Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
Personally, I'd be questioning the accuracy of the app or utility used to derive you those figures.
Most these app aren't accurate, similar to those apps that claim to show battery health .Use them as a guide.
I doubt there will be any SSD repair or recall programs in 2 years time.
We're talking S.M.A.R.T. info here, though; not some guesses made by a random app developer.

drobiu

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2020
Thanks! Can you post a screenshot from the Health Indicators tab, please? I expect Lifetime Percentage Used is 0 but I just want to confirm. If so, that suggests at least 2.3 PBW for the 500GB SSD so Apple's "SSD" is possibly rated for higher than 3,000 cycles or has greater overprovisioning.
Yeah Lifetime Percentage Used is totally 0 but I'm really afraid of that Data Written/Read
Screen Shot 2021-02-16 19.41.41 PM.png

drobiu

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2020
That's why you should never look at numbers unless you have a proper sense of how to interpret them. ?

Now you'll be worried about a failing computer that probably won't fail before you replace it with a new one anyways.
Ha ha ! It's not so bad :) I mean I'm more surprised than worried ;)

It's strange for me because I haven't use it heavily. No bigger projects, no FCP or LR yet. Just for fun, web browsing and huge Excel work.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yeah Lifetime Percentage Used is totally 0 but I'm really afraid of that Data Written/Read View attachment 1731099

What, specifically, are you afraid of here?

IMHO:

Just use the computer as you expect to use the computer.

Evaluate the situation as you near the end of your warranty coverage, whether that is one year or three.

If at that time there is evidence to suggest the system might not remain functional to the remainder of your anticipated time of ownership, then sell it and buy a replacement - using whatever new knowledge about the matter the community has at that time.

Meanwhile continue to keep up with a proper backup methodology, and know what your business continuity / disaster recovery plans are in the event the system fails. Which every should be doing anyway regardless of any potential SSD stuff.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
We're talking S.M.A.R.T. info here, though; not some guesses made by a random app developer.

Yep. I was skeptical of the conversion they were using for raw value to bytes so I compared the change/delta in DriveDx versus Disk Writes in Activity Monitor during a session and they were the same.

Yeah Lifetime Percentage Used is totally 0 but I'm really afraid of that Data Written/Read View attachment 1731099

I wouldn't be worried at all.

At 1.5 months of use, you're still at 0%. Even if you were at 1%, you're looking at minimum 12 years usage at current workload.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
The question still remains though for me what is writing 1 TB in 8 days out of purely academic interest.
I'm curious about where it was when you got it; how much space does a clean, factory, install take? And what version of the OS did it come with?

Forti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
Gdynia, Poland
Guys - once again. It's not an issue with Intel mac's - everything works like a charm there.

I have my old MacBook Pro 13" mid2014 year
I'm curious about where it was when you got it; how much space does a clean, factory, install take? And what version of the OS did it come with?

it was pretty clear, Mac OS Big Sur installed (one update since than). Still - 1TB? :) It's like 4 times write and clean the whole drive.

I'll keep monitor the usage and see in next couple of days.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
61.5 TBW after 21 days on my 8GB M1 MacBook Air. Lifetime Percentage Used is 4% already.

Doesn't look good.

Thank you. This is the first sample I've seen with a non-zero Life Percentage Used value. 61.5 TBW at 4% used suggests a 1.5 PBW lifetime for the 256GB M1 Mac or ~6,000 P/E cycles (or high OP). Alas, 4% used in just 21 days points to just 2 years (525 days). It'll be interesting to see how the situation develops.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
61.5 TBW after 21 days on my 8GB M1 MacBook Air. Lifetime Percentage Used is 4% already.

Doesn't look good.
Yeah that's pretty crazy. I have a M1 MacBook Air 16GB/1TB purchased on launch day which was 13 weeks ago and I'm at:

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 12.46.46 AM.png

So for 90 days, that is about 65 GB/day. I think the 16 GB RAM makes a lot of difference.

One reason that the 8 GB M1 Macs seem fast is that they seem to preemptively write to swap before the virtual memory load actually requires it. Since they have 8 cores, they probably use one of the high efficiency cores to do this in the background. When a memory fault occurs, the SSD already has a copy and the needed memory can be allocated without concern. This would be perceived in a lot of cases as instantaneous if the system guessed correctly. All this is speculation but given the reports about excessive writes to the SSDs on 8 GB M1 Macs it seems likely that macOS is being too aggressive at times. With 16GBs I do not see this behavior.

Edit: Another interesting thing is that in 21 days, your power on time is much higher than mine with 90 days of use. Trust me when I say that I'm on this machine many multiple hours a day/7 days a week, so this can't be just a measure of time the computer is turned on. It must represent when the SSD is not in low power mode and is being read or written to.

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 1.08.00 AM.png

Last edited:

Forti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
Gdynia, Poland
Yeah that's pretty crazy. I have a M1 MacBook Air 16GB/1TB purchased on launch day which was 13 weeks ago and I'm at:

View attachment 1731297

So for 90 days, that is about 65 GB/day. I think the 16 GB RAM makes a lot of difference.

One reason that the 8 GB M1 Macs seem fast is that they seem to preemptively write to swap before the virtual memory load actually requires it. Since they have 8 cores, they probably use one of the high efficiency cores to do this in the background. When a memory fault occurs, the SSD already has a copy and the needed memory can be allocated without concern. This would be perceived in a lot of cases as instantaneous if the system guessed correctly. All this is speculation but given the reports about excessive writes to the SSDs on 8 GB M1 Macs it seems likely that macOS is being too aggressive at times. With 16GBs I do not see this behavior.

Edit: Another interesting thing is that in 21 days, your power on time is much higher than mine with 90 days of use. Trust me when I say that I'm on this machine many multiple hours a day/7 days a week, so this can't be just a measure of time the computer is turned on. It must represent when the SSD is not in low power mode and is being read or written to.

View attachment 1731308

„the power on” I belive is tome from last turn on. On my old MacBook I have 1 month - which I think is a too small number.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
„the power on” I belive is tome from last turn on. On my old MacBook I have 1 month - which I think is a too small number.
Interesting. Not sure why that would be useful for a SSD. Looking at my smartctl info, the computer uptime and power on don't really match. And the power on time hasn't changed since early in the afternoon of February 16th.

Forti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
Gdynia, Poland
Ohh, in that case it may be something else. I just checked in on the web.
Interesting.

I have 24 hours power on and 1.2 TBW on my Mac mini, after 9 days :)

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
What's interesting for me is that smartctl and DriveDx (they both report the exact same stuff on each Mac) information lines are completely different on 3 different Macs.

I have
'175 Host writes' on one Mac and then on another '007 Data Unit Written'

Then a third Mac (my oldest - 2012 MBP retina first gen) reports nothing about total writes, but it does show '175 Wear levelling count' which is reported as 92% after 9 years of ownership.

Spindel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2020
Skärmavbild 2021-02-17 kl. 10.27.21.png

M1 Mini 16 GB had it since around 20 november, working on it every day.

EDIT:// the on time reported is questionable.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.