Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pixitha

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2021
Has anyone noticed that the firewall seems to not work the way it should in Sorbet?

The default install the firewall is set to allow all, so I set it to allow only the approved applications, then enabled remote SSH and remote VNC, both appear in the approved list. However when I try to connect I see in the firewall log that both connections are denied?

en_voyage

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2022
My mileage with Sorbet Leopard so far: when running, it runs smooth on my Mac Mini G4 1,5 GHz (with 1 GB RAM). Interweb also runs smoothly after using TenfourfoxPrep. AquaWeb Micro requires TenFourFox, so I'll test that later.

One thing though: the Mac Mini comes with Airport and Bluetooth functionaly out of the box. However, my Apple Wireless Mouse and Keyboard become somewhat irresponsive when waking the system from sleep. The keyboard does not work at all, and the mouse gets the pointer to move, but it does not respond to clicks. This only occurs after waking up, since after a clean boot the mouse and keyboard work well. Driver issue? Or do I overlook a setting? This behaviour does not occur after booting from my regular 10.5.8 Leopard partition, only with the Sorbet Leopard partition.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@pixitha Have you verified that this behavior is not present in 10.5.8?

@en_voyage Did you run the tuneup script after first installing the system? Failing that, I would double-check your preferences just to be safe, as nothing in Sorbet was modified that could have resulted in this quirk.

en_voyage

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2022
@z970: Yes, I did run the tune-up script first upon installation. I worked around the issue by just making sure the system does not fall into sleep anymore. Screensaver is OK, but just no sleep is the remedy for now! ? By the way, I also have a G5 Powermac and Sorbet is working really well on that machine. Though the frequent short humming of the G5 is making me a bit nervous, if feels like it's about to bite me. It is machine issue, nothing to do with Sorbet.

Ursus1968

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2021
Stockholm, Sweden
Mounting the dmg image was the trick that made it work for me, just successfully installed Sorbet on my iMac G4/20" with 1,25GB RAM / 80GB HDD.

I booted to OS X Tiger (10.4.11), and extracted the Sorbet_Leopard_R14.zip to get the .dmg file.

On my first try, I followed the instructions and did not mount the image, but rather just dragged the dmg file it to the "Source" box in Disk Utility when doing the restore. It went through the whole, and quite lengthy, restoration process, without any errors to indicate that anything was wrong. But when I tried to boot to the newly restored Sorbet partition, I got straight in an Open Firmware message about illegal memory somthing somthing.

So I instead I mounted the .dmg, and then dragged the mounted partition into the source box and went through the restoration process again, and this time it worked.
When I installed Sorbet Leopard on my iMac G4 17"/1.0GHz the other day, it however worked just fine doing the install without mounting the image.

__Square__

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2022
Is it just me or is the download not working? I am returning to this after a while of trying and was wondering if anyone can clarify some things, im trying to use a kingston ssd. Its pretty old and slow compared to most ssd's but still sata 3 and have had trouble getting my powermac G5 to see it after restoring Sorbert Leopard. I am probably dumb and missed something obvious but I was wondering if this SSD will even work. Im aware SSD's are hit or miss regarding TRIM and the fact that they are Sata 3. Thanks to anyone who is willing to help.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Its pretty old and slow compared to most ssd's but still sata 3 and have had trouble getting my powermac G5 to see it after restoring Sorbert Leopard.
Did the G5 see it before restoring the Sorbet Leopard image, or has the SSD never shown up? The SSD must reliably “step down” to SATA I speeds, and even if it does the G5 is picky about SSDs.

__Square__

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2022
Did the G5 see it before restoring the Sorbet Leopard image, or has the SSD never shown up? The SSD must reliably “step down” to SATA I speeds, and even if it does the G5 is picky about SSDs.
The G5 sees the drive and i can format it or partition it or whatever just fine which makes me even more confused lol. What do you mean by "step down"?

aurora72

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Türkiye
(issue) The Mac Mini comes with Airport and Bluetooth functionaly out of the box. However, my Apple Wireless Mouse and Keyboard become somewhat irresponsive when waking the system from sleep. The keyboard does not work at all, and the mouse gets the pointer to move, but it does not respond to clicks. This only occurs after waking up...
It must be related to your particular setup. I've just tried sleep & wake up on my Mac mini G4 1.25 (modded to 1.5GHz) with Sorbet Leopard using the Apple Wireless Keyboard (A1314, model year 2009) and it worked perfectly. I even tried waking it up pressing the fn key on the keyboard and it woke up and no problems with the keyboard after waking up either. I don't use Wireless Mouse with this Mac mini.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
What do you mean by "step down"?
Your SSD is SATA III, but the G5 is SATA I. So the SSD has to negotiate, or step down to, SATA I speeds to work with the G5. Some SSDs don’t do this reliably in some systems, causing issues.

Last edited:

Angelgreat

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2021
Has anyone tried to create a install disk or a iso of Sorbet Leopard so we can install it like Leopard or Snow Leopard.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Has anyone tried to create a install disk or a iso of Sorbet Leopard so we can install it like Leopard or Snow Leopard.
That defeats the object of a ready made install.

If the disk restore is problematic, install Leopard as normal then spend half hour installing the speed ups, hosts file and Webkit manually....."just like we did in the olden days." :D

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
Runs great on my iBook, and these things were in some ways years out of date even at launch. For instance: Ultra ATA/100, in... 2005. Perfect for broke college kids... like me, I suppose. But yeah, it's surprisingly smooth with anything that isn't web browsing; it kinda feels like a laptop years younger than it. Buttery smooth on Finder.​

tgomola

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2021
I'm encountering a weird issue on my DP 2.3GHz PowerMac G5. I use a flashed GeForce 7800 GS.

When I boot into Sorbet Leopard, the screen starts to blink - it goes black, sometimes blue. This does not appear on Leopard or Tiger. When I boot into Sorbet in Safe Mode, the problem does not appear either and if I then reboot the computer into normal mode, Sorbet Leopard is stable. Also, the GPU itself appears to be fine as it handles gaming without any issues.

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this? (reinstalling Sorbet didn't help)

Reactions: reukiodo

Angelgreat

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2021
I'm encountering a weird issue on my DP 2.3GHz PowerMac G5. I use a flashed GeForce 7800 GS.

When I boot into Sorbet Leopard, the screen starts to blink - it goes black, sometimes blue. This does not appear on Leopard or Tiger. When I boot into Sorbet in Safe Mode, the problem does not appear either and if I then reboot the computer into normal mode, Sorbet Leopard is stable. Also, the GPU itself appears to be fine as it handles gaming without any issues.

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this? (reinstalling Sorbet didn't help)
Looks like there's a driver issue for it. The custom firmware for the 7800GS has custom drivers for OS9, 10.4, and 10.5. Maybe someone can update the driver to support Sorbet Leopard.

ltpitt

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2020
Sorbet Leopard is just awesome.
Deeply, deeply thanks.

I ran brew doctor and it suggested me to update quartz to 2.6.3
I am on eMac 1.25, do I risk breaking stuff with the update?

Thanks once again for this beauty.

Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@tgomola Due to its rarity, the GeForce 7800 GS was never tested on Sorbet during development. However, because it shares certain kexts with the 7800 GT (and presumably Quadro FX 4500), I'd be very interested to hear how it runs on those as well. It is technically possible, although unlikely, that it may indeed be a missing kext issue - which the evidenced behavior in safe mode appears to give credence to, unfortunately.

System Profiler's Extensions tab should shine more light on this, if 10.5.8 is compared to 10.5.9 on a machine equipped with one of those cards.

@ltpitt It should be fine.

Last edited:

en_voyage

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2022
It must be related to your particular setup. I've just tried sleep & wake up on my Mac mini G4 1.25 (modded to 1.5GHz) with Sorbet Leopard using the Apple Wireless Keyboard (A1314, model year 2009) and it worked perfectly. I even tried waking it up pressing the fn key on the keyboard and it woke up and no problems with the keyboard after waking up either. I don't use Wireless Mouse with this Mac mini.
It is all genuine Apple hardware I'm using with the Mac Mini G4 setup. So the wireless keyboard and mouse are original Apple products, as they came more or less ' out of the box' as part of a customization by Apple itself. Again, just preventing the Mini G4 falling asleep solves the issue.

Strange thing is that my Powermac G5 with el cheapo wireless keyboard from the local drugstore (called 'Kruidvat', which means something like 'gunpowder barrel' in Dutch' - yes they sell computer peripherals) and another el cheapo Hama wireless mouse works like a charm - no wake up issues. These accessories both came with their own dongles, as the G5 does not have a built-in Airport Extreme card. Because of this, the keyboard and mouse behave more like wired ones, hence no issues with Bluetooth. Anyway, Sorbet works like a breeze with 8 GB of RAM installed in the G5 2.0 DP (Powermac 7,3).

The only thing with the G5: the machine 'hums' occasionally, a bit like a car that throttles a bit while waiting for the red light to go green. Is this usual behaviour?

aurora72

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Türkiye
It is all genuine Apple hardware I'm using with the Mac Mini G4 setup. So the wireless keyboard and mouse are original Apple products, as they came more or less ' out of the box' as part of a customization by Apple itself. Again, just preventing the Mini G4 falling asleep solves the issue.

Strange thing is that my Powermac G5 with el cheapo wireless keyboard from the local drugstore (called 'Kruidvat', which means something like 'gunpowder barrel' in Dutch' - yes they sell computer peripherals) and another el cheapo Hama wireless mouse works like a charm - no wake up issues. These accessories both came with their own dongles, as the G5 does not have a built-in Airport Extreme card. Because of this, the keyboard and mouse behave more like wired ones, hence no issues with Bluetooth. Anyway, Sorbet works like a breeze with 8 GB of RAM installed in the G5 2.0 DP (Powermac 7,3).

The only thing with the G5: the machine 'hums' occasionally, a bit like a car that throttles a bit while waiting for the red light to go green. Is this usual behaviour?
The BT module inside the Mac mini G4 might be problematic. The BT module inside my Mac mini G4 is 2002 model, i.e. the most generic one it even works on OS 9 for Mac mini G4. The keyboard is 2009 model A1314 produced in May 2010, i.e. not the ones with the built-in battery. Using this setup, the Mac mini G4 wakes up from sleep in a heartbeat when I press a button on the keyboard while running Sorbet Leopard.

Wake up & connection are much straightforward when the USB-dongle keyboard & mouse are used becaus the connection is not made in the OS level. In case of bluetooth the connection is done in the OS level, making it way more likely to cause problems.

I'm impressed with the 8GB RAM on a PowerPC hardware. I do have 8GB RAM on my Late 2009 Mac mini. It's very useful.

Reactions: Amethyst1

PowerfulEra

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2017
Late 2005s can take 32 gigs aswell but the guy who tested it said memory controller and apps can't make use of it. If i recall correctly 06 mac pros were tested with 128 gigs of ram. Some guy in facebook if i recall correctly used 64 and tested 128 aswell? My memory is hazy on 128 gig doh. So based on that i think late 05s can take alot more? Who knows but would love to see it getting tested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.