Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
people having wifi dropouts, is this occurring at all with apple official dongles (multi av or usbc to usb3)?

I do not believe so,

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Money well spent!

As for battery, I get 12.5-14h with light usage; 11-11.5 with moderate-light usage and 7.5-8.5 with moderate usage. Enjoy your machine!

I have noticed that part of the variance in battery life is due to constant wifi use (streaming, heavy web access/downloads, cloud storage (and subsequent spotlight indexing)

Garage Battle

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Orlando, FL
I received my wife's nTB13 yesterday. I ordered the base model with 512gb. (also have one for myself on order)

I tried my usb-c hub and 4k wasn't available, Wi-fi dropped. So basically the same as the 15 inch one I have just returned. Also when I plugged an external drive with a usb 3 to usb C adaptor wi-fi went down as well. I tried the Apple extension and it seems to work with that, but strangely when I plug in the adaptor alone wi-fi works. Only when I plug the usb cable in the adaptor it stops working. I am expecting another usb-c to displayport extension today (yey the joy of usb c)

I know Apple suggest original accessories but it has to be compatible with other brands. Not everything you plug into your machine can be Apple made. Not sure what to do now but I'm starting to really hate this usb-C thing.

Love the laptop btw, if only these issues get sorted. Do you think they can fix this with a software update?

supposedly there is a chipset difference that may take a while to get ironed out. some existing hubs/adapters may not be directly compatible.

Ive used apples VGA adapter (USB-A-VGA-USB-C charge) so far with no wifi dropouts, BUT it may depend if you are using 2.4ghz vs 5ghz wifi, which freq, etc. Ive also used the Belkin ethernet and an Insignia HDMI adapter, all with 2.4ghz wifi no problems.

going to try and be patient while they get this ironed out.

btw my old SP3 would drop wifi when I plugged in an HDMI cord sometimes - just wonky tech.

clangers23

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2016
Just picked one up finally myself, base model, I need it to function as an ultraportable. Battery life seems fine with the lower clock CPU, larger battery and non-touch I'm getting around the nine hour mark. Very happy with it, this thread appears to be one of the few positive threads for the new MBP on here.

Reactions: DeApp1e

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
I really think about getting the new MacBook Pro 13-inch model without touch bar. The battery of my old 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina is not that great anymore and I really like the new screen with wider color gamut on the new machines. And it think the new touch bar is a bit gimmicky - and the models too expensive...

Did anyone choose the new 13-inch model without touch bar? And how do you like it so far?

Will it be powerful enough for Photoshop/Illustrator/Sketch designing websites and apps?

Last edited:
Reactions: RickTaylor

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
You guys are really making me want to consider the non touch bar version now.,. Haha! To be honest, I was stuck between the two models and which one to get, and of course the touch bar looks so gorgeous and I'd love to have to Touch ID, but it seems there are more issues with the touch bar model. And, a lot of you are happy with the non touch bar model so it seems like a great computer.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
I'm really considering the no touch bar model (base model). At the moment I have the 15-inch rMBP (Mid 2014) base model - but the battery is not that great anymore and I like the smaller size of the new 13-inch. The touch bar is a bit gimmicky and not something that I would use. But will it be enough for photoshop/illustrator/sketch - designing websites and apps? I plan on connecting it to a 4K/5K USB-C monitor.

Reactions: Lou-X

febLey

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2016
Germany
Got my machine today, it's absolutely amazing so far. The build quality is unmatched, the screen looks gorgeous, I really like the keyboard and I'm blown away by the SSD speed. I think I'm in love.

But keep in mind that I'm coming from a 4 year old Lenovo Notebook, which had a terrible screen and an awful trackpad.

It's my first own Mac, but I'm very experienced with macOS, at work I'm currently using a 21.5" mid 2011 iMac.

saytheenay

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
But will it be enough for photoshop/illustrator/sketch - designing websites and apps?
I used CS6 on a 2013 MBA (8/i7/512) for a few years without issue. I would try to limit the number of open files in PS and IL to keep it responsive, but it performed well. At one point, I ran 5 VMs in VirtualBox and it performed well.

If I found anything limiting, it was the 8 gigs of ram--could always use more ram. But if I quit programs as I was done with them, I didn't have any issues.

dingclancy23

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2015
Would be interesting if people are reporting much better battery life with Sierra 10.2. It seems that some of the touch-bar users are happier so if the the non-touch bar laptops have even better battery life, it becomes a lot more compelling.

Calleknug

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
Would be interesting if people are reporting much better battery life with Sierra 10.2. It seems that some of the touch-bar users are happier so if the the non-touch bar laptops have even better battery life, it becomes a lot more compelling.
Interesting to hear if people with nTB are getting better battery aswell. Just got my nTB13 yesterday after sending back my 15TB. Today I've used it for 90 min half of the time video watching and half reading pdf/internet on safari and it's at 90% right now

Pyali

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2016
people having wifi dropouts, is this occurring at all with apple official dongles (multi av or usbc to usb3)?

I do not believe so,

I am using the official multi av dongle + unofficial tb3 to usb 3.0 adapters all the time and havent experienced a drop out

xdevmed

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2016
Guys I'm at cycle 7. The design capacity says 4790mAh and my full charge capacity is like at 4650 mAh is it normal?, it has been like 12 days I'm using this machine.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Guys I'm at cycle 7. The design capacity says 4790mAh and my full charge capacity is like at 4650 mAh is it normal?, it has been like 12 days I'm using this machine.

You will usually receive them within anything up to +1-3% more or less than the design capacity brand new. Quite normal.

Reactions: JohnnyGo

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul

It's odd how small the battery capacity is on the new 13" MBP
Here I am with 5294mAh left on my 12" rMB

clangers23

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2016
Interesting to hear if people with nTB are getting better battery aswell. Just got my nTB13 yesterday after sending back my 15TB. Today I've used it for 90 min half of the time video watching and half reading pdf/internet on safari and it's at 90% right now
It's going to have better battery life than the 13" TB models simply because it's doesn't have the additional drain of the touch bar display, it has a lower clocked CPU and a larger battery. I'm seeing comfortably over nine hours routinely. Being able to charge from an external battery via USB Type-C is very useful. It's the best ultraportable I've ever owned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.