Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martys1

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2019
*Apogee Thunderbridge Solved* (Working in Catalina w/5.4c Symphony Drivers)

For the last couple of days I have been trying to get an Apogee Thunderbridge to work with a flashed v23.0 Titan Ridge card and Opencore. The card worked fine for TB uses apart from working with the Apogee Thunderbridge. The Apogee Thunderbridge was “recognized” in the system profiler correctly (Apple Inc. Vendor/40 Gb/s) but it would not connect to any interfaces connected to it (“no Apogee systems found”). I tried everything I could think of...changed TB cable, re-installed Apogee drivers, allow driver in Gatekeeper, tried Mojave, cold boot, warm boot, etc. But nothing worked...

The solution turned out to be simple...to just remove the SSDT-TBOLT3.aml file from my Opencore EFI and reboot. System profiler reports Thunderbolt bus as vendor “Gigabyte” 20 GB/s

Based on this finding, I have a couple of questions...

1. Is SSDT-TBOLT3.aml only required for HotPlug or do I loose any other of the Titan Ridge card’s functionality?

2. Is there another SSDT file I should try?

thanks
Hey, I just read your post and i was wondering: does / did the combination Titan Ridge -> Thunderbridge -> Symphony work well for you in the end? Any crashes / device not recognized /warm boot needed, etc?
And what was the highest OS /Open Core version that you have used with this configuration?
I'm asking because I'm doubting if i should sell my Symphony 64 pcie card and free the occupied pcie slot for a Titan Ridge, connect my Symphony mk1 though a Thunderbridge and have Thunderbolt connectivity.
Tnx!

Tinsken

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2024
Hello.
I installed the Titan Ridge to my Mac Pro 5.1 running Catalina. The card is at the pci slot 4. It's properly flashed and it shows at the system information just fine. I downloaded and installed the drivers, blessed the Open Core and when I connect an nvme usb c disk do the Titan Ridge, it works just fine.
I recently bought Mac Mini M2 Pro and I want to connect it to Mac Pro 5.1 using thunderbolt brodge, so I can uste my Mac pro as a storage server. I tried everything such as DHCP, Manually typing the ip addresses but I didn't het them to see each other. I both the Titan Ridge just for this purpose, to be able to access the Mac pro disks via thunderbolt bridge.
Can someone help please?

Best Regards,
Tino

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Hello.
I installed the Titan Ridge to my Mac Pro 5.1 running Catalina. The card is at the pci slot 4. It's properly flashed and it shows at the system information just fine. I downloaded and installed the drivers, blessed the Open Core and when I connect an nvme usb c disk do the Titan Ridge, it works just fine.
I recently bought Mac Mini M2 Pro and I want to connect it to Mac Pro 5.1 using thunderbolt brodge, so I can uste my Mac pro as a storage server. I tried everything such as DHCP, Manually typing the ip addresses but I didn't het them to see each other. I both the Titan Ridge just for this purpose, to be able to access the Mac pro disks via thunderbolt bridge.
Can someone help please?

Best Regards,
Tino
In the PC World about 30 years ago there used to be only a very limited number of how to connect systems. Either a classic network with RJ45 / CAT cables or special solutions like a PC to PC via crossover cable. This golden rule has not changed much. Only a view more special solutions, mostly proprietary have been added. However no special solution ever made it to replace the gold standard - Network via CAT/RJ45 cabling.
The Thunderbolt solution was never intended to connect PC's. Its sole intention was to allow more bandwidth compared to USB & Firewire for faster data transfer between PCI add-on / plug-in cards / GPUs to the CPU mainframe peripherals.
This means, if you want to network your MP5.1 with a Mac mini, you should go the traditional route and use the classical Ethernet platform. Go for an Ethernet switch, use an older (and budget friendly) Apple Time Capsule with Ethernet switch option and avoid this Thunderbolt stuff when it comes to Networking and Server Applications. NAS Solutions such as Synology, Netgear or Lacie are your friends. Believe me, you don't want to wast your time in setting up Thunderbolt stuff other than the intended usage. At least that's my experience so far.

One of my personal favorite third party is this one here. They have a dedicated section when it comes to networking.
Check out their solutions. There are many options that will work with your MP5.1 full support.

@joevt:
When it comes to brand new computers and devices after manufacturing year 2020, you are completely correct.
There are some new use cases with that Thunderbolt stuff that may work under special circumstances. Of course Apple wants you imprisoned in their Walled Garden of expensive, propriatery world of new toys.
Still, the traditional network approach is the old world, showed in the link above.

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The Thunderbolt solution was never intended to connect PC's.
It can connect PC's. Therefore it was intended. There was so much intent, that the developers of all Thunderbolt supporting OS's (macOS, Windows, Linux) took the effort to have Thunderbolt IP drivers created for them.

What is not intended, is for people to use Thunderbolt Add-In cards in old PCs. This is evidenced by the fact that Thunderbolt Add-In cards require extra connections and firmware that old PC's don't have. I suppose manufacturers would rather you buy a new PC. Open Core can maybe apply the necessary firmware changes (SSDT? EFI driver? I dunno).

KevinClark

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2019
Is there a new firmware to flash titan ridge v2 to get 2 thunderbolt working both great on Mac Opencore Martin Lo 098 + SSDT Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.