Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think Apple needs to redesign the keyboard, trackpad, and other aspects of the Touchbar MBP?

• Yes

Votes: 290 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 156 35.0%

• Total voters

Queen6

macrumors G4
I am still holding out hope, while realizing it is nothing more than a “pipe dream”, for the rumored 16.whatever” redesign to the the iMac Pro type treatment. Workstation type with thicker chassis, better thermals, more reliable and completely redesigned keyboard. Even if it is to be a butterfly, blow it up Apple and start over rather than add “fixes” that only kick the can down the road. No adding a ribbed condom this time, naming it Gen. 4 and declaring it solved.

I do have to admit to missing my 17”. It was big, it was a brick, but maybe my favorite MBP to date. Well not even maybe, which is what I kept it so long while parting with newer ones. But it was getting long in the tooth and sought value in a trade while it still had some.

I do worry about the resale of the current crop, because I even my 17” the common question was about the GPU issues and whether I had had them and if so had they been addressed. I feel those questions hurt the resale value and perhaps the fact I didn’t have them and so therefore it hadn’t had a recent repair was actually worse than if I had? Dunno.

Just waiting to see, as are many others, personally not expecting much. Apple used to be judged by it's action, now it more judged by the number of class action suits and it's excuses. Apple doesn't do something radically different with the MBP soon a lot more are going to fold, as existing hardware is becoming aged.

On the business side those compelled to switch to Windows are not going to come "flocking back" they are going to watch Apple very carefully as by no means is a cheap exercise to change platforms and Windows and the associated hardware will need to be problematic in the users/business own context.

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: Painter2002

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Just waiting to see, as are many others, personally not expecting much. Apple used to be judged by it's action, now it more judged by the number of class action suits and it's excuses. Apple doesn't do something radically different with the MBP soon a lot more are going to fold, as exiting hardware is becoming aged.

On the business side those compelled to switch to Windows are not going to come "flocking back" they are going to watch Apple very carefully as by no means is a cheap exercise to change platforms and Windows and the associated hardware will need to be problematic in the users/business own context.

Q-6

I keep considering selling my iMac Pro in favor of a PC desktop. A couple of years ago this would have been inconceivable to me to do so. But after purchasing the Surface Pro 18+ months ago, I have come to really like the device and have gotten past a lot of the prejudices and notions I had from Windows from the Vista days. Now it isn’t nearly so inconceivable. I “enjoy” Windows 10 as much as it largely does what MacOS does best, which is get out of the way. I know there is a lot of MacOS loyalty, but I don’t think most of us stare at the interface and blow bubbles at it all day.

I still think the largest appeal to Apple is the eco system more than the OS itself and that’s still a hard pull at the heartstrings to try to separate from completely and suddenly. If I sell the iMac however, it would be another step back to the other side of the fence from whence I came :)

Full disclosure, I am having to boot into BootCamp more and more and that’s only going to increase in the coming years and It won’t make a lot of sense to spend a majority of time in Windows on a Mac. My hesitation is more sentimental than logical.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I keep considering selling my iMac Pro in favor of a PC desktop. A couple of years ago this would have been inconceivable to me to do so. But after purchasing the Surface Pro 18+ months ago, I have come to really like the device and have gotten past a lot of the prejudices and notions I had from Windows from the Vista days. Now it isn’t nearly so inconceivable. I “enjoy” Windows 10 as much as it largely does what MacOS does best, which is get out of the way. I know there is a lot of MacOS loyalty, but I don’t think most of us stare at the interface and blow bubbles at it all day.

I still think the largest appeal to Apple is the eco system more than the OS itself and that’s still a hard pull at the heartstrings to try to separate from completely and suddenly. If I sell the iMac however, it would be another step back to the other side of the fence from whence I came :)

Full disclosure, I am having to boot into BootCamp more and more and that’s only going to increase in the coming years and It won’t make a lot of sense to spend a majority of time in Windows on a Mac. My hesitation is more sentimental than logical.

Simply put I need to get a job done, despite my preferences. The MacBook simply doesn't cut it on multiple levels and Apple is becoming less trustworthy as a business partner. The Windows PC's don't present any issue and offer flexibility that Apple has actively killed off, for it's own greed.

Problem with Apple now is that it's all about Apple not the customer, be it the individual or a company. Barring the aesthetic the advantages the Mac once had have simply eroded. It's a crying shame really as the Mac once has so much potential, in fact five years ago had someone suggested we'd be 100% Windows I'd have laughed. Sadly Apple has actively been killing off it's professional audience, like you I didn't want to make the switch. Today my only comment is we should have done it sooner.

Today Apple just want the kudos of being associated with professionals, but not the work required to service or support them as iPhone & Services are the new golden goose. As Apple no longer prioritises the Mac, why should I prioritise Apple as a provider? Frankly it makes no sense and the Butterfly Keyboard fiasco only serves to remind of Apple lack of due diligence...

Q-6

Reactions: SDColorado

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
See here you go. You accuse ME of name calling "in a round about way" and you keep making baseless and derogatory comments about other users and accusing others of defending him or "babysitting them" while not minding your own poor behavior. Double standard at work again.

Saying that you are babysitting is a verb. I can't name call you a verb.

Queen6 doesn't need me to babysit him, nor am I or others defending his post, we are merely pointing out that you are equally guilty of making unprovable comments and baseless anecdotes.

Well apparently he/she does.

You continue to repeat that I and others "don't understand" while others keep telling you that it is YOU who don't understand. When you think everyone else is the problem and everyone keeps pointing the finger back at you, perhaps they are not the ones who lack understanding?

I'm not guilty of the same because you fundamentally don't understand what you're talking about.

These have been some of your comments regarding the keyboards extracted from posts in this thread.

"I.E. learn to type. The keyboard is far superior to the previous one."
(The you are typing on it wrong talking point)

"Idk how in the world it makes your fingers sore that makes 0 sense if you type properly."
(Because my fingers don't hurt while typing on it, nobody elses should and/or they are typing on it wrong?) Any actualy proof that typing on it "correctly" results in no finger pain for any user? Any evidence that I am typing on mine incorrectly since my fingers do in fact hurt? Am I mashing my keys? Being too gentle? Do I need to adjust my hand position? Change my angle of approach? What am I doing wrong if I am doing it wrong? Do you know? After all these years, it isn't the keyboard that is the problem, it is that I haven't embraced the changes I need to make to type on the new ones properly. Got it.

"Maybe you are literally using it wrong. You don't mash keys."
(Again the typing on it wrong talking point combined with a baseless comment about exactly HOW they are typing on it with no evidence whatsoever that this is actually the case) Do you personally know that user? Have you observed him actually mashing the keys? Is this "literally" just speculation without evidence? Or perhaps he is "literally using it exactly right" and not mashing the keys.

"I use both daily and the newer keyboard is way better. People just don’t like change."
(The people don't like change talking point. I like it so therefore everyone who doesn't must not like change) What do you actually know about how I or others who don't like the keyboard embrace change? Nothing.

"But then you go off the deep end. It's easily a better keyboard"
(So anyone who doesn't think the keyboard is better is going off the deepend? What?)

"Yea but nobody cares about your anecdotes."
Nobody meaning specifically you as you are the only one who has stated that) How many users constitutes nobody?

Yes, us developers do appreciate keyboards - hence why it's nice to have a better keyboard. The 2015 keyboard is basically like typing into a giant bowl of jello compared to the new models."
(All of us developers? Or is that the greater WE who don't like the 2015? Your own preference or are you speaking for developers as a whole? Do you actually KNOW the keyboard preferences of all developers and how many actually prefer 2016+ vs 2015 and earlier?

"I find it tiresome that people go into an Apple store (not you necessarily) and try the keyboard for 5 seconds and declare that it's inferior."

Funny, I find it tiresome that people keep claiming this to be the case.

Notice how each one of these is an opinion? When have I said that these types of opinions must be backed up by factual evidence?

Again, it is baseless and unprovable, but you keep repeating this claim despite a complete lack of facts that this is actually the case in most circumstances.

:rolleyes: Good grief. At the very least, you should understand what you're talking about. Let's start with the original message:

Certainly in my realm it's like an exodus as the 2016 design simply works against peoples real working needs, nor do many now trust Apple after well over 2 years of the current nonsense with the Butterfly that "just doesn't work" keyboard.

Some of these guy's have spent their entire career on Mac's, nor are they switching platforms out of boredom. Apple's poor design, lack of openness, trying to be different for the sake of it and failing, with a design philosophy that's best described as "stuck in the sand".

Independant professional's have the luxury of choosing their hardware, once the MBP was the weapon of choice for many, today it's just dropping off the radar and for good reason...

Q-6

Ok, and to which I said:

Any data to back this up?

Do you understand that someone can ask for data for a claim that someone is making? If someone says "in my industry everybody is from Ford to Chevy" that's not an opinion like saying "I think the keyboard is better/worse". I don't know how much more obvious this can be without questioning your intent.

Then OP replied with an anecdote. Ok great. But I didn't ask for, and still don't care about what that person's anecdote is because it's completely irrelevant to the question posed.

In any sort of discourse between people, when someone makes a factual claim, that claim can be challenged and people can ask for more data or supporting evidence. It was a pretty innocuous question because my own anecdote is that the keyboard change is a non-factor. My firm (Fortune 20/25 or something) and a huge purchaser of MacBook Pros made absolutely 0 change, and nobody I know that has one has complained about it. But that's not supporting data and nobody gives a crap about that anecdote. Unless you want to say it is, then sure I guess that means people like they keyboard because my number of samples is in the thousands and the OP's is in the 100s.

It would be my guess that you have actually observed fewer people spend 5 seconds and declare a keyboard inferior than Queen6 has observed professionals leaving Mac for PC in his industry which requires absolute reliability and no option for downtime due to the remote and unfriendly climates he sometimes has to work under. But I can't prove that either.

"Then it seems like they've had a Mac for all the wrong reasons. If a keyboard redesign means you completely switch your workflow, I think that says a lot about your workflow, or priorities."

You know absolutely nothing about another person's reasons for purchasing a Mac, zero, nada. Let alone someone else's workflow or priorities. So why do you even pretend or assume that you do?

I don't need to in order to question what they've said. If your workflow is more dependent on a laptop keyboard than the tools you use, I don't even know what to tell you because it's so blatantly ridiculous. You think someone who uses Final Cut Pro is going to sell their Mac equipment, not renew their license, and then go buy a Windows machine and learn to use new software and create new workflows all because of a keyboard? The worst case is you can use a Bluetooth keyboard most of the time for $20. The workflows are far more important than a keyboard. Business is done with software.

Again, I am not trying to babysit or defend Queen6's comment, because I have no idea how accurate his statement is or is not. But neither do you. Thats a fact. Nor do you have any idea of anyone elses reasons for buying, the motives for having done so or their workflows.

You are defending Queen6's comment and you've been doing so for a while now, and it's unfortunate because you don't understand that you don't need to judge the accuracy of his/her statement - we can ask for supporting data for a factual claim and that supports their statement.

You clearly don't agree with the premise of the thread and it obvious.

This is what you have become confused about, I think. You can't separate my like for the new keyboard style from the discussion that was had asking for data to support a factual claim. I can not like the premise of the thread, but that's completely and unequivocally irrelevant. I am not asking for facts to back up an opinion on the keyboard, Queen6 didn't give an opinion on the keyboard in the statement that I asked for supporting evidence for.

The question is do you now understand why I and others believe it is you who doesn't understand? :)

I understand that you're either confused or disingenuous.

But again, it is clear you just want to debate and have the last word, so feel free.

I don't care about "getting the last word". If you say something I may or may not feel like responding to it. Even mentioning something like this as motivation is immature. I guess you just want to get the last word? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA

Is this really all that new for Apple. Outside of a few very specific industries Apple was never a major player in the "professional" space. This has long been dominated by Microsoft via Windows. PC makers have always outsold Apple and have actually business friendly support options. For instance, Lenovo (via IBM) can have repair technicians and parts on site for business client warranty needs in hours not days or weeks.

Where Apple is focusing their attention Mac wise may be aligning them with a slightly different demographic than they previously were aligned with, but I'm more inclined to believe their demographic is changing quite a lot. Add that onto the reality that everyone is trying to figure out what the future of computing is and you'll see a lot of unsettling changes with many players appearing to drop their most ardent supporters.

It is true that mobile is driving a lot of Apple's thinking, but this is true for the entire computing industry. All of the growth is in mobile so pretty much all new software development is focused on mobile computing as the first, and often, only platform.

Just as much as you appear frustrated with Apple. I'm frustrated with Microsoft. I switched my laptop from a Lenovo T520 to a MBP 2018 in my latest hardware upgrade cycle mainly due to how far Microsoft has allowed Windows to slip (including its focus on delivering updates with very little value to professionals). I'm a C# developer with an immense amount of skills in the Microsoft space and Apple doesn't offer enough for me to actually replace Windows or Microsoft. But for some areas Apple made for a great choice. As macOS has become a defacto standard for developers due to access to the wider *nix tool chain that Microsoft is trying to get into Windows with things such as the Windows Subsystem for Linux. As Apple may be losing digital imaging professionals, for instance, they may be gaining software professionals. It is quite possible that is preventing a net loss in sales for them. It is quite possible they aren't losing digital imagine pros at all and are losing some other mac professional demographic and gaining in another one.

We're standing on shifting grounds and it will probably be another 10 years or so before we really have a solid idea of where "Desktop" operating systems and their auxiliary devices will end up. There is still a strong possibility they won't exist by then at all...

Last edited:

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
We're standing on shifting grounds and it will probably be another 10 years or so before we really have a solid idea of where "Desktop" operating systems and their auxiliary devices will end up. There is still a strong possibility they won't exist by then at all...
I think if you really look at the bigger picture, all of this is nothing new. The computer industry always sways, with someone designing a better machine that attracts more users, or designing one that sends people packing.

However I don’t think “desktop” machines are really going to go anywhere in the next 10 years. Slight decline, most definitely. But there are many factors for desktop solutions that today’s portable computers can’t accommodate for, namely heat. Even non-Apple brands struggle with it (Razor lineup being an example). Unless we get a breakthrough in better processors with cooler running temps, or some magical cooling mechanic for the chips themselves, I don’t see desktop solutions going anywhere anytime soon. You have to consider where a lot of technology is going with VR and AR, those really require a desktop solution for developers. Even video editing in 4K (or 8k or whatever the heck is next) will be better suited in a cooler running desktop than a laptop.

I actually see a somewhat different trend. I see us going more towards a laptop/tablet mix, with professionals combining that with a desktop solution for their daily work. Even my company switched from providing some employees with laptops to surface tablets instead. Personally I think a desktops are going to start shining again as people need more power that laptops simply can’t provide today.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I actually see a somewhat different trend. I see us going more towards a laptop/tablet mix, with professionals combining that with a desktop solution for their daily work. Even my company switched from providing some employees with laptops to surface tablets instead. Personally I think a desktops are going to start shining again as people need more power that laptops simply can’t provide today.

It’s hard to gauge tablet sales isn’t it. Industry wide they have been in decline for years, though Apple has shown some consistent if not slow growth. Huawei the biggest performer lately, though still a relatively small market share compared to Apple. But are we seeing signs that the tablet fad is ending? Or is there just a new innovation in design needed to spark the market?

196c7fe8cca4f7e99dad81ad183d19c0.jpg

Apparently, it or at least according to ZDnet, it has been 2-1 sales that have been carrying a sinking PC market.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zd...ces-to-carry-a-sinking-pc-market-in-2018-idc/

Is it the 2-1 that Apple refuses to build that the market greatly wants? I would have thought if anyone could have done a 2-1 right it would have been Apple, but they don’t seem to be inclined. Perhaps if slowing tablet sales eventually reach Apple they will reconsider that stance?

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
I think if you really look at the bigger picture, all of this is nothing new. The computer industry always sways, with someone designing a better machine that attracts more users, or designing one that sends people packing.

However I don’t think “desktop” machines are really going to go anywhere in the next 10 years. Slight decline, most definitely. But there are many factors for desktop solutions that today’s portable computers can’t accommodate for, namely heat. Even non-Apple brands struggle with it (Razor lineup being an example). Unless we get a breakthrough in better processors with cooler running temps, or some magical cooling mechanic for the chips themselves, I don’t see desktop solutions going anywhere anytime soon. You have to consider where a lot of technology is going with VR and AR, those really require a desktop solution for developers. Even video editing in 4K (or 8k or whatever the heck is next) will be better suited in a cooler running desktop than a laptop.

I think the key developments to watch out for are things like Thunderbolt 3/USB4 (and the successors) which may help to make computing a lot more modular that it has been to date. I see that as offering us a future where the lines become a lot more blurry and Desktops as we know them may fade into obscurity. What won't fade is a place with more computing power than you'd get in a portable fashion being in a fixed location.

To be a bit clearer a potential setup I could see becoming realistic in the future (especially if traditional computing moves to ARM as some are predicting). You bring your portable in and plug into a modular docking station that then allows your machine access to eGPU functionality, vast storage, and even more RAM and compute power while docked. I see that docking expanding what we have access to now via existing eGPU and external storage options. In the future, it may be powered purely by your phone and truly seamless.

As I/O bandwidth continues to rise we're going to see a lot of reimagining of what computing looks like.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Price has nothing to do with “best” objectively. The “best” is simply a measure of all the perfomance, features and quality aspects of a product (among other things that could be listed). In automobiles, the best Sedan will probably cost you $100,000 or more, the best value may be for $40,000 with many of the Best’s features, but not as high quality in fit, performance or finish. Laptops are the same. The best is usually not the best value in most people’s eyes.So being an excellent value does not make a Windows laptop the best. And honestly, similarly spec’ed, they are really any better value.

Ummm windows are better spec and better value ....

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yea but worse operating system (imo) and second-class citizen for data science teams and other software engineering positions. Not all, of course.

Still much better for some data science tasks than a Mac. Data science training of Deep NN needs GPU acceleration, specifically Nivdia's CUDA GPUs. A 6 to 10X decrease in time to train models can mean a lot more experimentation during the same amount of time.

And if you don't want Windows on your systems, you can always run a Linux Distro on your Windows Notebook and get access to that Nvidia GPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Still much better for some data science tasks than a Mac. Data science training of Deep NN needs GPU acceleration, specifically Nivdia's CUDA GPUs. A 6 to 10X decrease in time to train models can mean a lot more experimentation during the same amount of time.

Yes which is why those are done on AWS or some other cost effective manner. Nobody I've ever met in the ml community buys a Windows desktop and puts Nvidia GPUs in it. How would you deploy? Why would you not build pipelines?

Besides, I don't have time to wait for people to make things available for Windows a few months after it's released for macOS and Linux. Software such as Caffe2 only support Windows as an afterthought or if it is supported it's usually not very well supported. I think TF took a good 6 months or a year or something if it even does support Windows? I guess you can just buy a Windows laptop and then use TF on AWS or something, but buying a desktop and putting GPUs in it would be something a hobbyists would do (which is fine).

And if you don't want Windows on your systems, you can always run a Linux Distro on your Windows Notebook and get access to that Nvidia GPU.

Yea which is the worst-case scenario. But I got tired of always having to screw around with Linux to get stuff to work (drivers, random dumb hardware issues, etc.). I'm sure it's gotten better and better over time, but the issues still persist. That's why the macOS platform is good.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yes which is why those are done on AWS or some other cost effective manner. Nobody I've ever met in the ml community buys a Windows desktop and puts Nvidia GPUs in it. How would you deploy? Why would you not build pipelines?

Besides, I don't have time to wait for people to make things available for Windows a few months after it's released for macOS and Linux. Software such as Caffe2 only support Windows as an afterthought or if it is supported it's usually not very well supported. I think TF took a good 6 months or a year or something if it even does support Windows? I guess you can just buy a Windows laptop and then use TF on AWS or something, but buying a desktop and putting GPUs in it would be something a hobbyists would do (which is fine).

I don't have experience with Caffe, but spend all day on TensorFlow on a Windows system with an RTX 2070. I do my playing around an experimentation on it. Sometimes my models do not work out and the training effort is wasted. Better to do that on a $0.0/min desktop than on AWS, Azure, or GCS where you pay by the minute.

Only when I am comfortable with the my models, data source, data cleaning, inferencing, etc. do I push to the servers. This all professional work.

Yea which is the worst-case scenario. But I got tired of always having to screw around with Linux to get stuff to work (drivers, random dumb hardware issues, etc.). I'm sure it's gotten better and better over time, but the issues still persist. That's why the macOS platform is good.

We are going to disagree here. You don't run MacOS on a AWS, Azure, or GCS. You run a Linux distro. You do not use an installer like Brew. You use regular old PIP, apt, etc. And you need to be able to handle issues that arise in full Linux distros without the tools available in Mac OS.

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2008
I've used Macs since 2007 and have had numerous since, including the coveted Mid-2012 MBP. I totally understand and empathise with people's concerns as a vintage Apple collector, but I upgraded to a fully loaded 15" MBP in 2017 and completely love it. I feel like it's a massive upgrade; the keyboard, trackpad are both excellent, and the screen is simply gorgeous. The only downsides are the inconvenience of USB-C and lack of Magsafe, but I have no desire to go back to the old design. Know I'm in the minority but it's how I feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
I don't have experience with Caffe, but spend all day on TensorFlow on a Windows system with an RTX 2070. I do my playing around an experimentation on it. Sometimes my models do not work out and the training effort is wasted. Better to do that on a $0.0/min desktop than on AWS, Azure, or GCS where you pay by the minute.

Only when I am comfortable with the my models, data source, data cleaning, inferencing, etc. do I push to the servers. This all professional work.

Well you did spend money on the desktop, and even so I'd rather have larger compute resources that are cheaper, aren't subject to a single machine, and can be easily replicated. I don't really see any argument other than maybe cost (and that's a stretch) to justify building your own machines to do any sort of professional data science work. Not to mention the size of the datasets and just a host of all sorts of things.

Now, I'm not questioning your work or anything like that, but the scenario you're describing is just extremely uncommon in my experience in the industry.

Not to mention poor generally poor Windows support for just about everything.

We are going to disagree here. You don't run MacOS on a AWS, Azure, or GCS. You run a Linux distro. You do not use an installer like Brew. You use regular old PIP, apt, etc. And you need to be able to handle issues that arise in full Linux distros without the tools available in Mac OS.

Well duh. I wasn't saying you get a Mac to get on AWS CLI or something. What I'm saying is using a cheap Windows laptop with Linux installed on it is not worth the hassle. I value my time highly so if I spend 5 minutes screwing with some driver issue (not to mention corporate won't give anybody a Linux laptop because you can't maintain a fleet of them effectively) then that's like $100 worth of my time wasted.
[doublepost=1552431213][/doublepost]
I've used Macs since 2007 and have had numerous since, including the coveted Mid-2012 MBP. I totally understand and empathise with people's concerns as a vintage Apple collector, but I upgraded to a fully loaded 15" MBP in 2017 and completely love it. I feel like it's a massive upgrade; the keyboard, trackpad are both excellent, and the screen is simply gorgeous. The only downsides are the inconvenience of USB-C and lack of Magsafe, but I have no desire to go back to the old design. Know I'm in the minority but it's how I feel.

It's ok. We can sit in our own corner and scoff at all the mainstream people. :p

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I totally understand and empathise with people's concerns as a vintage Apple collector, but I upgraded to a fully loaded 15" MBP in 2017 and completely love it. I feel like it's a massive upgrade; the keyboard, trackpad are both excellent, and the screen is simply gorgeous.
If you love it, that's all that matters, hopefully the keyboard doesn't incur a failure. I wholeheartedly agree with trackpad and screen. Apple typically hits it out of the park with those, though retina is getting a bit long in the tooth with everyone surpassing that resolution with 4k. The brightness of the MBP's display is I think industry leading, its one of the best as is color accuracy.

I think there's been too many sacrifices made in the design, in the name of thinness that has detracted from what was previously successful laptops. The addition is the touchbar is a solution looking for a problem. Many people including myself missed the function keys that were removed.

Overall, I didn't think the MBP is a bad laptop, but there are some poor design choices imo that have come back to bite Apple in the behind.

It's ok. We can sit in our own corner and scoff at all the mainstream people. :p
Think different ;)
upload_2019-3-13_6-40-58.png

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2008
If you love it, that's all that matters, hopefully the keyboard doesn't incur a failure. I wholeheartedly agree with trackpad and screen. Apple typically hits it out of the park with those, though retina is getting a bit long in the tooth with everyone surpassing that resolution with 4k. The brightness of the MBP's display is I think industry leading, its one of the best as is color accuracy.

I think there's been too many sacrifices made in the design, in the name of thinness that has detracted from what was previously successful laptops. The addition is the touchbar is a solution looking for a problem. Many people including myself missed the function keys that were removed.

Overall, I didn't think the MBP is a bad laptop, but there are some poor design choices imo that have come back to bite Apple in the behind.
View attachment 826128
Don't get me wrong, I totally hated the redesign (especially the keyboard) and Apple's general approach towards the MacBook Pro – until I got one, and realised how many boxes it ticked for me. For example, as I travel a lot, the thinner/lighter it is the better. The laptop's not perfect and it's an inconvenience when I need a myriad of I/O for something, but I guess it depends on the regular needs of the individual, and what matters most.

Regarding the keyboard, my job involves tons of writing, and whilst the keyboard is certainly flawed durability-wise; indeed, my MBP keyboard has had to be replaced; the redesign's highs (and the free top case replacement/compensation from Apple) balances out the perceived setbacks for me. Whenever I go back to my old 11" MBA, I have a hard time adjusting to the spongier feel of the old keyboard.

If Apple aren't going to go with the one-size-fits-all approach of their old machines, I would like to see them at least more customisable so that consumers, particularly in the "pro" market, can get a setup that works for them. Unlikely, but would be great to see in the next redesign.

Reactions: matram and afir93

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
So, I posted this thread a while ago, and here I am, 9 months later, typing on the same Space Grey 2017 15" MacBook Pro. All of my original complaints hold true for me still.

The keyboard on this thing just sucks. I haven't gotten used to it. I'm going to be leaving this at work plugged into a monitor and just using older MacBook Pros with the better keyboard and trackpad.

Martius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
So, I posted this thread a while ago, and here I am, 9 months later, typing on the same Space Grey 2017 15" MacBook Pro. All of my original complaints hold true for me still.

The keyboard on this thing just sucks. I haven't gotten used to it. I'm going to be leaving this at work plugged into a monitor and just using older MacBook Pros with the better keyboard and trackpad.

I think with the recent release of iMac there is a clear statement from Apple: we don't really care! Don't get me wrong, iMac is a beautiful product and the design is timeless. I don't care about thin bezels or thin body (they should stick with that previous thicker design and focus more on cooling / thermal issues), but the fact you pay like 3000eur and still get 8gb RAM / 1-2TB Fusion drive (which for me is just a little faster HDD) is clearly a slap in the face of the customer. Paying 700eur for a 1TB SSD when you can get Samsung 970 EVO for 250eur is a pure non-sense.

And same applies for MBP. They might launch 2019 spec bump and in 2020 a redesigned one. I don't think they will be taking any action to save the value of 2016 / 2017 models. I don't think they will try to start over with the 2015 model and really think about every mistake they made with 2016+ models. Not with this CEO, not with this management team.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Every time I use a Magic Keyboard I curse Apple that they couldn't just have fitted this thing in to their current laptops.

Reactions: booksbooks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

At some point you need to decide whether to live with it, or cut bait and move on. I chose the latter, mostly because the 2018 model was incurring keyboard failures and it appears that model year is not part of the repair program [yet]

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2008
Your suspicion is wrong. While there have been problems with the keyboard; for the most part users like the product. To verify this, all you have to do is look at the various reviews listed on retailers sites such as Amazon, Best Buy, B&H, New Egg, and others. The vast majority of people love their new MacBooks.

The Touch Bar is polarizing because people don't like change. The fact is that you can change the touch bar to simply display the function keys if you don't want it to be interactive. Your comments about using it are the exact same comments that people made 30 years ago when the mouse came out: don't want to take eyes off screen, would rather use keyboard shortcuts, etc.

I continue to be amazed at all the armchair product developers who simply think they know better than the professionals doing their jobs.

Emergency Redesign Needed....

ha!
[doublepost=1540239854][/doublepost]

Tell that to the thousands of people whose Windows machines die each and every time Windows does one of their quarterly updates. Windows 10 is *NO WHERE* near the OS that MacOS is.
[doublepost=1540239948][/doublepost]

Sarcasm much??
[doublepost=1540240361][/doublepost]
What QC data?
[doublepost=1540240769][/doublepost]

Actually, its you who have no data to support your opinions. Your poll has fewer than 250 people responding out of the millions of rMBPs sold in the past two years. Roughly three million are sold per quarter (statista.com). Who statistical percentage complain of your issues????? .001%?

Don't devalue his opinion because it conflicts with yours.
[doublepost=1540240811][/doublepost]

Agreed!!!!

Great post!

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I personally like my 2017 15" MBP but I do agree with some of your points.

I've basically disabled the adaptive nature of the Touchbar because having "keyboard" input that constantly changes is just distracting, not helpful at all. I would happily repurchase this computer without the touchbar. I will say I do appreciate being able to customize the function keys that I use most often. Losing the physical esc key is annoying but I'm living with it for now. Remapping to capslock does not work when you need to use more than one computer/keyboard regularly.

The trackpad is so annoyingly big. I get false inputs while typing. There is absolutely no benefit to the trackpad being this big and when I switch back to my 2015 15" MBP for work I don't miss even a little bit, the larger trackpad. The previous size was fine.

I've had no issues with battery life and I'm actually ok with the keyboard (until it breaks).

Reactions: ugru

booksbooks

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
I personally like my 2017 15" MBP but I do agree with some of your points.

I've basically disabled the adaptive nature of the Touchbar because having "keyboard" input that constantly changes is just distracting, not helpful at all. I would happily repurchase this computer without the touchbar. I will say I do appreciate being able to customize the function keys that I use most often. Losing the physical esc key is annoying but I'm living with it for now. Remapping to capslock does not work when you need to use more than one computer/keyboard regularly.

The trackpad is so annoyingly big. I get false inputs while typing. There is absolutely no benefit to the trackpad being this big and when I switch back to my 2015 15" MBP for work I don't miss even a little bit, the larger trackpad. The previous size was fine.

I've had no issues with battery life and I'm actually ok with the keyboard (until it breaks).

And here we have it. Your post speaks volumes. As you say when you switch to your 2015 MBP for work... because that device gets things done. This new MBP Pro is a comedy of errors. The trackpad is simply too big as you say to the point where it's diminishing returns.
[doublepost=1553271478][/doublepost]
Your suspicion is wrong. While there have been problems with the keyboard; for the most part users like the product. To verify this, all you have to do is look at the various reviews listed on retailers sites such as Amazon, Best Buy, B&H, New Egg, and others. The vast majority of people love their new MacBooks.

The Touch Bar is polarizing because people don't like change. The fact is that you can change the touch bar to simply display the function keys if you don't want it to be interactive. Your comments about using it are the exact same comments that people made 30 years ago when the mouse came out: don't want to take eyes off screen, would rather use keyboard shortcuts, etc.

I continue to be amazed at all the armchair product developers who simply think they know better than the professionals doing their jobs.

Emergency Redesign Needed....

ha!

What evidence do you have that "for the most part users like the product"? You don't have Apple product return data. You don't cite data to support your position. In fact, the poll here shows significantly more people agree that a redesign is in order vs those who don't.

I also went over to Amazon and read some reviews of the latest MacBook Pro. The very first review, which has the most upvotes, is a critical review that cites three major issues: touchbar being a gimmick, the trackpad being too big, and the keyboard. Reading more reviews, these things are mentioned here and there as well. Some of the positive reviews... I checked out some of the people and some of them seem like astroturfers.

The Touch Bar is NOT polarizing because people don't like change. There is no evidence for that. The evidence for people not liking the Touch Bar is because it's superfluous to the interface. That means that it's duplicating things that are already available on the screen within the application, and in such a way where it's inefficient (FITTS principle) because the User has to look down at the keyboard, look for the button they want on the Touch Bar, then move their fingers to hit that target that has no haptic feedback. Then look back at the screen. It's faster to simply use keyboard commands or use the user interface of the application itself. E.g., Command+B for bold text, or clicking the B button in the format bar, etc. Also trackpad gestures are available.

Then we have how the Touch Bar with its lack of haptic feedback makes basic things like changing volume, etc. more difficult than physical buttons.

By the way, I am a software professional and study human computer interfaces, including having managed and developed consumer software for the Mac and iOS, along with enterprise applications.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.