Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you own a Surface device

• Yes I own a Surface Pro or Surfacebook - it’s great

Votes: 161 51.8%
  • Yes I own a Surface laptop - it’s great

Votes: 35 11.3%
  • No - i’m not a fan

Votes: 65 20.9%
  • Not anymore I had a bad experience

Votes: 50 16.1%

• Total voters

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
For me, there's a voting option missing. I have a Surface Pro 3. I think it's just alright.

The updates just drove me made. Also if I have I have a choice for drawing, I've grown to prefer the Apple Pencil over the Surface pen. Because it still retains that drawing on top of glass feel, while your actual drawing is under the glass, which is something I find too distracting.

What I ended up doing primarily after I grew disenchanted with it, was finding it could play some steam games. Most importantly Fire Pro Wrestling World, which allowed me to get the early access version. Being a sort of hardcore Fire Pro fan from the SNES days, this made the Surface Pro worth every penny I paid for it and more.

Reactions: minik

Queen6

macrumors G4

Nice, I've been looking at the Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6, however wanted a little more spec. Still may pickup the Samsung as it'll take time for it to get out internationally and the Samsung will likely now be discounted.

I only need it as companion device to my primary notebook (i7 8750H, GTX 1070, 32 Gb @ 2666Hz, SSD+SSHD) mostly notes and the Samsung come as a package with the KB & Pen, and potentially the edge with the CPU.

Q-6

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Nice, I've been looking at the Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6, however wanted a little more spec. Still may pickup the Samsung as it'll take time for it to get out internationally and the Samsung will likely now be discounted.

I only need it as companion device to my primary notebook (i7 8750H, GTX 1070, 32 Gb @ 2666Hz, SSD+SSHD) mostly notes and the Samsung come as a package with the KB & Pen, and potentially the edge with the CPU.

Q-6
If KB is back lighted then that's a real plus although the AMOLED Samsung displays are very nice :)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I’m intrigued to see if Microsoft release an updated Surface Pro this year, especially considering Apple haven’t updated their Mac line up.

Also does anyone (who knows about specs better than me as I’m not really spec wise) know how this Surface Go compares to the 12” MacBook?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I’m intrigued to see if Microsoft release an updated Surface Pro this year, especially considering Apple haven’t updated their Mac line up.

Also does anyone (who knows about specs better than me as I’m not really spec wise) know how this Surface Go compares to the 12” MacBook?
Microsoft don’t seem to be all that desperate to keep the surface lineup at the cutting edge chip-wise regardless of what Apple are doing. All but the new surface books are still using last gen chips as far as I’m aware

The MB will outperform the go quite handsomely, but then you’d expect it to for 3x the price!

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Microsoft don’t seem to be all that desperate to keep the surface lineup at the cutting edge chip-wise regardless of what Apple are doing. All but the new surface books are still using last gen chips as far as I’m aware

The MB will outperform the go quite handsomely, but then you’d expect it to for 3x the price!

Oh i thought the Surface was running the latest specs, so it's not just Apple who haven't updated their computer line up yet then. I'm very reluctant when it comes to Windows, to be honest even as an Apple fan it's only Windows that puts me off buying and tying out a Surface device, if they had MacOS Mojave i would buy one.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
No AMOLED on the 10.6", not sure of the KB lighting, also limited to 4Gb RAM, versus the new Surface with a 8Gb option, although it'll take time to get to our side of the world.

Q-6
My Bad :)

Was hoping for BL KB on the new Surface as only the Samsung 12" Book has it

No chance of the Samsung Book 10" or 12" here as the Tab Pro S never got this far, picked my one up in UK

I really liked the Samsung AMOLED panel and the KB was not bad, but if the new MS KB is like the SP4 and has a bigger TP I am sold after trying several Yoga's and Lenovo Book all running W10 although the little Samsung Tablet S3 was not to shabby given its Android. I just prefer the option of running full software at times over Apps
[doublepost=1531218989][/doublepost]
Oh i thought the Surface was running the latest specs, so it's not just Apple who haven't updated their computer line up yet then. I'm very reluctant when it comes to Windows, to be honest even as an Apple fan it's only Windows that puts me off buying and tying out a Surface device, if they had MacOS Mojave i would buy one.

Surface only came out in June 2017 :rolleyes:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013

No chance of the Samsung Book 10" or 12" here as the Tab Pro S never got this far, picked my one up in UK

I really liked the Samsung AMOLED panel and the KB was not bad, but if the new MS KB is like the SP4 and has a bigger TP I am sold after trying several Yoga's and Lenovo Book all running W10 although the little Samsung Tablet S3 was not to shabby given its Android. I just prefer the option of running full software at times over Apps

The last Mac updates were in June 2017 as well, at WWDC.

Queen6

macrumors G4

True, Surface Book is now on 8th Gen CPU's. Apple computers, just a laughing stock only for the die hards and fan boys.

It's getting rediculous now, starting to think that Apple is deliberately deprecating the Mac so it can say how "amazing" it's ARM MacBook's are, when in reality they will just be piss poor overpriced under performing garbage...

Q-6

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Back light KB :)
[doublepost=1531222481][/doublepost]
True, Surface Book is now on 8th Gen CPU's. Apple computers, just a laughing stock only for the die hards and fan boys.

It's getting rediculous now, starting to think that Apple is deliberately deprecating the Mac so it can say how "amazing" it's ARM MacBook's are, when in reality they will just be piss poor overpriced under performing garbage...

Q-6
I can put up with software bugs or 7th Gen chips and even missing ports as there are ways around but defective hardware nope why would you buy anything with a known critical defect where you are likely to be inconvenienced at some point in time :rolleyes:

Reactions: macjunk(ie)

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I have had a Surface Pro 2017 i5/8g/256g, with type cover, pen, and Surface mouse for about a year. I formerly used a Mac Mini for home stuff, and a Dell business grade laptop for work. I also have an iPad and iPad Mini that I've not used in years because I didn't want to carry another device on business travel. My goals in buying the Surface were to be able to take hand written notes in OneNote and also to combine everything into one device. I'm delighted with how its performed. I travel only with this device and my Note 8 for smartphone. Both allow pen editing of OneNote pages.

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I have had a Surface Pro 2017 i5/8g/256g, with type cover, pen, and Surface mouse for about a year. I formerly used a Mac Mini for home stuff, and a Dell business grade laptop for work. I also have an iPad and iPad Mini that I've not used in years because I didn't want to carry another device on business travel. My goals in buying the Surface were to be able to take hand written notes in OneNote and also to combine everything into one device. I'm delighted with how its performed. I travel only with this device and my Note 8 for smartphone. Both allow pen editing of OneNote pages.

And how do you find you’re Surface? Does it lag or is Windows a lot better than it use to be?

Also do you know if PC games are playable on the Surface Pro devices?

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
And how do you find you’re Surface? Does it lag or is Windows a lot better than it use to be?

I love it... performs very well. It is the best computer I've ever owned and is similar to the way I felt years ago when I got my Macbook Air.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe

I have a Surface Pro 4 i5 (the model before the current Surface pro 2017). Windows 10 is not lagging at all on it. It can do light gaming and some AAA 3d games on lower settings. But it is not really meant to be a gaming machine. Youi can search YouTube for games reviews on Surface pro's.
For gaming a Surface Book 2 (15 inch with Nvidia GTX 1060) would be better. For hardcore gaming I will always recommend a desktop though.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I love it... performs very well. It is the best computer I've ever owned and is similar to the way I felt years ago when I got my Macbook Air.
I have a Surface Pro 4 i5 (the model before the current Surface pro 2017). Windows 10 is not lagging at all on it. It can do light gaming and some AAA 3d games on lower settings. But it is not really meant to be a gaming machine. Youi can search YouTube for games reviews on Surface pro's.
For gaming a Surface Book 2 (15 inch with Nvidia GTX 1060) would be better. For hardcore gaming I will always recommend a desktop though.

That’s great, the Surface is a unique type of device I think that’s why it gives off that Air type of feel. Apple still refuse to make a Surface type of device, I don’t know if it’s because they truely think it’s a bad experience OR if they are afraid to cannibalise iPad and or Mac sales.

I was thinking games more like Sims, Age of empires, that type of thing really nothing too heavy or demanding.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
That’s great, the Surface is a unique type of device I think that’s why it gives off that Air type of feel. Apple still refuse to make a Surface type of device, I don’t know if it’s because they truely think it’s a bad experience OR if they are afraid to cannibalise iPad and or Mac sales.

I was thinking games more like Sims, Age of empires, that type of thing really nothing too heavy or demanding.
Games like Sims, Age of Empires are no problem at all on a Surface Pro.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Games like Sims, Age of Empires are no problem at all on a Surface Pro.

Cool, it’s kind of the one thing I wish the iPad had ie the ability to play full games or even PC games. Before I switched to Mac in 2011 I use to love playing games on my PC, Age of empires, Sims, Theme hospital and so on were all great games :)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Update, i visited Currys PC world (a UK electronics store in the U.K) and played around with both the Surface Pro and the SurfaceBook, i have to say that i was surprised at how impressed i was with both devices. I haven't used a Windows machine since 2011 BUT it's clear that the Surface devices have moved Windows along nicely.

The pro's that i noticed:

• Very well built, sturdy and Apple like in their luxury build quality
  • Windows seemed very well implemented for touch (which surprised me a lot)
  • Display quality was easily on par with the MacBook Pro - seemed really high res
  • touch display worked well - much better than i had thought it would
  • The keyboard was really good to type on and didn't feel flimsy or as cheap as it looks
  • The design is even more good looking in person
  • The kick stand works really well AND it feels sturdy not some cheap plastic back that would break
The only thing that i wasn't impressed with was on the SurfaceBook when i used the touchscreen it seemed a lot more wobbly than on the Surface Pro.

Overall as a long time Apple Mac user (since 2011) i was very impressed and i'm not ashamed to say that i think i was WRONG in my initial thoughts (dare i say hating comments?) on the Surface Pro a few months back.

If Microsoft invest in this BIG time and continue the push with it i can see it being a great product that sells very well over time, and i think it will take time but more and more people will probably take to the product. Just think if a big Apple fan like me was impressed, then what will the average consumer or non Apple fans think? :)

Attachments

• IMG_0833.jpg
    IMG_0833.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0832.jpg
    IMG_0832.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 216

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
When it first came out, I gave the Surface Pro 3 i5 a good try, using it daily for a solid 6 months. Core I 5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD.

Ended up putting it on a shelf, and it rarely moves from there except to dust around it.

Size was right on. Pen was great with apps like OneNote and Drawboard.

But...

Part of the problem was Windows 8. ‘Nuff said. Almost nothing was iPad-like finger friendly. Windows 10 didn’t exist at the time.

Other problems were very suboptimal battery life. It was hot and fans would spin up constantly. Even just web browsing. Wonky, unreliable WiFi (eventually got better with firmware updates, in all fairness).

Made a decent desktop since heat & fans don’t really matter. Pretty borderline laptop. Terrible tablet.

Might try again, but it would have to be either one of the fanless models of the Surface Pro, or possibly the Surface Go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.