Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulianGray

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2018
Los Angeles
Cant be if 9 out of 10 people have no issue with it. It extracted and cloned fine for me as well. Downloaded from the garden.

View attachment 1937545
I think it's the garden download that's the issue, it almost has to be. Maybe it varies by ISP or region?

Every download i've tried from garden ends up corrupted, (as I mentioned I tried every computer I own on several different operating systems countless times), Just tried the mediafire mirror and it extracted to 10gb the first try.

Last edited:

JulianGray

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2018
Los Angeles
The extracted image size must be 10 GB, otherwise it's incomplete/corrupted. What's the md5sum output for the zip downloaded from the Garden and the Rep, respectively? Is the checksum alright?

As for the restore in Disk Utility, once you have successfully extracted the image, try double-clicking it to mount and then dragging the mounted volume to the "Source:" field.
Not sure how to check the md5sum, but Just tried from the mediafire link and I finally managed to get it to extract to 10gb via a Modern Mac & unarchiver.

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 3.36.57 PM.png

Now running into other issues of the extracted version from my Big Sur mac & modern unarchiver not restoring to the G4 machines partition, giving me this error.

Picture 1.png

Could it be the drive formatting i'm using to transfer it over/the server the dmg image is living on? Tried extracting the zip on my server from the G4 itself and it ends in an endless loop on unarchiver that looks like this. (Not enough disk space to store and extract locally, so I have to use a server to host the zip file/extracted image)

Picture 2.png

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Tomorrow (it's midnight here now and bed time), I will download from the garden on my iMac G5 and try a restore to a vacant partition on the HDD.

Cheers :)

Hugh

• Love
Reactions: JulianGray

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I downloaded it just over a week ago on Intel Mac, moved it to my Powerbook via USB dongle and restored it to my G4 iMac which was in Firewire target mode with CCC - no issues at all.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
@ww2_1943 I'm not clear on 10.5's native Bluetooth support, due to a combination of there being a lack of resources online, in addition to the fact that I don't personally use Bluetooth anywhere and therefore lack the experience to offer a legitimate perspective on the matter. With that being said though, comparing the dates of the standards released, I estimate that Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (2007) is most likely the final version compatible with Leopard, with the best case scenario potentially being Bluetooth 3.0 + HS (2009) - and that's optimistic.

To the best of my knowledge however, the Magic Mouse 2 is not compatible with any version of 10.5.

I hope that was helpful.
So, Magic Mouse 2 is now compatible ?

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Sorry it took so long, but the download from the garden took 5 hours.

I downloaded Sorbet R14 onto my iMac G5 and expanded the zip, then (without mounting it) restored the .dmg in Disk Utility to a 16gb partition on an external firewire drive that was pre-formatted APM, HFS+.

The default Sorbet install then booted fine, no problems.

Hugh

JulianGray

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2018
Los Angeles
I downloaded Sorbet R14 onto my iMac G5 and expanded the zip, then (without mounting it) restored the .dmg in Disk Utility to a 16gb partition on an external firewire drive that was pre-formatted APM, HFS+.
What Extraction method did you use, and did you have the image on your boot drive? I downloaded via media fire, unzipped via the built in apple archive utility (10.36gb) , and i'm getting this now upon restore.

Picture 2.png

When I try with 'erase destination' enabled, it wont even initiate the copy of files, and I cant figure out how to do it when mounted. It wont let me add the mounted DMG as the source in Disk utility.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Using what tool?
The default Apple archive utility in Leopard (well, it was Sorbet Leopard but no difference in that way), just double clicked on the zip file.
What Extraction method did you use, and did you have the image on your boot drive? I downloaded via media fire, unzipped via the built in apple archive utility (10.36gb) , and i'm getting this now upon restore.

View attachment 1937798
When I try with 'erase destination' enabled, it wont even initiate the copy of files, and I cant figure out how to do it when mounted. It wont let me add the mounted DMG as the source in Disk utility.
I re-downloaded a fresh copy from Mac Garden to the desktop, double clicked it to expand, and did not mount the resulting dmg.
Then I selected the dmg file as source by browsing for it, and because I had already formatted the destination on my firewire drive, did not need to select 'erase'.

On my original installation of Sorbet to the iMac (which I am currently using as main OS) I used the same method from Leopard and restored to a pre-prepared 200GB partition on the internal hard drive.

Hugh

Exactly the same method I had used before, in fact I did the same through Tiger on my G4 Pismo.

JulianGray

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2018
Los Angeles
The default Apple archive utility in Leopard (well, it was Sorbet Leopard but no difference in that way), just double clicked on the zip file.

I re-downloaded a fresh copy from Mac Garden to the desktop, double clicked it to expand, and did not mount the resulting dmg.
Then I selected the dmg file as source by browsing for it, and because I had already formatted the destination on my firewire drive, did not need to select 'erase'.

On my original installation of Sorbet to the iMac (which I am currently using as main OS) I used the same method from Leopard and restored to a pre-prepared 200GB partition on the internal hard drive.

Hugh

Exactly the same method I had used before, in fact I did the same through Tiger on my G4 Pismo.
interesting, I followed very similar steps in my previous post and came up on that Restore failure error.

may I ask what the exact size of the extracted DMG is?

ww2_1943

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2021
North NJ
Hi all,

I noticed that that Apple included trim support in later versions of Snow Leopard and there were several third party trim enablers that were made for SL as well. Is there a way to make a trim enabler work with Leopard? I’m just curious considering many of us have upgraded to SSDs in our old machines.

alexra1205

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2020
If it's the 12" model it has a CI capable GPU and yes, either the 12" or 14" will comfortably play 480P with MPlayer, FFPlay and VLC. 720P is best left to Coreplayer.

Sorbet won't magically be able to do stuff Leopard can't but it does have some convenient hacks included and extra themes etc.
Ah, right! Seems like I didn't look that well then. Thank you!

So, I finally got the iBook. I played around for a bit, and wow, this hard drive is slow. And even a bit noisy, but I'd say comes on the expected when using a 2005 laptop. Also, when I tried copying an application to an USB drive it seemed to go extremely slow... to the point it didn't progress anymore. I just ended up not copying. I wonder if I should be aware of a potentially dying HDD, but I need to do more tests.

After that, I spent hours trying to get Sorbet on here. The original idea was to do everything from the laptop: decompressing, partitioning and then restoring to that partition and deleting the old one. But the HDD just refused to resize and complaining about no space. After considering my posibilities, I ended up restoring the image to a USB drive using CCC (Disk Utility didn't like the image) on another Mac.
Then some fiddling trying different commands to boot from USB and... Finally got it!
1641167020609.png

(yes, it also has a working battery!)
It took a very loooong time to boot from the USB thumb drive. I even thought it had frozen, but at second try it did indeed boot.
I guess all these slowness comes from booting from USB, which also gets carried to other apps. For references, Webkit took 26 seconds to open.

And then, it's when I realized there was something wrong with this laptop. Where's the Wifi? And yet I have Bluetooth? I can't remember if I checked this before booting Sorbet. Maybe something screwed up with Sorbet (very likely not the case), or something else is going on.
Is this normal? What can I do if it's not?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
And then, it's when I realized there was something wrong with this laptop. Where's the Wifi? And yet I have Bluetooth? I can't remember if I checked this before booting Sorbet. Maybe something screwed up with Sorbet (very likely not the case), or something else is going on.
Is this normal? What can I do if it's not?

Your model was plagued with failing Airport card connectors - I had the same one and it would crash the whole system, solution was to remove the card and delete all Airport kexts so it couldn't even try to initialise the hardware.
For wifi I bought a cheap wireless usb dongle.

When I had a similar problem copying files from USB (on my G3 iMac) the HDD died within hours - not saying you have the same issue but it's a possibility.

alexra1205

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2020
Your model was plagued with failing Airport card connectors - I had the same one and it would crash the whole system, solution was to remove the card and delete all Airport kexts so it couldn't even try to initialise the hardware.
For wifi I bought a cheap wireless usb dongle.

When I had a similar problem copying files from USB (on my G3 iMac) the HDD died within hours - not saying you have the same issue but it's a possibility.
Ah, I see then. Yeah, I just talked with the previous owner and he never used Wifi at all here. So definitely an issue from before.
About the hard drive, it seems like today works better than yesterday with the file copy, or that's what it seemed to me. I just need to be a bit more patient.
Well, today I finally installed it on the hard drive, restoring the image on the USB drive. Used Disk Utility on Leopard's installer for that and no problems.
Then added a USB wireless dongle that I have right at hand (I use it daily with my desktop, and there are drivers for it for Tiger and Leopard) and... here it is!
1641222197028.jpeg

I still have to execute the tuneup script, but for now I need to spend my time on other things.
Also this Wifi solution won't be what I'll use, I have a better plan for it ;)

Lastly I wanted to take this chance to say thanks to everyone on the community for making such a great work on these old machines. It really amazes me and I hope I can collaborate in a near future too!

Reactions: Dronecatcher

ragnarok0273

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Essentially, the only kexts that were removed were those responsible for controlling the built-in modem
Just to make sure I'm reading this correctly, modems won't work under Sorbet Leopard?
Is there a way to add this back manually? This may make people laugh, but I use dial-up on my iMac G5 sometimes. It's an ALS 17" 2 GHz model.
It sadly broke about a year ago before Sorbet Leopard was out, but once I fix it up I do plan to use Sorbet.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@ragnarok0273 That is correct, dial-up modems are unsupported by Sorbet due to their inclusion consuming too much idle memory bandwidth, as well as because around 98% of users tend to use the much faster Airport or Ethernet interfaces instead.

However, functionality may be restored manually by replacing the following kernel extensions (.kext bundles) in /System/Library/Extensions with copies from a standard install of 10.5.8.

As per the compiled changelog:

AppleSM56KUSBAudioFamily.kext
AppleI2SModemFamily.kext
SM56KUSBModemFamily.kext
AppleI2SModemFamily.kext
AppleVerizonSupport.kext
AppleVerizonSupportkicker.kext
InternalModemSupport.kext
InternalUSBModem.kext
MotorolaSM56K.kext
MotorolaSM56KUSB.kext

Unfortunately, I've forgotten which extensions go where, as some of them live in the Extensions directory as-is, while others are embedded into other extension bundles (such as IOSerialFamily.kext). Therefore, my best advice is to refer to 10.5.8's kext configuration and replicate that where applicable as well as you can. For this, System Profiler's Extensions subcategory should come in handy.

... Alternatively, you may also attempt replacing the entire Extensions directory with a new one from 10.5.8, although there is a minor chance that this could render your install inoperable - I haven't tried it.

Anyway, don't forget to empty the kext cache (/System/Library/Extensions/Caches, /System/Library/Caches) before rebooting in order to prompt the system to rebuild the kernel extension database upon initialization. And you may want to repair the disk permissions before doing so, just to be safe.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.