Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
Not in the market for a laptop at the moment and no cash to spare.
Plus, a Kaby Lake or Cannon Lake model would feel more "ultimate" in terms of fullier 4K video codecs support by the iGPU.
you are like weirdos who review and comment on restaurants and then say theyve never been there butit sounds good. lol.

Robdmb

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Need some advice. I got in on an Amazon preorder for the 2016 base MBP (non-touch bar) for $1,139. At that price, is the 2016 MBP Base or the 2015 MBP w/ 256/8GB the better buy? I keep debating back and forth and have some time to change my mind if the performance of the older model is better. Thanks.

psymac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Need some advice. I got in on an Amazon preorder for the 2016 base MBP (non-touch bar) for $1,139. At that price, is the 2016 MBP Base or the 2015 MBP w/ 256/8GB the better buy? I keep debating back and forth and have some time to change my mind if the performance of the older model is better. Thanks.

Hands down the MBP 2016 base, unless you have a need for older ports.
[doublepost=1477661411][/doublepost]
I think people would be excited about it at $1099. At $1499 it's the new air in terms of use case but 50% more expensive.

Amazon is reportedly taking preorders for this MBP at $1139

Last edited:

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
So for me I compared the nonstrip vs the strip mbp.

Non-strip 16gb/512gb: 2050€
Strip 16gb/512gb: 2290€

That's actually not that much of a difference. I don't need the touchbar, but I could use more ports and a better processor. Both are still terribly overpriced.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011

The 2016 is a better value but you have to keep in mind one important thing, you're comparing a heavily discounted 2016 model vs a regular price 2015 model.

In a few weeks, the 2015 model will also be heavily discounted. I remember when a 256GB 2015 model first came out, you could get a brand new 2014 model with 512GB of storage for the same price.

So in my mind, if you compare a 256GB 2016 vs a 512GB 2015 model for the same price, I would go with the 2015 since it has more power, more storage, and more ports at just a slightly thicker and heavier form factor.

If all iPhones and iPads came with USB-C cables, I would consider getting the 2016 model. But at this point, having a laptop with unproven ports is not worth it to me. Look at Thunderbolt 1 where brand new 2012 MBPs had them and they just came and gone.

Robdmb

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
The 2016 is a better value but you have to keep in mind one important thing, you're comparing a heavily discounted 2016 model vs a regular price 2015 model.

In a few weeks, the 2015 model will also be heavily discounted. I remember when a 256GB 2015 model first came out, you could get a brand new 2014 model with 512GB of storage for the same price.

So in my mind, if you compare a 256GB 2016 vs a 512GB 2015 model for the same price, I would go with the 2015 since it has more power, more storage, and more ports at just a slightly thicker and heavier form factor.

If all iPhones and iPads came with USB-C cables, I would consider getting the 2016 model. But at this point, having a laptop with unproven ports is not worth it to me. Look at Thunderbolt 1 where brand new 2012 MBPs had them and they just came and gone.

My concern is that the 2015 Models havent been officially discontinued and given the price point of the new models (without discounts), I'm not as confident that we will see heavily discounted 2015 models as we have in the past.

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
Hands down the MBP 2016 base, unless you have a need for older ports.
[doublepost=1477661411][/doublepost]

Amazon is reportedly taking preorders for this MBP at $1139

thats a huge discount ,link?

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
https://www.cnet.com/products/apple-macbook-pro-13-inch-2016/review/
[doublepost=1477669012][/doublepost]this thing is the sexiest most beautiful piece of hardware ever made.

d3daef4116b647688416e4c2897fffae.png

Last edited:

etceteraism

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
I really wanted the touch bar, but when I saw the $2300 price tag in Canada (damn exchange rate) I knew I had to pass. I use my laptop for pretty basic needs-surfing, MS Office, very light photo editing....I'm very much a gadget person and love having the newest thing, but I just can't justify that price for what I use it for. So I ordered the base 13", no upgrades. I'm running a 2010 15" MBP (which only cost $1500 brand new!!!) and it's going to be a HUGE improvement in every single way.

I just need to stop watching video reviews that go on about the touch bar for 5min and rile up my sense of FOMO.

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
I really wanted the touch bar, but when I saw the $2300 price tag in Canada (damn exchange rate) I knew I had to pass. I use my laptop for pretty basic needs-surfing, MS Office, very light photo editing....I'm very much a gadget person and love having the newest thing, but I just can't justify that price for what I use it for. So I ordered the base 13", no upgrades. I'm running a 2010 15" MBP (which only cost $1500 brand new!!!) and it's going to be a HUGE improvement in every single way.

I just need to stop watching video reviews that go on about the touch bar for 5min and rile up my sense of FOMO.

Congrats! when its suppose to arrive?

Macalway

macrumors 601
Aug 7, 2013
BTW, these apparently are in stock at Best Buy. I just bought one to pick up today.

But they will cancel it if (they feel like it :D )

I'm thinking the Apple stores must have them. But good luck getting any info from them. Worse than Walmart when you call.

Last edited:

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
The more I think about it the more it seems like apple made a mistake with the branding. The base 13" MBP without touchbar is really the new 13" Macbook. A decent step above the 12" Macbook with an extra port, same keyboard setup, better but not best processors and probably better battery life.

When Apple released the first unibody Macbook Pros they also released a 2008 Unibody Macbook that looked exactly like the Pros but was branded Macbook because from a functional and price standpoint it was really a replacement for the old white macbooks. Of course they reversed that decision a year later, but it seems like they should have done something similar here.

Currently the lowest end 13" Macbook Pro just looks completely inferior because it lacks the touchbar. If they marketed it as an improvement over the 12" Macbook (rather than the 'cheap' 13" MBP) they could better highlight that they have a <$1800 computer in their new lineup.

Just my 2 cents.

My biggest issue with paying for the touchbar, personally is that I use my computer with an external display and keyboard ~80% of the time. But the more I think about it, the more 4 usb-c ports sounds appealing. Just going to stick with my Macbook Air for now, but that is a tricky decision.

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
The more I think about it the more it seems like apple made a mistake with the branding. The base 13" MBP without touchbar is really the new 13" Macbook. A decent step above the 12" Macbook with an extra port, same keyboard setup, better but not best processors and probably better battery life.

When Apple released the first unibody Macbook Pros they also released a 2008 Unibody Macbook that looked exactly like the Pros but was branded Macbook because from a functional and price standpoint it was really a replacement for the old white macbooks. Of course they reversed that decision a year later, but it seems like they should have done something similar here.

Currently the lowest end 13" Macbook Pro just looks completely inferior because it lacks the touchbar. If they marketed it as an improvement over the 12" Macbook (rather than the 'cheap' 13" MBP) they could better highlight that they have a <$1800 computer in their new lineup.

Just my 2 cents.

My biggest issue with paying for the touchbar, personally is that I use my computer with an external display and keyboard ~80% of the time. But the more I think about it, the more 4 usb-c ports sounds appealing. Just going to stick with my Macbook Air for now, but that is a tricky decision.

I agree , the branding here is pretty confusing

Fenda

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
A basic comparison from CPU Monkey : http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i5_6360u-581-vs-intel_core_i5_6267u-584

(basic config cpu for no touch bar on left, with touch bar on the right).

It seems that in single thread you have about 90-94% of the performances. in multi thread you are around 80%.

Also, like mentionned above. the considerably lower power consumption with a bigger battery (I assume it is because of the space saved by the secure enclave, touch bar, thunderbold ports and a smaller heatsink.) should give you better battery life.

However on Apple website it's weird that it's 10 hours for both. It's almost impossible that they both have the same battery life. Probably Apple didn't want to show a spec where the "cheap" (cheap relative to the other one :p) is better.

Personnally I already ordered mine (the no touch bar MacBook Pro). I need a laptop asap, and also I have a good gaming PC tower at home so if I need to encode a video I don't need my MBP or something very demanding I don't have to do it on my MBP.

Very interested to know how the battery life works out for you when this arrives.

I have a pre-order for a MBP 13" with Touch Bar, 3.1ghz i5 (boosts to 3.5), 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD.

I'm all for extra battery life and so I'm wondering if I should cancel that and get the Pro without the Touch Bar.

I'm moving from a Air mid-2013 with 1.3ghz i5 (boosts to 2.6), 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD so anything is a big increase.

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
I guess it must have the same battery life, otherwise apple would state that?
that bar thing must have very low power consumption

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.