Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
Something is wrong. Every (known) modified firmware prevents sleep when a USB 3.0 device is connected. That's why we have to remove the tiny 0Ω resistor on the card. Perhaps it's your display that's not waking up (since it's also connected through the card). Perhaps you could try with another display.

dfiore

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2023
I can try another display, but how should I connect it, i don’t have another usb c display

dfiore

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2023
@cdf

I removed the USB C display, put another display direct to one of the DisplayPorts in the 580 and it will sleep and wake fine.

Maybe the firmware I flashed is not the right one, mind linking me to the correct one for a v1 card?

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
I would try reflashing the card. A flashed card would have prevented sleep.

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
See here

Two good options are GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin and TitanRidgeMacOSFirmware.bin. Another possibility is DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
I uninstalled this card. It´s unsusefull for me. None of my my 4 thunderbolt docks works with it.

Gustav Holdoff

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2020
I uninstalled this card. It´s unsusefull for me. None of my my 4 thunderbolt docks works with it.
my dock also does not work with titan ridge (with alpine too)
WAVLINK dock works with Macbook Air M1.
on mac pro it is recognized in system hardware overview
but none of the connected ssd is recognized
on the other hand - I have a usb3 WD Mybook Duo - it works with titan ridge, I use it as a dock - compared to the usb3 pci adapter is not very convenient - as it requires a reboot to see the disks
Sleep/wakeup ok
for reference - I used the cdf instructions for setting up the thunderbolt and made the ssdt according to the instructions

alpine worked for me half a year ago with some 0.8.x versions of opencore, but it was not convenient, the dock did not work, and to see the disks you need to reboot
and I removed the thunderbolt and returned USB3
but recently I tried to tune my alpine again
took the ssdt, which used to work - added lines, as in the cdf instructions,
but alpine - began to work with errors - after rebooting the external disk WD My Book is visible and working, but in a minute it disappears
i see the same behavior with unmodified ssdt (that worked for me with OpenCore 8x)

does anyone have experience? does anyone have a thunderbolt working with a dock, if so, with which one?
EDETED
I took out the old Belkin Tb2 dock from the box,
it seems to be working
but the speed of the ssd connected to usb is very slow-
for example, I have a NVME adapter to usb3 - my ssd connected to the WD gives a speed of 450mb/s, and connected to belkin dock - only 170mb/s

Last edited:
Reactions: trifero

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
In case anyone is wondering about the instructions mentioned above:

(See Complete your setup > Thunderbolt therein)

JordanGallimard

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2023
Interesting. This seems to be the same issue that affects the LG UltraFine 5K. I bet olá could solve this!
Hello there !
I don’t think this is really the good thread to ask my question, but it’s directly connected to this (and it doesn’t open a new one for just one question).
I was wondering if with the new 6800, 6800XT that comes with a usb c connector for video, the LG screen you use would be working in 5k, without the titan ridge for thunderbolt ?
Best regards,
Jordan

Last edited:

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
I was wondering if with the new 6800, 6800XT that comes with a usb c connector for video, the LG screen you use would be working in 5k, without the titan ridge for thunderbolt ?

I don’t believe you’d get 5K 60Hz without going through a Thunderbolt card like the GC-TITAN RIDGE. The reason is that the LG UltraFine 5K is a dual-link SST display, which uses two DisplayPort connections to produce a 5K image at 60Hz.

With its two DisplayPort inputs, the GC-TITAN RIDGE provides those two connections over Thunderbolt. On the other hand, I believe that USB-C ports on video cards just provide a single DisplayPort connection (Alt mode). Nevertheless, with later iterations of the LG UltraFine 5K, you should be able to get a scaled 4K image. You might also be able to do 5K 39Hz with a custom timing.

Franciscoqt

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2020
Update: GPIO and USB hub module installed and working.

The module provides four internal USB data connections: one for the BT module, two for the GC-TITAN RIDGE, and a spare (pictured above, only the BT connection is used). It also provides GPIO for the GC-TITAN RIDGE (see above on the right). To the best of my knowledge, this is the first active add-on module for interacting with a Thunderbolt card through the THB_C header. The module not only takes care of FORCE_PWR but also detects SLP_S3 to reset one of the PD controllers for proper wake-from-sleep behavior. As a result, my LG UltraFine 5K display no longer stays black when my Mac Pro wakes from sleep!
Hello!

Please count me in!

I would love to buy 2 units

I also have a 5k ultra fine. Really nice display.

If you need I Can help with some funds

Please keep up the great work!

Reactions: cdf

giomega

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2023
Paris
Hello!
First time posting around here so I hope I’m at the right place, feel free to point a different thread or missing info in my request !
I’ve been fighting with my titan ridge for the past 3 weeks to get video a thunderbolt video output to my apple cinema display (thunderbolt version).
The screen is indeed recognised as a thunderbolt device after reboot (camera, usb dock and speakers work) but I have no video.

Some info about my setup:
  • Mac Pro 5,1 late 2010, 96 Gb of ram, 2 TB nvme startup disk (2 1TB partitions)
  • Mac flashed GTX 680 2gb (which outputs video fine tough all of its ports)
  • TR 2.0
    • Card Installed in slot 4
    • Flashed using (I think) all of the available firmware I was able to put my hands on, but I understand the most common is the TitanRidgeMacOSFirmware.bin
    • With a jumper cable between the pins 3 and 5 (the TR 2.0 has an extra connector tho, maybe the pins are different for TR and TR 2.0?)
  • Osx Big Sur with Latest Martin Lo OpenCore package (0.9.4). Config modified to correct the multi monitors bug (specific to Big Sur) and to activate the thunderbolt devices.
From my online research, no video output seems to be caused by a bad flash of the blue chip. Hence I tried flashing with different osx versions / computers, with two different programmer boards (no 3.3v mods on them tho) and using windows (using AsProgrammer).

Whenever I flash I manually read the flashed contents of the chip and compare them to the bin file uploaded to make sure the contents of the EEPROM are successfully written.

Would anyone have suggestions on things I might have forgotten along the way?
I’ll happily provide further information about my setup if needed!

Thanks for all the info in the thread, it helped immensly

Thanks,

Gio

eikic1

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2014
indonesia
Hello!
First time posting around here so I hope I’m at the right place, feel free to point a different thread or missing info in my request !
I’ve been fighting with my titan ridge for the past 3 weeks to get video a thunderbolt video output to my apple cinema display (thunderbolt version).
The screen is indeed recognised as a thunderbolt device after reboot (camera, usb dock and speakers work) but I have no video.

• Mac Pro 5,1 late 2010, 96 Gb of ram, 2 TB nvme startup disk (2 1TB partitions)
  • TR 2.0
    • Flashed using (I think) all of the available firmware I was able to put my hands on, but I understand the most common is the TitanRidgeMacOSFirmware.bin
    • With a jumper cable between the pins 3 and 5 (the TR 2.0 has an extra connector tho, maybe the pins are different for TR and TR 2.0?)
  • Osx Big Sur with Latest Martin Lo OpenCore package (0.9.4). Config modified to correct the multi monitors bug (specific to Big Sur) and to activate the thunderbolt devices.
From my online research, no video output seems to be caused by a bad flash of the blue chip. Hence I tried flashing with different osx versions / computers, with two different programmer boards (no 3.3v mods on them tho) and using windows (using AsProgrammer).

Whenever I flash I manually read the flashed contents of the chip and compare them to the bin file uploaded to make sure the contents of the EEPROM are successfully written.

Thanks,

Gio
hello, im newbie, i want to ask about TR 2.0, are you flash??
bcause i want to buy but unflash TR 2,0, can i use without flash? or enough with OC 0.9.4??
thanks before maybe you have experience

giomega

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2023
Paris
hello, im newbie, i want to ask about TR 2.0, are you flash??
bcause i want to buy but unflash TR 2,0, can i use without flash? or enough with OC 0.9.4??
thanks before maybe you have experience
Hi!
Sorry but I'm kind of a newbie too!
Yes I tried to flash my card, but I seem to be unsuccessful, as my setup dosen't allow me to have a video output from the TR usb-c output... Therefore I don't think I'm in a really good position to help you!

randomdamage

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
Question: I have a Mac Pro 5,1 running Monterey 12.6.8, using OpenCore 0.8.6. For the most part, the system is absolutely rock solid. However, with the GC Titan Ridge flashed and installed (WAKE# resistor removed), I find that if I have any USB devices (such as a downstream USB 3.0 hub, USB 2.0 flash drive, etc.) plugged into the GC Titan Ridge USB-C ports, sleep refuses to work. The system will attempt to go to sleep but will simply wake back up again. The system does sleep as long as I have nothing plugged into the USB-C ports. I do have the internal GC Titan Ridge USB 2.0 header connected to downstream USB 2.0 ports on an internal hub I installed in the Mac Pro.

I'd love to have my Dell UP2715K plugged into this to take advantage of the USB 3 speeds, but would prefer to keep the system in sleep mode when not using it for extended periods of time.

Is this behavior typical and expected?

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
Are you sure this is happening with USB 3 devices?

To my knowledge, USB 3 devices should not prevent sleep with the WAKE# resistor removed. On the other hand, USB 2 devices will prevent sleep if adequate power is not provided to the USB header. While the GC-TITAN RIDGE itself provides USB 5V during S0, it relies on the header to keep devices powered during sleep. Without that power, devices get disconnected, triggering the exit from sleep.

randomdamage

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
Are you sure this is happening with USB 3 devices?

To my knowledge, USB 3 devices should not prevent sleep with the WAKE# resistor removed. On the other hand, USB 2 devices will prevent sleep if adequate power is not provided to the USB header. While the GC-TITAN RIDGE itself provides USB 5V during S0, it relies on the header to keep devices powered during sleep. Without that power, devices get disconnected, triggering the exit from sleep.
Ah, good question. I had thought so, but when I unplug the USB 2.0 internal connector to the Titan Ridge card, my system stays asleep with my Dell monitor connected. The internal card reader is USB 3.0 and is still detected, but the USB 2.0 mouse and keyboard connected to it no longer work. So, it is likely a power issue. Rats. I didn't run VBUS between my internal USB hub and the Titan Ridge. Time for some rework....

Thanks!

KittyComputer

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2022
Update: GPIO and USB hub module installed and working.

The module provides four internal USB data connections: one for the BT module, two for the GC-TITAN RIDGE, and a spare (pictured above, only the BT connection is used). It also provides GPIO for the GC-TITAN RIDGE (see above on the right). To the best of my knowledge, this is the first active add-on module for interacting with a Thunderbolt card through the THB_C header. The module not only takes care of FORCE_PWR but also detects SLP_S3 to reset one of the PD controllers for proper wake-from-sleep behavior. As a result, my LG UltraFine 5K display no longer stays black when my Mac Pro wakes from sleep!

Any word on this project? 👀
I'd love to help support this in anyway I can.

giomega

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2023
Paris
Hello!

• TR 2.0

Thanks,

Gio

I’ve since kind of figured out the issue:

The issue wasn’t with the flashing of the titan ridge, but with the configuration of OpenCore.
There is a known bug (and supposed .plist fix) with OpenCore, which prevents OS above 10.14 to use a second display. I was using Martin Lo’s OpenCore package, with the .plist modification, which is supposed to correct this behaviour, but nothing i did allowed me to have a video signal on the thunderbolt screen (camera speakers and all else workeds...)

Long story short, when i booted in macOS 10.14 without OpenCore, I was shocked to see my apple Cinema Display outputting a video signal!

Updating my system to Big Sur with the OCLP (open Core Legacy patcher) allowed me to have a video signal on my apple thunderbolt screen “out of the box” (no further .plist modifications)

BUT, in this configuration I need to unplug and replug my thunderbolt screen after startup (operation not needed when booting in macOS 10.14)

Out of curiosity I tried reverting to Martin Lo’s Open Core package and modified once againg the .plist to correct the "no second screen video output": impossible to get any video signal on the thunderbolt screen.

TLDR:
If you want to use a Thunderbolt Apple Cinema Display with the titan ridge on an os above 10.14, use the Open Core Legacy Patcher ;)

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
I’ve since kind of figured out the issue:

The issue wasn’t with the flashing of the titan ridge, but with the configuration of OpenCore.
There is a known bug (and supposed .plist fix) with OpenCore, which prevents OS above 10.14 to use a second display. I was using Martin Lo’s OpenCore package, with the .plist modification, which is supposed to correct this behaviour, but nothing i did allowed me to have a video signal on the thunderbolt screen (camera speakers and all else workeds...)

Long story short, when i booted in macOS 10.14 without OpenCore, I was shocked to see my apple Cinema Display outputting a video signal!

Updating my system to Big Sur with the OCLP (open Core Legacy patcher) allowed me to have a video signal on my apple thunderbolt screen “out of the box” (no further .plist modifications)

BUT, in this configuration I need to unplug and replug my thunderbolt screen after startup (operation not needed when booting in macOS 10.14)

Out of curiosity I tried reverting to Martin Lo’s Open Core package and modified once againg the .plist to correct the "no second screen video output": impossible to get any video signal on the thunderbolt screen.

TLDR:
If you want to use a Thunderbolt Apple Cinema Display with the titan ridge on an os above 10.14, use the Open Core Legacy Patcher ;)
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback on this!
I’d like to ask you one related question. I pumped up my 5.1 pretty good in the past, and I would love to connect the Apple ProDisplay XDR on a TR card. I already got a flashed TR card and an appointment at an Apple third party premium reseller store that will allow me to test their Display if I bring in my rig.
If you look at my sig, is there a chance to get it to work? If so, what procedure do I need to keep in mind when I try this next week?
My setup is a bit different in a sense that I use the recomended (older) Open Core Installation from MacVidCards.eu. They flashed my AMD6800XT card in Poland (Europe) to have a fully bootable system. That means I still see the classic white Apple boot screen and not the “usual” Open Core black boot screen that most of you use. That means I am not using MartinLo package or any other work around. But everything works flawless so far. I also did the USB2.0 header hardware upgrade (pic below) to further debug any issues as described in this forum.
But I have read, that I still will need to boot into Win10 first, before I fire up Monteray to have full Display XDR support via Titan Ridge Card. Did I Miss something? I hope I can report back to you, once I did try out. What preps will I need to be successful?

Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 16.55.54.png

Last edited:

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
what procedure do I need to keep in mind when I try this next week?

Some things to consider:
  • With a flashed-for-Mac Titan Ridge card, you will not have to boot into Windows first.
  • After first connecting the display, or cold booting with the display connected, you will only get an image after macOS starts. Subsequent reboots with the display connected might give you an image during pre-boot (boot picker, loading screen).
  • You probably won’t get an image immediately after connecting the display. If there is still no image after 30 seconds or so, power cycle the display (unplug and plug it back). Failing that, try switching the order of the DP connections from your graphics card.
  • USB functionality through the display requires a reboot after connecting the display. Further functionality (hot-plug, wake from sleep) requires an SSDT. Instructions are provided in the OC guide (see Complete your setup>Thunderbolt). If you are more comfortable with Martin’s package, you can also use the SSDT provided there.
Let us know how it goes!

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Hey @joevt or other gurus.

I have a ASUS TB4 JHL8540 Maple Ridge card. I'm trying to get my 5,1 running OCLP to upgrade from Monterey to Sonoma and connect it to my Pro Display XDR. I currently have a Navi 5700XT in the 5,1 which won't work with Sonoma.

My guess? I get a RX 580 or Vega 56 (supported with OCLP Sonoma) and pump the DisplayPort into the ASUS TB4 card, then out to the Pro Display XDR via TB3.

How hard is it to get a Maple Ridge card working in a 5,1 with OCLP?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Hey @joevt or other gurus.

I have a ASUS TB4 JHL8540 Maple Ridge card. I'm trying to get my 5,1 running OCLP to upgrade from Monterey to Sonoma and connect it to my Pro Display XDR. I currently have a Navi 5700XT in the 5,1 which won't work with Sonoma.

My guess? I get a RX 580 or Vega 56 (supported with OCLP Sonoma) and pump the DisplayPort into the ASUS TB4 card, then out to the Pro Display XDR via TB3.

How hard is it to get a Maple Ridge card working in a 5,1 with OCLP?
macOS needs to recognize the XDR as a Thunderbolt device which means the Maple Ridge needs to be fully working. I haven't tried getting a Maple Ridge fully working (or any other Thunderbolt card - I just use them for USB and USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode). I can connect Thunderbolt devices without getting Thunderbolt fully working, but I don't think the dual HBR3 x4 mode will work in that case (though I haven't tried that since I don't have an XDR and I haven't tried making macOS think an XDR is connected - I don't know if macOS looks for a Thunderbolt ID or just an EDID to determine when it should enable dual HBR3 x4 mode).

I don't recall anyone getting a Maple Ridge to do dual HBR3 x4 for the XDR.

A flashed Titan Ridge card might be necessary but I don't know if that will do the dual HBR3 x4 mode for the XDR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.