Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@cyberish There are no changes present in Sorbet Leopard that should have any effect on Bluetooth functionality. Perhaps double-check your Bluetooth preferences?

@ww2_1943 Unfortunately, I cannot think of anything unique to Sorbet that might inhibit disc ejection on any platform. Essentially, the only kexts that were removed were those responsible for controlling the built-in modem, as well as everything Intel-only ... and frameworks of any kind were not touched (except to strip out Intel code).

@Hughmac Can you please confirm if the disc tray behaves as expected on your Pismo?

Last edited:

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
@cyberish There are no changes present in Sorbet Leopard that should have any effect on Bluetooth functionality. Perhaps double-check your Bluetooth preferences?

@ww2_1943 Unfortunately, I cannot think of anything unique to Sorbet that might inhibit disc ejection on any platform. Essentially, the only kexts that were removed were those responsible for controlling the built-in modem, as well as everything Intel-only ... and frameworks of any kind were not touched (except to strip out Intel code).

@Hughmac Can you please confirm if the disc tray behaves as expected on your Pismo?
At this moment, no, sorry. My Pismo is currently not liking any DVD units, but before this happened it always ejected fine via F12 on Leopard.

Cheers :)

Hugh

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
At this moment, no, sorry. My Pismo is currently not liking any DVD units, but before this happened it always ejected fine via F12 on Leopard.

Hugh

I installed the patch for the ATI 128 someone posted earlier in the thread and that solved my DVD issue.

Reactions: fra9000

aurora72

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Türkiye
Thank you for the updated comparison. To me personally, the improvements coming with the Sorbet are more psychological rather than technical.The Sorbet's S.Leopard style detailed windows, better usability and the S. Leopard look and feel in general are more than enough for me. By now I've migrated the majority of the applications I used in Leopard into Sorbet and all are working fine. And some nice little touches that comes only with the Sorbet such as the updated Weather gadget are more than welcome too. I didn't even know that there was an alternative Weather gadget or the default one could be updated.

On my Mac mini G4 1.25 modded to 1.5 GHz , that same video namely the House of Love - the Loneliest Girl, plays with some picture interruptions but without any audio interruption. I guess its video codec might be a bit too heavy for the G4 to decode.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
On my Mac mini G4 1.25 modded to 1.5 GHz , that same video namely the House of Love - the Loneliest Girl, plays with some picture interruptions but without any audio interruption. I guess its video codec might be a bit too heavy for the G4 to decode.

As my 800Mhz iMac demonstrated, decoding the video is not the problem - it's the script laden wrapper of the Youtube page that makes it difficult.

The danger of using WebKit with a current user agent and updated certificates is that it then gets served a modern web page designed for machines ten times more powerful.

Plus, of course inline ads that even a modified hosts file can't always prevent.

I'll also add, on my iMac, waking from sleep brings on a kernel panic in both Sorbet and Leopard - not a problem as this was only a test, I don't like to use 10.5 on less than 1Ghz.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Ursus1968

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2021
Stockholm, Sweden
Mounting the dmg image was the trick that made it work for me, just successfully installed Sorbet on my iMac G4/20" with 1,25GB RAM / 80GB HDD.

I booted to OS X Tiger (10.4.11), and extracted the Sorbet_Leopard_R14.zip to get the .dmg file.

On my first try, I followed the instructions and did not mount the image, but rather just dragged the dmg file it to the "Source" box in Disk Utility when doing the restore. It went through the whole, and quite lengthy, restoration process, without any errors to indicate that anything was wrong. But when I tried to boot to the newly restored Sorbet partition, I got straight in an Open Firmware message about illegal memory something something.

So I instead I mounted the .dmg, and then dragged the mounted partition into the source box and went through the restoration process again, and this time it worked.

Attachments

• 20211223_124527547_iOS.jpg
    20211223_124527547_iOS.jpg
    959.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
@z970 I noticed something else. When I run the utility script to kill the shadow effect it works. But when I restart the shadows are back. I have to run the script each time. Is that normal?

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I installed the patch for the ATI 128 someone posted earlier in the thread and that solved my DVD issue.
Not with me, it ruined my graphics. My response was to format and use Carbon Copy Cloner to put Leopard back. All is well now, apart from the DVD drive, which I think may be a connection problem inside. It's now working intermittently after a blow through with an air blast, but I'm not that bothered as that slot usually holds an additional battery.
If I need a DVD I have a firewire one to use.

Hugh

Reactions: ww2_1943

minWi

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2021
Anyone has tried to use it on an iBook G4 with a 30Gb HDD? I would like to use it and remove the other OSX installation (Tiger currently) but not sure how to do it because the HDD is so small.. I cannot create a 20 Gb partition because the OS + sorbet leopard DMG makes the remaining space less than 20 Gb ?
Can the restore be done via USB somehow?
Thanks

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Dronecatcher Conversely, I've found that the danger of using an older user agent is that most websites will tell you that your browser is unsupported and then arbitrarily withhold the content from viewing. As time progresses and the Web continues to get heavier to the point that even a G5 begins having real trouble, we'll explore updating WebKit to present a mobile user agent by default instead. Being that these machines were much more capable online only last year however, that time may turn out to be sooner rather than later.

@ww2_1943 That is normal behavior. If you wish to make its activation permanent, I suggest adding the script to the user's login items to run automatically upon each login.

@Hughmac Could you please elaborate how installing the 10.5 Rage drivers onto Sorbet ruined your Pismo's graphics?

@minWi Sorbet Leopard will boot with a 10 GB partition at the absolute minimum; 20 GB was only used as the standard to account for optimal page file performance. Simply create at least a 10 GB partition (you may have to boot into a 10.5 install disk for live partitioning), restore the DMG to there, and then once booted into Sorbet, use Disk Utility to expand the partition further if at all possible.

Reactions: minWi and ww2_1943

yeetmaster426

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2021
so i have a problem i have a 38gb hard drive that has 2 partitions 1 the first one is the original leopard install it has 3 gb on that (15 gb before i installed leopard) one the second partition is 23 gb that is for sorbet leopard. the first problem i encountered was when i downloaded the zip file and tried to extract the dmg it wouldnt extract but i fixed it by downloading a zip extractor from macintosh garden (7-zip) and by the way i had to put the dmg on a flash drive because i dont have enough space on my first partition anyway when i tried to scan it for restore it gave me the error "unable to scan image (invalid argument)" i dont know what else to do...

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
@Dronecatcher Conversely, I've found that the danger of using an older user agent is that most websites will tell you that your browser is unsupported and then arbitrarily withhold the content from viewing. As time progresses and the Web continues to get heavier to the point that even a G5 begins having real trouble, we'll explore updating WebKit to present a mobile user agent by default instead. Being that these machines were much more capable online only last year however, that time may turn out to be sooner rather than later.

Absolutely - catch 22.
Unfortunately, this has been the case with PPC for some years - one browser isn't enough to navigate the web completely, you need a clutch of them and with various tools and tricks.
This is why you can't really deliver a one size fits all browser in a disk image aimed at novices at this stage of PPC's fading ability and not expect some user frustration.

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Absolutely - catch 22.
Unfortunately, this has been the case with PPC for some years - one browser isn't enough to navigate the web completely, you need a clutch of them and with various tools and tricks.
This is why you can't really deliver a one size fits all browser in a disk image aimed at novices at this stage of PPC's fading ability and not expect some user frustration.

I’d say I’m a novice user and Sorbet is a great stepping off point for me. It’s made me go out and learn how to do more. I’ll never be on a level of being able to do my own coding, but I have been learning little by little what I need to, to keep things going.

I do ask a lot of questions and I try to be cognizant of that as I don’t want to be perceived as annoying.

I can’t thank @z970 enough for the work put into this and the willingness to help a noob out.

Last edited:

minWi

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2021
Anyone has tried to use it on an iBook G4 with a 30Gb HDD? I would like to use it and remove the other OSX installation (Tiger currently) but not sure how to do it because the HDD is so small.. I cannot create a 20 Gb partition because the OS + sorbet leopard DMG makes the remaining space less than 20 Gb ?
Can the restore be done via USB somehow?
Thanks
I ended up copying the DMG file in a USB drive, booting the leopard installation DVD and restoring the DMG using the installation disk manager app. So far so good!
A couple of questions:
* Can the username be changed? The default one is 'mac' but I would like to use my own one (maybe with a custom script?)
* Are there any performance penalties by using the high Sierra look?
Thanks!

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@ww2_1943 As of now, the only reason I'm here is to serve. I'm glad to hear that my project has made a positive difference in your life, if at least only a minuscule one in the grand scheme of things.

@minWi You may create an additional user account using any name of your choice, and then delete the default 'Mac' account promptly after. If memory serves, this should not affect any of the preferences or optimizations built into Sorbet Leopard by default.

The system theme itself shouldn't present any noticeable difference between it and the other Mountain Lion or Snow Leopard themes. The only performance penalty to my knowledge is in using the bundled High Sierra wallpapers, and since they're all a naturally higher resolution than the others, they therefore consume more real estate on the GPU's VRAM banks whenever displayed.

So if the system had an especially finite amount of VRAM to work with, from a performance perspective, it would be more desirable to either use solid colors exclusively, or to only use the optional Mountain Lion / default Snow Leopard themes, which the wallpapers of are all successively lower in resolution in comparison to the High Sierra collection bundled alongside LeopardRebirth (the base High Sierra system theme).

I hope that was helpful.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
The only performance penalty to my knowledge is in using the bundled High Sierra wallpapers, and since they're all a naturally higher resolution than the others, they therefore consume more real estate on the GPU's VRAM banks whenever displayed.
One cumbersome way to “fix” that would be to manually shrink the wallpapers to the native resolution of the display, reducing their file size.

minWi

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2021
@ww2_1943 As of now, the only reason I'm here is to serve. I'm glad to hear that my project has made a positive difference in your life, if at least only a minuscule one in the grand scheme of things.

@minWi You may create an additional user account using any name of your choice, and then delete the default 'Mac' account promptly after. If memory serves, this should not affect any of the preferences or optimizations built into Sorbet Leopard by default.

The system theme itself shouldn't present any noticeable difference between it and the other Mountain Lion or Snow Leopard themes. The only performance penalty to my knowledge is in using the bundled High Sierra wallpapers, and since they're all a naturally higher resolution than the others, they therefore consume more real estate on the GPU's VRAM banks whenever displayed.

So if the system had an especially finite amount of VRAM to work with, from a performance perspective, it would be more desirable to either use solid colors exclusively, or to only use the optional Mountain Lion / default Snow Leopard themes, which the wallpapers of are all successively lower in resolution in comparison to the High Sierra collection bundled alongside LeopardRebirth (the base High Sierra system theme).

I hope that was helpful.
Thanks. That did the trick. The only thing missing from the old user are the ~/Desktop/* pdfs/rtfs included in Sorbet Leopard (but I did copied them so no real issue)

Thank you @z970 for giving our ppc Macs another life :)

Reactions: ww2_1943

Angelgreat

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2021
As my 800Mhz iMac demonstrated, decoding the video is not the problem - it's the script laden wrapper of the Youtube page that makes it difficult.

The danger of using WebKit with a current user agent and updated certificates is that it then gets served a modern web page designed for machines ten times more powerful.

Plus, of course inline ads that even a modified hosts file can't always prevent.

I'll also add, on my iMac, waking from sleep brings on a kernel panic in both Sorbet and Leopard - not a problem as this was only a test, I don't like to use 10.5 on less than 1Ghz.
@Dronecatcher If you need to run YouTube on your PPC Mac without any issues, TenFourFox and InterWebPPC also includes the user agent for Clasilla to allow the Mobile version of YouTube to run on PowerPC macs.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
@Dronecatcher If you need to run YouTube on your PPC Mac without any issues, TenFourFox and InterWebPPC also includes the user agent for Clasilla to allow the Mobile version of YouTube to run on PowerPC macs.
Yes, they're fine above a certain CPU threshold and useless below.

Check my other posts - I've been fine tuning the PPC/Youtube relationship for years :)

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Too good not to share! I got my AirPods (or should I say a single pod) working on my Pismo running Sorbet Leopard! I’m using a Bluetooth PC Card.

I wish the Pismo had a dual CardBus slot. Then I could surf the net and listen to music wirelessly!

Attachments

• 4D98280D-A977-4BFD-ADA5-E38A7109B8FC.jpeg
    4D98280D-A977-4BFD-ADA5-E38A7109B8FC.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 64

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
What can I do with iOS device communication enabled? What iOS devices/versions are compatible?

Attachments

• E7FD8BEE-5569-4EDD-A026-5329EA8313B3.jpeg
    E7FD8BEE-5569-4EDD-A026-5329EA8313B3.jpeg
    712.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 04DC7588-5F27-4AC1-A804-96B522028F79.jpeg
    04DC7588-5F27-4AC1-A804-96B522028F79.jpeg
    712.9 KB · Views: 71
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.