Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2019
The Lab DX
I don't think I was alive during the Stone Age. :p

I have several thoughts on the way their website is run, even before the absurd requirements. Some far less savoury than others, and definitely not for this thread. I'll just sum it up to "it'll be easier if I brute force an ftp account's password".

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Well, they open up when you contribute archives unless the rules have changed.
Sure, but don't they have very strict rules on how to create disc images etc.? This just seems to make contributing (much?) more difficult than it could be.

Reactions: lepidotós

Angelgreat

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2021
BetaArchive can go to hell. We can create a better version if their servers! TenFourFox is dead, long live InterWebPPC!

Reactions: reukiodo

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Sure, but don't they have very strict rules on how to create disc images etc.? This just seems to make contributing (much?) more difficult than it could be.
Yes but they gave you all the tools. I just ran Alcohol 120% under Crossover on my Mac Pro and it worked well. Daemon Tools for Mac was trash. Every archive I made using it was wildly off in size compared with either it or Alcohol on Windows.

I used to scan all the documentation and all the packaging. While most only uploaded disc images, my uploads were upwards of 50GB apiece. I only stopped because the uploads were getting swamped with really uninteresting weekly betas of Windows 10 in 40 languages so my stuff was taking ages to get onto the server and often in the wrong place.

I know a lot of people bitch and moan about the rules and requirements etc but I never found them unreasonable and I understood why they stipulated stuff to be uploaded in a certain manner. After all, the point of the site is to be a standardised software archive rather than a sharing platform like Winworldpc or Macintoshgarden.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
BetaArchive can go to hell. We can create a better version if their servers! TenFourFox is dead, long live InterWebPPC!

Actually, 104fox isn't dead because we have a toolkit which allows us to update and keep it going. Kaiser gave us the code, now we need to code to make it work for years to come. I will say, interwebPPC is great, but Aqua Micro is faster.

Angelgreat

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2021
weckary and Macbookprodude got suspended. Karma for them.

Anyways, I hope someone tries to port Sorbet Leopard to the G3 processor or to OPENpower so it can run it on a POWER9-based workstation like the Raptor Talos II or Blackbird.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
weckary and Macbookprodude got suspended. Karma for them.

Anyways, I hope someone tries to port Sorbet Leopard to the G3 processor or to OPENpower so it can run it on a POWER9-based workstation like the Raptor Talos II or Blackbird.
Rumours of my suspension are greatly exaggerated, I feel. If you are going out of your way to try to get people suspended, however, then I doubt you will get far on this forum.

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
There's probably enough AltiVec reliance in what open source components of 10.5.8 and the 10.6.8 UBs that are used that G3 isn't really possible. Definitely by 10.5.0 9a303, it's pretty unstable on my iBook G3 900MHz -- Finder crashes literally every second. The closest anyone could come to that would be to just try to make something along the same idea, frankensteining the latest stable components from each build of 10.5.0 to try to get something along the lines of Clouded Leopard. It would inevitably end up being more of a Tiger update, though (if I were to make one myself, not that I have the skills necessary to, I'd probably name it something like Bengal Tiger in order to temper expectations), since there isn't any 10.5.x software for G3s (and there's no guarantee it would even run if recompiled considering it's fundamentally pre-release (mostly 9a303) 10.5.0, and not 10.5.8). Even just being able to run it relatively smoothly on 7400s (which are just G3s with an AltiVec unit bolted on anyway) is more than regular Leopard managed.
As for OpenPOWER... maybe, though it has enough architectural differences (for example, no OpenFirmware) and the hardware support would pretty much limit you to the same sort of hardware (e.g. SATA and a Radeon X1950 XT) you'd have with a Quad G5 for thousands of dollars less -- on top of kind of completely missing the point of a RCS computer (having everything 100% libre and auditable).
Drivers technically could be written, and OpenFirmware emulated, but it wouldn't be worth it for an OS that can't really handle the Internet as well as, say, FreeBSD ppc64el and can be virtualized on the hardware with QEMU.
I think probably the future of this kind of thing is a custom BSD distribution with a scratch-written desktop environment meant to mimic Aqua exactly, and GNUstep installed for Cocoa support. Bonus points for a Quartz Compositor compatibility layer.​

Last edited:

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
@PowerBookG4Enjoyer LeopardRebirth Remover was specifically designed for standard Leopard. It would replace certain components that have been performance-optimized in 10.5.9 with their more bloated 10.5.8 equivalents, which is why I said that there was no method to undo the theme for Sorbet Leopard.
The LeopardRebirth Remover app will restore all the LeopardRebirth modified resources from any source you point it at. So you could technically package up a mirrored copy of the LRRRestoreResource.dmg (found in the download) with your new resources to restore things how you like (or point it to another partition or Mac on your network)

Attachments

• LeopardRebirthRemover.png
    LeopardRebirthRemover.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 126

NewbiePPC

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2021
I can’t run the installer for XIII, how do I fix it?
I have a kind of similar situation with AoE2 if I remember correctly, are u using the default account? In my case is caused for some folder permissions that I can't fix it in any way, so I assume that is caused for create a new account (I could be wrong of course) btw I like sorbet a lot and I only found this bug, if you manage to solve your problem let me know, thanks

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
I have a kind of similar situation with AoE2 if I remember correctly, are u using the default account? In my case is caused for some folder permissions that I can't fix it in any way, so I assume that is caused for create a new account (I could be wrong of course) btw I like sorbet a lot and I only found this bug, if you manage to solve your problem let me know, thanks
I tried it on the default account and an account I created. I have no idea how I can fix it.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Disneytalk / Elaborately Worded Hype and Hyperbole / Worthless Marketing Garbage #7

Sorbet Leopard Development - Feature Showcase #7 (Grand Finale 1/3)

The Sorbet App Store

In 2015, Adrian Opera gave us the PPCAppStore, introducing a whole new way to discover and download apps on pre-10.6 systems. In 2017, @SourceSunTom improved on the concept further with PPCStore, featuring a fabulously-designed user interface as well as an all-around tighter integration. Now in 2022, a third option will soon become available to users of the recently released OS X 10.5.9. Enter the Sorbet App Store.

Picture 4.png

Picture 3.png

Picture 1.png

Modeled after Apple's Downloads page from circa 2010, the ultra-lightweight Sorbet App Store was conceived for both simplicity and homogeny with the Leopard-era appearance from its inception, as well as also being built for the future thanks to its Macintosh Garden server underpinnings.

Each app is displayed in a 3-entry horizontal row, with crisp, extra large icons for maximum viewing pleasure. Hovering the cursor over an icon will display the app name, and clicking on one will instantly send the user to either the app's corresponding Macintosh Garden page, or entry on the Internet Archive (as signified by the icon right of the download button), where users will there be able to collaboratively rate, comment, and further improve the app page's usefulness for years to come.

Finally, apps are sorted into 7 different categories across a breadth of sub-genres, from Online Media to Graphic Design to Leopard-compatible Games, often featuring both high-quality community solutions and traditionally popular staples together in one place, now just two clicks away as part of every fresh install.

The Sorbet App Store will debut with Sorbet Leopard Revision 1.5, coming mid-Spring.

Store content and appearance not final.

Edit: Updated Downloads page link.

Edit 2: Added one more photo.

Last edited:

fra9000

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2020
Italia
Disneytalk / Hype and Hyperbole / Empty Marketing BS #7

Sorbet Leopard Development - Feature Showcase #7 (Grand Finale 1/2)

The Sorbet App Store

In 2015, Adrian Opera gave us the PPCAppStore, introducing a whole new way to discover and download apps on pre-10.6 systems. In 2017, @SourceSunTom improved on the concept further with PPCStore, featuring a fabulously-designed user interface as well as an all-around tighter integration. Now in 2022, a third option will soon become available to users of the recently released OS X 10.5.9. Enter the Sorbet App Store.

View attachment 1984543
View attachment 1984558

Modeled after Apple's Downloads center from circa 2010, the ultra-lightweight Sorbet App Store was conceived for both simplicity and homogeny with the Leopard-era appearance from its inception, as well as also being built for the future thanks to its Macintosh Garden server underpinnings.

Each app is displayed in a 3-entry horizontal grid, with crisp, extra large icons for maximum viewing pleasure. Hovering the cursor over an icon will display the app name, and clicking on one will instantly send the user to either the app's corresponding Macintosh Garden page, or entry on the Internet Archive (as signified by the icon right of the download button), where users will there be able to collaboratively rate, comment, and further improve the app page's usefulness for years to come.

Finally, apps are sorted into 7 different categories across a breadth of sub-genres, from Online Media to Graphic Design to Leopard-compatible Games, often featuring both high-quality community solutions and traditionally popular staples together in one place, now just two clicks away as part of every fresh install.

The Sorbet App Store will debut with Sorbet Leopard Revision 1.5, coming mid-Spring.

Store content and appearance not final.
Hey that's a wonderful news @z970 !!
Great job over there and cannot wait to see what the new release will bring along with that.

The store is a much needed feature! There are still people developing software for these old architectures and having a platform which shows off their apps would be a very welcomed addon for them!!

Good job again and keep up your efforts ???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.