Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
Just reaffirming that we are 2016 MBP Master Race.

1. Best battery life.
2. No bootcamp blown speakers.
3. No graphics artifacts/glitches like 15" crew
4. Better iGPU than 15" (smooth scroll)
5. No missed TB keypresses
6. Way cheaper
7. Removable SSD component
8. No touchbar graphical glitches
9. Physical keys

I think Apple really, really goofed up the 15".

I think the trick the computer does to render the touch bar is really going to cause problems with 1st and 3rd party apps for a long time.

I think most people will agree with me on one point - apple should have given everyone the TouchID sensor. That is the #1 thing we are missing - however with all the money saved I could get a Gen2 Apple Watch to unlock my macbook so....

Master Race?? Seriously?

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
I just packed up my 2016- 13" non touch bar, 2.0/16/256 to go back to Apple.

I really liked mostly everything about it, and its a well made machine; however, I only got 7 hours (actual clocked time) with my light usage; internet, and a few short Facebook and Youtube videos with the brightness up to about 70-75%, as I'm not going to look at a screen at 50%.

If I had gotten about 8 hours it would have been a keeper, but at the current price, it just wasn't a good buy in my opinion. Maybe I'll go for a refurb next year if the price it right, or I'll go for a 2015.

It's like someone designed a nice small case without thinking about the battery.

Last edited:

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Just waiting for Apple to fix the display flickering issue on the HDMI output on the MultiPort adapter, supposedly fixed in the latest betas and affecting all models using this adapter. Other than that, still smooth sailing ... this thing is a rock, a true workhorse. :D

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011

I really liked mostly everything about it, and its a well made machine; however, I only got 7 hours (actual clocked time) with my light usage; internet, and a few short Facebook and Youtube videos with the brightness up to about 70-75%, as I'm not going to look at a screen at 50%.

If I had gotten about 8 hours it would have been a keeper, but at the current price, it just wasn't a good buy in my opinion. Maybe I'll go for a refurb next year if the price it right, or I'll go for a 2015.

It's like someone designed a nice small case without thinking about the battery.

I remember back in the early 2000s, around when I first got a notebook computer, 3 to 4 hours of battery life was considered very good. My first Toshiba could barely reach 3 hours. Now here we are with computers lasting over 10 hours on a single charge. Some even up to 15. Recalling this time, for me even 7 hours is awesome. I went through a complete charge of my ntbMBP this week and got over 8 hours, though my brightness was lower than 75%, maybe 50%. Its amazing how much battery tech has improved in the past ten or so years. Soon we will be complaining that 20 hours isn't enough!

Reactions: marc55

Salaryman Ryan

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2015
I remember back in the early 2000s, around when I first got a notebook computer, 3 to 4 hours of battery life was considered very good. My first Toshiba could barely reach 3 hours. Now here we are with computers lasting over 10 hours on a single charge. Some even up to 15. Recalling this time, for me even 7 hours is awesome. I went through a complete charge of my ntbMBP this week and got over 8 hours, though my brightness was lower than 75%, maybe 50%. Its amazing how much battery tech has improved in the past ten or so years. Soon we will be complaining that 20 hours isn't enough!

I look forward to my future 20 hour battery life laptop :)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I look forward to my future 20 hour battery life laptop :)

Worry not, Apple will just continuously reduce the size of battery, even when not necessary, to make it that ideal yet dubious claim of 10 hours in the case of other laptops of theirs that have a TB :D

To go beyond the mark of 10, would be criminal and immoral.

Same with iDevices
[doublepost=1481264031][/doublepost]
The nTB seems to be the new release that Apple got right. 1st gen touchbar machines seem to have lots of lemons in the batch, namely screen and battery issues.

screen specific to TB pro's? or screen specific to the touchbar itself (like the OLED strip)

Reactions: Salaryman Ryan

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Waiting for the delivery soon (nTB 2.0/16/512).

This thread been quite lately, and that's good. I mean, I hope everyone is enjoying the device without the need of raging for something.

Any new feedback after some weeks of usage? The only 3d that pings like crazy is the one about the battery life, but I don't see messages about this model. Still going good without main issues? Cheers

I think overall no issues. Some people may miss the lack of ports, and some may wish the web cam was finally 1080p+, but otherwise it is functioning as expected for most.

Getting used to the keyboard is quite easy, although I haven't had to do pro-longed typing, so when I do, i'll see how it fares.

Reactions: Lou-X

febLey

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2016
Germany

Which browser?

DanJBS

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2014
UK
I am planning on returning my 15 inch model and getting the 13 inch nTB 2.0, 16 gb, 512.

I will be using this a lot connected to a 4k monitor using an USB-C to hdmi or displayport adaptor. Do you guys use it with this setup? Does it overhead or can it easily handle the external monitor? Mainly simple tasks video streaming, facebook, skype etc.

My 15 inch looses wi-fi when I connect the external hub on the left side ports. The 13 inch has both ports on the left, have you had any issues with that ?

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Which browser?

Safari
[doublepost=1481285030][/doublepost]

We have become spoiled!

Lou-X

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Just waiting for Apple to fix the display flickering issue on the HDMI output on the MultiPort adapter, supposedly fixed in the latest betas and affecting all models using this adapter. Other than that, still smooth sailing ... this thing is a rock, a true workhorse. :D

I really like how you define it a true workhorse. That is exactly what I need =)
Going to push it to the limit I guess..

Lou-X

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
I am planning on returning my 15 inch model and getting the 13 inch nTB 2.0, 16 gb, 512.

I will be using this a lot connected to a 4k monitor using an USB-C to hdmi or displayport adaptor. Do you guys use it with this setup? Does it overhead or can it easily handle the external monitor? Mainly simple tasks video streaming, facebook, skype etc.

My 15 inch looses wi-fi when I connect the external hub on the left side ports. The 13 inch has both ports on the left, have you had any issues with that ?
Well I hope it can do way more than that attached to a display. I am looking for a setup with two displays 4k+1080 for hard multitasking with different programs ( everything but video editing).
So I would be very disappointed if not capable of it.

Reactions: DanJBS

Mannaerts

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Belgium, Antwerp
Just reaffirming that we are 2016 MBP Master Race.

1. Best battery life.
2. No bootcamp blown speakers.
3. No graphics artifacts/glitches like 15" crew
4. Better iGPU than 15" (smooth scroll)
5. No missed TB keypresses
6. Way cheaper
7. Removable SSD component
8. No touchbar graphical glitches
9. Physical keys

I think Apple really, really goofed up the 15".

I think the trick the computer does to render the touch bar is really going to cause problems with 1st and 3rd party apps for a long time.

I think most people will agree with me on one point - apple should have given everyone the TouchID sensor. That is the #1 thing we are missing - however with all the money saved I could get a Gen2 Apple Watch to unlock my macbook so....

So we can unlock the nTB macbook pro also with a S2 Apple Watch?
I thought only the TB could do that

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London

Should be fairly easy to handle external monitors, even multiple.

DanJBS

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2014
UK
Thanks for the replies!

After the anouncement and seing the price for the new macbooks I decided to get a 2015 model. I got the lower specd 15" one first, that one had an issue with wi fi when lid wasn't fully open or closed. Took it back and got the higher specd one for £2000. The second one was overheating like crazy, fans running over 6000 rotations and temperature reaching 99 deg. Took that one back, re-evaluated the new model and thought what's a couple hundred more ... at least I get the latest tech, and so I did :).

Due to some issues with the new model from low battery life, 4k not working, some wi-fi issues and buggiest software I've seen on a mac so far, I'm taking it back, and I hope that the nTB model is better as there weren't so many changes compared to the TB. I really like the new macbooks, don't get me wrong, but can't justify paying so much for something that doesn't work well. Not a big fan of the TB but love everything else about it including the keyboard and touchpad.

Now, I've spent too much time troubleshooting and playing the waiting game. I am NOT going back to Windows and I have already sold my iMac so I don't want to buy and have to return again, or at least if I get a faulty item I want to be sure that it's a fault with the unit and not the whole line (like it seems to be with the 15" models). So far everyone seems to be happy with nTB but I couldn't find a youtube of someone actually using one connected to a 4k display.

Reactions: m-a

Peptide

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
Not a huge issue, but sometimes watching youtube videos on chrome, I will get a slight flicker on the video (only the video, no where else on the screen). I don't recall getting the same flicker on safari youtube. Would this be considered a GPU issue?

ka-spot

Suspended
May 23, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
one day with non tb base 13" and it's definitely an upgrade (coming from early 2013 13" MBPr). actually everything is better – display, keyboard (amazing! the thing i like the most), touchpad, display, hardware, weight, size, battery life).

just awesome.
thank you !

Reactions: DeApp1e

geachy92

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
UK
So we can unlock the nTB macbook pro also with a S2 Apple Watch?
I thought only the TB could do that

It's not limited to the 2016 models of any MacBook, I think all Macs released since 2013 are compatible, it's down to the kind of Bluetooth chip you Mac has.

http://www.redmondpie.com/requireme...uto-unlock-feature-of-macos-sierra-watchos-3/

The Mac needs to be 2013 model or newer. Also, users will need to have an Apple Watch running watchOS 3 or later, as well as an iPhone running iOS 10 or later. The Apple ID/iCl0ud account that is used on the devices will need to have Two-Factor Authentication enabled (NOT Two-Step Verification), and of course, all three devices will need to be signed in with the same iCloud account and Apple ID for the process to be successful

racostaf

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2015
Colombia
Well, i have a question... just one week using my new ntMBP... so, is normal, like the new iphone 7, than the edges are just a little different than the screen? I mean, in the right and left i note a different color than the rest of the screen, maybe need time, but if you see something, please tell me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.