Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benz240

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008
The three finger drag issue is the only thing I am still annoyed with even though I am so much happier with the non-TB MBP than the TB model I had initially. I am hoping this can be fixed in a future software update.

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
The three finger drag issue is the only thing I am still annoyed with even though I am so much happier with the non-TB MBP than the TB model I had initially. I am hoping this can be fixed in a future software update.
That's good to hear! What part of the non TB do you prefer? I'm waiting on my non TB to be delivered after debating which to get for a long time.

benz240

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2008
That's good to hear! What part of the non TB do you prefer? I'm waiting on my non TB to be delivered after debating which to get for a long time.

I think the best part about it is the size. I am coming from a 2014 13" rMBP, and it was already plenty small, light and portable, but this one is even better. It's almost as portable as the 12" Macbook, but the performance is so much better. I do wish there were ports on the right side so I could charge it either side, but overall I'm very pleased.

Reactions: keviig

dexterie

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
Went to day to an Apple Store and played a bit with the touch bar version. Honestly, I think the NT version looks better.

There's something about the TB that I don't like. Looks cheap... Almost like some Chinese product. It just doesn't belong...it doesn't look good with the rest of the machine. I was really disappointed.

vishavg

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
Random thought: Is there any way to avoid the early software/hardware issues with the computer? For example would buying online be more beneficial than buying in store since the online stock is more "fresh" and thus would have less problems? Or does none of this matter and the first batch is all the same?

I know this is an odd inquiry, but I thought I would get some opinions.

thanks

deliriumxy

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2016
Went to day to an Apple Store and played a bit with the touch bar version. Honestly, I think the NT version looks better.

There's something about the TB that I don't like. Looks cheap... Almost like some Chinese product. It just doesn't belong...it doesn't look good with the rest of the machine. I was really disappointed.

It's all made in China...

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
This laptop could be the only one that you can even consider getting.

Yes, the touch bar versions are ridiculously expensive. I have been fine with a normal key board for a very long time, I see no need for a gimmick as a touch bar. I would even think twice if it came for free to be honest.

Reactions: ballyhoos

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room

I use 3 and 2 finger gestures. I found that turning off touch to click helped a lot with 2 finger scroll at least. Maybe it will help 3 finger drag for you? I personally haven't had any issues with 3 finger drag.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
I know it is. What I meant is that it doesn't feel as premium as the rest of the machine. Not up to Apple standard.

And even though many things are made in China..being made there doesn't mean they were created there.

Apple does this deliberately in order to push clients to the touch bar version with the high prices. It's a nasty habit.

dexterie

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
Apple does this deliberately in order to push clients to the touch bar version with the high prices. It's a nasty habit.
so you think the Touch Bar on the 15" is better than the one on the 13"?
I was talking about the touch bar on the 13" (never seen a 15" in the wild).

But honestly... I think the nTB looks WAY better than the TB version. And I have a feeling that if they would release a 15" without TB, many would buy that instead of the TB.

I had a friend with me and he even said "I'm so glad I ordered the 2015 15" version!. And I understand him. Even though I preordered the 13" TB, I'm glad I cancelled that order.

Reactions: racostaf

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Random thought: Is there any way to avoid the early software/hardware issues with the computer? For example would buying online be more beneficial than buying in store since the online stock is more "fresh" and thus would have less problems? Or does none of this matter and the first batch is all the same?

I know this is an odd inquiry, but I thought I would get some opinions.

thanks
There is no difference between the two, outside of possibly getting your computer faster at the store, versus ordering online.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
For me it's because I use my laptop in clamshell mode so often, I don't need a touch bar. Not for that price. If prices come down and touch bar is included I wouldn't mind I think.

fjd726

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
Thinking of getting this one over last years 2015 15 inch model. Which one is the better buy?

vishavg

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
Thinking of getting this one over last years 2015 15 inch model. Which one is the better buy?

Depends on what you do on a day to day basis, are you extremely frugal or dont mind spending 100-200$ extra, do you care for the latest and newest technology, do the 2 ports really bother you.

I was debating the two, and ultimately decided to go for the nTB base model. But honestly, you can't go wrong either way.

febLey

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2016
Germany
I'm going to buy the Non-Touchbar MBP silver with the 2.0 Ghz i5, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD.
My main problem is that I can't decide for which keyboard layout i should go:
I live in Germany and I'm a web developer.
I startet using the US-Layout a few weeks ago and i really like it, but there's also the English International layout which looks more like the german one, has the same enter key and i like the position of the \ key more, but it has the smaller L-Shift and this weird key in the upper left (Paragraph and ± symbol) which I will never use. I wish there was a kombination of those two :(

Last edited:

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
so you think the Touch Bar on the 15" is better than the one on the 13"?
I was talking about the touch bar on the 13" (never seen a 15" in the wild).

But honestly... I think the nTB looks WAY better than the TB version. And I have a feeling that if they would release a 15" without TB, many would buy that instead of the TB.

I had a friend with me and he even said "I'm so glad I ordered the 2015 15" version!. And I understand him. Even though I preordered the 13" TB, I'm glad I cancelled that order.

The fact that my nTB Mac displays 14 hours of battery left... That's SOOO beautiful.

I worked about 5 hours yesterday doing Safari and Word with 30% brightness. The battery went from 75% to 45%.

Uhm, and I saved myself $300 - I don't think I'm going to make use of the TB, not to mention, I like the simplistic look of the nTB version.

I think the tB 13" is in a pretty awkward position - if you need portability, go with the nTB 13". For power, go with 15".

Reactions: David58117

Qwertylizer

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2009
Europe
After spending some time with the touch bar I just couldn't get accustomed to it. Too pixelated and I didn't like that I had to always look at the bar in order to hit the right button on it. I love the older keys because you don't have to look at them in order to hit the right key. For me it is so much faster to do things with the right shortcuts + trackpad. This is just my opinion. I am sure that for some the touch bar is a great new thing but it is not for me.

Other reasons: better battery life on nTB and the SSD is not soldered.

So I ended up ordering the base 13" 8GB/256GB nTB model instead and saving also some money.

Last edited:

FrozenShivers

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011
Potentially interested in one of these, with a 16GB ram upgrade, (currently using a 13" late 2011 with 4GB Ram/128GB SSD I installed), I'm wondering how they would cope editing 4K in FCPX, using proxy files. I know that 3d titles require 1GB+ vram, not sure how much these actually have? I've heard some positive things about even these dual core/non-GPU models for 4k in FCPX, so be interested for feedback from users here.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
ntb 2.4 GHz i7 16GB 1866 MHz RAM 512GB for $1999.00

or

tb 2.9 GHz i5 16GB 2133 MHz RAM 512GB for $2139.00???

The price difference there is not that much, so I think it will depend on: if you like the touch bar and see yourself using it now and in the future; how much you value the extra battery life of the non touch bar model; how much you value the removable SSD in the non touch bar model; and how much you value the speed increase the touch bar model brings.

They are both great machines so I think you can't really go wrong with either of those configurations.

febLey

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2016
Germany
ntb 2.4 GHz i7 16GB 1866 MHz RAM 512GB for $1999.00

or

tb 2.9 GHz i5 16GB 2133 MHz RAM 512GB for $2139.00???
What? The first config is here in Europe 2539,00 € which is about $2.700, thats madness...

Depends if you like the touchbar or not, the speed increase of the cpu is mildly noticable and you won't notice the RAM speed increase. But what you will notice is the worse battery life and the 2 additional ports.

BBD90

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Last night I fell asleep watching YouTube videos and woke up to a loud fan noise coming from my MacBook Pro. It sounded really loud like a mini vacuum cleaner going off. After I closed the lid it kept making that noise for like 30 seconds before it stopped. Is this normal?

Specs:

i5 2.0
16 GB Ram
512 SSD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.