Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I've an Intel Mac with 12.1 and I've downloaded the Sorbet DMG and opened it / mounted it to my desktop. Then I go into Disk Utility and restore it onto an 8GB flash drive. I almost immediately get this:

Restoring “Flash” from “Sorbet Leopard”

Validating target...
Validating source...
Validating sizes...
Could not validate sizes - Operation not permitted
The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 1.)

Operation failed…

The intent is to use this with a G5 DP 2.0 2004, the 1st gen.

Any thoughts?

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I can't get this to install on my iMac G4. I've tried over and over, and every time I get "An error (2) occurred while copying. (No such file or directory)" I tried every combination of "Erase Destination" and "Skip Checksum". I tried using the DMG as the source and the mounted volume as the source. I've re-downloaded to make sure I didn't have a bad download. Everything fails. Any ideas what could be going on.?
I've no idea what's causing your problem for the moment but I plan on installing to my 1.25GHz G4 iMac (USB2 version) later today and will report back on completion.

Reactions: CygnusTM

Zorka

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2021
I've an Intel Mac with 12.1 and I've downloaded the Sorbet DMG and opened it / mounted it to my desktop. Then I go into Disk Utility and restore it onto an 8GB flash drive. I almost immediately get this:

Restoring “Flash” from “Sorbet Leopard”

Validating target...
Validating source...
Validating sizes...
Could not validate sizes - Operation not permitted
The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 1.)

Operation failed…

The intent is to use this with a G5 DP 2.0 2004, the 1st gen.

Any thoughts?
2 toughts

First check the size of the decompressed image. The first time I unzipped it, it was only about 1GB. Second time it was around 10GB if I remember it correctly.

Second, 10GB Will not fit on a 8GB flash drive ?

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I was able to burn this.

I'd read that one couldn't mount the DMG to the desktop and then burn it, but I didn't believe that. After mounting to the desktop, Finder refused to burn the DMG to a DVD.

I had to delete the DMG file I'd touched previously, then explode the zipfile again, and I then used Finder to burn the DVD DMG (1.7GB) again, and this time it worked.

Reactions: ww2_1943

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
The PowerMac G5 DP 2.0 was still unable to boot with the DMG file - it shows the Apple logo, but the spinning circle under it never went away (in contrast to Apple's 10.4.2 CD set, which was able to boot quickly and without issue). Thus it appears the SuperDrive in the G5 is unable to read both DVD and DVD-DL disks (the 1.7GB Sorbet image was on a DVD; the official Apple 10.5.6 DVD, at 7.x GB, was on a DVD-DL).

The machine has other issues; even in an installed 10.4.2, it hangs (full hardware hang, no mouse movement, no error message) takes place every 5-15 minutes after bootup. It happened twice when I was installing 10.4.2, but then I removed the 20-year-old 200GB HDD and it seemed to do better (with a 256GB SSD) but then it was back to square one once I got into the 10.4.2 OS with the SSD and it still continued to hang.

:(

Anyone have any ideas on how to t-shoot a 20 year old G5 that randomly hangs? No error messages... in 10.4.2. I'd put 10.4.9 or 10.5.x on there if I could, but it hangs enough that it's difficult to do...

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@CooperBox It may be possible to integrate DuckDuckGo into WebKit's default list of search engine options, although I am currently unaware of the exact method that can be used to do so. I recommend simply bookmarking DDG or setting it as your home page as a stopgap.

@CygnusTM How large is the DMG file that you're working with, and from which of the two download locations was it sourced from? Which OS version was it mounted and restored from?

@ww2_1943 Again, I'd suggest verifying first that this behavior does not occur in 10.5.8 on your particular hardware before regarding it as a potential issue with Sorbet.

Zorka

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2021
2 toughts

First check the size of the decompressed image. The first time I unzipped it, it was only about 1GB. Second time it was around 10GB if I remember it correctly.

Second, 10GB Will not fit on a 8GB flash drive ?

That’s way too small. The Sorbet partition image is around 10 GB. It’s not intended to be booted from a read-only DVD either.
I was able to burn this.

I'd read that one couldn't mount the DMG to the desktop and then burn it, but I didn't believe that. After mounting to the desktop, Finder refused to burn the DMG to a DVD.

I had to delete the DMG file I'd touched previously, then explode the zipfile again, and I then used Finder to burn the DVD DMG (1.7GB) again, and this time it worked.
Check your image file…. The correct image is around 10GB, and is working great

TitaniumFrog

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2021
That’s way too small. The Sorbet partition image is around 10 GB. It’s not intended to be booted from a read-only DVD either.
I had the same thing, with the 1.7GB Sorbet image. I couldn't get a Mac OS to extract the zip properly, so I did it via Windows 10 (7Zip) and put the image to a Mac using network storage. Only then I was able to restore the Sorbet Leopard via FireWire Target Mode to my PowerBook G4 17" 1.33. And I do have to say, it works great!

Reactions: Amethyst1

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I'll download it again. When unzipping in Windows with Winrar I get corrupt archive alerts with the 4.25GB zipfile.

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Very interesting : when I unzip with 7Zip on Windows, the resulting DMG file is 10GB in size.

1. If we're making this for a Mac audience, why do I have to put it on a PC to get it to work?
2. What do I do with a 10GB DMG file? Can I copy it to the G5's SSD and then open it directly? Do I need to do something else with it? /confused

Sorry for the basic l1 questions... new to G5 PPC Macs.

Zorka

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2021
Very interesting : when I unzip with 7Zip on Windows, the resulting DMG file is 10GB in size.

1. If we're making this for a Mac audience, why do I have to put it on a PC to get it to work?
2. What do I do with a 10GB DMG file? Can I copy it to the G5's SSD and then open it directly? Do I need to do something else with it? /confused

Where did you download it from?
This is from macintosh garden :

Code:
Installation Guide
I. Download, and then decompress the Sorbet Leopard R14.zip archive.

II. Using Disk Utility, prepare a 20 GB partition or larger using the Apple Partition Map partitioning scheme.

III. Select the prepared partition in the Disk Utility sidebar, and then enter the Restore tab.

IV. Drag and drop Sorbet Leopard.dmg into the horizontal Source: box.

V. Drag and drop the now highlighted partition from its location on the sidebar into the horizontal Destination: box.

VI. Hit the Restore button located to the bottom-right corner of the Destination box. In most cases, leaving the Erase destination checkbox and / or the Skip checksum checkbox as-is (if present) should not halt the installation process.

If Disk Utility presents an error upon attempting to install the disk image however, select or deselect one of the two checkboxes and retry.

Please allow the system time to generate the kext / app cache upon first boot. Once logged in, remember to change the system date and time to reflect your current location.

After being temporarily enabled, again disabling 'Automatically set date & time' within the Date & Time preference pane is recommended to keep the background daemon count to a minimum, which will help to conserve CPU threads and RAM.

Reactions: Amethyst1

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Thanks. Still need a hand. I'm running OF 5.1.7f8 on the G5, so (since it's not 5.2, which I understand is what's required to boot USB) I'm stuck - I can't write the image to a DVD, and I can't write the image to USB and then boot from it.

I don't have firewire so that I could put it into target disk mode and connect to it with another old Mac; there's no other old Mac that still has FW and supports that.

Does the 20GB partition I have to make need to be on another SATA drive, so that I could cram 2 SATA disks into the G5 and then boot from one to install onto the other?

What's the overall set of operations here to do this?

CygnusTM

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2016
WV, USA
It appears to be an extraction issue for me, too. I had been working with a 1.7GB .dmg also. I used a different tool, and now I have a 9.65 GB .dmg. Trying again with this one.

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Trying again with this one.
Can you detail a little bit what you're doing? Is the activity you're doing by going thru the Restore steps going to give you a 20GB partition that can then install onto another partition on the same disk so that other partition becomes the new bootable 10.5.9, or is result of the Restore steps to give you a fully bootable partition that you can then use as a 10.5.9 daily driver / daily use, without needing to go thru that intermediate install step?

I'm confused on what's required to get going. My G5 refuses to boot from any DVD+R DL install media I give it, so I can't get from 10.4.11 to 10.5.8, and so I'm looking for other ways to get a newer MacOS on there. I have a 256GB SSD in there that works (with 10.4.11), and I can freely make and boot any CDs without issue (hence I could install 10.4.x and I'm running Apple's hardware tests 2.5.8 on there now, all from CD, to test and perhaps see why it's crashing.)

CygnusTM

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2016
WV, USA
Can you detail a little bit what you're doing?
I'm following the directions on the download page on Macintosh Garden. I've booted into Tiger and extracted the .zip to a 9.65 GB .dmg. I'm restoring the .dmg to a separate partition using Disk Utility. When it is done I'll restart and boot from that partition, and I should be good to go.

Edit: I have a working install on my Powermac G4 MDD, and it's installing on my iMac G4 as I type this. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

doscore

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2020
well comparing it to SL 10.6 190 the speed is there but all those skins make my dual 2.3dp lag a little and YouTube is still buggy but everything else is really good

Zorka

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2021

Just some findings I had when installing Sorbet Leopard....

1. The best way to unzip, was using the terminal app and just use the unzip utility.... Unzip in finder didn't go that well.
2. You'll have to restore the image (dmg) to a seperate partition. I had problems adding a partition without loosing my active 10.4 install. That's why I switched to Target Disc Mode

PS: This is also my first PPC experience, never had one before, but I love the design. It's a iMac G4 17'' USB 2.0

Reactions: fra9000

quattro4ever

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2019
Poland
well comparing it to SL 10.6 190 the speed is there but all those skins make my dual 2.3dp lag a little and YouTube is still buggy but everything else is really good
same for me, youtube is useless
but I must admit that the system itself looks and works really well

MacPro2006VBox

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Just some findings I had when installing Sorbet Leopard....

1. The best way to unzip, was using the terminal app and just use the unzip utility.... Unzip in finder didn't go that well.
2. You'll have to restore the image (dmg) to a seperate partition. I had problems adding a partition without loosing my active 10.4 install. That's why I switched to Target Disc Mode

PS: This is also my first PPC experience, never had one before, but I love the design. It's a iMac G4 17'' USB 2.0

I had to use the unarchiver as Keka didn’t like the archived DMG.

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Here's my issue:

1. My 10.4.11 G5 (my only PPC Mac, and my only non-2019 or newer Mac) hangs a lot, so doing things on it isn't reliable. I've managed to get 10.4 on there, but I can't prove if the problem is an SSD (Samsung 840 SATA SSD) or something else, so I'd like to take an old 3.5" SATA HDD and install 10.5.8/10.5.9 on there directly, and remove the SATA SSD from the equation to see if things change.
2. On my Intel Mac, I took a single 2.5" SATA HDD, attached via USB, and did the Apple Partition Map erase on it, then put 4 HFS partitions+ partitions on it, 2 30GB partitions for 10.5.8 and 10.5.9 and 2 200GB partitions for 2 OS installs, of 10.5.8 and 10.5.9.
3. In 12.1, when I try to restore either the Apple ISO or the 10.5.9 DMG, I get similar errors:

Restoring “TEST_1059” from “Sorbet Leopard.dmg”

Validating target...
Validating source...
Could not validate source - Invalid argument
The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 22.)

Operation failed…

....what must I do so I can restore the Sorbet Leopard.dmg onto one of my 4 partitions on the attached disk? Again, using 12.1.

The Sorbet Leopard.dmg is believed to be good and is 10.36GB in size.

cyberish

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2013
Fantastic project!! Thank you!
Is there a kext installer app for PPC Mac OS X ? - Bluethooth is not working as desired for a Logitech K760 (It works with all other Macs around here and also on 10.4.11 (Apple Cube ) or/and 10.5.8 (G4 Powerbook 12")

jjcs

Cancelled
Oct 18, 2021
I've no idea what's causing your problem for the moment but I plan on installing to my 1.25GHz G4 iMac (USB2 version) later today and will report back on completion.
I did that (1.25 iMac G4) a week ago and it's worked quite well.

Reactions: fra9000

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
At long last I got round to trying Sorbet by taking my G4 iMac off OS9 duties and re-partitioning the drive.
It’s the 800Mhz model with 512Mb RAM and a 5400RPM spinner - so an ideal underpowered candidate.

As I was pitching Sorbet against my standard Leopard install which has nearly the same bundle of tricks applied, I wasn’t surprised to see no apparent performance difference - however, Geekbench and XBench both showed a few points in Sorbet’s favour.

My own ‘real world’ benchmark gave Sorbet the best lead, shaving between 30 and 50 seconds off the results from Leopard.

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

Picture 4.png

Lastly I did this video to counter the Sorbet reviews that seem to maintain Leopard can’t do Youtube!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.