Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Sorbet Leopard Revision 1.5 (and the Sorbet App Store) is now available for download!

The full changelog of differences from Revision 1.4 is too large to post here however - so an external link has been uploaded containing changelogs specifically for R1.5, as well as for 10.5.9 as a whole (among other things).

That said, here are just several of the highlights:

o Added Sorbet Leopard App Store

o Added TwitterColorEmoji font for full emoji support

o Added Dock display mode toggle scripts

o Added iOS 4, iOS 5, iOS 11, and iOS 12 backgrounds to iOS Theme

o Added 4 Apple screen savers, plus 4 third-party screen savers

o Added Aqua Dark backgrounds

o Replaced original network performance optimizations with revised configuration, increasing network throughput and reducing kernel resource usage even further

o Configured Dock icons to reflect currently hidden applications

o Changed Terminal default preferences to use antialiased Menlo 11 pt. font (10.6 default)

o Updated Safari with never-before-used security fixes from Safari 12 (replaced csparser.bundle and Security binary with updated versions from October 2018 Security.framework release, plus replaced /usr/lib/libsqlite3.0.dylib with libsqlite3.dylib from WebKit files), stabilizing browser memory usage

o Generated compressed read-only release image using Carbon Copy Cloner (instead of Disk Utility), resulting in a significantly smaller disk image, as well as significantly better success rates in restoring the image to a partition

o Various bug fixes

The full changelogs and accompanying documentation can be found below:

-

Moreover ...

I dedicate the hulking labor of love that is Sorbet Leopard to every last principled renegade out there who knows they do not and have never needed the newest apps, websites, or online-only services, and stubbornly refuses to purchase the latest $1k+ Big Tech tracking device in favor of keeping our beloved older machines and traditional computing values alive, in service, and useful to everyone's needs for as long as technologically possible, in the process helping to build an even more self-sustainable culture than what modern Apple's shareholder-controlled marketing team likes to shout.

Keep on rocking, and continue being an inspiration to us all.

Finally, please enjoy the best version of Mac OS X 10.5.9 (ever). :)

Sorbet Leopard Revision 1.5 - Only on Macintosh Garden

Last edited:

PowerBookG4Enjoyer

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2022
Bulgaria
Just installed it on a Power Mac G5 that was collecting dust. Loving it so far! Especially the Tiger wallpapers :)
Picture 1.png

aurora72

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Türkiye
Safari now possesses security fixes inline with October 2018 (concurrent with the release of Safari 12)
Is there a Safari version 12 which runs on PowerPC Mac at all? From the message I gather that there is one. If so, can I download it as a separate DMG i.e. without having to login to App Store?

flatjuba

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2016
So, if I already have Sorbet installed, can I just simply upgrade it with the click or has to go thru some hassles?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Is there a Safari version 12 which runs on PowerPC Mac at all? From the message I gather that there is one. If so, can I download it as a separate DMG i.e. without having to login to App Store?

The last PowerPC version of Safari was 5.0.6 and Tobias Netzel continued with Webkit framework/Security updates until around 2018:

Root certificates are available here but I don't recall if they made much difference when I installed them.

Andy1248

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2021
+1 on this. I also have the original sorbet installed. Can I just run the dmg?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks. Not sure it tells me what I want to know, but will try a dmg install.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be evasive or curt just I'm apprehensive about explaining someone else's work when it can lead to argument. There's no upgrade path at this stage so it will be an overwrite with the latest dmg.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
So, if I already have Sorbet installed, can I just simply upgrade it with the click or has to go thru some hassles?
I also have the original sorbet installed. Can I just run the dmg?
I'm doing an install now with CCC - there are ways and means you can set it to leave particular installed files intact - though you'd do that at your own risk.

tensixturtle

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2021
Kepler 22b
Hello,
I am trying to install v1.5 today, but I am having trouble using the Disk Utility Restore function. For some reason, I am getting "Resource Busy" no matter what I try. Is there another way to do this?
Thanks

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@aurora72 No, there is no version of Safari 12 that will run on OS X 10.5. This version of WebKit 604 (equivalent to Safari 11 in almost all ways) just has the security updates that puts it on par with Safari 12.0, in turn making it a sort of unofficial Safari 11.0.4.

@flatjuba @Andy1248 There is no way to upgrade in-place any pre-existing installation of 10.5.8 or Revision 1.4. A fresh install to a new partition is required.

@tensixturtle The downloaded image not mounting is due to some type of issue on the user's end - it was tested consistently working on various different machines on different user accounts. Reboot the machine, and re-download another image (perhaps from the MediaFire mirror if the Garden image did not work for you).

If that fails, there are a myriad of resources on the Web regarding fixing a "Resource Busy" error. And alternatively, Disk Utility can restore images unmounted, so you may also try that as a back up option.

@Dronecatcher I'm not interested in censorship of any kind; please feel free to say what you will. All I ask is that the entire project isn't minimized down to a handful of well-known performance tweaks that people can accomplish with a combination of OnyX, ShadowKiller, and System Preferences, which is factually misleading / inaccurate if their desire is to reap the benefits of the full package (including deeper performance tweaks, security updates, convenience packages, etc.).

As explained earlier, it can be manually recreated from 10.5.8, but doing so in practice requires re-implementing the entire changelog (accessible from the Documentation R15 download) -- a task that most probably aren't willing to do.

Last edited:

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm not interested in censorship of any kind; please feel free to say what you will.
I was answering folks queries as I anticipated your replies would come hours later due to the time difference - as far as I know, my responses were accurate and it might have helped them to proceed this morning.

Reactions: Amethyst1

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
@Dronecatcher My apologies for the miscommunication, I was responding to your stated apprehension of explaining someone else's work in post #913 because I don't wish for you to have any apprehension at all. I think you'll agree that we collectively walk on too many blasted eggshells these days, and the last thing I want is to be yet another source of that.

Your responses here were indeed very helpful and accurate, and I take absolutely no issue with you (or anyone else) answering their queries when I'm not available. It's a nice gesture, and I hope more people continue to do it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.