Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Very nice research. I'll use my newordered iMac for musicproduction aswell, and ordered an i7 with the 575 GPU instead of 580. I saved about 100€ and hopefully a few lower degrees of temp inside the computer... or maybe not. Will do a report on that when the computer gets here.
At low GPU usage, the GPU remains relatively low power. And for your usage, any ramp ups would come from the CPU. So, I don't think going to the 575 instead of the 580 helps you in any way from a technical standpoint. It is nice to save the 100€ though.

BTW, I don't need the 580 either, but I just got it anyway since it was only a CAD$84 (56€) price premium in my case, and it comes with twice the memory. I have no intent for 3D or VR, but that may change if Apple releases a killer VR application, and for 56€ I figured why not.

Huginnmuninn

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
The 7700K is also somewhat faster than the i5 models for Lightroom, but on average, less than 10% faster than the fastest i5.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...i7-7700K-i5-7600K-Performance-880/#Conclusion

pic_disp.php

This is very useful information to me. I might just choose i5 and use the savings toward a bigger internal SSD option.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
I do a lot of video conversion. My current Mac 2009 6c 3,33 Ghz is silent. Will the iMac 4c 4,2 Ghz with Radeon 580 Pro be a lot noisier? How many rpm?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I do a lot of video conversion. My current Mac 2009 6c 3,33 Ghz is silent. Will the iMac 4c 4,2 Ghz with Radeon 580 Pro be a lot noisier? How many rpm?
2700 rpm, moderate loudness.

Which CPU? You may not gain that much speed.

Edit:

Ah. W3680. I'm not convinced you'd be impressed by the video encoding speed increase but I'm guessing. Would that be your main usage?

Last edited:

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Current CPU is a 3,33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon W3680 indeed.
I am looking forward to the fastest iMac. I wonder whether the video conversion will be a lot faster. I do not often play games, but I do a lot of video work. However, if the Mac would be too noisy, i'll wait for the new Mac Pro.
2700 rmp is too much, on my current MacPro even 2000 rmp is too noisy. But I don't get this with video conversion now.

benz240

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008
I am glad I read this thread before making a purchasing decision. Was going to go for the i7 but now that I know the minimal performance difference and the quite substantial noise/heat difference, the i5 is the best choice for me and probably most people.

Reactions: Falcon80

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I just received my new iMac 27 i7 with the 8 gb gpu 1 tb ssd. The first thing I did was to remove the stock ram and throw in 32 gigs of CL14 Kingston RAM.

I was initially worried about the comments in here regarding fan noise. The first day of ownership I imported 50 gigs of photos into the photos app, set up the computer and my web accounts, tested this and that, created users accounts, copied my archive files into the machine from an external disk and so forth. I also enabled encyption on the entire iMac ssd disk. During this my iMac was making noise like crazy, but after the imports were done and I finished "setting it up"it has been more or less dead quiet, and I have heard no noise at all. I can hear a very very faint steady fan noise, but I really have to listen closely in order no hear it.

I would not worry at all about getting the i7 and the 8gb gpu. During normal use (like browsing, watching watching high res photos and stuff it is close to dead silent) and in the background its still encrypting like crazy now but with no noise at all.

I think people are overanalyzing this - just get the i7 with the 8 gb gpu - thats my warm recommendation after having owned it for only a couple of days. The computer itself is fantastic. Super fast compared to my 6 year old laptop. Really happy with it and really happy with regard to how cool it runs and how silent it is.

I agree that there isn't anything really to worry about. Normal use for me is actually regular code compilation and writing documents in word and I don't notice the fan noise very often, it may spin up during compile but thats maybe 30 seconds each compile and with continuous builds turned on I almost never notice hear it.
It's a fantastic machine and while continuous heavy CPU load will lead to a loud machine even then it is very easily drowned out by a bit of music (though I suppose that is a bit of a problem for audio engineers that require perfect silence all the time).

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Update - took the same LogicPro X session and using Xcode turned Hyperthreading OFF.

Running ~10 degC cooler than yesterdays test and very even. 35W of CPU power, ~31% CPU load (vs 25% with HT).
Temps around 70degC with short spike to 75 or so and very even.

OK - first post on the HT on version may have had other background processes because now the HT version looks just as good (maybe better) than the non HT one!

With HT ON
~25%CPU load, ~65 to 70degC somes spikes above. 1200RPM fan ~34W CPU power

New HT ON picture
Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 11.45.24 AM.png

Last edited:

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Update - took the same LogicPro X session and using Xcode turned Hyperthreading OFF.

Running ~10 degC cooler than yesterdays test and very even. 35W of CPU power, ~31% CPU load (vs 25% with HT).

OK - first post on the HT on version may have had other background processes because now the HT version looks just as good (maybe better) than the non HT one!

With HT ON

New HT ON picture
View attachment 705275

You are not loading the CPU to 100%, so hyperthreading won't make a difference.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013

With HT ON

New HT ON picture
View attachment 705275

Thanks for the news and update! I think the i7 580 is just fine honestly. More and more people keep making a big deal out of this but i honestly think this topic is just a bit overblown at this point. But great screenshot detailing those temps which are nice with HT off.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
OK - here is my FIND of the day and then I am going to get the rest of things set up....

Turning Turbo OFF saves 7W of CPU power and shaves almost 10 degC OFF. Holy Cow - that is GREAT for audio folks!!!!!! Temps are now hovering at 60degC for the same load! This probably seals the deal for me!

The picture shows everything just a little high because even taking a screenshot adds load... LOL

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 12.43.39 PM.png

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
OK - here is my FIND of the day and then I am going to get the rest of things set up....

Turning Turbo OFF saves 7W of CPU power and shaves almost 10 degC OFF. Holy Cow - that is GREAT for audio folks!!!!!! Temps are now hovering at 60degC for the same load! This probably seals the deal for me!

The picture shows everything just a little high because even taking a screenshot adds load... LOL

View attachment 705286
If you are going to turn off Turbo then you may consider just getting a different model.

You used to be able to do the same thing by turning off HT but I'm under the impression you can't turn off HT easily anymore. How did you turn off Turbo?

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
If you are going to turn off Turbo then you may consider just getting a different model.

You used to be able to do the same thing by turning off HT but I'm under the impression you can't turn off HT easily anymore. How did you turn off Turbo?

Next fastest model has no HT and is 3.8GHz. No - I want the 4.2 just don't care if it can go higher for a moment. Uses lots of power for no gain in my use. Read above again - I did turn off HT but had no meaningful gain from that ( or loss for leaving it ON)

http://www.rugarciap.com/turbo-boost-switcher-for-os-x/

Buxley

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2013
A couple of days ago, I was about the purchase the top-end configuration iMac 27" with an i7, 1TB SSD and the Radeon Pro 580 with 8gig of video memory... and then I ran across this thread. I've been watching what folks here have been saying, and now I'm a bit confused, so I'm hoping you can help me out.

I'm having a hard time determining which CPUs in particular are causing the fan issue, or whether it's the CPU and GPU combo that's causing it.

I really dislike fan noise, so from what I'm reading here, I think that the 4.2Ghz i7 (which I think, for the top end config, is the 7700K) is out. The next step down is the 3.8Ghz i5 (7600k?). Both the 4.2Ghz i7 and 3.8Ghz i5 appear to be 91W CPUs. Do both of these CPUs drive the fans more frequently, or is it just the 4.2Ghz i7?

I looked at the next step down, iMac 27" with 3.5 Gz i5 (which I believe is a 65W CPU), 1TB SSD and a Radeon Pro 575 with 4gig of video memory; the price difference from the i5/580 and i5/575 is about $200. I really prefer to have that better graphics card (the 580). I'm really concerned about the fan noise, so I'll step down to this if I have to, but I'd really rather not.

Now, I don't mind occasional fan noise (like when spotlight is reindexing it's heart out)... I just don't want it happening frequently. I intend to use the machine primarily for iOS development, with some World of Warcraft thrown in. I think WoW will push the system somewhat, but not all that hard. I'm pretty sure the most intensive use will be for VR applications, but I don't see myself using those that frequently.... I'd be able to live with fan noise for that. If the fan cranks up every time I try and do a compile with Xcode...that'd be an issue.

This is gonna be a huge upgrade for me. I'm still rocking' this Early 2008 8-core Mac Pro...and I'd like to get this upgrade right.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Reactions: Yog

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
A couple of days ago, I was about the purchase the top-end configuration iMac 27" with an i7, 1TB SSD and the Radeon Pro 580 with 8gig of video memory... and then I ran across this thread. I've been watching what folks here have been saying, and now I'm a bit confused, so I'm hoping you can help me out.

I'm having a hard time determining which CPUs in particular are causing the fan issue, or whether it's the CPU and GPU combo that's causing it.

I really dislike fan noise, so from what I'm reading here, I think that the 4.2Ghz i7 (which I think, for the top end config, is the 7700K) is out.
My i7 7700K stays silent even through a couple of runs of Geekbench 4.1. It scored 5821 / 20046 by the way. :) The thing in my usage that turns the fan up is video encoding.

The next step down is the 3.8Ghz i5 (7600k?). Both the 4.2Ghz i7 and 3.8Ghz i5 appear to be 91W CPUs. Do both of these CPUs drive the fans more frequently, or is it just the 4.2Ghz i7?
Many reviews have the 3.8 GHz 7600K being a cooler chip than the 4.2 GHz 7700K. However, propower above turned off Turbo for his 7700K and it remained silent for heavy usage. Not sure I'd personally want to do that though.

I looked at the next step down, iMac 27" with 3.5 Gz i5 (which I believe is a 65W CPU), 1TB SSD and a Radeon Pro 575 with 4gig of video memory; the price difference from the i5/580 and i5/575 is about $200. I really prefer to have that better graphics card (the 580). I'm really concerned about the fan noise, so I'll step down to this if I have to, but I'd really rather not.

Now, I don't mind occasional fan noise (like when spotlight is reindexing it's heart out)... I just don't want it happening frequently. I intend to use the machine primarily for iOS development, with some World of Warcraft thrown in. I think WoW will push the system somewhat, but not all that hard. I'm pretty sure the most intensive use will be for VR applications, but I don't see myself using those that frequently.... I'd be able to live with fan noise for that. If the fan cranks up every time I try and do a compile with Xcode...that'd be an issue.
I've read that Xcode compilation can rev up the fan on some older i7 machines, at least in some instances, but I have no experience with that. I don't recall seeing that mentioned for the 2017 yet, but that's probably just because the iMacs are so new.

Johanncerecke

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2017
I do a lot of editing in Final Cut, all of my clips are exported to h.264 and at 1920x1080 resolution. They are generally between 1:00-1:30 long and so far the fan stays on lowest setting during export. Also, export is pretty quick I never hear any fan noise while editing, adding filters, stabilising etc.
The only time I have heard the fan increase was when playing Cities:Skylines on 1440p with all the eye candy turned on. And even then I can't hear it above the in game sound effects, I only noticed it when I pulled up the options menu to save and quit.
My 2012 mbp was a lot louder when the fan ramped up.
I know everyone is different and there are varying sensitivities to what constitutes a loud fan, but I certainly can't imagine ever calling the machine loud. It just seems to me to be quietly getting the job done at a blistering pace.

i7 580 1Tb Fusion 8G Ram

Falcon80

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I am glad I read this thread before making a purchasing decision. Was going to go for the i7 but now that I know the minimal performance difference and the quite substantial noise/heat difference, the i5 is the best choice for me and probably most people.

Which i5 are you considering? I feel that if you do not need the absolute best GPU, the best tier i5 seems to be best in terms of performance/power/heat balance.

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008

I really dislike fan noise, so from what I'm reading here, I think that the 4.2Ghz i7 (which I think, for the top end config, is the 7700K) is out. The next step down is the 3.8Ghz i5 (7600k?). Both the 4.2Ghz i7 and 3.8Ghz i5 appear to be 91W CPUs. Do both of these CPUs drive the fans more frequently, or is it just the 4.2Ghz i7?

This is gonna be a huge upgrade for me. I'm still rocking' this Early 2008 8-core Mac Pro...and I'd like to get this upgrade right.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

The i5 7600K doesn't draw 91 W. Not even with Prime95. Only up to about 55 W under a real-world load.

The i5 7600K / Radeon 580 system is pretty much always whisper quiet. Even while playing intensive games.

The i7 7700K is much more trigger-happy with the fan.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
2 week return policy at Apple - BTO or standard models. Buy the i7 and use it. If it works - great. If not - give it back. I routinely buy 2 or 3 models when getting a new machine, I have two in house today. Find the one that works in your use scenario and return the others.

Reactions: Falcon80

rico7578

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2017
Don't forget that noise could be ok the first weeks, but after it is always worse after some months of use...
So if it is already not so good at start, it can only become worse the more you use the imac...

See here the temperatures at full load :
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...i7-7700k-i7-7700-i5-7600k-i5-7600,4870-8.html
i7-7700K : 100°C
i5-7600K : 90°C
i5-7600 : 70°C

Pesonnaly I opted for the mid model with i5-7600 and SSD 512, more adapted for my needs (Lightroom in silence :) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.