Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InAWhiteRoom

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2021
Agreed, Sorbet has replaced my normal Leopard install, as all the enhancement work has already been done for me.

Cheers :)

Hugh
Completely agree - wrapping up known enhancements in a neat little bow has taken a lot of the legwork out of optimising these systems. Hyperbole aside, sorbet’s helped me to enjoy (and actually use productively) PowerBooks decades after I first owned own.

Keith Bress

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2020
I love Sorbet Leopard, the theme picker is especially cool.

Is there any chance you'd consider adding a Tiger theme? I like the additional functionality of Sorbet Leopard but I think the aesthetics of Tiger really mesh better with a lot of G4 Macs.

Reactions: Vaccaria

Mercedes33

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2021
Germany
Looks really cool. So Its like Steam for ppc. Are There all Games ? Ore Like only halo and minecraft like i saw in the pictures?

shakary

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2020
Unfortunately, the sorbet leopard garden dmg seems defective. There is an alternative from which to download a reliable dmg or iso. Thank you all.

DrJosh9000

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2022
Just here to report a successful install of Sorbet on my PowerBook G4.

What worked:
  • Boot the PowerBook into Target Disk Mode
  • Attach FireWire cable to a machine running Monterey via several adapters
  • Use Disk Utility to reformat the PowerBook's hard disk (Journaled HFS, Apple Partition map)
  • Unzip the ZIP with Keka and then manually mount the Sorbet Leopard DMG
  • Finally, use Disk Utility to restore the mounted DMG onto the PowerBook's hard disk

What didn't work:
  • Unzipping with the macOS inbuilt utility. It stops without error but the output was too small (1.7 GB). Yes, the ZIP file has the correct MD5 checksum.
  • Using Disk Utility from a Mac OS 10.4 install disk to do anything related to restoring the image onto the hard disk. Without "Erase" and with "Skip checksum" options it got the furthest, but still failed about 1/8th of the way through with a "file not found" error.
  • Restoring the DMG directly. Classic "invalid argument" error when verifying source.
  • Using dd to copy the contents of the DMG to the target. Doesn't do the right thing.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Sorbet Leopard Development - Feature Showcase #8 (Grand Finale 2/3)

Revision 1.5

Picture 1.png

Picture 4.png

Picture 5.png

Picture 8.png

SolR15v2.png

Revision 1.5 will introduce the following new features -

o The Sorbet App Store

o 16 new desktop backgrounds

o 8 new screen savers

o 4 new graphics demos

o Built-in RAM disk creation scripts (up to 1.75 GB)

o Full emoji support system-wide (Unicode 13.1) *1 ? ?

o More utility scripts

o Numerous bug fixes

o Extensive polish and further overall refinement

o A much more faithful user experience to Mac OS X 10.6.8 than ever before

o Automated 10.5.8 to 10.5.9 upgrade tool *2

Sorbet Leopard Revision 1.5 will be released on May 1, 2022.

*1 Emojis are displayed in monochrome only.

*2 As of April 20, 2022, the 10.5.9 upgrade tool has been cancelled due to time constraints.

Last edited:

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Just installed sorbet on my PB G4 12, that even maxed out and os tweaked seemed slow.
Gotta say I am super impressed with sorbet !
I find fast!! Guess the PowerPC challenge will not be the same with this "distro", much easier!!
Thank you a lot

Edit:I can't seem to connect google earth, I recall it working. Any config that may be blocking its acess to internet? I already disabled the adblocking but still no go.

Last edited:
Reactions: lepidotós

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
I can't contribute anything code-wise, but here's some artwork and custom icons I made and/or gathered up. Some of the system icons I've been using for years, that may have been made or modified from other sources, so I don't make any claims to all of them, but most of the icons are mine, and wallpapers and logo art are original. Feel free to use them for whatever you want.

Thanks for this great project!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 10.14.48 p.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 10.14.48 p.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 392
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 10.19.19 p.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 10.19.19 p.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 242
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 9.04.25 a.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 9.04.25 a.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 181
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 9.10.21 a.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 9.10.21 a.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 212

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@skinniezinho For me, WebKit in 10.5.9 has no trouble connecting to the Google Earth website using the default settings. I suggest rechecking your connection on other devices.

@Edgecrusherr From what is displayed in your attached photos, many of these icons appear to have an impressively high production value - aligning in standards with the rest of the OS itself. Unfortunately however, I am unable to access your Google Drive links without logging in to Google. Perhaps there is a switch you could pull to make them publicly-accessible?

That said, I'm interested in using a variation of one of your SorbetLeopardDisc icons to feature in the official Upgrade Tool once it releases. If I give you some guidelines for a design revision, as well as the PSD files used in the project's promotional pictures (such as the ones in FS #8 above), could you make several more that adhere to those guidelines?

If we see eye-to-eye and one of those revised icons ends up as the Upgrade Tool's background graphic and installer icon, you will be credited in full and a link to your website or other space will be provided to the public. Would this be a doable request for you?

Reactions: fra9000

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
@skinniezinho For me, WebKit in 10.5.9 has no trouble connecting to the Google Earth website using the default settings. I suggest rechecking your connection on other devices.

@Edgecrusherr From what is displayed in your attached photos, many of these icons appear to have an impressively high production value - aligning in standards with the rest of the OS itself. Unfortunately however, I am unable to access your Google Drive links without logging in to Google. Perhaps there is a switch you could pull to make them publicly-accessible?

That said, I'm interested in using a variation of one of your SorbetLeopardDisc icons to feature in the official Upgrade Tool once it releases. If I give you some guidelines for a design revision, as well as the PSD files used in the project's promotional pictures (such as the ones in FS #8 above), could you make several more that adhere to those guidelines?

If we see eye-to-eye and one of those revised icons ends up as the Upgrade Tool's background graphic and installer icon, you will be credited in full and a link to your website or other space will be provided to the public. Would this be a doable request for you?
I am talking about google earth app https://www.macintoshrepository.org/18051-google-earth-for-ppc-macs
I tested google earth on my 2014 intel imac and it works fine on same network.

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
o Automated 10.5.8 to 10.5.9 upgrade tool (via a Universal Binary installer) *2
Just so I know I‘ve read this right, is this a utility for upgrading a stock official Leopard install to Sorbet Leopard or is this something else? If it is, would this apply every single tweak and addon from Sorbet to an existing install?

Reactions: Project Alice

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006

Thank you for your kind words, and sorry about the Google Drive links. It's been a while since I've used Google Drive, I believe I have fixed them now. I also added an additional screenshot showing the rest of the icons.

I have a CandyBar icon container included, in addition to the bare icon themselves.

Personally, I've experimented with different teams using Magnifique, because that's something I did back in the day. That'll be up to everyone's own personal taste, but I've managed to do some pretty cool stuff with it.

Reactions: fra9000 and Hughmac

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I'm finding one issue right away in that sleep doesn't work properly. I have Sorbet Leopard on a Mac Mini G4 sharing space with OS9 and Tiger. While these both function as expected, sleep on Sorbet L seems broken. Symptoms are that the screen dims and goes off but I can still hear the Mini's fan whirring away. Trying to wake the Mini seems to stir the hard drive into action. I get a screen active indicator light on the monitor but the panel stays black. The only way out is to force the Mini into shutdown and reboot. The same monitor works on OS9 or Tiger so it's a software issue.

Never had this on any other computer so not sure how to fix it. I have redownloaded/reinstalled Sorbet L in case there was a duff file somewhere but this hasn't fixed anything.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Sorbet Leopard Development - Feature Showcase #9 (Grand Finale 3/3)

To Infinity and Beyond

Sorbet.jpg

In the making for just as long as the original release, Sorbet Leopard Revision 1.5 has been thoroughly streamlined for the future, packing a brand new version of Safari, a brand new App Store, brand new desktop pictures, screen savers, utility scripts, and refinements, as well as a plethora of additional performance optimizations and user experience improvements as part of the more than 50 new modifications since Revision 1.4 -- making this release the biggest thing to happen to Sorbet since Sorbet.

So let's take a closer look ...

safari.png

Safari now possesses security fixes inline with October 2018 (concurrent with the release of Safari 12), resulting in better overall stability and a slightly lower average memory usage than before, plus out-of-the-box improvements in page rendering times, plus a refreshed collection of default bookmarks and top sites, plus a completely revamped page error screen.

app store.png

The Sorbet App Store boasts a selection of 96 unique apps in addition to 9 useful Web links, surpassing other stores in both utility and convenience. But not only will it come baked in with every fresh install of Mac OS X 10.5.9, the storefront will also be available for download as a separate Universal Binary for Mac OS X 10.5.8 users on both PowerPC and Intel, as well as users of Mac OS X 10.6.x Snow Leopard as an additional option to the now heavily dated Mac App Store.

scripts.png

Revision 1.5 debuts 21 new utility scripts, including switches to change Dock functionality, toggle Bonjour to increase overall performance, create RAM disks to temporarily store apps / app caches, run the BSD periodic maintenance scripts on demand, and empty various system caches. And not only that, gone are the days of manually running tune-up scripts after each fresh install; Sorbet Leopard now boots straight into Setup Assistant.

emoji.png

Furthermore, gone are the days of browsing through forums and message boards while seeing pages peppered with tiny rectangles, as well as exclusively relying on your phone to send people waves of funny faces and exotic icons. In this release, Unicode 13.1-compliant emoji characters are fully supported*1 and can now be both sent and displayed from commercially abandoned 20-year-old hardware capable of natively running nearly 30-year-old Classic Mac OS software.

sorbet.png

Finally, Revision 1.5 brings even more modifications and improvements to the overall user experience that all together make for an even closer end result to an authentic Snow Leopard environment running on PowerPC, like a default Dock configuration inline with 10.6.8, a Utilities folder configuration inline with 10.6.8, a Terminal configuration inline with 10.6.8, high performance network throughput inline with (if not surpassing) 10.6.8, and thanks to being a restorable disk image (that does not fail to restore anymore), a complete OS install time inline with 10.6.8, finishing in less than a mere 15 minutes on a Power Mac G5.

SolR15v2.png

In other words, it's your Power Mac -- unleashed.

Both Sorbet Leopard Revision 1.5 and the Sorbet App Store will be released on May 2nd, 2022.

(Get ready to fall in love all over again.)

*1 InterWebPPC is required to view full emoji library.

Last edited:

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
That's amazing! I hope yo don't give up on the 10.5.8 to 10.5.9 update scripts. I was planning to update all of my 10.5.8 PPC Macs to this, once the next release comes out. Now I'm hoping I can just use Migration Assistant to important my 10.5.8s to a fresh clone of 10.5.9.

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
@z970 I've enjoyed using Sorbet Leopard for quite a few months now on my iMac G5. I feel it is fast, solid, and visually very appealing, and I am looking forward very much to the new features added in v1.5.

I was just curious, a minor detail, but would it be at all possible to shrink the app store icon to match the sizes of the other icons before release please? When I look at it, it just seems to stick out a bit. Sorry for the unsolicited comment; in the end I am just so grateful for your work on this project, regardless the icon. Thanks

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Edgecrusherr The 10.5.8 to 10.5.9 Upgrade Tool was planned before the updates to R1.5's distribution disk image were made. Since then, its disk image was shrunken to nearly 1/3 the size of R1.4's, the endorsed installation method was heavily streamlined in both restoration times and process robustness, and several outstanding issues with the system were fixed, all of which decreased the need for the option of a 100% clean room install (not that the system image isn't incredibly clean in its own right, as all non-critical preferences, caches, temporary files, and user-specific databases are carefully combed and wiped before publishing - and last I checked, that's better than the Raspberry Pi Foundation can say for their pre-made OSes). So to discourage confusion, FS #8 was later updated to reflect its cancellation.

That said, I'll re-check my notes to make sure there isn't an easier way to replicate 10.5.9 on a 10.5.8 system instead of the preferable file-by-file method, but I don't think it's likely to resurface at this point in time.

I should note though that if someone were dedicated enough, a complete replica of 10.5.9 could probably be recreated using a fully-updated 10.5.8 base system and the 10.5.8 to 10.5.9 R1.5 Changelog alone, if each one of the ~75 individual and grouped changes were translated into an all-in-one shell script or installer of some type. And in fact, I might assemble a brief resource to assist that process, should someone ever take it on.

@tensixturtle Thank you for the kind words. As it happens, the App Store icon is a minor detail, it being a slightly larger size to subtly signify both its general 'newness' and importance in making the most efficient and effective use of the Sorbet Leopard package because - thanks to the strategic Web portal selection, it is essentially an all-in-one search engine, news aggregator, encyclopedia, and entertainment center, plus de facto application discovery tool. Counting the App Store, there are actually three ways to watch YouTube straight out-of-the-box.

I personally appreciate discovery and pleasant surprise however, so the end user is expected to do most of the exploring on their own.

Last edited:

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
@Edgecrusherr The 10.5.8 to 10.5.9 Upgrade Tool was planned before the updates to R1.5's distribution disk image were made. Since then, its disk image was shrunken to nearly 1/3 the size of R1.4's, the endorsed installation method was heavily streamlined in both restoration times and process robustness, and several outstanding issues with the system were fixed, all of which decreased the need for the option of a 100% clean room install (not that the system image isn't incredibly clean in its own right, as all non-critical preferences, caches, temporary files, and user-specific databases are carefully combed and wiped before publishing - and last I checked, that's better than the Raspberry Pi Foundation can say for their pre-made OSes). So to discourage confusion, FS #8 was later updated to reflect its cancellation.

That said, I'll re-check my notes to make sure there isn't an easier way to replicate 10.5.9 on a 10.5.8 system instead of the preferable file-by-file method, but I don't think it's likely to resurface at this point in time.

I should note though that if someone were dedicated enough, a complete replica of 10.5.9 could probably be recreated using a fully-updated 10.5.8 base system and the 10.5.8 to 10.5.9 R1.5 Changelog alone, if each one of the ~75 individual and grouped changes were translated into an all-in-one shell script or installer of some type. And in fact, I might assemble a brief resource to assist that process, should someone ever take it on.

@tensixturtle Thank you for the kind words. As it happens, the App Store icon is a minor detail, it being a slightly larger size to subtly signify both its general 'newness' and importance in making the most efficient and effective use of the Sorbet Leopard package because - thanks to the strategic Web portal selection, it is essentially an all-in-one search engine, news aggregator, encyclopedia, and entertainment center, plus de facto application discovery tool. Counting the App Store, there are actually three ways to watch YouTube straight out-of-the-box.

I personally appreciate discovery and pleasant surprise however, so the end user is expected to do most of the exploring on their own.
Thanks for the detailed explanation! Do you think I'd be able to do a fresh restore of the upcoming 10.5.9 release, then import a user + apps over from a 10.5.8 drive? I have 2 computers in particular that have years (I guess I could say "decades" at this point) worth of settings and software that would range from a minor pain to setup up again, to impossible to reactive some software (due to the company no longer existing).

Thanks again, you're the best!

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
@z970 I've enjoyed using Sorbet Leopard for quite a few months now on my iMac G5. I feel it is fast, solid, and visually very appealing, and I am looking forward very much to the new features added in v1.5.

I was just curious, a minor detail, but would it be at all possible to shrink the app store icon to match the sizes of the other icons before release please? When I look at it, it just seems to stick out a bit. Sorry for the unsolicited comment; in the end I am just so grateful for your work on this project, regardless the icon. Thanks
He's using the new rounded rectangle icon shape in macOS 11+, vs the older circle shape. Thankfully, this is still classic Mac OS X, so you can easily change the icon if you want. I'll probably make a rounded version once it's release and share it for anyone who wants it.

Reactions: tensixturtle

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Edgecrusherr Yes, provided Migration Assistant does not overwrite the pre-installed system apps or default user preferences (such as those for the Dock, Desktop, and loginwindow).

If it is impossible to reactivate some of your software due to the original developers having gone under, and if you don't mind, I would suggest uploading a copy of that software to Macintosh Garden for historical preservation purposes, and then combing through your user preferences files (~/Library/Preferences) for the .plist file corresponding to this software. It should contain the activation credentials which you can isolate and then republish for others. This way, the functionality of that software wouldn't be lost forever if your drive was ever wiped or you accidentally deleted a crucial file.

Even if there were an Upgrade Tool, it would expect to be run on a fresh install of 10.5.8 and replace many pre-existing files and preferences. So in many ways, I suppose Migration Assistant is a balanced medium between that and a full system replacement.

-

Actually, the Sorbet App Store icon was derived from the original App Store launcher found in early versions of iOS (during the Leopard era), not the neumorphic version in Big Sur and up. Since the concept of opening a dedicated digital store to download a select number of apps on demand originated with iOS (as far as Apple is concerned anyway), I thought it fitting to pay more homage to that rather than the Mac App Store that both the PPCAppStore and PPCStore chose to do. And we're up to three independent stores now, so it makes sense that this one will be taking a different direction both visually and navigationally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.