can I repartition just that partition without erasing the whole drive?

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
I installed 10.5 Sorbet on a PowerBook Pismo that has a 550mhz G4 (7410) upgrade. I got this screen when I tried to boot into Sorbet.

Attachments

• 309612FD-4D2A-4564-BBA8-D8E392170B17.jpeg
    309612FD-4D2A-4564-BBA8-D8E392170B17.jpeg
    646.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Reactions: lepidotós

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@ww2_1943 Sorry, I was unavailable for most of the day.

Can you confirm that regular Leopard will boot on your G4-upgraded Pismo? Sorbet Leopard makes no modifications that would prevent any ordinarily compatible PowerPC machine from at least booting the OS, so unless 10.5.8 for whatever reason refuses to boot on the same hardware as well, I'm unable to offer you any solutions at this time.

If I recall correctly however, @Hughmac was successful in getting his G4-upgraded Pismo to boot Sorbet Leopard, so I'm half-inclined to believe the cause is something concerning your unit (or potentially installation methods) in particular.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Yes, it boots and runs fine on my Pismo G4, 128GB SSD and 1GB RAM.
I restored Sorbet from my Tiger partition onto my wiped Leopard partition, then restored a backup of the Leopard install using Migration assistant.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: ww2_1943

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
@ww2_1943 Sorry, I was unavailable for most of the day.

Can you confirm that regular Leopard will boot on your G4-upgraded Pismo? Sorbet Leopard makes no modifications that would prevent any ordinarily compatible PowerPC machine from at least booting the OS, so unless 10.5.8 for whatever reason refuses to boot on the same hardware as well, I'm unable to offer you any solutions at this time.

If I recall correctly however, @Hughmac was successful in getting his G4-upgraded Pismo to boot Sorbet Leopard, so I'm half-inclined to believe the cause is something concerning your unit (or potentially installation methods) in particular.
Thanks for your reply! I never installed Leopard on the machine. I am running 10.4.11 and OS 9 currently. I followed the install instructions on Macintosh Garden using restore in Disk Utility. I downloaded the zip on Mac Garden (mirror.us) directly to the Pismo.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Yes, it boots and runs fine on my Pismo G4, 128GB SSD and 1GB RAM.
I restored Sorbet from my Tiger partition onto my wiped Leopard partition, then restored a backup of the Leopard install using Migration assistant.

Hugh
Hello Hugh,

I have the same specs. I restored from my Tiger partition using Disk Utility.

Do you think I should try again but choose Erase Destination? I had a failed restore attempt earlier and I dragged the contents out of the partition into the trash. I didn’t not choose Erase Destination when I attempted this again.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Hello Hugh,

I have the same specs. I restored from my Tiger partition using Disk Utility.

Do you think I should try again but choose Erase Destination? I had a failed restore attempt earlier and I dragged the contents out of the partition into the trash. I didn’t not choose Erase Destination when I attempted this again.
They tell me that you should erase the destination, but since I had already formatted the partition for Sorbet from Tiger I didn't bother.
By all means try though, as it might make a difference.

Hugh

Reactions: ww2_1943

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Installed Sorbet on my 1.0ghz TiBook. Runs great and definitely a good fit for this old 'book. The only issue I've seen with Sorbet is the inability to install Adobe Acrobat Pro in any flavor. I've tried 6,7, and 8 (this one with CS3) with zero success. It just errors out saying that it cannot install it. I don't have the same issue with vanilla Leopard. I originally thought that it was the disabling of fonts that caused the issue on my iMac G4, but I didn't disable any fonts on the TiBook and the problem persists.

Other than that, it's definitely a worthwhile install. Great work!

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
They tell me that you should erase the destination, but since I had already formatted the partition for Sorbet from Tiger I didn't bother.

Hugh
Still no luck. I erased the partition before restoring.
DC3F4A50-B50C-4A6E-ADD0-4FCAFE61D0FD.jpeg

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ

Hugh
Is your G4 a 7410 by any chance?

Attachments

• 5636596E-CB40-45F6-9959-14998B08ADAB.jpeg
    5636596E-CB40-45F6-9959-14998B08ADAB.jpeg
    439.4 KB · Views: 60
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.