Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Graphics freak-outs aside, I'm loving the laptop, but having thunderbolt ports on both sides of the case would have been a welcome addition. There's been a couple of occasions where I've had to juggle things around because of all ports on the left unfortunately.

bjarnel

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2016
Hi,
I got the new 2016 Macbook Pro 13" base model with a good black friday discount. And I am very happy with it.
It feels very snappy (snappier than my work Macbook Pro/13" mid 2014 2.8ghz i5/16gb). I particularly appreciate the fact that the base model has 256gb ssd rather 128gb :) Also I love the form factor -- it ALMOST fits the sleeve from my old Macbook Air 11" haha.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
so you think the Touch Bar on the 15" is better than the one on the 13"?
I was talking about the touch bar on the 13" (never seen a 15" in the wild).

But honestly... I think the nTB looks WAY better than the TB version. And I have a feeling that if they would release a 15" without TB, many would buy that instead of the TB.

I had a friend with me and he even said "I'm so glad I ordered the 2015 15" version!. And I understand him. Even though I preordered the 13" TB, I'm glad I cancelled that order.

No, I am just discussing the usefulness of the touch bar, whether it provides an useful extra or whether it is just a price increasing gimmick.

Peptide

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
Last night I fell asleep watching YouTube videos and woke up to a loud fan noise coming from my MacBook Pro. It sounded really loud like a mini vacuum cleaner going off. After I closed the lid it kept making that noise for like 30 seconds before it stopped. Is this normal?

Specs:

i5 2.0
16 GB Ram
512 SSD

Were the youtube videos constantly playing after you fell asleep? What browser are you using? My 2013 MBA does this sometimes. The fan will run briefly even after the lid is closed, but eventually turns off - doesn't take more than a few seconds.

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
Last night I fell asleep watching YouTube videos and woke up to a loud fan noise coming from my MacBook Pro. It sounded really loud like a mini vacuum cleaner going off. After I closed the lid it kept making that noise for like 30 seconds before it stopped. Is this normal?

Specs:

i5 2.0
16 GB Ram
512 SSD

not normal my is silence even with 5000 rpm fan

Kipchak

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2015
Turkic Khaganate
I'm having a hard time finding a decent HDMI dongle besides the Apple one. I won't shelve 60 euro on a damn HDMI dongle... 60!! I can't believe it every time I see that price. And I guess it's the reduced price? I wouldn't want to spend more than 20 euro on an HDMI dongle, and still then it's too much.

FWIW I'm using this USB-C to HDMI adapter (alongside the Apple Multiport) to output to two 1080 monitors. Combined with the internal laptop screen, it makes for a nice 3 monitor setup. I haven't tested it with 4k, but according to the mfg it can do 4k as well.

31yHy5MI4ML._SL500_SS75_SS75_.jpg

AUKEY USB C to HDMI Adapter, 4K, 1080P Supported for MacBook, Chromebook and More
by Aukey
Link: https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Thunderbolt-Compatible-Chromebook-Pixelbook/dp/B01F5E744A
[doublepost=1480358332][/doublepost]
Has anyone experienced laggy UI or any other issues with their non-touch? I'm trying to be on the lookout because I ordered mine from B&H, thus I can only exchange it once it's opened.

Nope, base stock 13" and it's as snappy as my Late 2015 iMac. Sure, I can bog it down with multiple Vms and a handbrake encode, but for normal usage so far it's surprisingly faster than I expected.

Reactions: Peptide

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

Specs:

i5 2.0
16 GB Ram
512 SSD
Yes, especially if the laptop was resting on a blanket, mattress or something else that traps the heat from underneath.
[doublepost=1480359954][/doublepost]
Nope, base stock 13" and it's as snappy as my Late 2015 iMac. Sure, I can bog it down with multiple Vms and a handbrake encode, but for normal usage so far it's surprisingly faster than I expected.
Agreed. For all but truly demanding CPU/GPU-intensive apps, the 2.0 is remarkably capable.

BBD90

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Yes, especially if the laptop was resting on a blanket, mattress or something else that traps the heat from underneath.
[doublepost=1480359954][/doublepost]
Agreed. For all but truly demanding CPU/GPU-intensive apps, the 2.0 is remarkably capable.
Yes, it was on my bed right next to me.
Were the youtube videos constantly playing after you fell asleep? What browser are you using? My 2013 MBA does this sometimes. The fan will run briefly even after the lid is closed, but eventually turns off - doesn't take more than a few seconds.
Yea, it kept auto-playing videos after I fell asleep.
not normal my is silence even with 5000 rpm fan
This was the first time it came on since I bought it.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
Dell 27 P2715Q, 4k@60Hz, IPS

Can't wait to get it, after I have the base 13" ntb 2016 Macbook Pro

No USB-C connection though. I'm not in the market for a new monitor but if I were it would have to have a USB-C connection.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
Why? Just because you want to connect it directly or..?

Because the ntbMTB only has two ports. With the USB-C monitor I would only have to use one port for video output, power input, and a USB-A hub. I'd still have a port left for other USB-C stuff.

With that dell monitor you will need dongles or external hubs. Nothing wrong with that but I prefer a clean look with just 1 cable.

Lou-X

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Because the ntbMTB only has two ports. With the USB-C monitor I would only have to use one port for video output, power input, and a USB-A hub. I'd still have a port left for other USB-C stuff.

With that dell monitor you will need dongles or external hubs. Nothing wrong with that but I prefer a clean look with just 1 cable.
Ok, just wondering if you meant also something else related to the two different ports.

I'm keen to get the owc hub, so that should work with two Dell 27 in some way

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
For those running an external display, any recommendations?

I have a Thunderbolt Display and it works very nicely. I still love this display even after a few years of using it. But I would recommend something different if I were to buy new. Specifically, I would get the LG 27UD88.

vishavg

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
Would be a good idea to wait for USB-C hubs till mid 2017, just to see the price drop a bit? Because right now they are costly.

Salaryman Ryan

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2015
Now that my beloved auntie has sequestered my trusty 2013 Macbook Pro, I'm now looking for a new laptop . I'm honestly taking a hard look at the none touch bar model and simply upgrade it with 16gb of RAM and more storage.

The none TB Macbook Pro has three things going for me:

1. Longer Battery Life
2. Traditional Keyboard
3. Finally, this model has UNSOLDERED SSD STORAGE. This is a huge deal for me for longevity. Everybody knows that the very first thing to fail in a computer is usually storage. What happens down the line when your expensive touchbar Macbook Pro's SSD fails after Applecare has expired? Replace the whole motherboard? I guess if you upgrade every three years its not a problem but it could be an issue if you are like me and keep yours indefinetly.

If my none touch bar SSD dies in the future after Applecare has expired its more likely that I can get a replacement on ebay or some thrid party vendor and install it myself. When my out of warranty 2013 retina Macbook Pro SSD died, I just sourced a spare from OWC and its up and running again.

This is just speculative on my part but if the second hand market realise they need to replace the whole motherboard if the SSD fails, wont this negatively impact the resell value of the touchbar Macbook Pro in the future?

Last edited:

punitnaker

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Almost. The time is coming... See you this friday!

View attachment 675253

So I got the same one ordered (base model with SSD upgrade) and will be picking up next week. But I see in my store they have the touchbar version with the SSD upgrade to 512GB available to pick up today so thinking of switching up. Not worried about the price difference as I expect to keep the laptop for 5/6 years...so what would you do?

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
So I got the same one ordered (base model with SSD upgrade) and will be picking up next week. But I see in my store they have the touchbar version with the SSD upgrade to 512GB available to pick up today so thinking of switching up. Not worried about the price difference as I expect to keep the laptop for 5/6 years...so what would you do?
Typing this from my base model with 512 SSD right now. Just got it 3 days ago and am quite enjoying the upgrade from my 2015 12" MacBook, though the extra size and weight is taking some getting used to after using an ultra portable for 1.5 years.

I think it depends on how you feel about the Touch Bar and the lower battery life vs regular function keys and better battery life. Granted the TB version will come with a faster processor but you may or may not be able to really notice the difference in your day to day usage, depending on your workflow.

For me the longer battery life trumped anything else that the TB version offered (as of this moment) so I went with that. Eventually down the line when the TB matures and battery life get evened out (or when TB takes over the MBP line completely and we're left with no other options) then I'll jump in, but for now it seems like a neat novelty and not yet a "must-have."

Peptide

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
Just began using my 13" nTB today. Very pleased with the purchase. Three finger drag is finicky sometimes. For instance, it won't register with my left hand, but then it works for my right hand... which isn't that huge of an issue. And on gmail, if I three finger drag to resize the page, there is a bit of lag in displaying the gmail, maybe that's a frame rate drop? The browser is chrome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.