Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
How far did the Star Trek crew went with their warp speed ships. Did they went 8 billion light years away or were they Lurking in this milky way Galaxy!

In general, Star Trek stayed relatively close to Earth due to most peer star systems within a few thousand light years and therefore reachable within days or weeks at TOS era warp speeds (which generally topped out around 100c). In the TOS episode "By Any Other Name" the Enterprise was taken over by the Kelvans who modified the ship to make the journey back to the Andromeda Galaxy within 300 years. However, the ship only left the Milky Way for a short period before Kirk and Company regained control and headed back (the same happened in the TOS episode "Is There in Truth No Beauty?")

The Enterprise also travelled to the "center" of the Milky Way in Star Trek V, but this clearly was nowhere near Sagittarius A*. ;)

As noted above, in the TNG episode "Where No One Has Gone Before", thanks to The Traveler the Enterprise-D travelled pas the Triangulum Galaxy (M33) which is 2.7 million light years away.

And, of course, Deep Space 9 and Voyager both took place on opposite corners of the Milky Way from where Earth and the other worlds of the Federation reside.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
In general, Star Trek stayed relatively close to Earth due to most peer star systems within a few thousand light years and therefore reachable within days or weeks at TOS era warp speeds (which generally topped out around 100c). In the TOS episode "By Any Other Name" the Enterprise was taken over by the Kelvans who modified the ship to make the journey back to the Andromeda Galaxy within 300 years. However, the ship only left the Milky Way for a short period before Kirk and Company regained control and headed back (the same happened in the TOS episode "Is There in Truth No Beauty?")

The Enterprise also travelled to the "center" of the Milky Way in Star Trek V, but this clearly was nowhere near Sagittarius A*. ;)

As noted above, in the TNG episode "Where No One Has Gone Before", thanks to The Traveler the Enterprise-D travelled pas the Triangulum Galaxy (M33) which is 2.7 million light years away.

And, of course, Deep Space 9 and Voyager both took place on opposite corners of the Milky Way from where Earth and the other worlds of the Federation reside.
Every Trekkie knows Federation ships travel at the speed of plot. No matter how far [or close], the will always arrive with seconds to spare. Or they arrive 2 years too late because the plot dictates it.;) DS9: The Sound of Her Voice.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Lurking... MW is pretty big... To my knowledge there was only 2 instances where Star Trek crews were catapulted beyond the MW galaxy:

On The Original Series (TOS) Kirk and his crew were catapulted to the Andromeda galaxy, and on The Next Generation series, the Picard and his crew were catapulted to the nearby M33 galaxy...

Not sure if the newer series Discovery crew went beyond with their Spore drive...

I think the Q took Voyager to the edge of the universe at the very beginning of time as the one Q who was suicidal was hiding from regular Q.

Reactions: Eithanius

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Reactions: Rafterman

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Reactions: iZac

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I was watching her in Succession for nearly the whole season until it dawned on me why her voice was so familiar.

Why do I feel she'll be a classic Trek bad-admiral type?

Quite the possibility. But with that, another question has to be asked: Why do they always bring back actors who are so good that they could play multiple roles and the viewer hardly recognizes it?

Cases in point: Marc Alaimo, Susie Plaxon, Alan Oppenheimer, and Tricia O'Neill.

BL.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Every Trekkie knows Federation ships travel at the speed of plot. No matter how far [or close], the will always arrive with seconds to spare. Or they arrive 2 years too late because the plot dictates it.;) DS9: The Sound of Her Voice.
That is the problem with Star Trek in general, at least from Next Generation to Voyager. I have not watched any of the newer series. Not sure why I even watch Star Trek, I think in some ways it is the same reason I will watch a Steven Seagal movie, it is so bad it is enjoyable. Star Trek has to be some of the worst writing in TV and a world that could be great if fleshed out and made believable, but they just did not even bother to try and make sense with anything in my opinion. The concept is great, just wish they had quality writing to back any of it up.

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
I didn’t know about this thread until just now. Huge Star Trek geek over here. My favorite series are TNG and DS9.

Voyager is comfort food because that’s the series I grew up with.
Never watched Enterprise but I need to give it a chance—seasons 3/4 are supposedly as good as anything else in the franchise.

The only episodes of the new shows I’ve watched are season 3 of Picard for obvious reasons—which I thought was great btw.

Anyway, glad to be here. Live Long and Prosper! 🖖

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I didn’t know about this thread until just now. Huge Star Trek geek over here. My favorite series are TNG and DS9.

Voyager is comfort food because that’s the series I grew up with.
Never watched Enterprise but I need to give it a chance—seasons 3/4 are supposedly as good as anything else in the franchise.

The only episodes of the new shows I’ve watched are season 3 of Picard for obvious reasons—which I thought was great btw.

Anyway, glad to be here. Live Long and Prosper! 🖖
Seems the number of series should provide you with a few you may truly enjoy. I grew up on the original. Years later, by odd chance met several of that cast as well as some from STNG. I appreciated Enterprise when it was on though like all the series there are some things great and some things not so great. After watching Disco jump into the future and what happened, I had an even greater appreciation of Enterprise, DS9, Voyager, the original series, and Prodigy. I admit Lower Decks is not my thing but it is very popular. Give it a try.

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Seems the number of series should provide you with a few you may truly enjoy. I grew up on the original. Years later, by odd chance met several of that cast as well as some from STNG. I appreciated Enterprise when it was on though like all the series there are some things great and some things not so great. After watching Disco jump into the future and what happened, I had an even greater appreciation of Enterprise, DS9, Voyager, the original series, and Prodigy. I admit Lower Decks is not my thing but it is very popular. Give it a try.
I should have added that I did watch TOS in passing and I’ve seen all the movies many times. I do love the original cast (awesome that you got to meet some btw!). But I need to do a proper watch through of TOS because I don’t think I truly appreciated it when I was young. I will also give Lower Decks a chance, thanks for the recommendation!

Last edited:
Reactions: phrehdd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.