Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2010
UK
(Newbie warning) Sorry, what am I missing here? The Barefeats tests show cMPs PCIe 2.0 x4 card can do 5GB/s:
http://barefeats.com/hard220.html

No a 4 lane card cannot do 5GB/sec

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
Actual throughput:
PCIe 2.0 1 lane: 500 MB/s
PCIe 2.0 4 lanes: 2 GB/s <- thunderbolt 2 and internal PCIe slot Apple put the SM951 on
PCIe 2.0 8 lanes: 4 GB/s
PCIe 2.0 16 lanes: 8 GB/s

Single Samsung SM951 read speed max: 2.091 GB/s.

PCI-e 3 / Thunderbolt 3, operates with a throughout just shy of 4GB/sec - still using 4 lanes.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Just so people are aware of the facts. PCIe 2.0 / thunderbolt 2 has a per-lane throughput of 5GT/s per lane, which gives us 500MB/s of actual data transfer per lane, and since each thunderbolt 2 port has 4 lanes, each port is capable of 2GBytes/sec usable (faster than SATA, obviously, and also why the internal storage uses PCIe instead of SATA). Thunderbolt 3 doubles the usable rate to 4Gbytes/sec. Each thunderbolt port can also supply 15W of power. With internal PCI cards on the Mac Pro before 2012 you are limited to the 3 slots available and what the power supply can deliver to these devices, in contrast external expansion with external power sources where necessary (very few cases) is not limited to the power supply of the tower. In addition, external expansion can be daisy chained and there are 6 thunderbolt / external PCI-e ports to begin with (including the dual GPUs, the 2013 Mac Pro is using all 40 PCI-e lanes provided by the workstation CPU). For the record, the Mac Pro before 2013 did not have a blu-ray drive or a volume control inside. It's time to accept change and move on guys.
Ok, two things;
  1. Internal expansion does not preclude the use of external expansion.
  2. nMP comes with Six TB2 ports yes, but only actually three controllers.
What’s the Blu Ray and volume control bit for?

singhs.apps

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
They're not interested in the pro user anymore. Its the luxury market they want.

I wish the likes of dell, boxx, hp, Lenovo, and most likely candidate : Razer would pick up the cMP design philosophy and put us out of our misery. They have the hardware, and in some cases the scale too.Microsoft should stop dragging its feet reg the UI mess that is the current windows ( or release the Miux thingie ) and just draw out the creators from under Apple's thumb. Some concentrated media campaign would help.

Reactions: Chicane-UK

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
What is the point in comparing to PCIe 2.0 specs when we are in 2017? Why not look at the ATX motherboards out there that already has a Thunberbolt 3 port, on top of having like 3 16 lane PCIe 3.0 slots? There are Hackintosh machines out there running on this kind of hardware and OS X is running like a rocket on them.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I'm certain they read these forums and probably agree with many of our points , though Cook and co have their bonuses set by profit KPIs, and frankly the only way to sustain those unrealistic numbers, focus is on idevices. Forget Mac Pros , the notebook range is being left to die slowly.

Greed is killing apple, they need to chase markets share instead of profits, and they are doing the opposite , charging more for less units sold . We can blame Cook, but frankly it's the board who is failing is.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I'm certain they read these forums and probably agree with many of our points , though Cook and co have their bonuses set by profit KPIs, and frankly the only way to sustain those unrealistic numbers, focus is on idevices. Forget Mac Pros , the notebook range is being left to die slowly.

Greed is killing apple, they need to chase markets share instead of profits, and they are doing the opposite , charging more for less units sold . We can blame Cook, but frankly it's the board who is failing is.

I think Steve Jobs hit it right on the head when he was talking about the Post PC era,
this video of him talking about it explains so much.

Time has obviously moved forward since this video and Steve Job's death, the tablet is replacing the PC for a lot of users, now by this i don't mean power users, i mean what the majority of consumers use their Personal computer's for, i.e. email, social media, web browsing, watching content (iTunes, Netflix, NowTV and so on) and with the iPad Pro content creation is even more possible, the Apple Pencil enables people to draw and so on, for artists that's a great thing.
Video can even be edited on the iPad Pro. This brings it to the point that less and less people will need powerful machines such as the MacBook Pro and and Mac Pro, Apple will more than likely cater to the majority rather than the minority.

Plato65

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
the tablet is replacing the PC for a lot of users, now by this i don't mean power users, i mean what the majority of consumers use their Personal computer's for, i.e. email, social media, web browsing, watching content (iTunes, Netflix, NowTV and so on)

I have a bit of a hard time with this statement. It gets taken as an obvious fact, but looking at the actual sales data doesn't support it. Sales of iPads have been shrinking for three years straight while Macs are holding steady. Sales of tablets in general are shrinking too for at least two years now.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I think Steve Jobs hit it right on the head when he was talking about the Post PC era,
this video of him talking about it explains so much.

Time has obviously moved forward since this video and Steve Job's death, the tablet is replacing the PC for a lot of users, now by this i don't mean power users, i mean what the majority of consumers use their Personal computer's for, i.e. email, social media, web browsing, watching content (iTunes, Netflix, NowTV and so on) and with the iPad Pro content creation is even more possible, the Apple Pencil enables people to draw and so on, for artists that's a great thing.
Video can even be edited on the iPad Pro. This brings it to the point that less and less people will need powerful machines such as the MacBook Pro and and Mac Pro, Apple will more than likely cater to the majority rather than the minority.

I ageee , at the same time there will always be a need for these "trucks" and you should be going for markert share and not short term profits

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I have a bit of a hard time with this statement. It gets taken as an obvious fact, but looking at the actual sales data doesn't support it. Sales of iPads have been shrinking for three years straight while Macs are holding steady. Sales of tablets in general are shrinking too for at least two years now.

Because people are holding onto their tablets a lot longer, they don't update them as much as phones, at least that's my experience. Also iPad's are lasting a lot longer, in our house the newest tablet is owned by me, and that's an iPad Pro 12.9" other members of my family have older iPad's which they don't see the need to update yet because their hasn't been a compelling reason for them to upgrade. You wouldn't need to when all you do is watch content, browse the web and so on, basically what people use to do with Personal computers.

Plato65

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
The comparison was not with between iPads & iPhones but between iPads & Macs. If people were replacing Macs with iPads, the sales of Macs should be shrinking and sales of iPads holding steady. But we observe the opposite.

There have been bigger changes in iPads than in Macs and hence there should be more reason to upgrade an iPad than a Mac if the iPad were the main device.

Reactions: aaronhead14

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I ageee , at the same time there will always be a need for these "trucks" and you should be going for markert share and not short term profits

Yea the "trucks" i.e. Personal computers will be around for a very long time (as Jobs said in the video i posted) but less people will be using them. Do i think Apple has changed? yes i do, do i think Apple would have been different under Steve? probably yes, But is Apple rubbish, doomed and so on that we seem to keep seeing by posts on these forums, no i don't personally think they are. I own the iPad Pro 12.9" a iPhone 7 Plus, Apple Watch and an iMac 2012, all of which are after Steve Jobs died and under Tim Cook, i still think they are great products.
Now maybe Apple have shifted their focus from Mac's for whatever reason, but at the moment i'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, maybe they have things in the works that are just taking time or maybe there is a stumbling block with the Mac, i just don't know. I think sometimes it requires patience.
[doublepost=1483792586][/doublepost]
The comparison was not with between iPads & iPhones but between iPads & Macs. If people were replacing Macs with iPads, the sales of Macs should be shrinking and sales of iPads holding steady. But we observe the opposite.

There have been bigger changes in iPads than in Macs and hence there should be more reason to upgrade an iPad than a Mac if the iPad were the main device.

There have been bigger changes, but as i said not everyone needs to upgrade from their older iPad, for example why would my mother and father upgrade from their iPad 3 and 4 when all they do is browse the web, watch videos and so on, you can still do that on those older devices without the need to buy the latest versions. Students still buy Mac's for university, i have a 2011 MacBook Pro that helped me thought university and is by far the best computer i ever owned (it's the first Mac i had after switching from terrible Window machines). I don't think EVERYONE will switch from a personal computer to an iPad, as Steve Jobs said in the clip, personal computers will still exist, but they wont be used by the majority it will be more like 1 in 25 or something like that where as before it was 100% i'm not saying that is complete, but it's certainly on the way, at least that's what i think. over time more and more people will be using iPad's instead of personal computers, i think Apple know this and is why they are putting more pro feature into the iPad Pro for example.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Yea the "trucks" i.e. Personal computers will be around for a very long time (as Jobs said in the video i posted) but less people will be using them. Do i think Apple has changed? yes i do, do i think Apple would have been different under Steve? probably yes, But is Apple rubbish, doomed and so on that we seem to keep seeing by posts on these forums, no i don't personally think they are. I own the iPad Pro 12.9" a iPhone 7 Plus, Apple Watch and an iMac 2012, all of which are after Steve Jobs died and under Tim Cook, i still think they are great products.
Now maybe Apple have shifted their focus from Mac's for whatever reason, but at the moment i'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, maybe they have things in the works that are just taking time or maybe there is a stumbling block with the Mac, i just don't know. I think sometimes it requires patience.
[doublepost=1483792586][/doublepost]

There have been bigger changes, but as i said not everyone needs to upgrade from their older iPad, for example why would my mother and father upgrade from their iPad 3 and 4 when all they do is browse the web, watch videos and so on, you can still do that on those older devices without the need to buy the latest versions. Students still buy Mac's for university, i have a 2011 MacBook Pro that helped me thought university and is by far the best computer i ever owned (it's the first Mac i had after switching from terrible Window machines). I don't think EVERYONE will switch from a personal computer to an iPad, as Steve Jobs said in the clip, personal computers will still exist, but they wont be used by the majority it will be more like 1 in 25 or something like that where as before it was 100% i'm not saying that is complete, but it's certainly on the way, at least that's what i think. over time more and more people will be using iPad's instead of personal computers, i think Apple know this and is why they are putting more pro feature into the iPad Pro for example.

Apple is not going anywhere, they will just turn into another Sony , positioning themselves as a premium electronic consumer / fashion company . And be part of the pack. What has gone is that vision of becoming market share leader to the consumer , post jobs they are really going for bling , that is going for the upper consumer market.

Jobs did not care for the vain, he wanted to beat Microsoft in the consumer market, just better devices for everyone.

There will be a lot of negative noise on These forums as long term apple fans show their frustration of apple moving away from computers, in time when they leave . Though these days it's not haters that are just trolling it's the longest and most loyal fans that stuck by apple

Reactions: George Dawes

magicMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2010
UK
Apple is not going anywhere, they will just turn into another Sony , positioning themselves as a premium electronic consumer / fashion company . And be part of the pack. What has gone is that vision of becoming market share leader to the consumer , post jobs they are really going for bling , that is going for the upper consumer market.

Jobs did not care for the vain, he wanted to beat Microsoft in the consumer market, just better devices for everyone.

There will be a lot of negative noise on These forums as long term apple fans show their frustration of apple moving away from computers, in time when they leave . Though these days it's not haters that are just trolling it's the longest and most loyal fans that stuck by apple

Actually, on the contrary, Steve Jobs said Apple needed to remember who Apple were to succeed and to stop trying to be Microsoft and that they didn't need to beat Microsoft to do well. And of course, he was right. Ever since then, Apple has been turning a profit and has attracted happy and loyal customers.

Reactions: ixxx69 and Dave245

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Actually, on the contrary, Steve Jobs said Apple needed to remember who Apple were to succeed and to stop trying to be Microsoft and that they didn't need to beat Microsoft to do well. And of course, he was right. Ever since then, Apple has been turning a profit and has attracted happy and loyal customers.

He did say that, and his intention was never to beat Microsoft, being Microsoft, but to beat Microsoft while being Apple. And he is quoted as saying that Apple could have potentially beat Microsoft had it not been for John sculley, the video is just above

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

And in some ways Apple do beat Microsoft, maybe not sales but i think when it comes to making the best devices, obviously this is a personal thing so i can't say that it's officially that Apple beat Microsoft, some people will believe that Microsoft is better. My personal experience is that Apple make expensive devices, but in the long run they last longer and require less maintenance. For example my first Mac was my MacBook Pro 2011, is a brilliant Mac that saw me through 4 years of university and still works! the same with my iMac 2012, every iPhone and iPad i've ever owned.

Hank Carter

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
We're beating a dead horse. If you want a workstation bite the bullet and get a Win10 box and keep a Mac around for

I tried switching to an iPad for about a year. Battery life was great, but it was a very frustrating experience. Try adding two attachments to a single email or copying and pasting from one Pages document into another etc. Multitasking is clumsy and really doesn't work. At the end of the day the iPad is a giant iPhone and nothing more. Great for consuming content, drawing with the pencil etc. There are certain applications that are nicer to run on the iPad than the iPhone due to the bigger screen, but that alone is not worth the compromises you need to deal with. With the addition of a keyboard the iPad was the size of a laptop. After a year of this nonsense I gave up and bought a MacBook Air.

Apple really missed the boat on this one and Microsoft got it right with their decision to make one OS across the desktop and mobile. The Surface / Win10 combo is not perfect, but it will improve over time. But it's the right idea.

I've been with Apple since the days of the Apple II and Fat Mac. That's a long time. This year I bought a Win10 workstation for my business, because Apple left the Mac Pro to rot on the vine. So, far Windows has not been the fiasco I anticipated it to be and in some cases turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I'm due for a new laptop this spring and I have a sneaking suspicion it will be a Surface Pro 5. I need something that combines the power of a laptop with a touch screen that I can draw on and Apple simply doesn't offer anything like that. So for the first time in over 20 years I may be without a Mac and running Windows across the board. At that point even the continued use of the iPhone will become a point of debate. See how this works, Timmy?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I wrote this 2½ years ago:

I used an iPad for three years (when traveling only). I grew to hate the darn thing. To me, it's a toy, not a computer. Last August I sold it on Craig's List and picked up an 11" MBA. I couldn't be happier. The form factor couldn't be better, IMHO. I luv it.

However, I made a BIG mistake. I bought it with only a 64GB SSD. My idea was to use a 500GB Hybrid drive when I was in a hotel room or visiting someone and to use the small SSD only for internet use while moving about. Didn't work. I bought a 480 GB internal SSD, first from OWC, but had problems with it, so it's being RMAd and I have a Transend 480GB SSD that should be here next week. Being able to put all my files on the internal drive and use it anywhere is GREAT!!!!

My home computer is a souped up Mac Pro. But the MBA is a GREAT little machine. iPads =BAH HUMBUG - IMHO

And this a year and a half ago:

I gave up on my iPad a couple of years ago. After three years, I hated the darn thing. My 11" MBA is another story. A real computer that's ultra portable. I luv it.

Still feel the same!

Lou

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I repeat. What you stated earlier is rubbish. What I stated is fact.
It’s no different from an IT department saying raise a help desk ticket instead of phoning. It doesn’t mean they’ll ignore any other kind of request because they DON’T.
Re-read my last sentence from earlier.

And I repeat you're 100% incorrect. You have never once worked in IT if you think that you just "phone the IT department". Tickets are important because its an organized way of keeping track of things people are reporting (and in the IT world, it's the queue and its first come first serve, so calling is rudely skipping over everyone else in the queue and interrupting the IT persons work.)

Stop crying, and go to http://www.apple.com/feedback and start typing if you don't like something.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
And I repeat you're 100% incorrect. You have never once worked in IT if you think that you just "phone the IT department". Tickets are important because its an organized way of keeping track of things people are reporting (and in the IT world, it's the queue and its first come first serve, so calling is rudely skipping over everyone else in the queue and interrupting the IT persons work.)

Stop crying, and go to http://www.apple.com/feedback and start typing if you don't like something.
Two reasons why you’re wrong;
  1. So, you’re remote and your laptop stops working. This means you cannot get onto your company intranet to raise a ticket. You phone your helpdesk and guess what, you’re query is dealt with.
  2. I personally have called my IT dept in a number of companies and had then take feedback and resolve issues. I know of countless others that have done the same and will continue to do so. I know Apple have taken note of things raised in their own discussion forums because they have contacted me personally about issues from forum post(s) I made. I did not, and I repeat not, use their feedback forms.

You stated, and I quote: If you want to send feedback you HAVE (no exceptions) to go to Apple.com/feedback and provide it there. That is NOT true. Whilst it might be the best place to do it your statement is still FALSE.

Bye.

Last edited by a moderator:

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Surely Apple has employees who read these forums... right?? I don't see how there's any way Apple doesn't know what consumers want in their products... So why the heck doesn't Apple just make the products we want already? I'm so sick of Apple ignoring our wants and needs.

This is all I'm asking for:
  • A Mac Pro with a tower-like design (similar to the the pre-2013 Mac Pros).
  • Up to 128 GB RAM (and user-upgradeable)
  • GTX 1080 or Titan Pascal graphics card options
  • A non-proprietary SSD, and plenty of room to add my own SSDs later
  • PCI-e slots for expandability
THAT'S IT! That's all we want! Just make it happen. It seriously can't be that hard to make a product like this....

In fact, if you're really so adamantly against making the Mac Pro that everyone wants, please let me make it myself. All you need to to is give me permission to install macOS, and give me Nvidia Pascal drivers.

In the meantime, I'm really enjoying my new, custom-built Windows PC. But I'm really, really, really missing macOS. It's so much better than Windows!

Nope, not a chance.... Not when they are expected to worship at the design altar of Jony Ive. Straying from the cult mantra of "thinner is best" is sacrilege.

How else does the maximum amount of memory supported by a pro laptop get cut in half to save a few millimeters of overall thickness?

They're all drowned in Flavor Aid.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Two reasons why you’re wrong;
  1. So, you’re remote and your laptop stops working. This means you cannot get onto your company intranet to raise a ticket. You phone your helpdesk and guess what, you’re query is dealt with.
  2. I personally have called my IT dept in a number of companies and had then take feedback and resolve issues. I know of countless others that have done the same and will continue to do so. I know Apple have taken note of things raised in their own discussion forums because they have contacted me personally about issues from forum post(s) I made. I did not, and I repeat not, use their feedback forms.

You stated, and I quote: If you want to send feedback you HAVE (no exceptions) to go to Apple.com/feedback and provide it there. That is NOT true. Whilst it might be the best place to do it your statement is still FALSE.

Bye.

Not wrong at all dude I did IT work for over a decade and now I'm in software development and the entire time its always been "if you want it fixed, put in a ticket".

Calling IT just pisses them off.

Again, either fill out the feedback form or stop bitching. Period.

SimeoneSergio

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2012
London UK
  • A Mac Pro with a tower-like design (similar to the the pre-2013 Mac Pros).
Personal opinion. A lot of people here like the trash bin. Deal with it. They're not going to have a tower-like design again -EVER-. That kind of device is SOOO last decade.
  • Up to 128 GB RAM (and user-upgradeable)
User upgradeable part would be nice, yes. Difficult to happen though.
  • GTX 1080 or Titan Pascal graphics card options
Considering the fact that this is a desktop and they don't necessarily have to feed us the low power consumption optimization fairytale i personally agree.
  • A non-proprietary SSD, and plenty of room to add my own SSDs later
Why, when their SSD is the fastest on the market? Why can't you plugin into USB-C ports all the SSDs you want? Pushing hw (as a user) INSIDE the case is SOOO last decade, deal with it.
  • PCI-e slots for expandability
And what would you put in PCI-E slots that can't be plugged into USB-C ports?

It seriously can't be that hard to make a product like this....
That product is SOOO last decade, can you understand this?

But I'm really, really, really missing macOS. It's so much better than Windows!
Captain Obvious strikes again

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.