Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
This was on the web using Safari.
Hmm... not too sure then. Was the laptop in a well ventilated area? Heard some users report fans spinning up like crazy if they left the MBP on a blanket or something while watching movies...

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
my
Hmm... not too sure then. Was the laptop in a well ventilated area? Heard some users report fans spinning up like crazy if they left the MBP on a blanket or something while watching movies...

my fans never goes on while watching 1080p movies with second Display or even when i stream it to apple TV.
i seen no glitches hm :confused:
when i stream to atv i have from time to time some sync errors but after restart its running normal

Garage Battle

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Orlando, FL
Just reaffirming that we are 2016 MBP Master Race.

1. Best battery life.
2. No bootcamp blown speakers.
3. No graphics artifacts/glitches like 15" crew
4. Better iGPU than 15" (smooth scroll)
5. No missed TB keypresses
6. Way cheaper
7. Removable SSD component
8. No touchbar graphical glitches
9. Physical keys

I think Apple really, really goofed up the 15".

I think the trick the computer does to render the touch bar is really going to cause problems with 1st and 3rd party apps for a long time.

I think most people will agree with me on one point - apple should have given everyone the TouchID sensor. That is the #1 thing we are missing - however with all the money saved I could get a Gen2 Apple Watch to unlock my macbook so....

Flaxh

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016

1. Best battery life.
6. Way cheaper
9. Physical keys

I think the trick the computer does to render the touch bar is really going to cause problems with 1st and 3rd party apps for a long time.

I think most people will agree with me on one point - apple should have given everyone the TouchID sensor. That is the #1 thing we are missing - however with all the money saved I could get a Gen2 Apple Watch to unlock my macbook so....

Yeah, I just wish we had a regular 13" version with 4 ports, better ram, touch ID and so on... Touchbar should be optional on both sizes.

borgusio

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
Hello eveyone, I just dropped my order for a 13" TB and got a cheap MB 12 instead. I will resell it as soon as the situation is clearer.

My issue regarding the two ports is that I would like to connect the following to my macbook:
- eGPU (1 port)
- 5 K Monitor (1 or two ports)
- dock with usb, firewire and ethernet ports
- charger
-> if I manage to do this I can substitute my mac mini and mb12 wirh one single machine.

If I count all ports needed, I come up with 4/5 ports. How would you reduce the whole setup to make it with two ports?

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Hello eveyone, I just dropped my order for a 13" TB and got a cheap MB 12 instead. I will resell it as soon as the situation is clearer.

My issue regarding the two ports is that I would like to connect the following to my macbook:
- eGPU (1 port)
- charger
-> if I manage to do this I can substitute my mac mini and mb12 wirh one single machine.

If I count all ports needed, I come up with 4/5 ports. How would you reduce the whole setup to make it with two ports?

I believe you could probable do it with this: https://www.owcdigital.com/products/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-3-dock-overview

The 5k monitor would take one port and the dock would take another. Connect the eGPU to a USB-C port on the dock. The dock is externally powered so power is not an issue. The dock should be able to handle everything else with multiple usb, firewire 800, ethernet, etc -- but if there *still* is a need for other connections you'll have an open USB-C to daisy chain more devices.

So the question is whether or not this has enough bandwidth for the eGPU in this setup. Both ports on the 13" nTB are a full 40GB/s, so I would imagine so unless there is some limitation in the dock (it states up to 40GB/s for its connectors, yet at the same time can't drive a 5k display -- I'm no expert here so not sure why that might be). Most likely though your other peripherals will barely take up much of that bandwidth (ie. you'll have 35+ GB/s to drive the eGPU).

borgusio

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
I believe you could probable do it with this: https://www.owcdigital.com/products/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-3-dock-overview

The 5k monitor would take one port and the dock would take another. The dock is externally powered so you would still have one extra USB-C port available if you want to daisy chain more devices. Probably not necessary as it can handle multiple usb, firewire 800, ethernet, etc.

So the question is whether or not this has enough bandwidth for the eGPU in this setup. Both ports on the 13" nTB are a full 40GB/s, so I would imagine so unless there is some limitation in the dock (it states up to 40GB/s for its connectors, yet at the same time can't drive a 5k display -- I'm no expert here so not sure why that might be). Most likely though your other peripherals will barely take up much of that bandwidth (ie. you'll have 35+ GB/s to drive the eGPU).
Thanks, the owc dock is indeed what I have in mind. Do you know if it can charge the macbook as well? If so, I could usee one port for the dock and the other for the egpu. Then attach the monitor to the dock, given that it has enough bandwith for it... too many question marks, it would be great if someone with this dock could give some feedback!

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Thanks, the owc dock is indeed what I have in mind. Do you know if it can charge the macbook as well? If so, I could usee one port for the dock and the other for the egpu. Then attach the monitor to the dock, given that it has enough bandwith for it... too many question marks, it would be great if someone with this dock could give some feedback!

Yep! It's externally powered: "delivers charging power to your laptop and other devices"

It apparently can't drive a 5k display, so I believe it would be the other way around - 5k on a laptop port, eGPU off a dock port. I edited the post above to reflect this... it may not work due to some internal limitation so I'd probably contact OWC to find out. No one would have it yet unless it's a pre-release unit as it's coming out in Feb.

Here's more info on its capabilities. It seems the video limitation is due to an internal controller, not a bandwidth issue: http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...lore-returns-functionality-to-new-macbook-pro

Last edited:

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009

- eGPU (1 port)
- charger

If you buy the 5K LG monitor from Apple it will replace 3 cables for one single cable = monitor + power + usb hub

But you will need an rMBP for that. The 12"MB is not TB3 compatible.

borgusio

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
If you buy the 5K LG monitor from Apple it will replace 3 cables for one single cable = monitor + power + usb hub

But you will need an rMBP for that. The 12"MB is not TB3 compatible.
Mhmm... not sure. Firewire and ethernet are missing
[doublepost=1480786442][/doublepost]
Yep! It's externally powered: "delivers charging power to your laptop and other devices"

It apparently can't drive a 5k display, so I believe it would be the other way around - 5k on a laptop port, eGPU off a dock port. I edited the post above to reflect this... it may not work due to some internal limitation so I'd probably contact OWC to find out. No one would have it yet unless it's a pre-release unit as it's coming out in Feb.

Here's more info on its capabilities. It seems the video limitation is due to an internal controller, not a bandwidth issue: http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...lore-returns-functionality-to-new-macbook-pro
Makes sense. Now it remains to test wether the egpu would work well over the dock with all other devices attached at the same time. It have to wait until the first owc units are shipped in february and eventually consider a 4k monitor...

Edit: actually the 5k I want is the dell which can be driven by two usb-c. Therefore, I would attach the monitor to the dock with two usb-c and the egpu to the laptop! The laptop would be powered by the dock then...

Last edited:

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012

1. Best battery life.
6. Way cheaper
9. Physical keys

I thought there were reports of the non-TB 13" version having GPU issues as well? I'm tempted to upgrade but not if it means having potential hardware issues.

Some other questions I have for those who have made the jump:

- How has battery life been on this model?

- Is 16 GB of RAM really necessary?

- What are some recommended 4K monitors? Also, is it possible to scale resolution in such a fashion so that the native resolution is still 4K but the usable resolution is closer to 1080/1440p?

- Would it be possible to use this machine for some light gaming (namely to play titles like Kona, To The Moon, Stardew Valley, etc.)?

Last edited:
Reactions: m-a

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I thought there were reports of the non-TB 13" version having GPU issues as well? I'm tempted to upgrade but not if it means having potential hardware issues.

Some other questions I have for those who have made the jump:

- How has battery life been on this model?

- What are some recommended 4K monitors? Also, is it possible to scale resolution in such a fashion so that the native resolution is still 4K but the usable resolution is closer to 1080/1440p?

- Would it be possible to use this machine for some light gaming (namely to play titles like Kona, To The Moon, Stardew Valley, etc.)?

Mine freaks out when I reboot and log in. After log in the screen flickers, scrambles and acts plain nuts for a few seconds before it settles down. On a few occasions the color was way off and I had to reboot again to fix that.. Other than initial log in from boot, I don't have any screen issues..

Battery life has been good for me. About 9-10 hours at max brightness..

I don't game so I can't answer that, sorry..

Reactions: Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Mine freaks out when I reboot and log in. After log in the screen flickers, scrambles and acts plain nuts for a few seconds before it settles down. On a few occasions the color was way off and I had to reboot again to fix that.. Other than initial log in from boot, I don't have any screen issues..

Battery life has been good for me. About 9-10 hours at max brightness..

I don't game so I can't answer that, sorry..

Have you contacted Apple abut those issues?

That's awesome to hear you're getting great battery life though. My mid 2012 MBA averages about 3 hours. Then again my battery health is currently at 65%.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
No I have not as screen glitches appear to be the norm at the moment.. I assume it's software related..

I am 2nd guessing if I want the TB version though. Not really for the TB but the extra ports would be nice.. Not sure if I want to spend the extra $300..

For the extra $300 I'll get the TB (don't really care about it though) a slightly better processor, slightly faster RAM and 2 extra ports. But for that $300 I'll also get less battery life..

Why Apple, why? If the base had 3 ports I'd be happy and content.. I can manage with 2 but a 3rd would be nice to have..

I dunno... My Apple Store has a silver base TB in stock so I'd need to change colors as well IF I decide to swap.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room

1. Best battery life.
6. Way cheaper
9. Physical keys

I know this is in jest, but you guys are probably a bit biased. The ntMBP, although great in a number of ways, is just one preferred solution for some cases. Each of the 3 variants of the MBP have their virtues and downsides. I do envy your battery life though. I know, I'm probably being too serious for your intended effect.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Is anyone using their ntMBP with an external display? If so, at what res? How has the experience been? I'm considering such a configuration as opposed to a new iMac.

wiseoak1

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2012
Is anyone using their ntMBP with an external display? If so, at what res? How has the experience been? I'm considering such a configuration as opposed to a new iMac.
Also wanna know how the experience would be with the ntMBP and the LG Ultrafine 5K...
[doublepost=1480835992][/doublepost]

Is the 13" ntMBP with 2ghz and 16g ram enough to do serious Web & App development? Or should I consider the 2.4Ghz?

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011

I use my ntMBP with my Thunderbolt Display and it works very well. It's not 4K or 5K, but high enough resolution for me now and everything the performance is very smooth.

Reactions: Dick Whitman

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
The nth mbp would be the best option if it had 2 more legacy ports and an sd card reader.

but from what I've read I'm surprised that the cheapest version is also the most expandable and reliable in terms of battery life. Jobs would have had an epic meltdown If it were that way...

Flaxh

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016

I bought the LG 27UD88 and will post feedback when I receive it.

nTB would be with real winner for most with an extra port, Touch ID, an SD reader and £200 less.

Exactly, give us a nTB model with the same features and better battery.

Lou-X

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
I bought the LG 27UD88 and will post feedback when I receive it.

Exactly, give us a nTB model with the same features and better battery.
Please yes I'm very interested in feedback with LG 27ud88!

I'm pulling the trigger on the nTB 2.0/16/512!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.