Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peptide

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
Has anyone experienced laggy UI or any other issues with their non-touch? I'm trying to be on the lookout because I ordered mine from B&H, thus I can only exchange it once it's opened.

ladydub

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
Is this base model enough power for me? I would go with 2.0/500 GB, and either 8 or 16 MB RAM. I don't really want the touch bar version...would rather not be the guinea pig. My use is for work, using Outlook, Excel, Word, Acrobat (creating PDFs), many web tabs open in 2 browsers and Lightroom. I import up to a few hundred large (1-2 MB) photos at a time and have to do some light photo editing on them.

Seems like this would be OK based on the anecdotal evidence in this thread, but it makes me nervous when people compare to a Macbook Air.

Last edited:

Peptide

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
Is this base model enough power for me? I would go with 2.0/500 GB, and either 8 or 16 MB RAM. I don't really want the touch bar version...would rather not be the guinea pig. My use is for work, using Outlook, Excel, Wood, Acrobat (creating PDFs), many web tabs open in 2 browsers and Lightroom. I import up to a few hundred large (1-2 MB) photos at a time and have to do some light photo editing on them.

Seems like this would be OK based on the anecdotal evidence in this thread, but it makes me nervous when people compare to a Macbook Air.

My usage is similar to yours except for the lightroom, importing photos, and the light editing. Perhaps you would want to go with the 16gb option. I placed an order for 2.0/512gb/16gb. Are you using lightroom currently? If so, on what laptop and how does it run? This may give you an idea of what to expect.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
think that this group might be the MBP master race.

with ntb we get:

• no crackling blown out speakers with bootcamp
  • no AMD graphic glitches
  • longer battery life
  • much lower cost than 13" TB - similar performance
  • physical function keys

just saying.

It runs cooler and quieter too! Less QA issues and it has better speaker placement. We also don't suffer from soldered SSD like the touch bar models.

There seem to be a lot of graphical glitches on 13" touch bar so not sure if it's even to do with AMD.

coopercoop

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
so the i7 isnt actually worth it?
Nope, for the money it costs (a lot) you get maybe a 5% performance increase
[doublepost=1480114209][/doublepost]
Hi guys

Any comments on this? Seems like the price difference between the TB and non TB version is very much reduced if we are compared maxed out configuration for RAM and SSD? Still worth getting the non TB version?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/13-macbook-pro-price-difference.2017575/
If you compare the turbo boost CPU speeds they are quite similar and benchmarks show that the touchbar version is not much faster. I personally don't care for the touch bar so this feature might be worth it for you. Also battery life seems to be better with the nTB version.

Reactions: Falcon80

alanlau007

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Irvine
B&H is currently having a $200 discount on maxed out (i7, 16GB ram, 1TB) nTB. Which brings down the price to $2400, and it is rather tempting. It's on par with a base Touch Bar with 1TB option.

Assuming I can sell my current MBP for $800, I will be spending $1600.

I've been researching and reading reviews for 4 hours, and it's still not an easy decision. Mainly because I have a maxed out Late 2013 13 inch MBP.

Performance wise, I will be getting a very decent upgrade on iGPU, but that's it. CPU speed improvement is minimal, and I don't see the SSD speed being a bottleneck on my current MBP.
The change of from factor and screen are great, but for $1600?

I use Lightroom. Recently, I've noticed it's not running as smooth as it used to be. I've enabled "Develop using Smart Preview" but still not ideal. I wonder if the 540 iGPU would help much...

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Has anyone experienced laggy UI or any other issues with their non-touch? I'm trying to be on the lookout because I ordered mine from B&H, thus I can only exchange it once it's opened.

I have yet to experience any UI lag in my use and it runs very smooth. No lag for me even when I run in scaled resolutions. Very pleased with it. Much better than my 2012 15" rMBP when it ran on the iGPU, which exhibited lag in various UI animations.

bluush

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Hey all -- writing this from my new non-tb 13" base model (2.0ghz, 8gb ram, 256ssd) in space gray.

I spent a long time scouring review sites, comparing benchmark tests and matching them up against what I was looking for in a computer, and quickly the non-tb stood out as the one for me. Touchbar just doesn't impress me and seems to function more as a battery vampire than anything useful -- at least at this point.

Long story short, I'm loving this so much more than I thought I would. This thing flies, the screen is money, the keyboard is the best (my fingers soar on it, it's incredible) and the audio is surprisingly impressive.

Suffice it to say, I'm totally satisfied with the base non-tb model. A very regret-free 1499$ purchase.

coopercoop

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
Hey all -- writing this from my new non-tb 13" base model (2.0ghz, 8gb ram, 256ssd) in space gray.

I spent a long time scouring review sites, comparing benchmark tests and matching them up against what I was looking for in a computer, and quickly the non-tb stood out as the one for me. Touchbar just doesn't impress me and seems to function more as a battery vampire than anything useful -- at least at this point.

Long story short, I'm loving this so much more than I thought I would. This thing flies, the screen is money, the keyboard is the best (my fingers soar on it, it's incredible) and the audio is surprisingly impressive.

Suffice it to say, I'm totally satisfied with the base non-tb model. A very regret-free 1499$ purchase.
So glad to hear, my arrives monday, cant wait

carperjosh

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2016
Could anyone test lightroom out with some high megapixel files and some editing to see how the cpu holds up

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
After weeks of reading I am convinced the ntbMBP offers the best value overall. I am awaiting mine and if it doesn't have any flaws I will be happy. In some stores I've seen screens that don't have perfect edges, more like irregular wavy when you hold them in a bright light. And in some 3 finger drag didn't work perfectly.
Overall I guess there is some QC issues going on, but if mine's OK I'll be set for a couple of years until the first gen problems are ironed out. But who knows where other manufacturers will stand then. Anyway I wouldn't want to spend more than what I did now to be a first gen tester.

housemd64

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Sydney, Australia

I second all of the above. Grabbed the base model (2.0/8GB/256GB) about three weeks ago. Have managed a consistent 9-11 hour battery life depending on what I'm doing. Admittedly, my fairly straightforward workflows mean I don't suffer some of the frustrations that others have around dongles etc. I have an Apple USB-C to USB wire that pretty much satisfies all my legacy connectivity requirements.

The keyboard took some perseverance, but now I type faster with no noise issues at all. The audio has amazing clarity and occasionally I am content just listening to music through the laptop speakers rather than AirPlay through to the main system I have.

So, overall the upgrade from my 2011 13" cMBP has been a good experience.

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2013
After weeks of reading I am convinced the ntbMBP offers the best value overall. I am awaiting mine and if it doesn't have any flaws I will be happy. In some stores I've seen screens that don't have perfect edges, more like irregular wavy when you hold them in a bright light. And in some 3 finger drag didn't work perfectly.
Overall I guess there is some QC issues going on, but if mine's OK I'll be set for a couple of years until the first gen problems are ironed out. But who knows where other manufacturers will stand.

Regarding the 3 finger drag not working properly sometimes, i have a touch bar version and am getting the same issue. Most of the time it works ok, but sometimes 3 finger drag would be completely ignored. Do you think this is an issue with the Sierra?

coopercoop

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
Regarding the 3 finger drag not working properly sometimes, i have a touch bar version and am getting the same issue. Most of the time it works ok, but sometimes 3 finger drag would be completely ignored. Do you think this is an issue with the Sierra?
My guess it is related to the palm rejection software

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014

I am not sure but it may have something to do with palm rejection. However it seems strange that in some devices I tested it worked fine, and in others it clearly didn't. That may suggest more of a hardware problem. Maybe you can go out to a store and test different devices there. If some are working and others are not I would guess it's hardware related, and you may want to opt returning your device for another. If all work or all don't work, it's more likely software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.