Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
As I said, it would be the passengers at the root.
I agree but passengers want cheap airfare but complain about what they get (or don't) with cheap airfare.
I used a powerful research joystick. What might break is the actuation blocking it in a certain position, it would have to be designed so that this can't happen (losing just some degree of feedback).
If it's like the B-1 (what I'm told), C-17 (again what I'm told) and A320 there i an override to disable the other sidestick.
Yes, the 737 does not need a RAT for the hydraulics, but you lose the electricals without both battery, APU, and engines.
With a 737 I can land with no power because it's not FBW. I have done it in a simulator during recurrent a few times and while not fun it is possible. On an A320 with no power and if the RAT doesn't work you're dead.
Sully was flying a bit too slow, so alpha protection engaged.
That's the problem with Airbus' philosophy where it thinks the computer should be in control and not the pilot. The computer is great but it doesn't know what's going on outside the flight deck.
I came for the pictures not arguments about big ugly flying buses. :eek:
More pictures are needed!
Actually, I'm interested in both, - or, rather, I am interested in reading what informed professionals have to say about both, as I am interested in the history and works of aviation, but my only practical experience has been as a passenger.
I like both Boeing and Airbus. My ideal flight deck would have the sidestick like Airbus has but it would be an active sidestick so I can see and feel input from the other pilot and it would have active thrust levers like Boeing. I should add that I am a big fan of the tray table in the A320 flight deck too.
I just returned from my interview trip where I used my sister's Rimowa. While it fit everything I needed and is beautiful it was missing one thing that I use often enough that not having it would be a problem the j-hook to hold extra bags. My current TravelPro didn't have one either but I had someone in a previous squadron sew one on but that isn't an option on aluminum. And for the Air Force people here I did pay that person in the universal Air Force currency!
While this is a neat thread with some pilots, I'd recommend the forums at airliners.net or, the best IMO, PPRuNE.org. The days of heated battles over side sticks vs yolks have diminished significantly over the years. A great deal of preference has to do with ones background. Personally, I loved the side stick setup on my Lawn Dart, as well as center sticks, and yolks that I've flown. "Stick and Rudder" flying in a Super Cub, or a C-170 type was always the most enjoyable for me. :apple:
I'm not arguing sidesticks versus yokes because I prefer the egronomics of the sidestick and as @Huntn said it's fun to fly with. Also by having a sidestick I get a tray table! My problem with the sidestick is that it's not active like the yoke. I can't feel any input the other pilot is making and the computer will cancel out inputs made from both sidesticks. If it was an active sidestick like the Gulfstream G500 and G600 have and the Irkut MC-21 has it would be easier to know what's going on. The sidestick on the Viper is great but it's a 1 pilot aircraft. When I was instructing on the T-38 at Sheppard I was able to see what the student pilot was doing by looking at the center stick because like the yoke on Boeing they are synchronized.
Most are beautiful. :D
Most are
Insects in pitots causing some trouble again. Actually, failing to remove the covers this time.
That sounds like someone didn't do the preflight walk around.
Some sensationalist press. Air Belgium's A340s are at most 11 years old and they come straight from Finnair.

Comparable BA average ages:
747: 21.9
777: 16.1
767: 21.4

No problem with a wet lease there.

Finnair has just sold 60% of Norra with both subfleets at the 10 year mark.
It really isn't the age of the aircraft that matters so much as the amount of cycles and maintenance. The reason long haul aircraft are often older than short haul is the cycles. I flew on an Air France A340 a few years ago when my wife & I went to Paris and liked it.

Reactions: Glideslope

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If it's like the B-1 (what I'm told), C-17 (again what I'm told) and A320 there i an override to disable the other sidestick.

With a 737 I can land with no power because it's not FBW. I have done it in a simulator during recurrent a few times and while not fun it is possible. On an A320 with no power and if the RAT doesn't work you're dead.

That's the problem with Airbus' philosophy where it thinks the computer should be in control and not the pilot. The computer is great but it doesn't know what's going on outside the flight deck.

It really isn't the age of the aircraft that matters so much as the amount of cycles and maintenance. The reason long haul aircraft are often older than short haul is the cycles.
What happens if both joysticks get blocked? A military plane does not need as much certification as a civilian one.

Sure you can land the 737 without instruments, but you might fail without them.

It is not evident that Sully would have succeeded on a 737.

I doubt those Finnair A340 logged many cycles, and it's not just about the airframe. And a plane is only certified to fly a certain number of cycles.

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
What happens if both joysticks get blocked? A military plane does not need as much certification as a civilian one.
From my contacts who have flown the B-1 and C-17 there hasn't even been one stick that got blocked. While a military plane might not need as much certification as a civilian one they are tested and evaluated much more than a civilian one.
Sure you can land the 737 without instruments, but you might fail without them.
I wasn't referring to landing a 737 without instruments. I was saying the 737 can be landed with no power and that I have done it during recurrent in a simulator. On the other hand an A320 with no power and no RAT is essentially a death trap.
It is not evident that Sully would have succeeded on a 737.
It is not evident that FBW helped Sully either.
I doubt those Finnair A340 logged many cycles, and it's not just about the airframe. And a plane is only certified to fly a certain number of cycles.
I'm well aware a plane is only certified to fly a certain number of cycles. Although there are plenty of T-38 that have exhausted their cycles and are still flying. It isn't age as much as it is cycles and maintenance.

Reactions: Glideslope

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
From my contacts who have flown the B-1 and C-17 there hasn't even been one stick that got blocked.

On the other hand an A320 with no power and no RAT is essentially a death trap.

It isn't age as much as it is cycles and maintenance.
That something has not happened yet does not mean it cannot happen (maybe those sticks are blockproof).

5 things would have to fail on that A320 instead of 4. And you could still mechanically control rudder and stabilizer.

Hence the point about the only previous owner of those A340s being Finnair.

Last edited:

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
Hence the point about the only previous owner of those A340s being Finnair.
Apologies for the misunderstanding! It looks like Finnair has had the A340 since 2006 and some were previous Virgin Atlantic & Air France. I wonder what Air Belgium got them for and who else was interested.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Apologies for the misunderstanding! It looks like Finnair has had the A340 since 2006 and some were previous Virgin Atlantic & Air France. I wonder what Air Belgium got them for and who else was interested.
I had checked in airfleets. Air Belgium got the Finnair-only ones. They are not -600s so maybe very few people were interested.

Finnair still has some ex-Air France A340s stored. And they would be a less desirable version.

It also seems that A340P2F never happened in the end.

Last edited:

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
I had checked in airfleets. Air Belgium got the Finnair-only ones. They are not -600s so maybe very few people were interested.

Finnair still has some ex-Air France A340s stored. And they would be a less desirable version.
I think Finnair only had the A340-300 so it was the shorter one.
It also seems that A340P2F never happened in the end.
Airbus really hasn't had success in the freighter market like Boeing has. I know FedEx has the A300-600RF and A310-300F they're replacing with the 767-300F and UPS still has the A300-600RF.
Yet another African airline will be started with Q400's.
The Q400 isn't bad. I've been on a couple and I thought they were nice.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I think Finnair only had the A340-300 so it was the shorter one.

Airbus really hasn't had success in the freighter market like Boeing has. I know FedEx has the A300-600RF and A310-300F they're replacing with the 767-300F and UPS still has the A300-600RF.

The Q400 isn't bad. I've been on a couple and I thought they were nice.
It seems Finnair had two variants of the -300 (the ex-AF, and the new buys).

One can also get A330-300P2F, A330-200P2F, A321P2F, and A320P2F conversions now. Good timing (neo).

Q400 is cool.

Last edited:

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
It seems Finnair had two variants of the -300 (the ex-AF, and the new buys).
Thanks I wasn't aware.
One can also get A330-300P2F, A330-200P2F, A321P2F, and A320P2F conversions now. Good timing (neo).
The market for used passenger aircraft is usually good especially with a freighter conversion. I saw somewhere that Boeing is going to start a 777BCF freighter conversion for the 777-200 and 777-200ER. The 777F is a 777-200LR with wings from the 777-300 which provide more lift. I am curious in the capacity for the 777BCF.
Correct me if I am wrong but aren't the A330 and A340 fuselage plugs the same as the A300 and A310? If so an A330P2F and A340P2F should be easy.
Q400 is cool.
I've flown on a few that Horizon Air operates and they're nice. But more airlines are going with jets because of passenger demand.
[doublepost=1535903398][/doublepost]I've been looking at the KC-46 and have some observations to make. While a step up from the KC-135 the KC-46 is only capable of carrying 212,299 lb of fuel vs 200,000 lb on the KC-135. Meanwhile the KC-10 is capable of carrying 356,000 lb of fuel but not enough were ordered. The KC-45 had a capacity of 245,000 lb of fuel but that is still less than the KC-10. In most aspects the KC-10 is superior to the KC-46 which is why I feel developing a 777F tanker is a better choice.
Multi-Role+Capabilities.jpg

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I posted this elsewhere and thought it should go here as well.
I've said from the beginning the 737-200ER based tanker was a mistake. While a step up from the KC-135 the KC-46 is only capable of carrying 212,299 lb of fuel vs 200,000 lb on the KC-135. Meanwhile the KC-10 is capable of carrying 356,000 lb of fuel but not enough were ordered. The KC-45 had a capacity of 245,000 lb of fuel but that is still less than the KC-10. My recommendation was the 777F with a fuel capacity of 320,863 lb but my letters to my congressmen went unanswered. In most aspects the KC-10 is superior to the KC-46 which is why I feel a 777F tanker is a better choice. View attachment 779230
Politics ban trap because this thread is not in PRSI.

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
It is PRSI, I won't say more.
If you won't explain things than don't even bring it up. It isn't PRSI because it is a comparison but you have some grudge against Boeing despite Airbus offering an inferior product in the contract bid.

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You keep posting PR and attempting to bring others into a political discussion. I am not responsible for the site policies.

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
You keep posting PR and attempting to bring others into a political discussion. I am not responsible for the site policies.
No I'm not so stop lying! It is you who has a grudge against Boeing yet you have absolutely no experience in the aviation industry.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I have preferences regarding what I fly. For other issues, check PRSI.

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
I have preferences regarding what I fly. For other issues, check PRSI.
Like I said don't bring things up if you refuse to explain it. I wouldn't expect you to understand due to your lack of experience in and knowledge of the aviation industry which I have spent the last 20 years in.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Complain in the Site Feedback forum if you want people to be able to freely express themselves.

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
Complain in the Site Feedback forum if you want people to be able to freely express themselves.
Like I said don't bring things up if you refuse to explain it. I wouldn't expect you to understand what I am talking about due to your lack of experience in and knowledge of the aviation industry which I have spent the last 20 years in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.