Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falcon80

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Apple is ok with sending me a second one without me sending them the old one back before I can compare them.
I'll compare them side by side if there is a difference in fan noise.

Wow.. That's really nice of them. :)

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Another few tests for you: encoding a 4K HEVC video with Handbrake, my i5 7600K draws ~55 W, the CPU temperature is stable at around 88 degrees, and the fan stays at its idle 1200 rpm. Lightroom export runs a little bit cooler than Handbrake. I can play Diablo 3 on maximum settings and the fans spun up to no more than 1800 rpm (often at idle 1200 rpm).

The ambient temperature has dropped a little (23 degrees), so even under Prime95 load the fans are at 2200 – 2400 rpm.

Prime95 is known to stress the CPU to its maximum ability, so for many people, Handbrake and Lightroom are better real-world tests. For people whose workloads involve a lot of pure number-crunching, you'll see numbers more like what Prime95 gives.

Unless you're seriously pushing the machine, the i5 iMac should stay whisper quiet. It would be interesting to see similar numbers for the i7...

Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon80

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Another few tests for you: encoding a 4K HEVC video with Handbrake, my i5 7600K draws ~55 W, the CPU temperature is stable at around 88 degrees, and the fan stays at its idle 1200 rpm. Lightroom export runs a little bit cooler than Handbrake. I can play Diablo 3 on maximum settings and the fans spun up to no more than 1800 rpm (often at idle 1200 rpm).

The ambient temperature has dropped a little (23 degrees), so even under Prime95 load the fans are at 2200 – 2400 rpm.

Prime95 is known to stress the CPU to its maximum ability, so for many people, Handbrake and Lightroom are better real-world tests. For people whose workloads involve a lot of pure number-crunching, you'll see numbers more like what Prime95 gives.

Unless you're seriously pushing the machine, the i5 iMac should stay whisper quiet. It would be interesting to see similar numbers for the i7...
May I ask you to test something specific with Lightroom?
1) batch RAW processing (preview generation), probably 15 minutes or more
2) high megapixel RAW adjustment in develop module, full screen on 5K
These 2 tasks have been the most usual performance bottlenecks for previous generations of 5K iMacs
If the i5-7600k can handle these without firing fans noisily then I am going to place an order basing on that right away.

Falcon80

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012

Hope someone can help do similar test for the i7. :)

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Hope someone can help do similar test for the i7. :)

My guess from reviews of the chips themselves is that under a load such as Handbrake, the fan will run at maximum rpm and the CPU might throttle a bit. This has been more or less the case for the previous generations. I'll be very surprised if the i7 can handle Prime95 without throttling, because the i5 is on the borderline.

The i5 stays wonderfully quiet under a realistic load, but there's not a lot of thermal headroom at low fan speeds.

Reactions: pier

Nazmor

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2013

[doublepost=1497954394][/doublepost]At what maximum resolution can you play Diablo 3 to get stable 60 fps?Could you please check it in busy areas like rifts? Also do you play Diablo 3 in bootcamp or macOS?

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
[doublepost=1497954394][/doublepost]At what maximum resolution can you play Diablo 3 to get stable 60 fps?Could you please check it in busy areas like rifts? Also do you play Diablo 3 in bootcamp or macOS?

That was under macOS at 5K resolution (everything maxed except AA off). I haven't played much so haven't got to anything super intense yet, but framerates were ~45 fps. Comfortably smooth for me.

I guess you'll have to lower settings a bit to get 60 fps everywhere, even in Windows. But I'm not really the person to ask about gaming benchmarks. You can probably play every game that's out right now at high settings in 1440p (which still looks great). It's pretty fast. The Radeon Pro 580 is an underclocked RX580.

If this level of gaming performance has you uncertain about a purchase, perhaps you should be building a gaming PC...

jayfromnova

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2017
Northern Virginia
That was under macOS at 5K resolution (everything maxed except AA off). I haven't played much so haven't got to anything super intense yet, but framerates were ~45 fps. Comfortably smooth for me.

I guess you'll have to lower settings a bit to get 60 fps everywhere, even in Windows. But I'm not really the person to ask about gaming benchmarks. You can probably play every game that's out right now at high settings in 1440p (which still looks great). It's pretty fast. The Radeon Pro 580 is an underclocked RX580.

If this level of gaming performance has you uncertain about a purchase, perhaps you should be building a gaming PC...
Moriarty,

Which i5 processor do you have? If you posted it, I missed it.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
I have heard that on the 2015 5K, especially top spec model, these issues are all gone, probably due to extra power in hardware that gave enough headroom for LR to breathe, or that Adobe has done some work on their code. If you are truly concerned then you may want to wait out the iMac 2017 LR user reports to be extra sure. On paper, even the base model i5 and RX570 are already pretty much on par with top spec'd 2015.

Very helpful, thanks. I have actually heard from a few owners of the 2015 iMacs that they don't have this problem in LR, so it does seem probable that the 2017s wouldn't—especially the i7.

I'm not in a particular hurry so I guess I'll wait for those LR reports. But I'm also keen to know about the noise level for the i7, because of the audio/Screenflow recording I do.

Nazmor

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2013

Thanks a lot, I wouldn't complain as I play Diablo 3 on MacBook 12 1280x800 30fps :). I am actually considering 575 with locked i5 which is 65W and it should help with fan noise and still hopefully be only around 15% slower. I wish someone with 575 and i5 could check diablo3 5k no AA frame rate so we could compare it with your 580. You mentioned that fan runs 1800rpm in diablo, is it constant fan speed or just short time peak, how anoying is it comparing to idle fan speed noise?

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
But just to be clear, the fan noise is identical in the 2015 and 2017 model right? .

No. In any case, even the same models could source slightly different components and each fan has it's own specific tune even if rated the same.

macdoofus

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
There is a single fan in the 2017 models (21.5" and 27"). Three fans in the prior years iMac's, per the 2017 IFIXIT and OWC teardowns.

nexesnex

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Hi all. I just opened my new i7. I haven't pushed the thing to the max yet (just ran some camtasia editing and exporting). So far, the machine has been pin-drop silent. I'm really pleased I got the i7! I was concerned reading posts about the sound, but so far all I hear is nothing :)

Reactions: cmbarclay

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Hi all. I just opened my new i7. I haven't pushed the thing to the max yet (just ran some camtasia editing and exporting). So far, the machine has been pin-drop silent. I'm really pleased I got the i7! I was concerned reading posts about the sound, but so far all I hear is nothing :)

Trust me, people are way overblowing this fan noise with the i5 and i7. Im glad your machine is dead silent though! :D

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
The fear of noise level may have been paranoia, but the i7 getting hot much sooner is still a fact. There may be use cases where the fans kick in a alot less frequently with an i5 over an i7.

Reactions: macsplusmacs

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
The fear of noise level may have been paranoia, but the i7 getting hot much sooner is still a fact. There may be use cases where the fans kick in a alot less frequently with an i5 over an i7.

Of course its going to get hot sooner due to the higher clock speeds and hyper threading I mean its a given.

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016

Same here. New 21.5" i7, haven't particularly stressed it yet, but "pin-drop" silent describes it perfectly.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Of course its going to get hot sooner due to the higher clock speeds and hyper threading I mean its a given.
You can say it is a given, it is similar on i7 MBPs where battery performance is generally worse than the stock i5, but you make do with higher potential throughput. I guess some buyers of the new i7 iMac were just caught off-guard, perhaps they had experiences with lesser iMac models where heat was relatively less of an issue, where this time with Kaby lake 7700K and an RX580 it is simply a heater combo. But in this view, if the fans (at the same RPM) are indeed noisier than the past then we do have a legit case here.

I am personally split on which iMac to buy myself, investing top spec on an AIO is itself an oxymoron already. And if it is also disturbingly noisy then going for a mid-tier option makes more financial sense and ergonomic sense if I am going to replace it with the eventual modular Mac Pro.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
+1.

Core i7 7700K 27" with 1 TB SSD and Radeon Pro 580 - Pin drop silent!

PIn fact, it's quieter than my Core i7 870 27", beside it. If I put my ear up to the top of the i7 870 I can hear a faint whirr but otherwise I can't hear it at normal seating distance. If I put my ear up to the top of the i7 7700K I hear absolutely nothing. If I put my ear up to the bottom of the i7 7700k I can barely make out a slight whirr.

Note that this is just with light usage, but that is what I really I care about. It should be silent at idle and with light office applications. I fully expect the fan to ramp up if I'm say encoding h.265 in software but that's fine.

I do wonder though if the storage has anything to do with it. I do not have a platter drive. I have an SSD. Surely an SSD alone would be cooler than a HD alone or an HD + SSD in a Fusion drive.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
No. In any case, even the same models could source slightly different components and each fan has it's own specific tune even if rated the same.
What is the proof that 1200 rpm in 2017 model is more noisy than the 2015 model? I haven't seen any.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
So I got the fans to rev up in the 27" with 7700K by trying to play a Sony 10-bit HEVC 4K 60 fps video using only software decode. The 7700K couldn't even play it smoothly, and the CPU usage went up 650%, and shortly afterwards the fans went into loud mode.

Then I turned off the video and the fans went back to silent after about 15 seconds or so.

Interestingly, playing back 4K 30 fps VP9 material in YouTube with Chrome using pure software decode was fine. CPU spikes were in the 200%+ range, yet the fans stayed silent. (VP9 decode is not as demanding as HEVC decode.)

I suspect the i5-7500 would have been quieter trying to play the 10-bit HEVC Sony file but I also suspect the playback would have been much, much worse too, so it's a big tradeoff. Fortunately though, these files can likely be played through hardware acceleration on these 2017 machines at some future date, once High Sierra has been released and the appropriate software is available to do hardware HEVC 10-bit decode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.