Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoLemon

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2018
World
Anybody in the area of the border fo Germany France and Switzerland Which is willing to flash my Titan card ?
Thanks

Litsnsirn

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2018
Wisconsin
I bought a Titian Ridge 2.0 some time back to try and add the functionality to my 5,1 but never got around to it. When I read the directions now, am I correct in thinking that you read and save the contents of the blue and green chips but then only flash one of them? It seems to me like the files to download only have a single .bin file. Does one over-write the other?

tommy chen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2018
I bought a Titian Ridge 2.0 some time back to try and add the functionality to my 5,1 but never got around to it. When I read the directions now, am I correct in thinking that you read and save the contents of the blue and green chips but then only flash one of them? It seems to me like the files to download only have a single .bin file. Does one over-write the other?

you need only flash the blue chip

_LiveSorcerer_

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2018
Itu-SP/Brazil
Hi, I installed Titan Ridge on my MacPro 5.1 2012, and I'm using OpenCore 0.8.7 on BigSur.
But when I start my Orico TB3 SSD M.2 , MacOS does not start, but when I disconnect it and start the system, MacOS starts working again.
Any idea?

dbnolen

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2022
Aptos, CA
I am running Monterey on a Mac Pro 4,1 flashed to 5,1, with an AMD 7950 HD 3GB with a Titan Ridge 2 and a TB monitor along with another monitor. I got here by using Martin Ho's Clover Configurator 0.8.9. Almost everything is working perfectly, except Thunderbolt. The system boots perfectly, and everything runs, but the TB monitor never starts up, though it is visible in System Information. Booting up results in a black screen, despite multiple attempts. The Titan Ridge is in slot four, and there's a minidp cable from one of the HD7950's miniDP ports to port 2 of the Titan.

Any suggestions?

what2be

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020
Sounds like a power issue maybe? Im assuming you have the power connectors connected to the Titan Ridge 2 and if so, where is the power coming from? I dont believe it will work if your drawing it from the 2 aux power connectors on the maiin board. But dont put too much into my advice, mine still doesent work either, although my devices show up in the system report under the thunderbolt section. Im only trying to connect to my QNAP TVS-h1288X NAS so maybe someone with a TB monitor can provide further help.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
Booting up results in a black screen, despite multiple attempts.
This is typically the case on a cold boot, but you should be able to get an image once macOS starts, possibly after power cycling the display. By the way, which thunderbolt display is this?

dbnolen

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2022
Aptos, CA
Sounds like a power issue maybe? Im assuming you have the power connectors connected to the Titan Ridge 2 and if so, where is the power coming from? I dont believe it will work if your drawing it from the 2 aux power connectors on the maiin board. But dont put too much into my advice, mine still doesent work either, although my devices show up in the system report under the thunderbolt section. Im only trying to connect to my QNAP TVS-h1288X NAS so maybe someone with a TB monitor can provide further help.
I think if it were a power issue I wouldn't be seeing the System Info for the Titan card. But...what power cables? This worked with nothing else when the I was trying to build the system with Opencore Legacy Patcher, but now I'm using Martin Ho's CLover Configurator.

dbnolen

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2022
Aptos, CA
This is typically the case on a cold boot, but you should be able to get an image once macOS starts, possibly after power cycling the display. By the way, which thunderbolt display is this?
I'm not sure, but it worked perfectly with Mojave. It hasn't worked since I installed Monterey. However, as said above, I was using a different configuring system.

7ecapilot

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2023
Anyone can tell me why Thunderbolt docks don´t work with the Titan Ridge? I have tried a bunch of them. Sorry if this was answered before, I could´t find anything.
I have this same issue with an elgato Thunderbolt 3 Dock. I have an NVME in a USB 3.1 enclosure and other peripherals that attach and work perfectly when directly connected to the Titan Ridge (v1). But, my elgato Dock does nothing. It would be nice to use to daisy-chain TB3 or USB-C.

Dang... I keep thinking of other stuff to include:
MacPro 5,1 6 Core 3.46Ghz, 64GB RAM, RX6600XT
2TB NVME in PCIE slot 2
Inatek USB 3.0 PCIE slot 3
Titan Ridge v1 in PCIE slot 4

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Update: GPIO and USB hub module installed and working.

The module provides four internal USB data connections: one for the BT module, two for the GC-TITAN RIDGE, and a spare (pictured above, only the BT connection is used). It also provides GPIO for the GC-TITAN RIDGE (see above on the right). To the best of my knowledge, this is the first active add-on module for interacting with a Thunderbolt card through the THB_C header. The module not only takes care of FORCE_PWR but also detects SLP_S3 to reset one of the PD controllers for proper wake-from-sleep behavior. As a result, my LG UltraFine 5K display no longer stays black when my Mac Pro wakes from sleep!
So JA120 can be connected to power the BT module? What is the pinout and what connector it requires? Do you have any board diagram?

Itconnects

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2020
I’m selling my Mac 5.1 with Titan ridge thunderbolt. Everything works like a dream however, I’d like to wipe the ssd the os is on for the new owner without undoing the working thunderbolt in its current state. What’s the best way to go about this ?

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
So JA120 can be connected to power the BT module? What is the pinout and what connector it requires? Do you have any board diagram?
Yes, the internal USB (Bluetooth) header (labeled JA120) is used to power and provide USB data lines for the GPIO and USB hub module. I'll be providing additional technical details about the device (as well as possible procurement information) in a dedicated thread shortly.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
I just recently set up OpenCore with Monterey on my cMP 4,1>5,1. I've had a Titan Ridge card sitting around waiting for me to get around to setting up OpenCore. I had previously flashed both chips on the card to firmware 23 per the instructions here. I also clipped off the tiny 0 ohm resistor said to help the system stay in sleep mode and I made and installed the jumper on the 5-pin thunderbolt header. The card is in Slot 4 of my cMP--all four slots are occupied.

Following @cdf 's great instructions in post #1 of the OpenCore thread, I edited the SSDT with my card's PCI details, put it in the OC > ACPI folder of my EFI partition and enabled it in my OpenCore config.

Two questions:

1. In System Profiler > Thunderbolt I see the Thunderbolt bus but the vendor name shows as GIGABYTE, not Apple. Is this just a cosmetic problem or does it indicate an actual issue with my setup? For what it's worth, when I plug in a thunderbolt 3 dock I have, it does get detected and show up in the device tree. I did no further testing though. Does this point to an issue with the SSDT or could that be caused by firmware?

2. I'm not able to get any USB 3.0/3.1 devices to be seen when plugged into the card's thunderbolt ports. I know that USB 1.1/2.0 devices won't work without connecting the USB header on the Titan Ridge, but I thought SuperSpeed devices should work without that connection. The USB 3.1 bus does show up in System Profiler > USB but nothing ever shows up beneath it when I plug in USB 3.0/3.1 devices. The only other potential issue is maybe the two USB3 devices I tried connecting required more power than the card could supply (I do not have any supplemental PCIe power going to the card--just whatever the bus provides). I just ordered an externally-powered USB 3.0 hub so I will try that soon to see if it makes any difference.

I am attaching the SSDT I am using in case anyone can spot anything wrong with it.

Appreciate any pointers.

Attachments

• SSDT-TbtGCTR.aml.txt
    1,014 bytes · Views: 83

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
Appreciate any pointers.

1. If you see "GIGABYTE", then that indicates that the SSDT is not loaded, which can be problematic for hot-pluggability. You should see "Apple Inc." when it is loaded properly. To rule out any issues with your edits, you can try loading the sample unmodified.
  2. Perhaps this is related to your SSDT issue. Try connecting the devices before booting and also try rebooting afterwards.

Reactions: bookemdano

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
  1. If you see "GIGABYTE", then that indicates that the SSDT is not loaded, which can be problematic for hot-pluggability. You should see "Apple Inc." when it is loaded properly. To rule out any issues with your edits, you can try loading the sample unmodified.
  2. Perhaps this is related to your SSDT issue. Try connecting the devices before booting and also try rebooting afterwards.
Thanks! Will give these a shot, and then retry making the SSDT to see if I can get it to show up as Apple, Inc.

Also, saw your previous post--would love to get my hands on one of your olà cards--fingers crossed that will become possible here one of these days 😅

Reactions: cdf

helluhjon

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2020
I was following this thread for a couple of years but dropped off. I'm coming back to it and was wondering what the FW of choice is for most people. From previous posts I've seen that people have had success with different FWs, so hoping to just narrow it down.
I have a 4,1 (flashed to 5,1) and a Titan Ridge v2. I don't really care about sleep or USB as the only TB device I use is an Apogee Symphony Mk ii. I can't remember what FW I flashed, but once it's working it's solid.
My issue is that sometimes it takes a few warm reboots, and unplugging/re-plugging. The reboots are time-consuming, but manageable, but plugging requires going behind a rack, so I'd like to resolve that.

These are the FWs that I've seen people saying work with the TR v2 card:
  1. GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin
  2. GC-Titan-Ridge-V2.0-Mod-NVM50-CaseySJ.bin
  3. DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin
  4. Z390-DESIGNARE-NVM67-CASEYSJ.bin
Additional sources I've read through:
Thunderbolt Mac Pro Early 2009 with Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge Card
Repository of Patched Thunderbolt Firmware Files
https://github.com/utopia-team/Thunderbolt

what2be

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020

I too see Gigabyte and not apple, this is the case when using OC or OCLP. But I do see my QNAP NAS when plugging a TB3 cable in, I just cant connect to it. I have tried both the SSDT that martin provides as well as making my own SSDT via your tutorial using OC. This is my second Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0 card. I had originally bought a unmodified Gigabyte Titan ridge card and programmed it myself and when I couldnt get it to work I bought another one pre programmed and neither work, neither will show "apple" as the mfg, rather, both say "gigabyte". Suggestions?

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
I too see Gigabyte and not apple, this is the case when using OC or OCLP. But I do see my QNAP NAS when plugging a TB3 cable in, I just cant connect to it. I have tried both the SSDT that martin provides as well as making my own SSDT via your tutorial using OC. This is my second Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0 card. I had originally bought a unmodified Gigabyte Titan ridge card and programmed it myself and when I couldnt get it to work I bought another one pre programmed and neither work, neither will show "apple" as the mfg, rather, both say "gigabyte". Suggestions?

Is the card in Slot 4 (the one closest to SATA Bay 4)?

Did you try the unmodified SSDT provided in post #1 of the OpenCore thread? That one worked for me.

Are you positive that you enabled the SSDT in your OC config file? Maybe attach your OC config for the experts to look at (I am not one of them).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.