Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Pilots may now more than a computer, but that doesn't mean some couldn't fail without one.

AFAIK, the computer would not detect overspeed because it could not trust the readings and the pilot just pulled up.

As pointed out... You’re wrong. The computer did trust the readings, readings said the plane was over speeding, and as it was programmed to do in an overspeed situation pitched up in an effort to slow the plane down. It had no idea the pitot tubes were iced up. Eventually though the computer gave up, set the plane into alternate law, and overwhelmed the pilots with failure information which helped cause the pilot in the right seat forget he was pulling back on the stick.

Funny how you stated what VivaLasVegas is saying as speculation while you try to speculate FBW helped save Sully. Which again pointed out it did not.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The autopilot in Airbus disconnects when it cannot trust the airspeed readings.

The airplane did not overwhelm the pilots with warnings (but at the end the stall warning confused the junior officer).

The control methods of A320 and 737 are completely different. You cannot rule out that it played a positive role.

VivaLasVegas

Suspended
Jul 25, 2018
I'll be up all night waiting on an email so this discussion can go on as long as you want.
The email came and 5X wants to start the hiring process! Honestly I am not sure how I feel because I have been having second thoughts about the cargo pilot life.
Boeing trusts pilots. Airbus does not. Choose your airline.
The pilot is responsible for that aircraft so Boeing has the better philosophy. Most airlines in the US operate both so it wouldn't be a "choose your airline" thing as much as you think.
The image is a pair of Aviators. Yes, polarized are an issue with some displays, and coated window glass.
Thanks I looked them up. The Randolph Aviators and Raptors are nice. I'll check next time I'm on Nellis if AAFES has either pair otherwise I'll just order them online. I was never told not to wear polarized but when I flew for VX I wore a pair of polarized sunglasses I got for when I am on the boat and it was a big mistake!
I understand your view completely on FBW. I was actually attempting some humor as most threads about FBW controls end up the same no matter what forum.
Thanks for understanding sir and I apologize for not picking up on the humor! It isn't as much of an FBW issue as it is an Boeing v Airbus philosophy. As a pilot I responsible for the aircraft and all souls onboard. If something happens and the computer overrides me I am responsible for that.
Boeing’s implementation of FBW is significantly different from Airbus other than simply Yolk v Side Stick. The PIC has more authority over the FCS in a Boeing. Different control/law limitation philosophy. Personally, I have always felt Boeing’s implementation was a “
Pilots Philosophy” Airbus IMO, goes too far in removing the “Pilots Authority” leaning toward an “Atonomus Aircraft Philosophy.”
Indeed and the pilot is responsible for any mistake the computer makes. That is part of the reason I never bid for Captain at B6 although I am considering bidding Captain on the E190 if I don't take the job offer from 5X but I have applications in at AA, NK & UA as well. You're right it is more than yolk v sidestick. I actually prefer the sidestick but want it to be synchronized like Boeing's yolk to help avoid confusion. I couldn't imagine being in the back of a trainer with a student pilot and not being able to see what inputs they were making. On the T-38 this made it easier to correct the student such as "pull back more" or "a little more aileron" so it does help being able to see input. On the F-16 it's different because it is only me onboard and if I don't like what is happening I can eject and the only repercussion is the tax payers are out $20 million. On a B6 A320 that could result in the deaths of 162 passengers 2 flight crew & 4 cabin for a total of 168 souls and a $100 million aircraft. Even Boeing's FBW offerings (777 & 787) follow Boeing's philosophy and don't attempt to override the pilot. I like FBW because it is easy to fly but I don't like having to be a slave to what a computer wants to do which isn't an issue on the 777 & 787.
I usually shy away from discussions related to FBW cause and effect in incident discussion in forums. As I’m sure you realize it’s never simply a FBW “thing.” Always a chain of events leading up to an unrecoverable situation. Over the years it has been my experience that CRM between crew members is the largest factor in the majority of incidents. :apple:
You're right it's never simply a FBW "thing" but usually underlying brand loyalty to Airbus or anti-Boeing thoughts. You're right CRM is important and that is typically the determining factor in a success rate. When I do recurrent CRM helps us be successful in the simulator. In all of the recurrents I've done there was only 1 issue with CRM and it was a Captain who was a micromanager and she attempted to do everything on her own.
My ideal aircraft would have an active sidestick and active thrust leavers and follow Boeing's flight philosophy where the pilot is in ultimate control. And the tray table I want the tray table!
I think that's mainly where the middle officer in AF477 failed: CRM.
What is a middle officer? I am not familiar with that position. I wouldn't call AF447 a CRM issue.
As pointed out... You’re wrong. The computer did trust the readings, readings said the plane was over speeding, and as it was programmed to do in an overspeed situation pitched up in an effort to slow the plane down. It had no idea the pitot tubes were iced up. Eventually though the computer gave up, set the plane into alternate law, and overwhelmed the pilots with failure information which helped cause the pilot in the right seat forget he was pulling back on the stick.
Exactly!
Funny how you stated what VivaLasVegas is saying as speculation while you try to speculate FBW helped save Sully. Which again pointed out it did not.
Indeed but what I posted was not speculation as I have ditched a 737 in a simulator. Sullenberger himself said the computer prevented him from flaring to lower the rate of descent.
The autopilot in Airbus disconnects when it cannot trust the airspeed readings.
False. How about I take you to both a 737 & A320 simulator and I can show you how they differ and why the pilot needs to be in control of the aircraft and not be overridden by a computer.
The control methods of A320 and 737 are completely different. You cannot rule out that it played a positive role.
When Sullenberger himself said the computer prevented him from flaring that is enough to prove Airbus' philosophy of placing the computer in control is a bad idea. You cannot rule out that it played a negative role.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glideslope

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Flight Control Systems have been around for a long time, but this is worrisome:

Pilots struggled against Boeing’s 737 MAX control system on doomed Lion Air flight
https://www.seattletimes.com/busine...gainst-boeings-737-max-flight-control-system/

A key instrument reading on Lion Air flight JT610 was faulty even as the pilots taxied out for takeoff. As soon as the Boeing 737 MAX was airborne, the captain’s control column began to shake as a stall warning.

And from the moment they retracted the wing flaps at about 3,000 feet, the two pilots struggled — in a 10-minute tug of war — against a new anti-stall flight-control system that relentlessly pushed the jet’s nose down 26 times before they lost control.

With a mechanical failure or erratic automated control inputs, Pilots have to be able to override the system. Based on this article, I’m not clear if they had the ability to turn this anti-stall system off or correct it by simply clicking off the autopilot. My wife read an article that said there was no ability to override this system.

More info:
Pilots say they were ‘in the dark’ about Boeing’s 737 safety update
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...85fd44449f5_story.html?utm_term=.1d0a65d9f774

Boeing’s latest airliners lack a common override feature that, in some dangerous circumstances, allows pilots to reliably pull planes out of nosedives and avert crashes such as last month’s fatal plunge by Lion Air Flight 610, aeronautics experts and pilot groups say.

The state-of-the-art 737 MAX 8 airplanes do not have this feature, yet the company failed to prominently warn pilots of the change even as airlines worldwide began taking delivery of the new jets last year, pilots say.

“We were completely in the dark,” said Dennis Tajer, a 737 pilot and spokesman for the Allied Pilots Association, representing American Airlines pilots.

Last edited:

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
With a mechanical failure or erratic automated control inputs, Pilots have to be able to override the system. Based on this article, I’m not clear if they had the ability to turn this anti-stall system off or correct it by simply clicking off the autopilot. My wife read an article that said there was no ability to override this system.
“We were completely in the dark,” said Dennis Tajer, a 737 pilot and spokesman for the Allied Pilots Association, representing American Airlines pilots.

I would be shocked there is no way to turn off the auto-level.
Either by a switch, or at least by turning off the entire system.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I would be shocked there is no way to turn off the auto-level.
Either by a switch, or at least by turning off the entire system.
On the Airbus, my experience with an auto stall (preventative) system is that it was separate from the autopilot, in other words, it was still active when the autopilot was turned off and I don't remember how easily it could be turned off, or if it could be turned off, possibly by pulling CBs. :oops:

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
On the Airbus, my experience with an auto stall (preventative) system is that it was separate from the autopilot, in other words, it was still active when the autopilot was turned off and I don't remember how easily it could be turned off, or if it could be turned off, possibly by pulling CBs. :oops:

Literature on aircraft design is that ANYTHING electrical must have a way to turn it off by at least the Master Switch.
Everything after that has CB or Fuse.
This is to stop electrical fires due to short or failed device, and secondly from runaway devices

I heard another Max 8 had same issue, but crew knew how to deactivate it.
That points to lack of crew training, and possibly Boeing failing to properly inform of this feature that resulted in crew not getting the information/training.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Literature on aircraft design is that ANYTHING electrical must have a way to turn it off by at least the Master Switch.
Everything after that has CB or Fuse.
This is to stop electrical fires due to short or failed device, and secondly from runaway devices

I heard another Max 8 had same issue, but crew knew how to deactivate it.
That points to lack of crew training, and possibly Boeing failing to properly inform of this feature that resulted in crew not getting the information/training.
That sounds like what happened. There would be a circuit breaker that deactives it or something greater, but at a crucial moment, it’s not convienent to search for the right CB on a wall of CBS. On the Airbus, we were not even given stall training because the aircraft with everything working is impossible to stall. It won’t let you. As far as I can remember , there was no switch to convienently disable this system.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
That sounds like what happened. There would be a circuit breaker that deactives it or something greater, but at a crucial moment, it’s not convienent to search for the right CB on a wall of CBS. On the Airbus, we were not even given stall training because the aircraft with everything working is impossible to stall. It won’t let you. As far as I can remember , there was no switch to convienently disable this system.

Fly by wire too, so cant turn off everything...
As Kenn Ricci said, pilots are there to deal with unusual, but obviously not infallible either.

Reactions: Huntn

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
pct-20170417-1-body-01.png

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I’m not a pilot, but I do have some basic understanding of the fundamental differences between Airbus and Boeing. I find aerospace to be a very interesting topic.

It seems to me that a computerized system is fine, but pilots should have the ability to override every possible automated system in the event of system failures. While computers can perhaps fly better than a human can, if part of the system fails and the redundant systems fail, and the pilot cannot override clearly incorrect decision making by the computers, then it seems there is the potential for problems. It seems to me like a mix of automation and human input seems appropriate- one system can check the other. Presumably if the automation fails, the human can override it. If the human screws up under manual control, presumably they’d get a warning message.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’m not a pilot, but I do have some basic understanding of the fundamental differences between Airbus and Boeing. I find aerospace to be a very interesting topic.

It seems to me that a computerized system is fine, but pilots should have the ability to override every possible automated system in the event of system failures. While computers can perhaps fly better than a human can, if part of the system fails and the redundant systems fail, and the pilot cannot override clearly incorrect decision making by the computers, then it seems there is the potential for problems. It seems to me like a mix of automation and human input seems appropriate- one system can check the other. Presumably if the automation fails, the human can override it. If the human screws up under manual control, presumably they’d get a warning message.
There are several potential issues::
  • Fly by wire: pilots no longer have direct control, or minimal direct control (direct connection to the controls though mechanical linkage). Triplicate computers, and duplicate power sources are supposed to overcome worst case mechanical scenarios.
  • A flight control system that limits what pilots can do, such as rolling the airplane upside down, or stalling the plane. It’s the what is the airplane doing now syndrome? ;) There are no simple switches that turn the flight control system off, but there are CBs. But turning off the Flight Control system is not convienent and it is drastic, putting the aircraft in a very basic mode of flight with limited controls.
  • With automation pilots may become complacent, and even if not, their flying skills are reduced. Airlines encourage pilots to do a minimum of hands on flying versus clicking on the autopilot as soon as the wheels leave the Earth and just prior to returning to Earth. However these planes can do auto landings, but no one that I saw would ever use it unless the weather called for it (zero zero visibility) or a monthly check of the system was required. As late as 2013, pilots can land better than the automated system. I’m not familiar with the latest technology since I’ve retired so maybe that is changing.

Last edited:

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Old farm field flyer here. first thing you had to do was get 'em running. lol

Attachments

• Winding1.jpg
    Winding1.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 123

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Many people dream of being able to fly. As a child, I had many dreams that my bike would fly me into the sky.

There was an old radio kid program where two young characters owned an old "Red, White, and Blue" airplane. This they flew to all sorts of adventures around the world. I loved it when in each program they started up the put-put motor and flew away. Then I grew up and life's realities pushed flying to a far corner of my mind.

I lived in LA, and one morning I noted an ad in the Times for movie studio junk. Among the stuff were the T-6 "Zeros" from the movie Tora !, Tora ! Tora! . They were asking around 6K-10k each, all flyable. I heard later that some went for even less. LOL I couldn't buy then, but it planted the thought that good, old airplanes could be had really cheap.

More later as I found the "Mother Lode" of dirt cheap airplanes. Pix of our 1945 Cub in the weeds. of Michigan. LOL.
sitting cub 2 9.39.02 AM.jpg

Reactions: decafjava

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
The cost today of a "non sparkling" old airplane is about what it was when we were buying. A slightly bedraggled Cessna 150 can still be had for the price of a high end used car...And you can get your license in it.

Here's an old Ercoupe pix. These are on the market cheap, (no floats though. LOL)
b42.jpg

Reactions: decafjava
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.