Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

latapi

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
Wait, so there was a downgrade in processor category but they still increased the price? How could I justify paying $300 more for it? Knowing that I'll get better... speakers? A marginal increase in display quality? :(

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
Wait, so there was a downgrade in processor category but they still increased the price? How could I justify paying $300 more for it? Knowing that I'll get better... speakers? A marginal increase in display quality? :(

space grey buddy, space grey..

but on a serious note , there was not a downgrade , don't compare this model to the previous base macbook pro model , this is a macbook air replacement.
the $1799 model with the touch is basically the real base model pro

Reactions: Capt T and latapi

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
what about the other inferior specs
  • 2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor VS 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor at the Touch Bar version
  • 1866MHz memory VS 2133MHz at the Touch Bar version
  • Intel Iris Graphics 540 VS 550 at the Touch Bar version
You're also giving up two of the four ports, just FYI.

c0mm0n

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
But a bigger 10% battery and a CPU half the TDP if what can be read around is correct.

MacAddiction

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Just pulled the trigger on a base model with the 512GB upgrade. I've always maxed out my MacBook Pro but this time I'm just not feeling it (mostly for $$ reasons). Good luck on all your decisions.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Does a 16 GB RAM upgrade make sense in this model with the base CPU?

IMO yes. There are times on my current Macbook Air when I still wish I had more ram (I have i7, 8gb model from 2013). You don't need to be doing processor intensive stuff to need lots of ram. You just need to be doing lots of things like running a VM + adobe suite + chrome to appreciate the extra Ram. If (and that is a big if) I end up upgrading it would probably be to the non touch bar model with 16gb of ram.

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Ordered this one. 13" No Touch Bar/16GB/2.0Ghz i5/512SSD.

Reasoning:

Pros:
  1. Still significantly faster and more capable than the 12" MacBook that I'm replacing, especially for VMs (a primary use case for me)
  2. Do not need super fast processor
  3. Still get TB3 + P3 Wide Color Gamut
  4. Should get better battery life - 15W processor + 54.5 watt-hour battery vs 28W processor + 49.2 watt-hour battery
  5. Save $300
  6. Get it next week
Cons:
  1. No touch bar
  2. Only two TB3/USB-C ports
Since this is my on-the-go portable replacing a 12" MacBook, I think it'll be a pretty decent upgrade and an extra port will be fantastic, especially since they're TB3. Looking forward to a nice docking setup to be released in the future, with potential for eGPU options.

Last edited:

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Lets discuss this model,

I'm not keen on the touch bar thingy anyway, and in $1499 for the base model (plus shipping right now) this seems like a good option ,but what about the other inferior specs ,

• 2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor VS 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor at the Touch Bar version
  • 1866MHz memory VS 2133MHz at the Touch Bar version
  • Intel Iris Graphics 540 VS 550 at the Touch Bar version

Would the difference in performance be something we would feel? specially regarding the 2ghz professor?
Think of the non-TB MacBook Pro as a MacBook Air, because that's what it is. It uses the successor to the 15W processor in the Air and other Air components.

So it should perform better than the current Air, maybe around the same performance as the entry-level 2015 MacBook Pro.

Personally I think it seems like a fantastic notebook, and the best value among Apples lineup.
As a MacBook Air replacement, it's what the MacBook should have been.

Reactions: Abaganov

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
One other important difference is the lower end 13" uses Iris 540 instead of 550 for graphics. Does anyone have a guess as to how big the graphics gap might be?

Spec wise, they 540 and 550 are quite similar, probably only about a 5-10% difference. In practice, the 540 will not be able to keep up peak performance for as long as the 550, so for anything prolonged, the 550 will be significantly better.

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016

Reasoning:

Pros:
  1. Still significantly faster and more capable than the 12" MacBook that I'm replacing, especially for VMs (a primary use case for me)
  4. Should get better battery life - 15W processor + 54.5 watt-hour battery vs 28W processor + 49.2 watt-hour battery
  5. Save $300
  6. Get it next week
Cons:
  1. No touch bar
Since this is my on-the-go portable replacing a 12" MacBook, I think it'll be a pretty decent upgrade and 50% more ports will be fantastic, especially since they're TB3. Looking forward to a nice docking setup to be released in the future, with potential for eGPU options.

Congrats bud , you made a smart decision it seems, this is the same exact config i'm looking to get , please update us on performance once you get the chance

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

Reasoning:

Pros:
  5. Save $300
  6. Get it next week
Cons:
  1. No touch bar
Since this is my on-the-go portable replacing a 12" MacBook, I think it'll be a pretty decent upgrade and 50% more ports will be fantastic, especially since they're TB3. Looking forward to a nice docking setup to be released in the future, with potential for eGPU options.

100% more ports! Even better!

Congrats and enjoy your new system!

schmidti91

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Eisenach, Germany
IMO yes. There are times on my current Macbook Air when I still wish I had more ram (I have i7, 8gb model from 2013). You don't need to be doing processor intensive stuff to need lots of ram. You just need to be doing lots of things like running a VM + adobe suite + chrome to appreciate the extra Ram. If (and that is a big if) I end up upgrading it would probably be to the non touch bar model with 16gb of ram.

The thing is... Then the price would be around the one of the 13" Touch Bar base model with the better CPU, GPU and faster yet smaller (8 GB) RAM. Still worth it or better go for the 13" Touch Bar base model?

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
The thing is... Then the price would be around the one of the 13" Touch Bar base model with the better CPU, GPU and faster yet smaller (8 GB) RAM. Still worth it or better go for the 13" Touch Bar base model?

*and also 2 more USB slots

I can't really see how i will use this touch bar thing , I don't do much video edits/photoshop , i have a felling that if i will get it , it will just sit there, useless , and I will hate it.
at the same price I would rather get double sized SSD/RAM and actually not having the bar is a plus for me.

Reactions: user74246

jackwills

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
New York, NY
They removed all USB ports, removed SD card support and designed a more horrible chicklet style keyboard with barely any depth, while increasing the price heavily...how is this an upgrade again?
More importantly the glowing apple logo is gone.....

catportal

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2016
No HEVC10/VP9 because Skylake and no discrete GPU, which means it will get extremely hot when watching any streaming video (Netflix, Youtube, etc). Main issue is the lack of Kaby Lake.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
100% more ports! Even better!

Congrats and enjoy your new system!
I'm certainly enjoying mine especially now that I got two external hard drives to work with. And boy, do I love putting MagSafe everytime I need to charge it!

This is basically Apple screwing over the Mac people. Cool, no Touch Bar. We have iPhone and iPad Pro with a Apple Pencil. More areas to clean up anyway. But $400-$500 MORE for it? Goodbye, MacBook. Hello, Surface Book i7.

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
I'm ordering blind/without touching it, so hope the size/weight/feel is as good as I think it will be/as good as some of the reviews make it out to be. Rene Ritchie of iMore has a video out there stating that the non-OLED version is thinner and lighter than the OLED version, but I think this is a mistake. Here's the video where he mentions this (towards the end):

Reactions: linuslh1996

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
I'm ordering blind/without touching it, so hope the size/weight/feel is as good as I think it will be/as good as some of the reviews make it out to be. Rene Ritchie of iMore has a video out there stating that the non-OLED version is thinner and lighter than the OLED version, but I think this is a mistake. Here's the video where he mentions this (towards the end):

ha interesting, he is probably wrong? but they didn't really talk much about this version on the event so who knows

update: on the spec page that compare the two http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/
its the same weight/size for both

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
ha interesting, he is probably wrong? but they didn't really talk much about this version on the event so who knows

Most likely an error. Apple states exact same dimensions and weight for OLED vs. Non-OLED... that said, they also state the exact same battery life with differing battery capacity/processor wattages, so who knows.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008

I think that depends. For me personally, one of the reasons to upgrade (eventually) would be to get 16gb of ram. And doing that on the touch bar version gets me up to $1999...which is right about my limit.

Also the 2 vs 4 usb-c/thunderbolt ports is a moot point for me. IMHO if you aren't using a single usb-c port/thunderbolt port with a dock you are doing it wrong (since the alternative is buying a separate dongle for...everything).

Hopefully someone will do a nice in-depth comparison of both models!

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
This CPU is clocked much slower than the 2015 base model. Is it because it is a different class of CPU and this one is actually faster than the 2.7GHz in the base 2015 model?

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
This CPU is clocked much slower than the 2015 base model. Is it because it is a different class of CPU and this one is actually faster than the 2.7GHz in the base 2015 model?

It is a different class (15w) of CPU, and it is in fact SLOWER than the 2.7GHz (28w) CPU in the 2015 model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.