Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inesc

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2016
Well, i have a question... just one week using my new ntMBP... so, is normal, like the new iphone 7, than the edges are just a little different than the screen? I mean, in the right and left i note a different color than the rest of the screen, maybe need time, but if you see something, please tell me...

Yes mine has that issue. My ntMBP is slightly pinker/warmer on the left corners -- it is visible when looking at webpages like this forum. It is a very slight color shift but definitely visible especially when you compare to the right corners. I suspect it has to do with uneven anti-reflective coating or whatever else might be causing the left side of the display to be pinker/warmer...

racostaf

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2015
Colombia
Yes mine has that issue. My ntMBP is slightly pinker/warmer on the left corners -- it is visible when looking at webpages like this forum. It is a very slight color shift but definitely visible especially when you compare to the right corners. I suspect it has to do with uneven anti-reflective coating or whatever else might be causing the left side of the display to be pinker/warmer...
And what have you thought about it? Give time to see if it improves or make a change? Someone else?

Cache

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
I am contemplating on returning my tMBP 13" with 16GB of ram and order a base ntMBP. The only thing holding me back is me not knowing the difference in performance between the two configurations.

I mostly use chrome, PDF viewer, excel, word and from time to time I will have to analyse large image files for my research. I may need to run Windows to get access to some programs which are not available for mac. When I am relaxing I am simply using chrome (youtube), iTunes, VLC, those kind of things. However, I am looking to invest some time in learning Photoshop or Lightroom and pick up photography as a hobby like I always wanted. Last but not least I'd like to record some acoustic guitar and vocals.

Some additional information:
  • I have taken the RAM questionnaire, which can be found on these forums, and I got a score of 12; this suggests I would be fine with 8GB of RAM.
  • I do not have to have the touch bar, but I can see its appeal. The potential is there, but I believe I would be just as happy to have normal keys there instead of a sliver of touch screen.
  • May want to hook it up to a 4K screen in the long run, can the ntMBP handle this smoothly?

Really eager to hear what you would do in this situation. Anyone care to pitch in and help me make the most logical and wise decision? I appreciate any input!

Last edited:
Reactions: FifaFrancesco

FifaFrancesco

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2013
Some additional information:
  • I have taken the RAM questionnaire, which can be found on these forums, and I got a score of 12; this suggests I would be fine with 8GB of RAM.
  • I do not have to have the touch bar, but I can see its appeal. The potential is there, but I believe I would be just as happy to have normal keys there instead of a sliver of touch screen.
  • May want to hook it up to a 4K screen in the long run, can the ntMBP handle this smoothly?

Really eager to hear what you would do in this situation. Anyone care to pitch in and help me make the most logical and wise decision? I appreciate any input!

Pretty much in the exact same camp here, since my tbMBP is getting at most 4 hours of battery plus experiencing major graphics glitches. I've had enough to be honest and just want a working computer as well. Only worried about the whole 4K thing.

Reactions: nikster0029

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I just packed up my 2016- 13" non touch bar, 2.0/16/256 to go back to Apple.

I really liked mostly everything about it, and its a well made machine; however, I only got 7 hours (actual clocked time) with my light usage; internet, and a few short Facebook and Youtube videos with the brightness up to about 70-75%, as I'm not going to look at a screen at 50%.

If I had gotten about 8 hours it would have been a keeper, but at the current price, it just wasn't a good buy in my opinion. Maybe I'll go for a refurb next year if the price it right, or I'll go for a 2015.

It's like someone designed a nice small case without thinking about the battery.
SO your save a $100 on a refurb next year....Sad

fpenta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
I went for a 15" 2015 with 2.8, 1TB and iris pro because the new 15" MacBook Pro seemed too buggy but I guess I'll buy the nTB as a secondary machine if I need to go very portable!
Looks this is the only one that came out well!

Reactions: kim2272

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Hey guys. I just exchanged my touch bar for the base non touch bar version at best buy.

I really hope the battery is noticeably better. I was highly considering the 2015 bade model, because it was 300 dollars cheaper. But I fell in love with the speakers, screen, and keyboard on the touch bar version.

As long as the battery lasts noticeably longer, I will be happy. Went from 512 SSD to the 256 but I am not too concerned about it. Ended up getting 600 dollars back and I have a feeling im going to end up seeing the touch bar version was nowhere near worth 600 dollars more. lets hope!

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Hey guys. I just exchanged my touch bar for the base non touch bar version at best buy.

I really hope the battery is noticeably better. I was highly considering the 2015 bade model, because it was 300 dollars cheaper. But I fell in love with the speakers, screen, and keyboard on the touch bar version.

As long as the battery lasts noticeably longer, I will be happy. Went from 512 SSD to the 256 but I am not too concerned about it. Ended up getting 600 dollars back and I have a feeling im going to end up seeing the touch bar version was nowhere near worth 600 dollars more. lets hope!

Money well spent!

As for battery, I get 12.5-14h with light usage; 11-11.5 with moderate-light usage and 7.5-8.5 with moderate usage. Enjoy your machine!

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I went out and got the BB $100 off the base model yesterday. So far it seems like a great laptop. I have to sell my iPad Pro because it does not make sense keeping both. The only thing I will miss from the iPad is boom beach lol..... It took a bit long to get it setup to my liking. First I did a time machine restore from my iMac and was not happy with the extra garbage so then I did a complete restore from recovery and only added what I needed. Seemed very slow downloading purchased apps from the App Store but that maybe because all what was going on when new and just firing up. It seems quicker now after 12 hours though. I will see how it goes over the next ten days because something has to go, this or the iPad.

Last edited:

Cache

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Money well spent!

As for battery, I get 12.5-14h with light usage; 11-11.5 with moderate-light usage and 7.5-8.5 with moderate usage. Enjoy your machine!
Could you define what light and moderate use means in your case?

Bocktagon

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2016
I went out and got the BB $100 off the base model yesterday. So far it seems like a great laptop. I have to sell my iPad Pro because it does not make sense keeping both. The only thing I will miss from the iPad is boom beach lol..... It took a bit long to get it setup to my liking. First I did a time machine restore from my iMac and was not happy with the extra garbage so then I did a complete restore from recovery and only added what I needed. Seemed very slow downloading purchased apps from the App Store but that maybe because all what was going on when new and just firing up. It seems quicker now after 12 hours though. I will see how it goes over the next ten days because something has to go, this or the iPad.

What are you going to sell your iPad Pro for? I've been thinking of picking one up.

dark_mark

Suspended
Nov 5, 2016
I put it on Craig's list for a bundle deal. 128GB with iPencil, Apple Back cover, Smart Keyboard front cover for $800. I have got a few emails but no buyer yet.
These 128gb iPad pros were available for $529 on black Friday from target. So it's understandable why you have no buyers.

sctw

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2016
Just picked up a ntb (upgraded HD to 512) this morning. Have to say happy w. the choice so far. Touchbar looked nice and def. wouldn't of minded 2 extra ports but used that $350 saved on the LG 4K monitor. Plus lots of USB-C hubs coming next year. Coming from 2010 mbP this is a big step up (and adobe CS5 works!)

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
My nTB is working great, an upgrade in almost every way from my MBA. Starting to get used to the keyboard now, no complaints.

Only complaint... resume time is slow, maybe 2-3 seconds from lid open. MBA was 1 second! Hope that can improve this in a future update.

Macalway

macrumors 601
Aug 7, 2013
The nTB is a fine machine. I have the TB version and the touchbar is essentially worthless, (but maybe ok). Nice ports though :D. I like the lower voltage arrangement with the nTB

The good news is that I can always trade 'down'. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: raqball

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The nTB is a fine machine. I have the TB version and the touchbar is essentially worthless, (but maybe ok). Nice ports though :D. I like the lower voltage arrangement with the nTB

The good news is that I can always trade 'down'. :)

From peeping it at the store-
I dislike the aesthetic of TB off, the long bar substituting F keys looks too odd

and on, it looks too gimmicky and flashy, and emoji hyped

Just speaking from appearance perspective, I haven't sat down and put TB functionality through its paces or anythingg.

Macalway

macrumors 601
Aug 7, 2013
From peeping it at the store-
I dislike the aesthetic of TB off, the long bar substituting F keys looks too odd

and on, it looks too gimmicky and flashy, and emoji hyped

Just speaking from appearance perspective, I haven't sat down and put TB functionality through its paces or anythingg.

The good thing about the touch bar is the light touch. So you just don't have to press anything. It's a little nice this way, and you can swap functions around to your liking. Also, the touch id is good (if I could make it remember). Other than that, meh. This doesn't really add up to anything, BTW. The problem with it is it's too visual. It's a bad angle, and location. Keys make more sense.

I mean, if its such hot idea, why not make the whole keyboard this way? Actually, this is a possibility I guess :D Who TF knows.

Note: Others will have their own experience.

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Could you define what light and moderate use means in your case?

Light - Using Safari to browse FB, edit my LinkedIn, take notes and Word. Probably staring at my screen 50% of time and not doing anything serious.

Moderate - Using Safari non-stop for my research paper, always opening at least 20 tabs at the same time. Running Word and PowerPoint here and there. Spotify in the background.

Moderate-Light: somewhere in between that.

I set my brightness as 55% though (7th level), and 0% keyboard light, so YMMV.

Garage Battle

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Orlando, FL
so today I had going (in windows) for about 9 hours:

Powerpoint
Citrix GotoMeeting
Boson netsim
Firefox
Outlook

and it didnt skip a beat. I really miss my digitizer / pen though from my Vaio Z Canvas

DanJBS

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2014
UK
I received my wife's nTB13 yesterday. I ordered the base model with 512gb. (also have one for myself on order)

I tried my usb-c hub and 4k wasn't available, Wi-fi dropped. So basically the same as the 15 inch one I have just returned. Also when I plugged an external drive with a usb 3 to usb C adaptor wi-fi went down as well. I tried the Apple extension and it seems to work with that, but strangely when I plug in the adaptor alone wi-fi works. Only when I plug the usb cable in the adaptor it stops working. I am expecting another usb-c to displayport extension today (yey the joy of usb c)

I know Apple suggest original accessories but it has to be compatible with other brands. Not everything you plug into your machine can be Apple made. Not sure what to do now but I'm starting to really hate this usb-C thing.

Love the laptop btw, if only these issues get sorted. Do you think they can fix this with a software update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.