Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ExclusiveMac

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2017
Japan
I want to install it on my G4 TI, as a clean install. What is the best way to do it? I don't have a firewire cable or other similar.

So the solution maybe is the USB pen drive, but now I can do it?

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
I tried searching this thread, but perhaps I'm overlooking the answer to my question: I'm in doubt between choosing Tiger or Sorbet Leopard for my Mac Mini G4 1.5.

Add 10.6 PPC to the list. The main advantage of Leopard, support of ppc64, is irrelevant for G4.

Doq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
I want to install it on my G4 TI, as a clean install. What is the best way to do it? I don't have a firewire cable or other similar.

So the solution maybe is the USB pen drive, but now I can do it?
You might be able to get away with imaging Sorbet to a second partition, deleting the original, and resizing Sorbet to fill the disk.

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2021
Not that I am overly surprised, but dmg remains broken as it were, and restore in DU fails (in fact, even scanning for restore fails).

Doq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
And how do I do this? As far I know there is no boot menu for sorbet
Boot into the original OS. Fire up Disk Utility. Click the + to split the partition. This might not work in Tiger. Make sure the second partition is at least 20 GB. Apply. Then mount the Sorbet image and restore the mount to the second patition.
Not that I am overly surprised, but dmg remains broken as it were, and restore in DU fails (in fact, even scanning for restore fails).
Try mounting it and restoring the mount.

Reactions: ExclusiveMac

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@barracuda156 The dmg is not broken, Disk Utility's restore function is.

As explicitly described in the Installation Guide (below the download center within Sorbet's page @ Macintosh Garden), if Disk Utility insists on being difficult, you must instead revert to an all-around more competent tool, like Carbon Copy Cloner.

From then on, I believe the embedded video in the first post (in the User Reviews section) goes more into detail as far as restoring an image from CCC, though I also recall that it was quite straightforward.

Reactions: lepidotós

sos_nz

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2022
@z970 - thanks so much for your work on Leopard Sorbet. I just installed in to a partition alongside Tiger 10.4.11 (I like to run a classic environment), and it's fantastic to have as an alternative to 10.4.11 in my Powermac G5 (A1177).

To partition the drive, I needed to spin up a Leopard install USB, since Tiger's disc utility can't partition drives without wiping the data.

Once that was done, it was a cinch to use 10.4.11 to restore the *mounted* dmg to the new partition.

Easy!

Reactions: z970

ExclusiveMac

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2017
Japan
Can we please find an alternative solution for this image? I wasted already 3h to find a solution to install it on my power book g4, I'm trying via USB, on big sur I'm trying to restore the image on USB and always receive an error, I really don't want to install OS X on my power book g4 and restore it on another partition, to much mess. Is there a way? I don't have a firewire cable and another G4 computer, so this solution is excluded.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Can we please find an alternative solution for this image? I wasted already 3h to find a solution to install it on my power book g4, I'm trying via USB, on big sur I'm trying to restore the image on USB and always receive an error, I really don't want to install OS X on my power book g4 and restore it on another partition, to much mess. Is there a way? I don't have a firewire cable and another G4 computer, so this solution is excluded.

Install standard Leopard and do all the tweaks manually afterwards - half a hour on top of the install.

ExclusiveMac

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2017
Japan
Yeah, but what is the point to install Leopard when Sorbet in 10x better than Leopard in every way. We can't find a proper way to install it without installing another OS and then restoring it, maybe I want only Sorbet.

Reactions: fra9000

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Yeah, but what is the point to install Leopard when Sorbet in 10x better than Leopard in every way. We can't find a proper way to install it without installing another OS and then restoring it, maybe I want only Sorbet.
Sorbet is Leopard with the tweaks pre-installed, it's a great time saver not a radical departure from Leopard.

Courtesy of this forum most of it's Leopard users have been enjoying the Sorbet improvements for about ten years.

If you manually tweak Leopard you'll get an even more efficient OS than Sorbet is as it can be adjusted to your exact needs and hardware.

Last edited:

Angelgreat

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2021
Although Sorbet Leopard is nice to use, I always worry that Apple could send a Cease and Desist order at any time, even though both 10.5 and 10.6 are obsolete. As long as they leave us alone, Sorbet Leopard will always become popular for PPC users.

Also, G3 version when?

Reactions: ExclusiveMac

ExclusiveMac

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2017
Japan
It will be nice if someone can manage somehow to create a DVD Single Layer ISO of Sorbet Leopard. Everything will be so much easier.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Although Sorbet Leopard is nice to use, I always worry that Apple could send a Cease and Desist order at any time, even though both 10.5 and 10.6 are obsolete. As long as they leave us alone, Sorbet Leopard will always become popular for PPC users.

Also, G3 version when?
Apple doesn’t give a s*** about us, PowerPC, or anything related to that past. So this isn’t an issue anymore.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Final Leopard doesn't run on G3s, which implies Sorbet doesn't either, and dare I say never will. :)
Have you not tried Sausage Leopard?

Sausage.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.