Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angelgreat

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2021
If there's a new version of Sorbet Leopard, how about continuing the numbering sequence like 10.5.10, 10.5.11, and so on to match Leopard?

digitaldrip

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
Is there any chance Sorbet Leopard will be Universal Binary in the future? I have a few Leopard Intel machines that I use extensively…
@Macbookprodude Since Big Sur and up changed the appearance of the system elements in general, it would be very difficult to create a theme translating those differences to Leopard. Although the High Sierra theme does come with the Catalina and Mojave wallpapers, since 10.15 and 10.14 at that point still used the macOS UI introduced in 10.10.

@PowerBookG4Enjoyer LeopardRebirth Remover was specifically designed for standard Leopard. It would replace certain components that have been performance-optimized in 10.5.9 with their more bloated 10.5.8 equivalents, which is why I said that there was no method to undo the theme for Sorbet Leopard.
Is there any chance Sorbet Leopard will be Universal Binary in the future? I have a few Leopard Intel machines that I use extensively…

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Angelgreat If there is a new version, it will follow the 'Revision 1.x' numbering scheme that has been used up to now. Going forward, the object will be to revise 10.5.9, not 10.5 as a whole.

@digitaldrip May I ask what advantage there is in running 10.5 instead of 10.6 on Intel machines? Had Apple simply continued and completed development of 10.6 for the PowerPC architecture, Sorbet Leopard would likely not exist, so I'm curious why Intel users want a version of Sorbet when they could just install 10.6 instead.

Reactions: lepidotós

Angelgreat

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2021
@Angelgreat If there is a new version, it will follow the 'Revision 1.x' numbering scheme that has been used up to now. Going forward, the object will be to revise 10.5.9, not 10.5 as a whole.

@digitaldrip May I ask what advantage there is in running 10.5 instead of 10.6 on Intel machines? Had Apple simply continued and completed development of 10.6 for the PowerPC architecture, Sorbet Leopard would likely not exist, so I'm curious why Intel users want a version of Sorbet when they could just install 10.6 instead.
@z970
1. That post was from 2 weeks ago.
2. Why follow the 'Revision 1.x' numbering scheme? Unless its something like 10.5.9.x or something, I think going with the 10.5.x sceme would be OK since there would be 91 more numbers to go (100-9=91) and it would match Leopard's numbering sceme. If there's a major revision of Sorbet Leopard every 6 months, we could do the 10.5.x thing for about 45 years. If we're year, than up to 90 years.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
No shot. Sorbet Leopard was designed specifically with PowerPC in mind. See #146.

I think Intel has enough, thank you. There is so much I hate about that chip and company it makes me sick. PowerPC, I don't care what anyone says, kicks intel's a** ! I hope M1, M2, and whatever comes after kicks it to oblivion.

• Wow
Reactions: Blaine

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
In defense of z970 - PowerPC needs this more than any Intel machine out there, if Intel mac users want better OS X, then goto Big Sur and other derivatives, I love Sorbet Leopard - it makes my PowerPC machines feel new again.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
While I like also MorphOS, I think those folks are more into Amiga survival, than ours. I am not sure how its possible Amiga is still around given its 80's archaic nature.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Right, but explain to me how come AmigaOS version 4 has stable web browsers and is constantly updated, where we are losing a lot of things, like LWK once was able to access most of the web, and now maybe less than 500,000 sites it is capable of while Amiga's OS is going strong, and they use PowerPC too?

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I understand.. but how come they are so successful and we aren't ? Why won't Amiga just join PowerPC Macs to offer to us something we can grow with ? If it means to migrate away from OS X, so be it.. I believe it can still be a useful platform. No reason why we PowerPC mac users have to take this forced obsolescence.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
You can always use Linux or MorphOS if you don't mind moving away from OS X.​
Or BSD.

Why won't Amiga just join PowerPC Macs to offer to us something we can grow with ?
A version of AmigaOS 4 that runs properly on PPC Macs, even just a few selected models, would be cool. Yes, there's a way to boot AmigaOS 4 on a Mac mini G4 but it's barely functional. And I don't care for their basically unobtainable, hyped and overpriced "zOMG it's teh next-gen Amiga!!!111oneoneeleven" hardware, probably because I have no clue about the Amiga ;)

Last edited:

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
Or BSD, yes, I forgot about that. My only experience with BSD is OpenBSD not liking my CF card, and I know it was with OpenBSD because Void hums right along.
Free/NetBSD might be better. I would like to try them both...
There's also Haiku, but that's not really in a functional state, at least not yet... it absolutely screams even on hardware without any driver support like my Inspiron 2200 though. Maybe possibly ReactOS too.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Doq and Amethyst1

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Or BSD.

A version of AmigaOS 4 that runs properly on PPC Macs, even just a few selected models, would be cool. Yes, there's a way to boot AmigaOS 4 on a Mac mini G4 but it's barely functional. And I don't care for their basically unobtainable, hyped and overpriced "zOMG it's teh next-gen Amiga!!!111oneoneeleven" hardware, probably because I have no clue about the Amiga ;)

Neither do I.. I used to have a TI-99/4A during those times and it still beat the Amiga.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
BeOS(pro: bay-OS) was nice, but too bad the owner sold out to Apple. Gasselle would be rich today if he didn't give in to Apple. BayOS was a really nice OS.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
BeOS(pro: bay-OS) was nice, but too bad the owner sold out to Apple. Gasselle would be rich today if he didn't give in to Apple. BayOS was a really nice OS.
BeOS was haemorrhaging money. People only really used the free version R5.0. It went through two architecture changes (ATT Hobbit and PPC) before settling primarily on Intel. Gassée didn't give into Apple, Apple walked away because the price was too high. Gassée sold out to Palm in the end because he needed to make a return on his investment/cut his losses and ended up with much less than had he sold to Apple.

Even the YellowTab spin off never really took off outside of Germany before Palm got it shut down.

It was a very nice system. Ahead of its time in many ways but it did have some inbuilt problems that would have needed addressing. This was partly why Apple decided on NeXT instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.